Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone else wish for faster turn processing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 5:28:58 PM   
Dolmon

I was trying to play 3 day turns. With ever delay turned as far down as it will go it is still taking 30 minutes to process. Could we get a no graphics option to speed this up? Everything that is displayed during processing should be available in a report, this is not a real time game after all.

Also I played the computer as both sides to see what would happen, there are messages about moving supplies around that cause its turns to take forever. This needs to be removed.

Any opinions?
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 5:30:44 PM   
Delphinium

Is that with using the <ESC> key ??
<SPACE> to negate effect - see previous threads....

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 5:32:05 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dolmon

I was trying to play 3 day turns. With ever delay turned as far down as it will go it is still taking 30 minutes to process. Could we get a no graphics option to speed this up? Everything that is displayed during processing should be available in a report, this is not a real time game after all.

Also I played the computer as both sides to see what would happen, there are messages about moving supplies around that cause its turns to take forever. This needs to be removed.

Any opinions?

30 minutes even with messaging turned off or down all the way?? Are you running a PII 266? I'm on a Dell Inspiron 7500, 4 yr old, PIII 650 and my turn resolutions are, at most, about 12 minutes...

< Message edited by ZOOMIE1980 -- 7/9/2004 3:32:29 PM >

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 5:34:12 PM   
siRkid

If you don't mind playing without sound, you can rename your sound directory and it will run much faster.

< Message edited by Kid -- 7/9/2004 3:34:37 PM >

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 5:36:30 PM   
freeboy

no graphics option is at the start.. turn off combat reports and turn off animations and watch the speed increase allot

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 5:36:47 PM   
Dolmon

30 minutes was to process all 3 days.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 5:48:18 PM   
joey

I have sound off (file renamed), delays to lowest setting, all animations off, all reports off and it still takes me one hour per a one day turn to process the AI's actions and the combat results in the long campaign game. Yes, I would like some way to speed that up. The "train ship crews" activity takes 10 + minutes alone. I feel your pain.

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 6:16:40 PM   
The Gnome

Just some PC tuning tips in case you don't know them already - you probably do, just hate to see a WiTP fan suffering!

This is what I do to keep my system speedy:
1) Turn off swap file.
2) Run full disk check.
3) Remove any unused programs.
4) Remove temp files.
5) Run anti-spyware software (spybot and adaware are both good).
6) Run AV software (AVG Defender is excellent free anti virus).
7) Remove any autorunning apps or applets that I don't need.
8) Remove deleted files
9) Defrag twice
10) Turn on swap file - I use a fixed length file with a size of double my ram.

When playing any game I disable any antivirus or resident software besides the game I'm playing. Check task manager and kill anything you don't need. Check that your disk drive are using DMA access that can be a bottleneck.

Anyway hope that helps.. There are probably a lot of guys here a lot more technically astitute than me so maybe they can chime in with some suggestions too.

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 6:18:30 PM   
52nd Lowland

And remember to close Uncommon Valor as well...as i have done this several times when playing PBEM games D O H

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 6:52:37 PM   
Grouchy

Turn combat reports & animations off and press z or any other letter and it takes about 1 minute for each turn.

< Message edited by Grouchy -- 7/9/2004 5:53:55 PM >

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 10:55:09 PM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: joey

I have sound off (file renamed), delays to lowest setting, all animations off, all reports off and it still takes me one hour per a one day turn to process the AI's actions and the combat results in the long campaign game. Yes, I would like some way to speed that up. The "train ship crews" activity takes 10 + minutes alone. I feel your pain.

You know its always a game that forces me to upgrade my system.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 11:12:49 PM   
joey

Upgrade !$%$#@ I have a decent system. 1.7 ghz pentium 4 mobile, 40 gig HD with 20 gigs free, 512M SODRAM, and a decent video card. This machine usually flys. That may explain my concern. Not that I would not like a faster machine, but even I have limits.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 11:32:59 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Upgrade !$%$#@ I have a decent system. 1.7 ghz pentium 4 mobile, 40 gig HD with 20 gigs free, 512M SODRAM, and a decent video card. This machine usually flys. That may explain my concern. Not that I would not like a faster machine, but even I have limits.

Umm, if you think that is decent, I really have to chuckle. Thats a standard poorman's laptop. You might want to try disabling all your power management crap that slows it down.

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 11:43:51 PM   
jhdeerslayer

I hate when you suger coat things Mr. Frag!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 11:46:23 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I hate when you suger coat things Mr. Frag!

Well, you know, when people start talking about 3 year old machines as current ...

Current = 3+ GHz machine give or take. Bargain = 2.4 GHz, < 2 = someone's handmedowns

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 11:49:32 PM   
kaleun

quote:

Umm, if you think that is decent, I really have to chuckle. Thats a standard poorman's laptop. You might want to try disabling all your power management crap that slows it down.

I have a P3mobile, at 1200MHz, 512 RAM, and 26 Gb free on my 55 gig HD. Have had no problems running this. I am NOT repeat NOT going to upgrade for this game.. (Because it runs quite nicely, otherwise I'd have to be sucking up to the missus to explain why I need a new laptop)

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 16
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 11:54:12 PM   
Mr.Frag

Yep, thats the humor ... I really do feel for people with the early generation P4's because people with P3's will actually run circles around them.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/9/2004 11:59:31 PM   
docdoom7

Meh, decent is all relative. I have a machine similar to the above 1.6 mhz p4 with 512 RAM. Heck, I'd consider it great because it runs all my games just fine, and I usually play some pretty graphically intense games :P You don't need the top of the line for gaming (although it sure is nice to have!) because the speed at which computers are advancing is way out performing the specs needed for games. I think my comp is still right around the recommended machine for most of the games I've been getting lately. I wouldn't be upgrading to play ONE game either, its when you start to notice most new games struggling on your system that you need to upgrade. So far so good :)

Then again, WitP runs just fine on my machine :)

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 18
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 12:00:17 AM   
Capitaine

It also might be nice to be able to animate ONLY the battles under "human control". I agree there needs to be less reporting of things that take up time, rather than just speeding up the time. There are some things I want time to be able to read, others I don't want to see at all.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 19
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 12:00:39 AM   
Ron Saueracker

I'mstill running an AMD 1000 Thunderbirdand am only just starting to pine for an upgrade...will come when Pacific Fighters comes on the market.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 20
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 12:01:16 AM   
Hartford688

Are the published min specs realistic? I have a PIII 800 which per the site is OK....but am wary of such "minimum requirements" (CFS3 anyone?)

< Message edited by Hartford688 -- 7/9/2004 11:02:20 PM >

(in reply to docdoom7)
Post #: 21
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 12:06:17 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartford688

Are the published min specs realistic? I have a PIII 800 which per the site is OK....but am wary of such "minimum requirements" (CFS3 anyone?)

Should be fine.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Hartford688)
Post #: 22
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 12:45:42 AM   
mjk428

For comparison:

My "good" computer ($2000 2+ years ago) took 5:15 to run the last turn. It's a P4 2.4 512MB NOSOUND.

My "cheap" computer ($500 6 months ago) ran the same turn in 5 minutes on the dot. It's an Athlon XP 3000+ 512MB w/Sound.

This particular turn had a lot of ground units moving and probably spent at least one minute of the turn informing me of each one.

All message delays were at .1, no animations, no combat summaries. Didn't touch any keys as the turn ran.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 23
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 12:49:43 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Not me! My end turns take about 10 minutes or so. For me, the game is just fine. No problems with any of it. No major problems that is.
quote:

Any opinions?

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 24
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 12:59:58 AM   
Scott_USN

I have a 2.4 P4 and it takes about 30 second to 1 min for the ship training to get finished. It is the largest delay I have seen for any one process.

But I think there is something else wrong because a 2.4 is not that much faster then the 1.7 in reality. 1.7 should run this game just fine.

< Message edited by Scott_USN -- 7/9/2004 11:00:32 PM >

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 25
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 1:07:23 AM   
geozero

No. I like the pace. Lets me drink my beer.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 26
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 5:22:23 AM   
Mr.Frag

Just a little tip, scroll around the entire map once you load to get it all cached into memory.

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 27
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 5:24:28 AM   
Titanwarrior89

NO, its just fine.
quote:

Any opinions?

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 28
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 7:17:09 AM   
worr

Hit any number from your keypad too.

That really speeds things up, until you have a combat report. Then hit esc and hit a number again.

Worr, out

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 29
RE: Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? - 7/10/2004 7:38:04 AM   
Grotius

The manual also says something about the F9 key returning control to the human quickly. I haven't tried it because I like watching all the messages. Has anyone else?

I could do without the messages about what the AI is doing, though. "Planning major air strikes," "setting CAP," etc. Then again, I'm running a debug version to help test sound; maybe that stuff's not in the regular .exe.

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Anyone else wish for faster turn processing? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI