Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soon in your christmas stocking - Mortar Mod v1.3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Soon in your christmas stocking - Mortar Mod v1.3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soon in your christmas stocking - Mortar Mod v1.3 - 12/25/2001 4:03:00 AM   
brianleeprice

Analysis and testing is finished, OOB mods now underway, expect release within 8 hours to a emailbox near you (if you're on the list). I went through a number of possibilities but finally decided to leave the basic choice up to you, the player. All mortars, except for those under v6.1 which were special multi tube units such as Japanese Knee Mortars, are now single tube units. All formations are being adjusted to have the correct number of tubes. What about C&C you ask? Well, rather than modify a whole lot of formations and satisfy no one in the end, I decided to take a middle road: 1) All v6.1 and modified v7.0 formations which included multitube units (via multiplier for v6.1 or via multiple weapon slots for v7.0) now have the equivalent number of seperate single tube units. (except as noted above) This, of course, means that C&C costs to call in the firepower that *should* have been available through v6.1's multiplier is doubled or tripled - however.... note that the C&C cost to call in the firepower that was actually available under v6.1 remains the same. 2) Medium and heavy mortar platoons and/or batteries are all now called batteries (btty) and are company level formations composed of an FO commander and the appropriate number of platoon level mortar sections. This is a 'halfway' solution, imo the best overall - still giving the 'feel' of the historical formations but including an FO with increased fire order capabilities for bringing the organic mortar assets to bear on a single target. 3) All mortar categories now have a single non-elite unit available through the artillery screen of the purchase menu. This allows you to 'build your own' simulated batteries/groups of mortars with a full platoon allocation of C&C points each - this approximates the effective unit level C&C points balance which would have existed had the unit multipliers actually worked. Thus, if you find that the first two solutions don't allow you to bring your mortar fire to bear effectively under C&C - buy the desired number of single tube units and use their own C&C points to call in their fire. Granted, this isn't the best solution, but barring ripping the German OOB to shreds (and invalidating half the scenarios and campaigns in the process) or diving into SP:WAW's source code for months, it's the best I can can come up with. Thanks,
Brian

Post #: 1
- 12/25/2001 4:07:00 AM   
Redleg

Sounds like a lot of work and a good, workable solution to a tough problem. Thanks -

(in reply to brianleeprice)
Post #: 2
- 12/25/2001 5:59:00 AM   
Alby

Hey, I imagine youve busted your butt on this, all your work is gretaly appreciated!!
To what "list" do you refer???

Post #: 3
- 12/25/2001 6:44:00 AM   
brianleeprice

quote:

Originally posted by Alby:
Hey, I imagine youve busted your butt on this, all your work is gretaly appreciated!!
To what "list" do you refer???

Thanks The list is those that have emailed me or posted a request for the mod earlier on the 'More Mortar Musings' thread. PS: As much as I'm tempted to fix other things while doing the Mortar Mod OOBs - I'm holding back for now - trying to minimize changes. (Heh - wait till you see the list of changs, lol - minimize isn't the right word!) Thanks,
Brian

Post #: 4
- 12/25/2001 7:47:00 AM   
Alby

I know Paul is working on some oob fixes, maybe some tweaks, Are your mortar changes gonna be included in his patch?
I have posted an OOB fix list, dont know if youve seen it, emailed to Paul as well. [ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

Post #: 5
- 12/25/2001 7:50:00 AM   
brianleeprice

quote:

Originally posted by Alby:
I know Paul is working on some oob fixes, maybe some tweks, Are your mortar changes gonna be included in his patch?
I have posted an OOB fix list, dont know if youve seen it, emailed to Paul as well.

Well I expect *some* type of mortar changes are going to occur in his patch (even if only to fix a few typos and OOB specific problems like with the German OOB) - but whether they'll be the same as Mortar Mod's or even similar, I really have no idea. Yes, I'm really tempted to fix the Soviet Union Rocket cost while I'm doing Mortar Mod - who knows - it might sneak itself in there Thanks,
Brian

Post #: 6
- 12/25/2001 10:07:00 AM   
richmonder

I believe Paul has been following this mortar situation and think he'll take Brian's experiments and analysis into consideration of anything that is put together in the end. That is my hope. I know he wants it to be the best it can be as do we.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 7
- 12/25/2001 11:09:00 AM   
brianleeprice

Just found what has to be the oddest SP:WAW feature of them all - this one is really really odd - in the US Army or ANZAC OOBs it is perfectly ok to put a section or platoon as the company commander - everything works fine. However, if you do it in the German or the USMC OOBs the company formation will not show up on the purchase screen - for those you have to use individual units as company command elements. Checking through the rest of the OOBs - it throws a slight wrench in the medium/heavy mortar battery solution - to keep things balanced in this light and still permit the battery commander FO units to have the desired effect, I'm setting all of the batteries to elite company status. Interestingly enough this seems to effect the commander's experience level far more than that of the units under his command - which in this case is exactly what we want. Another thing I've noticed in testing - I was under the impression that radio setting 93 would result in the engine ignoring that unit for rarity - or at least treating it as rarity 0 - well - it doesn't work. Most of the time I can buy about one unit with that setting when rarity is enabled. Since most all forward observers have radio setting 93 - (leading to some very bizzarre effects in what OOBs actually can have tons of FOs) - I highly recommend turning rarity off if you're going to buy the Mortar Mod mortar battery formations. Now off to beat my email about the head and shoulders until it surrenders and lets me distribute the new version Thanks,
Brian [ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: Brian Price ]

Post #: 8
- 12/25/2001 5:01:00 PM   
brianleeprice

And its off! The latest updated mod has been sent to everyone (I hope) on the mailing list. Due to possible problems with my hotmail account, if you wish to join the list to recieve the mortar mod and updates, or to host mortar mod on a download site, please leave me a private message here on this forum with your email address. Thanks, ho ho ho and such,
Brian

Post #: 9
- 12/25/2001 8:47:00 PM   
Warrior

Good work.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Soon in your christmas stocking - Mortar Mod v1.3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI