Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Muad'Dib & SPWAW 7.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Muad'Dib & SPWAW 7.0 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Muad'Dib & SPWAW 7.0 - 1/5/2002 10:25:00 PM   
Figmo

How do these two fit together? Weeeelll, I had a hard time accepting his son being a worm and put the book down for a few months but couldn't stay away and now I've had a hard time accepting SPWAW Ver 7.0 but can't stay away for long either. Great things make you come back to them. We will all eventually come around and I'll catch up to the rest of you now. For what it's worth,
Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
Post #: 1
- 1/5/2002 11:05:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Even more interesting, I wonder how many others will catch the "mouse shadow" comment that we both understand heheh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 2
- 1/6/2002 12:43:00 AM   
Resisti

It would interesting for us of the "old continent", too, to know what the Hell you're talking about

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 3
- 1/6/2002 2:13:00 AM   
Figmo

LOL - it's from a very famous series of books and a movie that sold world wide. If it helps any - I recite a litany while playing Ver 7.0: "I will not fear changes to the game, fear of changes to the game is the mind killer of progress in the game"!! OK - I've slaughtered it totally but what the heck!!

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 4
- 1/6/2002 2:58:00 AM   
chpo

I wouldn't want to meet Muad'dib in the game though: The Kwisatz Haderach was the one who could be att all places at one time - wouldn't I like to be able to do that on the battlefield! (Just teasing the guys that still don't know what we are talking about)
Btw, have you read the prelude? Three books that are rather new, written by Frank's son Brian and Kevin Anderson. It seems Brian found the notes for the next book in the series too, so I am waiting for that now, to see how they cope with the Honoured Matres

Electronic soldiers leave no electronic widows

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 5
- 1/6/2002 4:35:00 AM   
Figmo

Interesting - I've actually heard people complain that the SP series is GOD like in that you see everything and can be everywhere at once! I love a good surpise in the game. I'll also be looking for the new book - sounds good. The murging of the two cultures is kind of like what happened with the allies in WW2. The group that broke away came back to save the original group. A question that I don't know the answer to: How many "Duncan Idaho's are there now"?

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 6
- 1/6/2002 4:53:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Beware of Fremen Power...

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 7
- 1/6/2002 7:15:00 AM   
Figmo

quote:

Originally posted by Mikimoto:
Beware of Fremen Power...
LOL - Is there a connection between the spice and the worm? Is there a connection between SPWaW and me not having any time?

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 8
- 1/6/2002 7:26:00 AM   
Don Doom

Well if you move into your office you can work when it's not your turn.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 9
- 1/6/2002 9:15:00 AM   
tracer

If they could somehow be incorporated into the game (say in the Czech OOB), would Guild ships have a carry capacity greater than 254?

Jim NSB

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 10
- 1/6/2002 10:02:00 AM   
achappelle

Rommel was the ultimate Fremen, he really harnessed "Desert Power"

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 11
- 1/6/2002 11:36:00 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

Originally posted by Aleksandr Morozov:
Agreed. He didn't need the Bene Gesserit "weirding", though. He had that special sixth-sense for tactical situations that served him well in both world wars. As a side note, Herr Rommel's first name and my middle name are the same, hence my forum name. I also share the same birthday as Guderian (June 17). My fascination with the German military establishment in WWII almost seems preordained. [ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: KG Erwin ]

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 12
- 1/6/2002 11:52:00 AM   
troopie

quote:

Originally posted by Aleksandr Morozov:
Where would you put David Stirling and the SAS, or Ralph Bagnold and the LRDGs? Born in the Desert, Living in the Desert, Fighting in the Desert. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 13
- 1/6/2002 11:54:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just got the latest on Battlegroup Carrino (hey this thread is amusing me out of all proportions to where I left it earlier). The 3 latest documents are up to the original in standards. But does anyone else possess the priviledged rare manuscript "Encyclopedia". Man what a resource.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 14
- 1/6/2002 7:04:00 PM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by chpo:
Btw, have you read the prelude? Three books that are rather new, written by Frank's son Brian and Kevin Anderson. It seems Brian found the notes for the next book in the series too, so I am waiting for that now, to see how they cope with the Honoured Matres
The Dune "prequels" are outstanding, an excellent addition to the series. I'm waiting for the third to release in paperback right now.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 15
- 1/6/2002 8:30:00 PM   
chpo

Warrior wrote: "The Dune "prequels" are outstanding, an excellent addition to the series. I'm waiting for the third to release in paperback right now." Well, I don't quite agree. After reading the prequel I continued with the Dune novel itself and I must say that there is another quality in the original text written by Frank. Still, I wouldn't be without the prequel and when I bought them I was the perfect customer: "Hey, I want those. How much do you want for them?" Still, I am surprised that you haven't got it in paperback? I bought "House Corrino" in paperback a couple of weeks ago. It was a bigger version than the other paperback though, if that is what you mean. I didn't care, I wanted to read it!

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 16
- 1/6/2002 9:29:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

PAPERBACK! errrrrr obviously not a Dune fan of Fremen manufacture. Only a water soft fan buys paperbacks of Dune Books

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 17
- 1/6/2002 9:53:00 PM   
Figmo

quote:

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:
PAPERBACK! errrrrr obviously not a Dune fan of Fremen manufacture. Only a water soft fan buys paperbacks of Dune Books
ROTFL - Some of us poorer Fremen have to get our water wherever we can! Or maybe I've had too much spice!!

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 18
- 1/6/2002 9:54:00 PM   
Belisarius

Hmm wonder if not Herbert's original novel still is better. Although I found the Sci-Fi channel miniseries very good, much better than Lynch's 1984 version. I'd like to say that the "indigenous" arabic people are more like Fremen. Germans, British, Indians, Americans, French etc. are just aliens taking their war with them from other places.
(uh-oh did we find an WWI parallell here?)

Got StuG?

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 19
- 1/7/2002 3:55:00 AM   
chpo

Don't even mention the film! *shudder*
The books are marvelous, but the film was one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen!

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 20
- 1/7/2002 4:43:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

quote:

Originally posted by chpo:
Don't even mention the film! *shudder*
The books are marvelous, but the film was one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen!

Agreed, nothing beats the books. I stopped (many years ago) at the original Frank Herbert's (3 volumes I think) when Paul Muad'dib and the Fremen beat the house Harkonnen and the Emperor and his Sardaukar. Would love to read more. Saw that house Corrino in the Dune II (?) game. How many more books there is? And how many volumes?

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 21
- 1/7/2002 7:21:00 AM   
Figmo

Hey - how is the Dune Game - I've seen it but didn't get it? What type of game too please? Sorry I'm so far off topic - I guess I'll have to make an SPWaW scenario of Dune something to make up for it. Any ideas?

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 22
- 1/7/2002 7:45:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

The Dune II game? Well it's one of those games where you have to get money (spice) to bild factories, repair shops, etc. To do that you need to have spice extractors (?), ornithopters, depots, etc. Same philosophy as Age of Empires and Civilization, for example. The facilities allow you to built combat units and fight the opponents in a real time game. There are several factions (Atreides, Harkonnen, Corrino (?)) each with special weapons and powers. The Dune I was very funny, it was a mixture of adventure game and combat. You are house Atreides + Fremen fighting to transform Dune through echology and at the same time fighting the AI which is of course house Harkonnen + The Emperor. Depending on your performance and how you react, you get to see several scenes taken from the book with some variations and achieve higher performance. In the end, if you win it, Dune will be a almost green planet and you'll have the control.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 23
- 1/7/2002 10:02:00 PM   
O de B

Lol Dune II quite old probably you can find it with Dune 1 on some abandonware sites now... maybe the underdogs have them... there is also newer RTS games about Dune now..
There was Dune 2000, an improved version of Dune2 (same parties : Atreides, Harkonnen and Ordos) also made by westwood with the Command & Conquer/Red Alert/Tiberium Sun Engine, i saw it, looked nice. I heard Westwood recently made another game called 'Emperor, Battle for Dune', still RTS but for recent 3D card owners. [ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: O de B ]

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 24
- 1/7/2002 10:32:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I havent played the Dune games, but I have seen them. And as little as I know, they are old enough and use antique enough game engines, that no self respecting RTS gamer would waste their time playing it. Now they might have revamped it. But does aaaaaanyone realy think they did for it what Matrix did for Steel Panthers? I am not willing to be quite that generous heheh. And regarding the film. Is it not ironic the man responsible should be named Lynch. The word seems appropriate to me. I would like to lynch him for what he did do my best loved book.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 25
- 1/7/2002 11:15:00 PM   
Figmo

Nice move at bringing it back to SPWaW!! As for RTS players - heck - I'm almost 51 - I like the older ones - I have a chance to keep up!! And if you've seen the orginal movie without everything being cut out (4 hours with no cuts) - it's great! It's as close to the book as you can get. I even had people that didn't read the book ask why they they didn't use modern technology and I explained that in the book it tells how it was band. So maybe I'm alone but I like the old version - without the cut downs to 2 hours.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 26
- 1/8/2002 10:16:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Does someone know how many books on Dune there is? And the titles? Figmo: if you like old games then I recommend Dune 1 and Dune 2000 (it's the same as Dune 2 but with better engine) I have to check that "Emperor, The battle for Dune", thanks Les. Cheers,

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 27
- 1/9/2002 4:01:00 AM   
chpo

The Duen series (from memory, so no 100% guarantee): House Atreides
House Harkonnen
House Corrino These 3 are the "prelude", by Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God, Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapter House Dune These 6 by Frank Herbert Hopefully Brian&Kevin will write a 10:th, final, novel that takes up where Chapter House Dune left off

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 28
- 1/9/2002 5:45:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I remember reading these books (first 6 anyway) waaay back in college. It's kind of a unique memory, in that I'd drag an old mattress out into the yard (in the middle of the Sonoran Desert, mind you. 35-40C degrees) and lay in the sun reading those novels and getting a fine tan in the process. That heat and those books made me feel really badly about sweating right into the surrounding atmosphere - how water wasteful!

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 29
- 1/9/2002 6:58:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ya know I even have online copies of the Dune books too. Man there is virtually nothing that you cant find using Morpheus or KaZaa it seems.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Muad'Dib & SPWAW 7.0 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI