Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/23/2004 6:01:27 PM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

I for one will continue reading your AAR even while busy with my own games - I find it entertaining and if you look hard enough there is some useful information - both of what to do and what not.

Xargun

Xargun you are starting to scare me :).

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 151
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/23/2004 6:49:24 PM   
kaleun

I definitely will keep looking at the AARs.
Just because I may play some touch football on weekends does not mean I do not watch the NFL
It's nice to watch the first division play.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 152
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/23/2004 6:51:35 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Luskan

That old and slow makes her too slow for effective bombardment (she'd be in easy betty range for about 3 turns before she actually got to bombard the airfield etc.).

Does this mean that betty's will now make naval attacks in open ocean? They didn't do that in UV. Only at ports where Naval TF's were spotted.

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 153
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/23/2004 7:21:28 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Does this mean that betty's will now make naval attacks in open ocean? They didn't do that in UV. Only at ports where Naval TF's were spotted.

Land air power is now something to fear. If you've been following the various AAR's, you will see many times where land based aircraft not only come out to spank shipping, but also go out and attack CV TF's!

Mogami just about ruined my day with a bunch of crappy Dutch aircraft coming out and clobbering KB! It cost him lots of aircraft, but it also knocked one of my CV's down to a speed of 21

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 154
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/24/2004 4:45:31 AM   
Raverdave

Well that last move was interesting.................Luskan hit Lanchow with over 250,000 troops against my force of 76,000..........it cost him over 5000 dead and wounded while my losses were more modest with only 700. To make matters worse for Luskan he is right at the very end of his supply train. Methinks that Lanchow is going to be worse that Luskan expected.

I think that bananananana boy is simply looking to sunk ships in the Bay of Bengal rather than looking to land troops. The situation in India is such that while Luskan could land troops they would soon be over come by large numbers which I can move very fast on the excellent rail links that exsist there.

If he is able to shut down the RN, it gives him a secure western flank. But to go ship hunting Luskan is going to have to sail all the way up the west coast of India..........lets wait and see if he is THAT brave

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 155
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/24/2004 8:17:33 AM   
Luskan

Lanchow didn't go so well on the first turn, but this turn I lost 2000 while Raver lost 1500, and my troops are still set to "attack!" when I check them - so they're happy to continue the fight. Once out of Lanchow I can chase Raver's 80000 up the road to where htey are out of supply and enialate them en masse. Finally.

That will give my troops more than enough time to recoup and regroup for the next big offensive in China (even is Raver is just sitting back and waiting for my in that industrial heartland).

Last two turns saw my 2 (yes 2!) big surface battle groups bombard Akyab, taking out about 20 pommy planes on the ground. I'm aware of the lack of LBA resources in Burma and the bay of bengal, especially whhen it comes to longer ranged aircraft that can be used for searching and didn't want his prying eyes seeing my movements further down the coast. I've already got one division about to try for Rangoon, while I've got a mixed brigade or two up my sleeve that he hasn't spotted yet.

In addition to this, I have 3 armoured units in the area (not as moblie as I'd hoped) one of which is sitting north of Rangoon, controlling an important rail intersection. It is important because the rules for the Burma road are that if the allied player can trace a lin from mandalay over the hump into china, then the chinese get about 500 free supplies a turn. If they can trace a supply line from Rangoon along the railway, up to the ledo road and over the hump they get something like 1500 - so just be being there I've chopped about 1000 free supply points per day out from under the chinese. Since they're short on food and supply anyway this is good - means that even when their divisions reappear, they will recoup much more slowly.

Operation Banana Kiss hasn't been forgotten. Is just going to take longer than expected.

Apart from the gargantuan land battle in china, things are really quiet. I've taken the opportunity to rest a few squadrons, do a few repairs on some transports and reorganise my supply network to better support my far flung bases.

One mistake I've made is that after I took Rabaul I started bulding the fort (which is great, as the place is now unassailable, fort size is 4 or 5 getting bigger and I've got more troops there than Raver has in the entire PNG/solomons area getting ready for a jump off for some other objectives) but I forgot to start expanding the port and airfield (just not big enough to be the majob hub I wanted it to be). Lax of me - so I've commenced construction there. Was sort of hoping I'd have a port size 6 or 7 to refit ships in but not yet.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 156
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/24/2004 1:15:27 PM   
Raverdave

Hmmmm.......Luskans post carrys some worrying information...........large amount of troops at Rabal can only mean one thing.....he is planning to launch an early attack on PNG. Not something that I can really prevent at this stage. Yes I have the troops on the west coast and also in both NZ and Oz, but I am very short on PPs and just to move a division will cost me something like 2000 PPs...........I just don't have that . Infact the entire southern pacific is wide open at this stage of the game. Lucky for me that Luskan is still tied up in Malaya/China/Burma/PI. Actually he really need to think about the DEI as I have been busy planning the defence of that paying very very close attention to Java, so if I am right he will not really be able to even think about the south pacific until April.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 157
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/24/2004 2:15:45 PM   
Luskan

Lanchow progresses, fort size down to 1 and my losses were 2300, ravers were 1800, so next turn the fort size reaches zero and I stop deliberate attacking and shock attack (maybe the turn after to give the troops a little break.

This turn I'll steal Rangoon, again, not that Raver cares atm.

Raver doesn't have any aircraft in the south pacific, and he is going to need them. With 5 nif units at rabaul (only 1 of any real size, but still) once I have the supplies I need I can strike in any direction.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 158
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/24/2004 2:22:59 PM   
Raverdave

I am in the early stages of planning an operation designed to lift the moral of the folks at home. People are still shocked at the attack on PH and already then Senate committes are forming with the USN firmly in their sights. So with this in mind the USN has come up with a brillant plan that will nodoubt shock the Japanese whom are currently suffering from "victory sickness".

I am fighting the good and just war, and I have God on my side.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 159
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/24/2004 2:59:54 PM   
Speedysteve

Hi guys,

Any answer on my previous question - don't you think that ASW seems a tad too effective and that it may need to be toned down?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 160
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/24/2004 3:08:21 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Hi guys,

Any answer on my previous question - don't you think that ASW seems a tad too effective and that it may need to be toned down?

I believe we have all come to see that the Allied ASW is much to deadly, especially at this stage of the war. As it is now, it may be better than it was in 45. Japanese ASW is just about right, perhaps a wee bit anemic but near spot on. I think they are just trying to figure out the best way of reducing the ASW for Allies without screwing with the Japanese.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 161
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/24/2004 4:11:16 PM   
Speedysteve

Thanks for the answer Ron

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 162
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 2:15:44 AM   
Luskan

Another very quiet turn - as the game actually starts to wind up again.

This turn my troops probed at Rangoon and found just a few thousand defenders - I'll steal that next turn!

Also at lanchow the enormous battle there is about to swing my way - I lost 2200 troops there, Raver lost 1900 and the fort size reached 0. I now outnumber him 4 to 1.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 163
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 3:03:28 AM   
Raverdave

I would have to say that Luskan has lost at least 15,000 troops so far in the battle for Lanchow. I am happy with that
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/10/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 37,60

Japanese Ships
AK Myoko Maru
DD Yukikaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Suzukaze
AP Hie Maru
MSW Toroshima Maru
DD Yamakaze
DD Umikaze
PC Showa Maru #5
PC Showa Maru #3
PC Nichi Maru #1
PC Gamitsu Maru #1
PG Saiko Maru
PG Edo Maru
MSW Takasago Maru
MSW Ataka Maru

Allied Ships
SS Sturgeon, hits 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Lanchow

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 273005 troops, 3018 guns, 159 vehicles

Defending force 68196 troops, 294 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese ground losses:
2509 casualties reported
Guns lost 61
Vehicles lost 6

Allied ground losses:
1751 casualties reported
Guns lost 29

Ground combat at Rangoon

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 22787 troops, 254 guns, 17 vehicles

Defending force 5147 troops, 16 guns, 4 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Japanese ground losses:
88 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Allied ground losses:
166 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Ground combat at Rangoon

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 4935 troops, 14 guns, 4 vehicles

Defending force 22598 troops, 247 guns, 17 vehicles

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 164
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 3:16:58 AM   
GameTester

The Japanese have 273,005 men and over 3,000 guns at Lanchow! How many divisions is that?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 165
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 3:25:49 AM   
Raverdave

I think that I counted about 21 IIRC plus about 3 brigades of "independant" troops.

(in reply to GameTester)
Post #: 166
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 4:44:24 AM   
Luskan

You'll also note how much slower my SRA conquest is as a result - and my burma conquest, and everything else. I have all those troops in northern and southern china instead.

Operation Banana Kiss continues in the background.

In spite of this turn's failure at Lanchow (I lost 6000, raver lost 2200) with a bit more time to gather supply and rest my fatigued troops I'll wipe Raver's troops there off the face of the planet. Just needs a bit more time.

I also took Rangoon and culled 4000 of ravers troops there, so this turn was about even on the whole.

Make sure you note that most of my casualties are not deaths, but are woundeds and shocked/inactive squads (hence my extremely low army loss points score and Raver's extremely high one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 167
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 6:33:46 AM   
GameTester

Exactly how many Chinese fighters are there in total? Shouldn't they outnumber the Japanese? The IJA had big advantages in armor, guns, and planes but still couldn't win due to being outnumbered. Raverdave probably has a huge reserve behind Lanchow.

< Message edited by GameTester -- 6/25/2004 11:35:45 PM >

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 168
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 7:24:11 AM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: GameTester

Exactly how many Chinese fighters are there in total? Shouldn't they outnumber the Japanese? The IJA had big advantages in armor, guns, and planes but still couldn't win due to being outnumbered. Raverdave probably has a huge reserve behind Lanchow.

I'm assuming you mean Chinese troops ? If so there is no limit. Every Chinese Land unit destroyed comes back in either 30 / 60 or 90 days at 1/3 strength and must be built up to fighting conditions with supply [According to manual].

Xargun

(in reply to GameTester)
Post #: 169
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 7:55:44 AM   
GameTester

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

I'm assuming you mean Chinese troops ? If so there is no limit. Every Chinese Land unit destroyed comes back in either 30 / 60 or 90 days at 1/3 strength and must be built up to fighting conditions with supply [According to manual].

Xargun

Well, I meant how many are in the army as of this moment. I was of the impression that the IJA was smaller but more technically advanced than the National Chinese Army. If that is the case, Raverdave must have a lot in reserve because there are a quarter of a million Japs at Lanchow.

< Message edited by GameTester -- 6/26/2004 12:57:55 AM >

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 170
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 9:32:10 AM   
Raverdave

Yeah I have a lot of Chinese troops..........but they are just not all located at Lanchow.........I have never really bothered to count how many troops I have in total because there are just too many to count........and they are all kinda spread all over China. But at Lanchow Luskan outnumbers me.

(in reply to GameTester)
Post #: 171
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 11:36:28 AM   
Luskan

fat lot of good it is doing.
You will all be pleased to hear that johore baru fell to my troop this turn. I am at the gates of singapore, where no fewer than 21 enemy units has been waiting for me since the start of the game.

My sonias got HAMMERED by flak this turn - and I lost 11 of about 36 over singapore. Unfortunately my bombing there is yet to make the sort of dent that I'm consistently making at Clark (150 enemy soldiers, a bit of suplpy and a few guns are destroyed every turn at clark). My main force is nearing Johore Bharu and I will spend a few turns resting them from their march, and preparing them for the assault ahead.

In the PI, my troops have rested a little (not enough) but I've decided it is time. I need those troops to take Clark, then manila and Batan before I am able to begin my DEI conquest. More troops are shipping in, but I've committed as many resources as I am able at the moment.

China was a mistake. However a victory at Lanchow in the future will probably make up for it somewhat. I do have a plan ready for when Raver's relief troops out of the industrial heartland try to relieve their troops, but to be honest I don't think Raver is going to go for it. Why would he? Sure, he's going to loose 70000 troops eventually, but he
a: gets 30 days without having to supply them, which means his other troops will finally be able to make ends meet (chinese troops are just too numerous toe ver have a supply surplus)
b: gets them all back in 30 days - which is faster than I can march my massive army from Lanchow to the industrial heartland anyway.

Rangoon was an aboluste gold mine of fuel and supply, resources and industry. I have 2 mixed inf regiments at Moulmein, along with Burma army HQ and one of m other armoured units moving to garrison the place, while my base forces and a few SNLF units sit at Moulmein for the moment. The division at Rangoon has marched a long way, and so will be resting until their fatigue drops noticably.

The rest of the map is very quiet - even though I've been a very busy worker bee indeed. I have plans laid for 9 important war winning operations - but I will not commit to any of them until a: I know where Raver's CVs are, b:I have finished the PI, DEI and Malaya off, and c: Have either given up at Lanchow or won there, allowing a redistribution of necessary force.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 172
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 4:30:10 PM   
Raverdave

It is music to my ears that Luskan is having such a hard time in China. I just wish that I could be more pro-active rather than just continually "marching to the rear", but it has payed off in that it has kept a lot of japanese troops tied down. I might just start using some bombers in China now just to **** banananana boy a little here and there.

* GAME PLAY NOTE TO ALLIED PLAYERS * The key to China is to not mass at a point where the Japanese can bring their firepower to bear....if that means retreat well so be it. Also by pulling back into the heartlands you force the Japanese player to commit more troops to push deeper and follow you (as well as the drain of him having to post garrison units along the way).

I am itching to do something about Luskan in the Bay of Bengal, but I am just totally out gunned. I have aircraft set for Naval attack but Luskan is too smart to come within range, not that it really matters as one squadron of Swordfish is not exactly something that he fears terribly much.

PH is now has so many troops that I am having to hot-bunk the men..........now the question is where do I send them?

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 173
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 4:51:44 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

* GAME PLAY NOTE TO ALLIED PLAYERS * The key to China is to not mass at a point where the Japanese can bring their firepower to bear....if that means retreat well so be it. Also by pulling back into the heartlands you force the Japanese player to commit more troops to push deeper and follow you (as well as the drain of him having to post garrison units along the way).

Even bigger key note:

Expand bases like mad! Each base expanded requires MORE Japanese troops to keep it from going nuts. Should he not supress the base, it destroys itself and eats supplies for all those repairs. The same holds true even more for bases with industry located there. Bomb the industry. Sooner or later he will have to turn off repairs because it is just draining his supplies. Don't concentrate on a specific type, hit all of them equally since each can only repair 1 point per turn. Hitting 3 types causes 3x the supplies per turn being required. Spread the luvin

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 174
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 4:54:39 PM   
Raverdave

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

Even bigger key note:

Expand bases like mad! Each base expanded requires MORE Japanese troops to keep it from going nuts. Should he not supress the base, it destroys itself and eats supplies for all those repairs. The same holds true even more for bases with industry located there. Bomb the industry. Sooner or later he will have to turn off repairs because it is just draining his supplies. Don't concentrate on a specific type, hit all of them equally since each can only repair 1 point per turn. Hitting 3 types causes 3x the supplies per turn being required. Spread the luvin

Don't ya just love evil-doers?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 175
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 5:00:18 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Don't ya just love evil-doers?

Yea, I think we better shut up though, we'll be playing Japan

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 176
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 5:19:35 PM   
Luskan

Although Frag's ideas all sound like htey're coming from an evil genius, he's actually just a canuck.

Remember when Darwin was raining nells? That was his brilliant idea.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 177
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 5:37:55 PM   
Raverdave

quote:

Although Frag's ideas all sound like htey're coming from an evil genius, he's actually just a canuck.

Oh yeah I loved the one! My pilots were celebrating so hard that they were too pissed to fly the next day.........IIRC they bagged 13 Nells in that raid.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 178
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 5:44:21 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

quote:

Oh yeah I loved the one! My pilots were celebrating so hard that they were too pissed to fly the next day.........IIRC they bagged 13 Nells in that raid.

I didn't tell you to send them *unescorted*, that must have been a slip of the banana. I wanted you to city attack him there to test out the new changes to strategic points. Not my fault you thought that Nells would shoot down his fighters.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 179
RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight - 6/26/2004 5:46:22 PM   
Raverdave

Quick Frag....give him another thing to test ! Quickly !

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI