Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/14/2004 7:52:19 PM   
Nikademus

thx to a bug (now fixed) the Soviets activated in a test game with Mogami about a month ago.

In early 1942, its actually not a big deal for Japan as the Sov's dont have THAT much power in which to do anything as of yet. I actually had Mog going on the OFFENSIVE against me, sort of testing the defences so to speak. He destroyed one Soviet fortress unit but it cost him some troops and alot of time to do it afterwhich he withdrew back in Korea.

For my part....i advanced into Northern Manchuria and ran into a hard fight for the northern city there and had to settle for trading bombardments.

(in reply to Becket)
Post #: 61
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/14/2004 10:07:41 PM   
Onime No Kyo

You two obviously have all the finer details of this game figgured out. Do you have any quick tips for the rest of us in regards to streamlining industry and production? Seems like that is going to be a major part of the game.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 62
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 1:28:51 AM   
mogami

Hi, Luskan I am still searching for a cure for you. Are you sure you don't remember how you caught squirter disease (Nigrospora sphaerica)?

Diseases are among the most significant constraints to banana production in the subtropics. Fusarium wilt, caused by Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cubense, is the most widespread and important problem. Important dessert and cooking bananas are affected throughout the subtropics. Effective fungicides do not exist for this fatal disease, but genetic resistance is available in many useful lines, some of which have been developed and deployed by the breeding programs. Another fatal disease, Moko (Pseudomonas solanacearum), is less important, and can be controlled with cultural practices.
Other important diseases of the plant are usually not fatal, but can limit production severely. Of these banana bunchy top, caused by the banana bunchy top virus, is the most destructive. Fortunately, it has a somewhat restricted geographic distribution, and can be controlled by frequent rouging of affected plants. The spiral nematode, Helicotylenchus multicynctus, a minor pest in the tropics, is the most serious of the nematodes in the subtropics. Although regulatory practices have made nematicides unavailable in many countries, hot water treatment of rhizomes is effective.

The most important leaf diseases are yellow Sigatoka (Mycosphaerella musicola) and freckle (Guignardia musae). These and other foliar diseases can be serious during periods of high rainfall, but can be controlled with protectant and systemic fungicides and plantation sanitation.

Several different diseases reduce the quality and post-harvest life of fruit. The most important of these include anthracnose (Colletotrichum musae), cigar-end rot (Trachysphaeria fructigena and Verticillium theobromae), crown rot (Ceratocystis paradoxa, C. musae, Fusarium pallidoroseum, Lasiodiplodia theobromae and V. theobromae), finger rot (L. theobromae), Johnson spot (Magnaporthe grisea) and squirter disease (Nigrospora sphaerica). As for the leaf diseases, plantation sanitation and fungicide treatments are indicated.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 63
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 1:37:51 AM   
Mr.Frag

The only cure, no more dancing!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 64
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 1:41:00 AM   
Nikademus

DEATH TO THE BANANA!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 65
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 3:19:06 AM   
Luskan

Well, once I sort of accidentally invaded the soviet union - and it wasn't a good idea (so did Raver). The garrison is still above the minimum acceptable level so the Ruskies aren't invited to the party yet. Unless they want to joni my side that is.

This turn was another mixed turn, with Jolo falling (lots of smacked up b17s on the ground), my troops withdrawing from Wuchow (where Raver outnumbered me so I withdrew to my own fortress to wait for my reinforcements racing down the road) and I also took Rabaul - took far too long to take the place, but now it is mine, I've got a HQ and a CD unit there, soon I'll be flying mavises on air search and betties on naval attack.

My troop in the PI knocked the fort at tugeragao down by one - and all my troops haven't even arrived yet - so next turn or the turn after that will fall.

In Malaya, my troops forced Raver's survivors into the mountains where they'll starve from between Khota Bharu and Kuantan. This frees up all these troops to swing inland and across the peninsula, while my troops at Khota Bharu are almost at Alor Star, where they'll sweep down the other side of the peninsula.

My 2nd, more daring envelopment would have worked - only Raver raced 50000 troops (mostly aussies) into johore Bharu and so I withdrew the Imperial Guards back to where the 55ths, the 15th army HQ and a couple of little eng and art units are preparing at Mersing. If Raver had evacuated the aussies, I'd have Johore Bharu by now and all the troops north of it would be starving. Things still going well however in spite of this little set back.

With jolo taken, I turn my eyes to the other occupied small island, Cebu, and instead of repeating last game's mistakes, this time those troops can rot there for a while, as I assemble an amphib force to crush them. The truth of it is however, that those forces would have come from my two big brigades on Mindanao - but I've already assigned them to another op.

One thing I'll advise all you young jap players - spread your air search floatplanes as far and wide as possible. You'll come to love the mavises - as they cover a significant portion of the map (although there are very few of them to begin with). The smaller jakes and petes and alfs barely count.

I lost another sub today off the west coast.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to Becket)
Post #: 66
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 3:23:01 AM   
Luskan

All the banana fans out there know you guys are just jealous - I imagine that a dancing or frolicking banana is about to become very fashionable on these boards! In the meantime I'll have to live with the burden of being a trend setter . . .

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 67
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 4:21:59 AM   
Raverdave

Things are really becoming dire in Malaya, Luskan's flanking move at Mersing has caught me off guard and as a result it looks as if Singapore will fall sooner rather that later. The problem with Malaya is that you have troops all strung out along the peninsula and so are open to flanking moves from the sea on the eastern side. There is little that you can do to aprt from send all of the troops in Malaya strait to Singapore from turn one, but that simply allows the IJN player to take Malaya with no contest. Also I did not challenge the IJN at sea, and I am glad that I didn't as Luskan has some 6 BBs in the area and would have made mince-meat of the RN units. Good news is that I have at last put a torp into one of the IJN BBs that were bombarding Mersing, but the cost in aircraft has been high.

China is going well, with the exception of the northern flank which is still under stress. The main problem with moving all of my troops back into the badlands is that there is little in the way of supply there so I either say put and get smacked by Luskan or run and starve. Some choice.

In the PI Clark is is well on the way to being a fort level 9 by the time Luskan gets there so there will be a mother of all land battles when it starts. I pledge to hold the PI to the last man and bullet.

I am having luck against Luskan's subs by simply forming two ASW TFs of my best Dog Dog ASW ships.....each with either a 8 or 6 ASW rating, plus the fact that luskan is hugging either the coast hex or an Island hex makes my job easier. The trouble is that I only have two such TFs for the entire Pacific, so they are in great demand.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 68
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 5:35:31 AM   
Raverdave

Disease name Fusarium wilt
Other Names Fusarium vascular wilt
Causative Agent

Fusarium oxysporum
Synonyms Variants of F. oxysporum that are specific for different plant hosts are known and differentiated as f. (formae) or f.sp. (forma speciae); e.g. F. oxysporum f. sp. lycopersici attacks the tomato (Lycopersidon esculentum)
Crops Affected A wide range of vegetables, plantation crops, ornamentals and turf grasses are attacked.
Description of the Agent Fusarium oxysporum is an imperfect fungus (one with no known sexual stage) belonging to the ascomycetes or sac fungi. It spreads by means of asexual spores (microconidia, macroconidia, or chlamydospores.) Chlamydospores can survive in the soil and mycelium can survive and overwinter in the waste from infected plants. The fungus is extremely widespread (also described as a cosmopolitan distribution) and once it becomes established in an area, it is essentially impossible to eliminate it.
Symptoms The first sign of Fusartium vascular wilt is often a yellowing or clearing of the outer edges of younger leaves followed by drooping. The infection is already well established as the fungus usually invades the plant through the roots where it travels through the xylem of the plant that moves water and nutrients from the root to the crown of the plant. As the mycelium ramifies through the plant, the xylem becomes obstructed and the plant wilts and dies. Older plants may survive but are often stunted in growth. Typically, infected plants show a ring of dead brown vascular tissue near the bottom of the stem..
Prevention and Treatment It is very difficult to remove F. oxysporum when it becomes established as it can grow saprophytically (on dead organic matter such as crop waste) in the absence of a susceptible crop. The only effective response is soil sterilization, which is far too expensive for most farmers. Some control can be achieved with fungicides but the use of resistant cultivars of plants is the preferred approach.,
Other Comments Fusarium wilt of tomato is probably the most economically significant disease caused by F. oxysporum, but it shows a large number of formae speciale that are specific pathogens of other plants including:
Asparagus;
Banana;
Carnation;
Cotton
Cucurbits (squash, melons, cucumbers);
Ginger;
Snowpeas;
Soybean.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 69
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 9:12:12 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

there will be a mother of all land battles

I remember some guy with a mustache using that same phrase about a dozen years back.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 70
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 12:29:49 PM   
Raverdave

Well my troops in Malaya are holding the line! Luskan sent in one of his best divisions to Johore Bharu and they got the living crap kicked out of them so bad that they ran all the way back to Mersing with their little banananananana peels between their legs! I am just so proud of my boys that I could cry!

And not only did the grunts write themselves a new battle honour, but the airfarce did the same scoring two torps hits against Luskan's pesky BBs.

In yet another attack against the two divisions holding at Tangeroa (Blast how do you spell that again?) in the PI, refused to yield to massive japanese pressure and fought off an attack against odds of ten to one ! I tell you these men are ALL heros! One and all !

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 12/18/41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 47,46

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 12
PC Ch 11, heavy damage
PC Ch 10
PC Ch 6
PC Ch 5
PC Ch 4
PG Kamitsu Maru
PG Aso Maru
MSW W.12
MSW W.11
DD Tomozuru
APD APD-2
APD APD-1
DD Yamagumo

Allied Ships
SS S-36, hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 134,40

Japanese Ships
SS I-21

Allied Ships
DD Lawrence
DD King
DD Preston
DD Smith
DD Perkins
DD Cushing

Day Air attack on TF, near Khota Bharu at 24,45

Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 3

Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Atago

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Wirraway bombing at 2000 feet

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 19
Blenheim IV x 6

no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Nachisan Maru
AK Kaisyo Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Blenheim IV bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 25,50

Allied aircraft
Swordfish x 4
Buffalo I x 2
Vildebeest IV x 12

Allied aircraft losses
Swordfish: 2 damaged
Vildebeest IV: 6 destroyed, 7 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Ise, Torpedo hits 1
BB Fuso, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Vildebeest IV launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x Swordfish launching torpedoes at 200 feet
3 x Vildebeest IV launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 4

Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Ise

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Martin 139 bombing at 15000 feet
Day Air attack on Ichang , at 47,33

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 damaged

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Kuantan at 24,47

Allied aircraft
Vildebeest IV x 3

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest IV: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Izan Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Vildebeest IV bombing at 5000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 25,48

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 17
Blenheim IV x 6

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 7 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano

Aircraft Attacking:

Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 3

no losses

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Martin 139 bombing at 15000 feet
ASW attack at 134,40

Japanese Ships
SS I-21, hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Lawrence
DD King
DD Preston
DD Smith
DD Perkins
DD Cushing

ASW attack at 30,68

Japanese Ships
DD Suzukaze
DD Umikaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yukikaze
CL Nagara

Allied Ships
SS Seawolf

ASW attack at 134,40

Japanese Ships
SS I-21, hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Lawrence

ASW attack at 30,68

Japanese Ships
DD Suzukaze
DD Umikaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yukikaze

Allied Ships
SS Seawolf, hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Ground combat at Tuguegarao

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 80609 troops, 978 guns, 26 vehicles

Defending force 9423 troops, 102 guns, 2 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Japanese ground losses:
399 casualties reported
Guns lost 16
Vehicles lost 2

Allied ground losses:
521 casualties reported
Guns lost 22
Vehicles lost 1

Ground combat at Rabaul

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 10179 troops, 152 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 2258 troops, 10 guns, 2 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 9 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Rabaul base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
243 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Allied ground losses:
98 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Ground combat at Jolo

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1979 troops, 13 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 634 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 28 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Jolo base !!!

Allied aircraft

no losses

Japanese ground losses:
13 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
1136 casualties reported
Guns lost 6

Ground combat at 48,30

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 87142 troops, 999 guns, 15 vehicles

Defending force 19410 troops, 143 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 178 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
379 casualties reported
Guns lost 8
Vehicles lost 2

Allied ground losses:
1139 casualties reported
Guns lost 24

Ground combat at 25,46

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 16067 troops, 173 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 4788 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 106 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
117 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Ground combat at Johore Bahru

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 20916 troops, 234 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 36316 troops, 313 guns, 8 vehicles

Ground combat at Wuchow

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 75978 troops, 566 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 6436 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Ground combat at Johore Bahru

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 27992 troops, 244 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 20916 troops, 234 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
456 casualties reported
Guns lost 19

Allied ground losses:
94 casualties reported
Guns lost 9

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 7985 troops, 75 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 83160 troops, 955 guns, 22 vehicles

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 71
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 1:07:21 PM   
Luskan

My troops withdrew in good order. None of this retreat crap.

As for Malaya as soon as Raver empties a base, it beomces japanese - so alor star is now mine! Without a fight.

As for Tugeragao - well that fell without any fuss. On to Clark!!!!

A few allied transports sunk, but that is about all that happened this turn.

Of course - the other interesting thing is that Raver is thrilled to bits abouta couple of apthetic little torps hitting my bbs (less than 20 sys damage on each damaged bb) which shouldn't take too long to fix at all, all the while my transports are unharmed (Raver torped a transport this turn, but that is it - his bombers haven't hit one yet!).

My next offensive pushes will be revealed in two or three days. And I have 2 surprises in sotre for Raver in the next two turns or so (one next turn, one in two or three or four turns).

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 72
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 2:58:36 PM   
Raverdave

Idiot! It was a full blown retreat ! Almost a route ! They ran so fast that their helmets were left spinning in the air just like in the cartoons!
Tugeragao falls ! Now this is a bit of a blow as I had hopped that it would hold for a few more days, but then they were out numbered 10 to 1 poor buggers! But they did hold for a few days and that counts for something!

Luskan is laughing off the torp hits on his BBs........but one day I am going to be the one laughing !

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 73
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 3:00:35 PM   
Raverdave

SIG INT REPORT FOR 12/19/41

5th Air Division is located at Takao.
212727 men are based at Changkufeng.
Radio transmissions detected at Kwajalein.
112th IJA Base Force is located at Tatung.
Radio transmissions detected at Saigon.
57th Construction Battalion is located at Maizuru.
11th AA Regiment is located at Osaka/Kobe.
Radio transmissions detected at Wonsan.
Radio transmissions detected at Legaspi.
Radio transmissions detected at 60,86.
Kaosing Fortress is located at Takao.
117 aircraft are based at Mukden.
Radio transmissions detected at Khota Bharu.
Radio transmissions detected at Shikka.
5550 men are based at Wonsan.
Radio transmissions detected at Wake Island.
1st Aviation Rgt is located at Kiungahan.
15th Engineer Regiment is located at Taan.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 12/19/41

Allied aircraft
Swordfish x 2
Vildebeest IV x 8

no losses

Japanese Ships
AK Shinzui Maru
AP Izan Maru
AP Kyokusei Maru
AP Tatsuwa Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Swordfish launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x Vildebeest IV bombing at 5000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 40,67

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 3
Hudson I x 4

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Kako

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 26,48

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 19
Blenheim IV x 5

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
AP Ryujo Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Blenheim IV bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 30,65

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 3
Martin 139 x 1

no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Kashiwa Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 38,69

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 3
A6M2 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 2

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 damaged

Day Air attack on TF, near Bataan at 42,51

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 6

no losses

Allied Ships
AP President Madison, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 8

no losses

Allied Ships
AK Anakan, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 3

no losses

Allied Ships
AK Don Jose

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on Ichang , at 47,33

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 4 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet

Allied aircraft
Swordfish x 2
Buffalo I x 4
Vildebeest IV x 8

no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Jusan Maru, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hukuyo Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Swordfish launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x Vildebeest IV bombing at 5000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 30,65

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 3
Martin 139 x 3

no losses

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Kendari at 33,71

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 4

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 3
Hudson I x 2

no losses

no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Meiten Maru, Bomb hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 14
Blenheim IV x 3

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF at 31,66

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 20

no losses

Allied Ships
TK Gertrude Kellogg, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 79927 troops, 955 guns, 23 vehicles

Defending force 8996 troops, 80 guns, 2 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tuguegarao base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
568 casualties reported
Guns lost 20
Vehicles lost 2

Allied ground losses:
178 casualties reported
Guns lost 8
Vehicles lost 1

Ground combat at 48,38

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 14555 troops, 179 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 2319 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 536 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
44 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
217 casualties reported
Guns lost 8

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 74
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/15/2004 3:43:29 PM   
Luskan

The plan for clark - well I've got a few bases to take before I get there. Once there, I plan to settle some of the heaviest bombers I've got and start mashing the place up day after day - forcing Raver's planes into the air where they use lots of supply and I can shoot them down.

I'll bombard for all I'm worth with lots of big ugly guns as well, but I'll try to keep a couple of fresh divisions out where I can use them add weight at the last minute.

Of course, I have a few extra troops now that Mindanao is mine - and I'll have yet more coming from southern Borneo as Balikpapan, Samarina and Tarakan are all soon going to fall as well. Ambiona, Darwin, Palembang, Moulmein, Rangoon, Lae, Port Moresby and Midway are all on the to do list after that.

Troops from Malaya will most likely NOT be joining the PI campaign. They will be used for Burma, and Palembang. Hoping to catch Raver at Rangoon properly this time.

This turn was quiet - very quiet. I sunk a few more transports, I bombed darwin and sank a dd there - as well as damaging another and a transport. I landed troops at Balikpapan. Is about all.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 75
Heavy Damage - 6/15/2004 10:20:24 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

(less than 20 sys damage on each damaged bb)

Really? Then why is Fuso listed as having "heavy damage"? What's the level of damage needed for that message?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 76
RE: Heavy Damage - 6/15/2004 10:39:28 PM   
Onime No Kyo

FOW

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 77
RE: Heavy Damage - 6/15/2004 11:05:56 PM   
Nikademus

if that was the only hit....it usually means a magazine explosion

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 78
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 12:15:02 AM   
ADavidB

quote:

SIG INT REPORT FOR 12/19/41

5th Air Division is located at Takao.
212727 men are based at Changkufeng.
Radio transmissions detected at Kwajalein.
112th IJA Base Force is located at Tatung.
57th Construction Battalion is located at Maizuru.
11th AA Regiment is located at Osaka/Kobe.
Radio transmissions detected at Wonsan.
Radio transmissions detected at Legaspi.
Radio transmissions detected at 60,86.
Kaosing Fortress is located at Takao.
117 aircraft are based at Mukden.
Radio transmissions detected at Khota Bharu.
Radio transmissions detected at Shikka.
5550 men are based at Wonsan.
Radio transmissions detected at Wake Island.
1st Aviation Rgt is located at Kiungahan.
15th Engineer Regiment is located at Taan.

Raver - how much help are these messages to you? Do you go through them carefully? Has the knowledge that you've gained through them been useful?

Thanks -

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 79
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 2:51:35 AM   
Raverdave

Most of the stuff that you get is junk, but there are some items that can give you clues as to what might be coming. It depends on how much of the info that you want to plot. I tend to keep an eye on it looking for major fleet units, which the intel report sometimes does show up.

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 80
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 2:56:41 AM   
ADavidB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Most of the stuff that you get is junk, but there are some items that can give you clues as to what might be coming. It depends on how much of the info that you want to plot. I tend to keep an eye on it looking for major fleet units, which the intel report sometimes does show up.

Is there much erroneous info in the reports?

Thanks again -

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 81
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 3:15:04 AM   
Raverdave

I would suspect that there is, but unless I have full access to the the enemies (Luskan damn his blackheart!) screen then it is hard for me to confirm. Best we past this question onto banananana boy and ask him if there are in fact the troops at those hexes as reported by inte.l

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 82
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 8:28:10 AM   
Luskan

There are a few errors there - but the most important thing to remember with sigint is that it isn't a 1 turn deal. You ahve to study it for a week.

E.g. After a WEEK in our last game, Raver should have noticed that there were no emissions from Suva at all - when I'd just invaded the place with 2 unf units etc. If I'd moved HQs and CDs in there like I'd boasted - then it definitely would have shown up.

More useful for when you're the japs and you've got a few little inf units you want to go out and capture empty bases with - but aren't sure which ones are empty, and don't want to telegraoph by recon.

In another game I saw a major offensive coming, which was nice.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 83
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 8:50:18 AM   
Luskan

This turn was so good my banana leapt for joy (spot free joy). Disappointing at Sian - Raver was just too fast and left my hammerblow singing pointlessly at mid air. He's down making trouble near Nanning (and I'm way out of position to stop him atm). He's not stupid (any more) he's learnt his lesson in China and so in two months, although I'll have a few more bases, I'll have to keep more and more divisions in china to bottle up the shorter, more dangerous chinese line (rather than sending them off to the DEI as I'd like).

Ron is going to be unhappy. 3rd sub in deep water in 3 turns that raver's hunter killer group has killed.

But the best part of this turn wasn't the bombers sinking allied transports, or the troops taking Balikpapan, or even the troops getting into better position (finally) in the PI. No - the best part was my surface combat group, all dds, lead by Admiral Goto, that slipped through the Malacca straight three nights ago - they originally tried to slip through with the CL Sendai as their flagship, but she got blown up by allied torps, so they pressed on without her. They refuelled at Tavoy, and Raver, poor Raver never saw them coming.

They swept into Chandpur harbour at night, and caught a bunch of transports full of supplies and surprised them. The long lances really came in handy, and the allies didn't even fire a shot in return, and then they happened across one of Raver's bigger indian inf stuffed onto three large transports - and sank them as well. Ammo expended, in need of some more torpedoes, but very, very very satisfying to cull so many ships and so many troops in two quick and easy fights at 4000 yards, without taking the slightest bit of damage.

As for the fuso - certainly not heavy damage. She is under 20 sys damage - it was just allied pilots trying to lie to their commander to cover up their botched bombing runs.

Enjoy. I know my banana did!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 12/21/41

Coastal Guns at Balikpapan, 31,64, firing at TF 94
TF 94 troops unloading over beach at Balikpapan, 31,64

28 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
AP Hiyoshi Maru

Japanese ground losses:
60 casualties reported

ASW attack at 109,71

Japanese Ships
SS I-169, hits 6, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Monaghan
DD Alwin
DD Allen
DD Litchfield
DD Chew

Night Time Surface Combat, near Chandpur at 30,25

Japanese Ships
DD Fubuki
DD Shinonome
DD Shirakumo
DD Isonami
DD Shirayuki
DD Hatsuyuki
DD Murakumo
DD Uranami
DD Shikinami
DD Ayanami
DD Asagiri
DD Yugiri
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
AK Empire Spray, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Empire Raven, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AK Empire Patrol, Shell hits 1, on fire
AP Dardanus
AK Chilka, Shell hits 9, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Jalatarang
AP Neptuna, Shell hits 9, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bordvik, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AK Eidsvold, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Night Time Surface Combat, near Chandpur at 30,25

Japanese Ships
DD Fubuki
DD Shinonome
DD Shirakumo
DD Isonami
DD Shirayuki
DD Hatsuyuki
DD Murakumo
DD Uranami
DD Shikinami
DD Ayanami
DD Asagiri
DD Yugiri
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
AP Empire Attendant, Shell hits 19, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Empire Chivalry, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Empress of Asia, Shell hits 56, and is sunk
PG Freesia
PG Auricula

Allied ground losses:
962 casualties reported
Guns lost 16

Gotta love that - 10 transports, a thousand troops, all gone bye bye!

Coastal Guns at Balikpapan, 31,64, firing at TF 94
TF 94 troops unloading over beach at Balikpapan, 31,64

6 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Day Air attack on Tavoy , at 28,37

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 9

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 1 damaged

Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Blenheim I bombing at 6000 feet
3 x Blenheim I bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 3
Martin 139 x 3

no losses

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 3
Martin 139 x 2

Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Kyuma Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 8
G4M1 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
P-35A x 3
P-40B Tomahawk x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate: 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
AP President Madison, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
P-35A x 3
P-40B Tomahawk x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Anakan, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on Darwin , at 36,84

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 9

Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 2 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Bulmer, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Ground combat at Balikpapan

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 11435 troops, 91 guns, 15 vehicles

Defending force 1648 troops, 24 guns, 4 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 90 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Balikpapan base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
178 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
231 casualties reported
Guns lost 8
Vehicles lost 1

Ground combat at Sian

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 87178 troops, 993 guns, 12 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese assault odds: 2934 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Sian base !!!

Ground combat at Yenen

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 30797 troops, 405 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 8026 troops, 66 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
547 casualties reported
Guns lost 17

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Ground combat at 27,39

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1562 troops, 0 guns, 103 vehicles

Defending force 260 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 234 to 1

Ground combat at 23,47

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1385 troops, 10 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 661 troops, 3 guns, 1 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 64 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 84
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 11:36:42 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Luskan

Ron is going to be unhappy. 3rd sub in deep water in 3 turns that raver's hunter killer group has killed.

ASW attack at 109,71

Japanese Ships
SS I-169, hits 6, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Monaghan
DD Alwin
DD Allen

Got that right. I'm loosin' it! Time will show that the Allied ASW is much too effective. What speed are these ASW TFs travelling at? Bet you they are at mission speed meaning they are travelling too fast to effectively use their sonar. But allied sonar almost always picks up subs first. I've had three instances where the jap sub actually fired and it is now mid April 42.

Oh, yeah. Like everyone is fond of saying..."it's a sixty mile hex."

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 6/16/2004 4:38:27 AM >

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 85
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 12:51:15 PM   
Raverdave

That bloody banana boy! The sod snuck into Chandpur and went on a rampage that would have put any teen flick slasher movie to shame, and he drowned half of an Indian brigade I never had a clue that they were there

I tell you this guys is a sneaky little ****e and I can't wait till '44 when I bomb him back to the stone age !

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 86
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 1:07:10 PM   
ADavidB

Luskan -

By any chance, do you still have the turn saved in which your destroyers caught those transports? If you do, can you run that turn against the AI? I'd love to see if the AI would get smacked as badly as Raver was.

Thanks -

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 87
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 2:09:40 PM   
Reichenberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Luskan--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Darwin , at 36,84

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 9

Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 2 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Bulmer, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet

How can 8 launched torpedos lead to a bomb hit on the destroyer???

As the Japanese player this can not be a FOW-issue. Seems that one of the Nells dropped the torpedo a little bit late…..

Uwe

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 88
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 2:11:16 PM   
Luskan

how do I run it against the AI?? Nothing would change?

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 89
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/16/2004 2:18:52 PM   
Raverdave

Stop flapping yer gums and send my turn !

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI