Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pacific Theatre?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pacific Theatre? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/13/2004 3:47:59 PM   
ChuckK

Well, if anyone is in the mood for some beautiful full color glossies let met toss out, Carrier Air War: In Original WWII Color, by Robert Lawson and Barret Tillman, Motorbooks International Publishers and Wholesalers, 1996. It's a light read but has some priceless first-person accounts by those won fought in the P.T.O.

Saratoga CV-3
One of 3 U.S. pre-war carriers to survive WWII
Awarded 7 battle stars
Torpedoed on two separate occasions
Hit by 6 bombs, holed twice, on 2-17-45
Sunk at Bikini Atoll, '46, after enduring 2nd A-Bomb test
She was a tough Lady!

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 31
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/13/2004 4:42:58 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

I am reading Admiral Ugaki's diary called Fading Victory. His diary ends when he takes a Kamikaze flight at wars end... This book is an often quoted source in other books and a good read. I found at a used book store and not sure it is in print anymore or not. Many excellent reads recommended above.

Wasn't the Admiral Ugaki flying the very last suicide mission by Japanese (never was heard of that flight again and no info is known of him and his flight)?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 32
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/13/2004 7:34:14 PM   
Von Rom

There are also a few good sites on the web that have some fascinating reading on the Pacific War:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/map.htm

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/amh/amh-23.htm

http://www.anesi.com/ussbs01.htm#cbi

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/PTO/RisingSun/index.html

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 6/13/2004 5:35:06 PM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 33
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/13/2004 7:40:45 PM   
Huskalator

What are some good books with lots of pretty pictures for the geographically challenged?

I'll read books and mostly understand what is going on but when it gets down to movements from Island to Island or town to town I really get lost.

SW Episode 2:Good movie, bad love story

Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.

(in reply to ChuckK)
Post #: 34
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/13/2004 7:46:46 PM   
jhdeerslayer

Haven't read that far yet but I'll find out soon!

Fire in the Sky is another good one and I would think a bible for the WITP designers as much details about bases, supplies, etc...

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 35
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/13/2004 8:16:36 PM   
diesel7013

Here's another great book written from the Japanese point of view:

ZERO by Masatake Okumiya and Jiro Horikoshi w/ Martin Caidin - Okumiya was Air Staff Officer for several of the major Carrier vs. Carrier battles during the war and at Rabul and Buin during '43 - so he has alot of good 1st person analysis of the battles being fought and in his opinion why Japan lost the war ( industrial might, lack of a comperable bomber to the B-17, lack of air base construction ability - nothing like the seabees in comparison and other interesting reasons )

Horikoshi was one of the engineers that designed the Zero and many other Jap aircraft....

The book is a favorite of mine because it goes into detail on OOB's, pilot strenght, warship building policy and many other topics that don't normally get covered...

This book also swayed me towards being interested in the Pacific Conflict and the Navy away from the army which ultimately led me to Annapolis instead of the Point...

Anyway - its my favorite and a couple of years ago I payed $100.00 for a hard bound copy as it wasn't in print anymore and just this week I saw it in Paperback at Books a Million - so if anyone wants it - its there for the taking...

We few, We happy few, We band of brothers

(in reply to ChuckK)
Post #: 36
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/14/2004 12:30:01 AM   
BarkhornXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Author John Keegan, Price of Admiralty, anouther on WW2m, on on Normandy..

Keegan's book, The Price of Admiralty is crap, IMO. The section on Midway is riddled with errors and it suffers from too much "Rule Britannia" if you get my drift.

Barkhorn.

< Message edited by BarkhornXX -- 6/14/2004 12:11:36 AM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 37
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/14/2004 12:34:22 AM   
BarkhornXX

..ohh..and I would recommend;

A Battle History of the Japanese Navy by Paul S. Dull and
The Fast Carriers by Cark Reynolds.

(in reply to BarkhornXX)
Post #: 38
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/14/2004 2:27:16 AM   
JamesM

Also try this one:

Howarth, Stephen ed: "Men of War - Great Naval Leaders of World War II", Spartan Press, 1976. (ISBN: 0297810936)

Interesting read

(in reply to BarkhornXX)
Post #: 39
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/14/2004 12:24:16 PM   
Stavka_lite

Another good book, if it has not been mentioned already, is The Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy . This book only covers surface actions. A very good read with great detail and charts.

< Message edited by Stavka_lite -- 6/14/2004 10:25:48 AM >

Yes, it is a dry heat... but so is a bloody blast furnace!

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 40
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/14/2004 12:27:34 PM   
Stavka_lite

I suppose I should read the ENTIRE thread before I post.

Yes, it is a dry heat... but so is a bloody blast furnace!

(in reply to Stavka_lite)
Post #: 41
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/14/2004 11:59:17 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Battle History is a great book by the unfortunately named author. It makes for a strange read in some respects . . . you kinda get warped from the tokyo express straight to the marianas turkeyshoot.

(in reply to BarkhornXX)
Post #: 42
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/15/2004 1:21:20 AM   
Delphinium

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I was looking for a website where I could purchase all 14 or 15 volumes together as a boxed set.

You could pick most of them up second hand starting at $5 a volume.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 43
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/15/2004 1:24:38 AM   
daniel123

try here to look at the blurps http://www.dropbears.com/b/broughsbooks/military/pacific_war.htm

(in reply to Delphinium)
Post #: 44
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/15/2004 5:49:37 AM   
waynec

excellent one volume is The Pacific War 1941-1954 by John Costello
The Pacific Campaign by Dan van der Vat

a really interesting book is Long Day's Journey Into War by Stanley Weinstraub
(This is Decemeber 7th from the start at the international dateline to the end of the day generally following 3 days of December 7th)

Eagle Against the Sun: The American War With Japan by Ronald H. Spector is not that great. get it from the library

< Message edited by waynec -- 6/14/2004 9:51:43 PM >

(in reply to daniel123)
Post #: 45
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/21/2004 9:02:37 AM   
trhinz

Hara, Capt. Tameichi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

There was another book I read years ago written by the Captain of a Japanese Destroyer but I can't remember who wrote it. I think the name of the book was Destroyer Captain or something like that.

Japanese Destroyer Captain

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 46
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/21/2004 9:52:57 AM   
Radzy

Yes, Japanese Destroyer Captain, written by Cmdr Hara Tameichi.

"When they come a wull staun ma groon
Staun ma groon al nae be afraid
Thoughts awe hame tak awa ma fear
Sweat an bluid hide ma veil awe tears
Ains a year say a prayer faur me
Close yir een an remember me"
Sgt. MacKenzie

(in reply to trhinz)
Post #: 47
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/21/2004 11:27:04 AM   
Andy Mac

A lil defferent from the rest offered above

Im reading Defeat into Victory just now the Slim bio.

(I know that bio's not always the most reliable but hey its a good read ;))

Gives an interesting perspective on Burma Front and some of the real limitations faced by Alllies in SEA.

I also read the Moon over Malaya which was more or less a history of the Plymouth Argylls in Singapore and Malaya.

Also a good read.

Andy

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 48
RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pa... - 6/21/2004 6:32:01 PM   
kev_uk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tectororch

Kev,

Morison's set are the "hard boiled egg" of the Pacific War (can't be beat). I was able to get the whole set, used but in very good condition, for under $100 at Barnes and Noble's used book store, and via Alibris.

"Touched With Fire" by Eric Bergerud is a thorough history of the land campaigns in the South Pacific.

"Day of Infamy" for Pearl Harbor.

Hope this helps.
quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk

Subject says it all, cheers.
I am just after a general history, with politcal/social ramifications on all sides and good military history. Does such a book exist?

Hi,

In the end I have chosen two books; currently reading 'Fire in the Sky' by Bergerud, which is going good, lots of very relevant stuff for UV as it deals with South Pacific operations.
I also have ordered 'The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945' by John Toland, this hasnt arrived yet, as it has to be imported from the US. I picked up Fire in Sky second hand, virtually mint condition which was a good find.

Thanks for the suggestions.

(in reply to Tectororch)
Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Could Someone recommend a book on history of the Pacific Theatre? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI