Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is Now Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is Now Available! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is Now A... - 7/2/2004 3:45:22 AM   
Erik Rutins

Although many of you already know this, here's the official announcement for the forum.

Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is available for digital download and/or CD delivery through our online store. Please click on the Store link in the top bar and choose the region of the world that corresponds to you. Thanks for all your interest and enthusiasm. Enjoy!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/2/2004 8:48:44 AM   
tigerblow

Is it v8.20+4campaigns??

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/2/2004 9:36:19 AM   
Randy

THIS IS JUST GREAT! I just saw this, and this is great news. This is something we have all been waiting for for a long time! I've gotta go so I can order my copy now. Thanks Team Matrix, you guys truly listen to your fans!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to tigerblow)
Post #: 3
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/2/2004 10:55:51 AM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigerblow

Is it v8.20+4campaigns??

It is 8.2 + the 4 MEGAcampaigns.

And this is NOT for free, but anyway at a good discount compared with you buying the 4 MCs separately.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to tigerblow)
Post #: 4
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/3/2004 12:59:03 AM   
neofit

This looks very tempting...

But have the campaigns been modified in any way? I mean in the 'save game' department. I have the LV MC but didn't even bother finishing the first scenario - the inability to save when I want to in a single-player game annoys me to no end, I always avoid games which force this kind of frustration on me (everytime I know it beforehand that is, but about the MCs I know :) ).

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 5
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/3/2004 3:38:39 AM   
Hexed Gamer

???

When have any of the Mega Campaigns ever prohibited anyone ever from saving at any point during the course of playing one?

Now, did you mean exit WITHOUT saving so you could endlessly restart thus thwarting the "enforced" save when exiting?

This one element might be frustrating to some, but I have always liked how Steel Panthers Mega Campaigns enforce a brutal honesty level.

If you screw up a battle, you get to deal with it.

Kinda refreshing actually.

(in reply to neofit)
Post #: 6
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/3/2004 11:42:48 AM   
neofit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer
Now, did you mean exit WITHOUT saving so you could endlessly restart thus thwarting the "enforced" save when exiting?

Exactly. FYI, it is still very possible to do by backing up the relevant files, it's just too much work to try and get some fun out of the game this way.

quote:

This one element might be frustrating to some, but I have always liked how Steel Panthers Mega Campaigns enforce a brutal honesty level.

If you screw up a battle, you get to deal with it.

Kinda refreshing actually.

I'm very glad you like it this way, but this is totally irrelevant. Everytime someone brings up the issue of having the option to save anywhere, in any game that doesn't have it, there are holier-than-yous willing to show how much greater and cooler they are.
How I play with what I bought with my own money is nobody's business. If some can't refrain from cheating if given the option, that's their problem. But I'm not replaying a whole scenario because I misclicked in this rather clunky interface, and I definitely won't deal with it.

I've asked a simple question - whether the campaigns have a save-anywhere feature in this €65 excl. VAT package or not - not for people to judge me.

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 7
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/3/2004 3:56:34 PM   
Pesticide

Hey guys ive played the lost victories first three scenarios at a friends and i love the concept and thats why im very interested in buying this generals edition but i always kinda got mad in lost victories cause i got all victory hexes BUT then in the next scenario i had to RETAKE these victory points ???

is this intentionally ? its kinda frustrating if you made a lot of sacrifices to take a hill and then you have to take it again ( the absurditys of war , but plz not in the game :) )

Post #: 8
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/3/2004 4:40:59 PM   
Hexed Gamer

Neofit, you are the sensitive one, I was wondering if you had misworded your question.

I once got 116% on a win in Civilization simply because I played each and every battle over and over till I won it, simply to confuse a buddy when I showed him the score :)

Come on lighten up dude.

I don't care squat what you do with your purchase. Sit a can of coke on it if it floats your boat.

You asked if the game can be saved anywhere any time.
If you had ever played a Mega Campaign, you would already know. It will TELL you it is auto saved on exit. There is no way to exit the game WITHOUT saving. And as you can exit whenever you feel like it the second you feel like it, the answer is therefore a resounding YES you can save the game anywhere any time.

If your question had been "how do I return to a previous moment in the campaign, so I can re attempt an action I botched?", it would have been a lot easier answering you.

Thanks for your kind response though, and good luck finding out your next question's answer.

(in reply to Pesticide)
Post #: 9
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/3/2004 8:49:08 PM   
VikingNo2

I would like to buy the General edition, but I bought one of the Mega Campaign before and I could never get it to work. If this one going to be a simple load to the computer and work with out having to modify a bunch of file ?

Post #: 10
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/3/2004 8:54:56 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

I would like to buy the General edition, but I bought one of the Mega Campaign before and I could never get it to work. If this one going to be a simple load to the computer and work with out having to modify a bunch of file ?

It´s a complete installer. All MCs and SPWAW are installed in one run. No hazzles at all.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 11
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/3/2004 10:21:16 PM   
neofit

quote:

You asked if the game can be saved anywhere any time.
If you had ever played a Mega Campaign, you would already know. It will TELL you it is auto saved on exit. There is no way to exit the game WITHOUT saving. And as you can exit whenever you feel like it the second you feel like it, the answer is therefore a resounding YES you can save the game anywhere any time.

If you only misunderstood my question, there was no need to bring my playstyle down. No need to get philosophical either. Of course one can exit anytime, but since saving is tied to the exit action, it is very far from the definition of 'save anytime', for anyone not trying to play with words that is. I spoke about "the inability to save when I want to", which excludes any ties to exiting the game. I don't think it' so hard to understand that I was about the way the non-MC SPWAW played, save anywhere anytime, and persistents save files.

quote:

If your question had been "how do I return to a previous moment in the campaign, so I can re attempt an action I botched?", it would have been a lot easier answering you.

Here we go again, botched shmotched. Ever tried returning to an older save to try a different approach, out of curiosity, not necessarily because you 'botched' something? Or do you have unlimited free time and the will to replay the exact same things until the branching point over and over again? OK, you're great and I'm a wuss. Can we consider the matter settled now?

---

So please, can anyone from the dev team confirm that the included campaigns work like old ones concerning savegames in SP mode, i.e. with only one forced save when exiting the game? It's a make or break issue for me and €65+ is a bit too much to try and find out. Thanks.

Post #: 12
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/3/2004 10:56:04 PM   
Hexed Gamer

Hmm, would it help if I told you I actually was one of those that helped develope one of the Mega Campaigns?

Mega Campaigns only come with one way to save. it saves on exit.

This can be circumvented if you don't mind the fuss.

Simply save the game each turn, exit the game, give the save folder a unique name. There you have a restore point.

I did that all last summer with MC-SE.

Now if you are willing to turn off the attitude and just ask your questions without resorting to attacking the people that might be trying to aid you, you might actually get someplace.

Otherwise, I think you will find most anyone here won't care to aid you.

It took a lot of work to make 8.2, they are giving us 8.2 for free. And it hasn't been easy or without minor glitches.
I think the last thing anyone wants to hear, is a hostile poster complaining about a part of the game that functions exactly as it is supposed to.

(in reply to neofit)
Post #: 13
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/4/2004 1:07:59 AM   
VikingNo2

Thank you, will be placing my order shortly

Post #: 14
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/4/2004 5:21:20 PM   
Pesticide

anyone who can reply to my question about the victory points ?

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 15
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/4/2004 5:48:15 PM   
Hexed Gamer

The VH location thing is a bit of a shock initially to a gamer.

But sometimes forces will fight for a piece of ground and then not really be able to effectively retain it. Thus your forces might get pulled back to re organise.

Now on a game related note, the guy making the game will naturally have to craft the flow of the battle based on a number of assumptions.

That's my take on it at least.

I am just now setting off on a fresh go of Lost Victories myself interestingly enough. I am 12 turns into the first battle too. Doing actually fairly well to boot.

With the MCs if you do very well in a battle you do indeed get recognition though. And trust me, if you mangle your battle, you can expect to spend the next battle saying sorry to yer boss.

The actual start points though, are all designed to allow you to make a logical progression through the game. Those locations were not pointless to your campaign.

(in reply to Pesticide)
Post #: 16
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/4/2004 7:03:28 PM   
Pesticide

well finish the first scenario and obtain all VHs and then play the second one (if you have a victory) youll c what i mean , the hill in the north with the watchtower that was very hard to get is again in enemy hands and bunkers\guns i destroyed are all of a sudden back alive :(

Post #: 17
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/4/2004 8:18:49 PM   
Hexed Gamer

Oh I know, layed LV a couple ot times already actually.

Yes, I can see maybe taking land over agains sometimes, but I have to confess, pillboxes and such suddenly unblowed up does tend to harm suspension of disbelief.

Good news is there is a looooong road ahead of you yet, and some of the battles will blow you away.

Learn how to use your armour well. You have not seen rough till you try to stop a KV1 with a PZ III.

(in reply to Pesticide)
Post #: 18
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/8/2004 7:16:53 PM   
Silencer

My money is on the KV1, though the Pz III might get lucky or the player just sneaky.

The Russians definitely had superior armour to the Germans to begin with, now if only their tactics, supply, and morale had been as good. I personally will be interested in seeing how my players cope with my WWII campaign as infantry AT against German designs. It promises to be interesting since I only think one of my players appreciates just how much difficulty there was in killing a tank whilst on foot.

Yes I am insane, I share my mind with a cat.
No I do not want to go to bed with you, so quit asking.
My idea of a relaxing morning is driving over my Fiancée's new boyfriend with an M1A2, but not because I'm jealous (it's because he's an absolute ****)

Post #: 19
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/19/2004 9:03:00 PM   
Jcatarino

quote:

It´s a complete installer. All MCs and SPWAW are installed in one run. No hazzle

I'm downloading SPWAWGE as I write this and I'm a little worried about this "No hazzle" instalation. How do we upgrade? with a patch? what happens if it isn't possible to make a patch like from 8.1 to 8.2? Do we get stuck?
It would be better to have the main game separated from the 4 MC so we could download the free game (updated version) and then apply the paid MC.

< Message edited by Jcatarino -- 7/20/2004 9:24:45 PM >

(in reply to Silencer)
Post #: 20
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/20/2004 11:25:53 PM   
Jcatarino

Just a simple question: do we need to apply the existing MC patches or are they included in the GE install?

(in reply to Jcatarino)
Post #: 21
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/24/2004 10:42:01 PM   
jewel

"Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is available for digital download and/or CD delivery through our online store"

The download would have taken approximatly 19 hours so download is not an option.

I ordered with CD on demand on 7/2/04. I have not received the CD yet. On the 18th I inquired as to when it might be sent. I received a canned reply.

Do I need to "DEMAND" the CD? If so, how would I go about doing that. Thank you.

Post #: 22
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/26/2004 3:26:03 PM   
Roo

What space do I need on my HDD? Text lists it as 900MB, but pure 8.2 is 1.00GB in size and occupies 1.08GB (think I may need to de-frag...).

Post #: 23
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/26/2004 3:29:48 PM   
Hexed Gamer

My installed 8.2 with all 4 MCs included patched and ready to roll occupies 1.47 gigs of totallity.

So that is what you are looking at if you want this users opinion.

(in reply to Roo)
Post #: 24
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/27/2004 12:20:07 AM   
Roo

Thanks for that info Hexed Gamer .

Now to think it over whilst I'm away... tempting, very tempting... just enough room on the HDD... and 4 decent campaigns to boot...

Post #: 25
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 7/27/2004 12:57:14 AM   
Hexed Gamer

It is easy to notice some have experienced trouble with either 8.2 or one of the MCs in some manner.

But, it is just a reality of using a computer. To many permutations available just ensures some will be stuck with a permutation that is a disadvantage.

Thus far, I have only ever really experienced total vexation running Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat.
But I have yet to be one of the unfortunate where SPWaW or the MCs are concerned.

I hope you elect to look into the game Roo, odds are you will consider it about the best gaming you have encountered.

(in reply to Roo)
Post #: 26
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 8/8/2004 3:53:02 PM   
Sgt Popov

I bought and downloaded Generals Edition last night. Its the LEAST I could do, as many 1000s of hours gaming enjoyment SPWaW has given me. Installation was very easy, and everything is working great!! I just started the Desert fox MC last night!!! Thanks Matrix Games--now just get Combat Leader done, PLEASE--thats gonna be the wargame o wargames!!

- Sergeant, what should I do if my parachute won't open?
- Bring it back and I'll replace it.

Post #: 27
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 8/23/2004 4:34:06 PM   
S-type

Great to hear it was easy to install and works. I was planning on buying it myself, and was wondering about that.

Did you do a fresh install of the whole SPWAW or just the MC's? Did you have to download any patches for the older MC's?

Post #: 28
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 8/28/2004 6:11:03 PM   
CatLord

Will there be a box-on-demand option ?

Cat

PS: Sorry for posting that twice, but I am happy to pay Matrix extra-bucks to have a box... Silly me

(in reply to S-type)
Post #: 29
RE: Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is N... - 11/19/2004 4:55:51 PM   
FDXHCY

Ok.. newby I am and lost.. I spent three nights downloading the game, and now it will not start.. UNABLE to register??? HELP PLEASE

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition is Now Available! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI