Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reporting for duty..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Reporting for duty.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 5:21:30 PM   
AlbA

I've been looking forward to the launch of WitP for what seems like ages and now it's nearly hear I thought I'd jump into the forums to feel the anticipation!!

Being a noob here, I'm gonna need a glossary of terms or list of acronyms you lads use to understand a lot of what's being said but I suppose I'll get used to that.. or maybe I'll just crack the code? AF is having trouble with their water condenser!

Not having played UV, this will be a whole new experience for me and one which I'm looking forward to. I'll have to follow the tutorials and gain experience over time with the AI but I can't wait to have the ability to take on a human opponent in this massive game.

Niitaka Yama Nabore!

< Message edited by AlbA -- 6/25/2004 4:22:49 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 5:28:03 PM   
Mr.Frag

A couple of quick terms that will probably throw you:

LCU = Land Combat Unit (the grunts)

LBA = Level Bombers

Those are probably the two big ones that will come up and have you scratching your head wondering what people are talking about. The rest is pretty much normal names for things.

(in reply to AlbA)
Post #: 2
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 5:44:06 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

LBA = Level Bombers

Isn't LBA Land Based Aircraft? LB would be Level Bombers.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 5:44:09 PM   
kaleun

Wasn't LBA= Land Based Aircraft?
Brad beat me to it

< Message edited by kaleun -- 6/25/2004 9:44:38 AM >

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 4
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 5:52:18 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Wasn't LBA= Land Based Aircraft?

Yea, but it generally ends up being applied to the bombers. The shorter ranged aircraft or the torpedo pups always get called by their names.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 5
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 6:56:41 PM   
ltfightr

IIRC is another common one If I Remember Correctly

(in reply to AlbA)
Post #: 6
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 8:52:17 PM   
mbatch729

OK, it is has been way too long since basic training. Do the signal flags mean/spell anything specific?

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to AlbA)
Post #: 7
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 9:09:00 PM   
Hirose

Greetings Gents,

Also a new guy. I have only been playing UV for about three or four months now! I love every minute of it and can't wait to dive into WITP! Three cheers for Matrix & 2by3, the last hope of die hard war gamers.

Cheers
Bill M.

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 8
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 9:26:25 PM   
Hirose

Just noticed something! I have actually playing UV since September 03. Time flies when your having fun!

Cheers

(in reply to Hirose)
Post #: 9
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/25/2004 11:15:27 PM   
mbatch729

Try May of 02!!! One of my PBEM opponents and I have been fighting various UV battles for 2 years in September. Now we get to start on the entire war!!!

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to Hirose)
Post #: 10
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 12:33:52 AM   
madflava13

PH - Pearl Harbor
PM - Port Moresby
GG - Gili Gili (probably won't be used too much anymore)
SRA -Southern Resource Area
KB - Kido Butai
Death Star - when the IJN player puts all his CVs in one Task Force and cruises around kickin ass and taking names (also likely to disappear in WiTP)
HI - Heavy Industry
FT - Fast Transport

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 11
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 4:33:11 AM   
byron13

Axis Fanboy = Brady = someone who believes that the Axis should have won the war and any competently designed game will reflect this through the use of wonder weapons and experience premiums.

Allied Fanboy = mdiehl (interchangeable with Allied Fanboy). Someone who believes any alleged Axis success is revisionist history. If war starts on December 7, a competently designed game will have the Allies in Tokyo by Christmas - sooner if the Allied player is any good.

HRMRO = Highly Respected Middle-of-the-Road Opinion = anything I write on the forum.

PPs = Political Points. Somewhat of misnomer, these are closer to operations points. You pay PPs in order to shift certain units from one command to another. In effect, prevents you from moving too much too quickly around the map.

< Message edited by byron13 -- 6/26/2004 2:34:58 AM >

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 12
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 4:53:04 AM   
freeboy

lol

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 13
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 8:47:28 AM   
herbieh

best summary of these forums Ive read in years.
quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

Axis Fanboy = Brady = someone who believes that the Axis should have won the war and any competently designed game will reflect this through the use of wonder weapons and experience premiums.

Allied Fanboy = mdiehl (interchangeable with Allied Fanboy). Someone who believes any alleged Axis success is revisionist history. If war starts on December 7, a competently designed game will have the Allies in Tokyo by Christmas - sooner if the Allied player is any good.

HRMRO = Highly Respected Middle-of-the-Road Opinion = anything I write on the forum.

PPs = Political Points. Somewhat of misnomer, these are closer to operations points. You pay PPs in order to shift certain units from one command to another. In effect, prevents you from moving too much too quickly around the map.

Big seas, Fast ships, life tastes better with salt

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 14
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 1:07:07 PM   
AlbA

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbatch729

OK, it is has been way too long since basic training. Do the signal flags mean/spell anything specific?

Yeah. It's something we all have at the moment! If no one posts before the end of today I'll put you out your misery mbatch!

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 15
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 1:32:20 PM   
Grouchy

. -..- .--. . -.-. - / .- - .. --- -. / -.-- --- ..- / -- . .- -. / .- -.-. - .. --- -. / ..--..

(in reply to AlbA)
Post #: 16
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 2:03:32 PM   
AlbA

.. -. -.. . . -..
quote:

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

. -..- .--. . -.-. - / .- - .. --- -. / -.-- --- ..- / -- . .- -. / .- -.-. - .. --- -. / ..--..

(in reply to Grouchy)
Post #: 17
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 2:56:54 PM   
52nd Lowland

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlbA

I've been looking forward to the launch of WitP for what seems like ages and now it's nearly hear I thought I'd jump into the forums to feel the anticipation!!

Being a noob here, I'm gonna need a glossary of terms or list of acronyms you lads use to understand a lot of what's being said but I suppose I'll get used to that.. or maybe I'll just crack the code? AF is having trouble with their water condenser!

Not having played UV, this will be a whole new experience for me and one which I'm looking forward to. I'll have to follow the tutorials and gain experience over time with the AI but I can't wait to have the ability to take on a human opponent in this massive game.

Niitaka Yama Nabore!

Well do u fancy playing a fellow Scot at WitP through PBEM when you get experienced at the game,even though im from Glasgow (well Cumbernauld anyway !) ?
Having played UV since it came out ive only just started now wanting the added challenge of a Human opponent over the AI.

(in reply to AlbA)
Post #: 18
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 4:56:37 PM   
TheElf

When arrrre you highlanders going to get it. The only way you are going to thrrrrow off yurrrrrr Anglish lorrrds is af youuu UNITE THA CLAAANS! Quit thas petty squabbling amongst yurrrrselves for tha tablescrrraps of tha Anglish.....

What do you think? A little over the top for a post? Did my Scottish accent come out at all? It's really good...

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 19
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 5:19:52 PM   
52nd Lowland

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

When arrrre you highlanders going to get it. The only way you are going to thrrrrow off yurrrrrr Anglish lorrrds is af youuu UNITE THA CLAAANS! Quit thas petty squabbling amongst yurrrrselves for tha tablescrrraps of tha Anglish.....

What do you think? A little over the top for a post? Did my Scottish accent come out at all? It's really good...

You sound like someone from Aberdeen..keep working on it

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 20
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 5:21:12 PM   
AlbA

quote:

That sounds fine when I read it, but then again I'm reading it in my own accent!

Now, to get back to petty squabbling; aye 52nd Lowland, it might take me a few months for me to get up to speed but that sounds like a good idea! I knew I should have chosen The Highland 51st as my nick!!

< Message edited by AlbA -- 6/26/2004 3:21:52 PM >

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 21
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 5:28:18 PM   
52nd Lowland

quote:

quote:

That sounds fine when I read it, but then again I'm reading it in my own accent!

Now, to get back to petty squabbling; aye 52nd Lowland, it might take me a few months for me to get up to speed but that sounds like a good idea! I knew I should have chosen The Highland 51st as my nick!!

Think it will take a while for me also especially the production and research side of WitP which seems to be quite a heavy subject to understand judging from previous posts.I wouldnt worry about playing PBEM against me cause i aint never done it,too busy spanking the AI in Uncommon Valor.

(in reply to AlbA)
Post #: 22
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 5:30:20 PM   
ltfightr

I will spank the AI around for a while and the PBEM. It has added a lot to UV. My only concern is going to be it will be to easy to mess up a game as japan by overlooking something simple that kills you.

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 23
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 5:35:08 PM   
mbatch729

quote:

quote:

Yeah. It's something we all have at the moment! If no one posts before the end of today I'll put you out your misery mbatch!

OK, broke down and looked them up. Expectation?

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to AlbA)
Post #: 24
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 5:38:22 PM   
AlbA

quote:

OK, broke down and looked them up. Expectation?

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 25
RE: Reporting for duty.. - 6/26/2004 6:14:50 PM   
52nd Lowland

quote:

ORIGINAL: ltfightr

I will spank the AI around for a while and the PBEM. It has added a lot to UV. My only concern is going to be it will be to easy to mess up a game as japan by overlooking something simple that kills you.

Yep the enormity of WitP means that this is definetely possible..especially the production and research areas,China

< Message edited by 52nd Lowland -- 6/26/2004 4:18:57 PM >

(in reply to ltfightr)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Reporting for duty.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI