Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pearl Harbor results aren't historic?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Pearl Harbor results aren't historic? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pearl Harbor results aren't historic? - 7/8/2004 5:40:21 PM   
rawink

I keep seeing folks complaining about the Pearl Harbo results not being historic..

1 or 2 sunk US BB's, and a lot in the med to high sys damage.

If I recall properly.. the only BB truly SUNK was the Arizona (can't count Utah..). The others were all raised, and with the exception of the Oklahoma went on to fight again.

So do you count Oklahoma or west virginia as being sunk? well.. YES they were sunk .. but they were raised.. IN the game once it's sunk, it's gone forever. So how do you simulate this in the game? 80 sys damage puts the ship out of action for a very long time. I would think that 70-90 sys damage is a very fair representation of a "sunk in the mud" ship that can be raised later to fight again. There is no option in game to "unsink" a ship.

So sinking one or 2 BB's and doing severe damage to 3 or 4 others should be very accurate historically.

just my opinion.. If you think Japan truly sunk 4 or 5 BB's at Pearl.. I suggest you read up on the Battle of Leyte Gulf.. for ships that were sunk they managed totravel a fairly good ways.

Robert
Fly, die.. rinse and repeat
Post #: 1
RE: Pearl Harbor results aren't historic? - 7/8/2004 5:56:30 PM   
worr

quote:

So do you count Oklahoma or west virginia as being sunk? well.. YES they were sunk .. but they were raised.. IN the game once it's sunk, it's gone forever. So how do you simulate this in the game? 80 sys damage puts the ship out of action for a very long time. I would think that 70-90 sys damage is a very fair representation of a "sunk in the mud" ship that can be raised later to fight again. There is no option in game to "unsink" a ship.

Thanks!

Good point. :)

Worr, out

(in reply to rawink)
Post #: 2
RE: Pearl Harbor results aren't historic? - 7/8/2004 8:05:30 PM   
Charles2222

It might have something to do with when the Allies are given what many would think historic, the advanced repair option I think it's called, then practically all the ships are fully repaired within a week. I don't know that for a fact, but a number of people are astonished that those ships raise so quickly whether it's a week or not.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 7/8/2004 6:06:06 PM >

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 3
RE: Pearl Harbor results aren't historic? - 7/8/2004 8:08:05 PM   
Tankerace

In addition, Pearl Harbor was pure luck. That is like saying that in a scenario with HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Hood vs the Bismark and Prinz Eugen, that if the Hood doesn't blow up after Bismarks 5th salvo the results are too unrealistic. The point is is the historical outcome was pure luck, and trying it again won't yield the same results.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Pearl Harbor results aren't historic? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI