Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Squad Level Combat?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Squad Level Combat? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/17/2004 3:25:51 PM   
SKORPIO

What about a Vietnam wargame at Talonsoft's Eastern Front/Rising Sun/Divided Ground level? I could never understand why there has been such a lack of good Vietnam games. It seems to me that somebody has missed out bigtime.

Nulli Secundus-Honi Soit Qui Maly Pense.

(in reply to Grumbling Grogn)
Post #: 31
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/17/2004 6:49:03 PM   
gunny

Grogn I commend your post. I gave up on this some time ago.

Games like Silent Storm and and Commandos are NOT Squad level tacticle wargames. They are Role playing games and have short comings in that respect. Too bad it was close with silent storm but the focus on story, scripted plot and abstractions just ruined it from being a wargame. Same with Commandos. These aren't squad level wargames although people confuse them as such.

JA2 was fun, Fallout Tactics was great for 2D engines but there is a Gap here. I actually enjoyed Squad Leader but it crashed so often I couldn't finish it.

I've always said the Squad Assault Engine could have been adjusted slightly to accomodate such a single soldier game with its present graphics and weapon stats.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 32
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/17/2004 7:03:38 PM   
wodin

Anyone know if Squad Leader works with XP?

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 33
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/17/2004 7:09:46 PM   
CCB

quote:

ORIGINAL: SKORPIO

What about a Vietnam wargame at Talonsoft's Eastern Front/Rising Sun/Divided Ground level? I could never understand why there has been such a lack of good Vietnam games. It seems to me that somebody has missed out bigtime.

I think there is a user made Vietnam mod for Divided Ground. You might find it here:

www.theblitz.org

Easier to use DG as it already had the M48 tanks, etc.

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to SKORPIO)
Post #: 34
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/17/2004 7:12:37 PM   
gunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

It does. But I got alot of drop outs. Might be my system.

@ Skorp, yes vietnam was pretty much a war with patrolling ground units and Lrrps etc, so an XCom meets Viet Nam would work I think for an individual soldier/squad wargame.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 35
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/17/2004 7:14:14 PM   
CCB

Here it is:

http://www.theblitz.org/downloads/mods.php#cs

Just scroll down a little bit.

Peux Ce Que Veux

(in reply to CCB)
Post #: 36
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/18/2004 7:03:53 AM   
SKORPIO

Many thanks for the tip CCB, l will investigate further.

Nulli Secundus-Honi Soit Qui Maly Pense.

(in reply to CCB)
Post #: 37
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/19/2004 7:35:48 AM   
ravinhood

To me, if it's going to be titled SQUAD LEADER then it has to look exactly like SQUAD LEADER by Avalon Hill, I want the "counters" and the hex-grid maps for the type of Squad Leader I am looking for. I couldn't get into Hasbro's/Microprose Squad Leader at all, reminded me too much of playing "Toy Soldiers" and I didn't like it at all either. Gesh get away from the corny cartoonish graphics and animations and make some real board-game conversions that everyone who's anyone in wargaming knows and loves. ;)

That's what was different about my "youthful" days of 13+, we played ADULT games, yet, today the computer industry makes KIDDIE games and I guess expects ADULTS to enjoy them. It was a much better time when we were playing games ADULTs really enjoyed and played along with us, than having to go backwards as the games that are being made today seem to be so kiddiefied.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 7/19/2004 12:41:22 AM >

(in reply to SKORPIO)
Post #: 38
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/19/2004 5:21:36 PM   
CCB

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Gesh get away from the corny cartoonish graphics and animations and make some real board-game conversions that everyone who's anyone in wargaming knows and loves. ;)

It was a much better time when we were playing games ADULTs really enjoyed and played along with us, than having to go backwards as the games that are being made today seem to be so kiddiefied.

If you can find them I suggest Talonsoft's Campaign series games. Also HPS games. www.hpssims.com

Peux Ce Que Veux

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 39
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/19/2004 8:56:54 PM   
Hexed Gamer

I have heard it put many ways ravinhood, but I like that post the best so far I think :)

(in reply to CCB)
Post #: 40
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/19/2004 9:49:36 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: CCB

If you can find them I suggest Talonsoft's Campaign series games. Also HPS games. www.hpssims.com

Roger that. The HPS Squad Battles series is the closest thing you'll find to Squad Leader.

(in reply to CCB)
Post #: 41
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/20/2004 1:05:22 AM   
ravinhood

Yup, I've got some HPS/Tiller Squad battle games and the Talon Soft Series games as well. I'm probably the most hardcore collector of wargames around of just about any type. I just hate wasting my money on these kiddiefied games of today though.

I'd give my left noodle for a real Squad Leader Conversion to the computer. I loved that boardgame probably more than any until I hit the computer age.

Cmon Matrix fellows, why is it so hard to get the rights to that game and make us all happy? :) I swear I will buy TWO copies if that will help make your decision. lol

Squad Leader and Swords and Sorcery by SPI (don't hate me for liking a fantasy based board wargame, but, really it was a blast to play as well as Squad Leader). Those were my two favorites and most wanted to play on our gaming weekends.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 42
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/20/2004 2:19:53 AM   
Hexed Gamer

Matrix Games getting ASL out of the hands of Hasbro, would likely be harder than getting the rights to SSIs Steel Panthers in all likelihood.

That, and it is hard to say what MMP would say about sharing the exclusivity of being the official source of all things ASL.

Currently the VASL program pretty much puts ASL into the hands of those that actually own ASL, but, that's the glitch, you have to own the real ASL.

For my money, I could see someone maybe taking a stab at producing a computerised version of original Squad Leader potentially.

But, somehow I think it would be a project that would make the computerisation of World in Flames look like a walk in the park :)

It would likely be easier, simpler and faster, if the programmer was told, look study this game (SL) and now produce a modern software modern hardware using port of it.
Make it look more or less like SL in that the imagery would be essentially the same, give it the pennache of Steel Panthers, but without all its DOS baggage.
Allow the computer to do all those things routinely a hassle for a board game ie hidden units, and make the design faithful to the turn sequence.

Of course everyone will jump all over the notion if it doesn't have an AI.
As if a game couldn't possibly be fun without one.
And everyone will freak out if you can't play against others through the net.
Even if the turn sequence would make a simple game take like forever to play.

But the game could likely be computerised if all the programmer was required to do, was create correct graphics and design it to be played hotseat or online against humans.

That will of course never happen.

I am fully sure I will return to the waistline of my youth, and get my hair back before anyone actually makes a faithfully recreated ASL for the computer :)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 43
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/20/2004 5:38:05 AM   
ravinhood

"cry" then, I sure had hopes of a Squad Leader computerized version of the game before I passed from this wargaming world to the next. heh

I sometimes wonder say 1000 years from now what wargamers will want to play in that age? Will it be holigraphic decks and you no longer play a wargame, but, actually become part of it? lol

If you could go back in history to any war or a particular battle, what would it be? What would you take with you if you could take only "one" modern weapon and WMD are not allowed? ;) I think I'd like to go back to the "Alamo" with a modern tank and tank crew, or maybe a fighter plane or Heavily armed chopper. hehe

Will the Ancients and WWII and Napoleanics and the ACW be as popular then as they are now? Or will it be space wargames taking over and games like these merely lost relics in a museum of ancient arts stating on the plague: Here lies before you an Ancient board wargame that "humans" lol, used to sit down at a table and play for hours and hours and days and days, wasting much of their lives playing them....lol

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 44
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/20/2004 6:21:06 AM   
Hexed Gamer

God I sure hope our species has gotten it together enough in 1000 years, that warfare is weeded out of our collective psyche.

I play to enjoy (no point saying I don't), but I also study the topic to know it better.

Still, in 1000 years, I would rather be doing something other than replaying barbaric acts upon my race.

Probably to much to hope for though eh :)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 45
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/20/2004 6:53:48 AM   
KG Erwin

To Hexed Gamer: Les, you may as well come out of the closet, 'cause we all know it's you. There's no hiding from your buddies. You gave it away with the reference to Squad Leader. Give it up, mate. Go back to the name we all know you and love you as--

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 46
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/20/2004 8:27:10 AM   
Hexed Gamer

Hmmm

Well I suppose, it is one of those, if I say no, no one will believe me, and if I say yes, well everyone will expect me to go back to being the old me kind of situations isn't it.

But sometimes you can't go back. And I guess I am not.

Life is about change etc etc etc blah blah blah and a lot of that crap you have all heard before.

During the month of June, my life experienced some rather harsh events, and all that said, all the crap surrounding my online activities were puny in comparison.

I just didn't have time for petty bullshit. And I had to make some rough decisions. One of them was the old me was being taken out of service.

All ancient history though ain't it.

I have moved on, done a lot of recovery, basically left a lot of garbage behind.
I have lost a lot of things in the process.

But among the things I lost and or walked away from, an online nickname was hardly one of the important ones. The old me was useful, but hardly irreplacable.

I liked the old me, but, he's gone.

I have come to grips with a few issues, learned a few new tricks. Made some resolutions.

Blah blah blah, I know only a few people are going to give a flying fiddle dee dee for any of this post.
I am really only posting it for them.

Those that might wish to insert comments of a put down nature following this post will find I have no problems stomping on their comments. I might do it elsewhere though where I can enjoy it at my leisure.
Basically better to just not start if you ask me.

And no, it doesn't matter who you are, or what your function is. You're all equal.

I haven't "discontinued" my participating on forums totally. I am now just highly selective.
I know what my worth is, and it isn't negotiable.

I have stopped trying to always be involved. It's really just not worth it. Frankly I was letting it get way out of hand.

I have reserved the right to openly be me, or just wear whatever hat that suits me. I am not any one uniform online identity between forums any longer.
That has its uses, but it also has its costs.

I have come to realise that large commercial forums often come with a sizable price tag. They are often hard to maintain, and hard to monitor. They lack the charm small towns are known for.

That's not a flaw, it's just a fact.

A forum's volume of traffic does not indicate a forums worth. The sum of a person's post count doesn't infer anything either.
The join date means nothing.

It's what is discussed and how it is discussed that brings me to a place or makes me leave.
It's the measure of the welcome, and it's how well guarded that welcome is kept that ensures my interest. I really don't need any more surprises in my life.
People that think I am expendable will find they too can be expendable.

Yeah it's Les. Maybe not the Les you thought you knew perhaps.
It's a Les that is playing by Les's rules now though.

I have been spending most of my time where the air is cleaner and the beer is colder :)

I really don't know if DH ever got my email concerning the status of my old account. I sent it during the Origins week (lousy timing).
I had planned/thought it best to just say good bye to the old me and asked him to ditch the old account.
That it is still there is likely because the man is just to busy.

I'm kind of glad the real me is in the MC-SE credits though.
I earned that.

I won't be suddenly posting a flurry of posts now that I have elected to dispense with denying who I am.
If I get any flak over this, well, I have the knowledge that I can be here or not be here.
I KNOW how that sounds too.

One thing I have added to my rules, is to disregard people that can only misquote, or partially quote, or re interpret, or just plain insist on only reading what they want to read.
Don't have time for those people any more.

I certainly don't have plans to suffer people convinced of the notion I am an egotistical self righteous elitist bore only interested in hearing the sound of his own voice.

I don't make a habit of saying anything with intent to harm.
But I do occasionally choose my words poorly.

I have a bad habit of offering beta opinions that haven't been properly tested :)

If I claim that game type X is stupid, and anyone likeing game type X is stupid, don't take it personal eh.

Anyone flying off the handle over one of my posts that might merely be badly phrased, should remember that.

I like being helpful. I get a kick out of being helpful.
I don't get a kick out of people attacking me for no good reason (but then who does?).

I hope everyone enjoys the me that I am today. I like the me that I am today.
The me that I am today, calls a spade a spade though. If you can't handle that, I suggest you pass over my posts.

Please note, I offer this post freely. I would appreciate it being left intact the way I wrote it.
If you must insist on quoting me, quote the entire text as one piece, or don't quote me at all.

For all my friends, you have not stopped being my friends. I just needed the space.

Ok Gunny I said my peace :) And I better not here one single solitary comment about my "not dropping it" from anyone.

I will still be "Hexed Gamer" in the morning. Some know Hexed Gamer as Les.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 47
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/21/2004 3:00:40 PM   
CCB

Hexed Gamer is Les_the_Sarge_9_1_e??????

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

my whole reality is spinning out of control

note to self: just hold on CCB, stay with me buddy, it'll be alright.

< Message edited by CCB -- 7/21/2004 9:03:16 AM >

Peux Ce Que Veux

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 48
RE: Squad Level Combat? - 7/25/2004 10:06:05 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

It does. But I got alot of drop outs. Might be my system.

It works just fine for me - patched.

Wodin- If you liked Soldiers At War, then you'll want to pick it up. Make sure you get the patch to it, though, since it had a mem leak that would lock up or crash you. As Ravin and Les have pointed out - it got nasty coverage because they wanted ASL on the computer plain and simple. It's not that. Still fun in it's own right.

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 7/25/2004 2:06:25 PM >

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Squad Level Combat? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI