Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek - 7/16/2004 7:47:38 PM   
Bandkanon

I would say that Chiang comes close to being the worst general in the game but I do agree he isn't the worst like you said. But Chiang's talents was always on the political side.

Thanks for the info on the off topic post. I kept asking that question when I was in Taiwan but never got a straight answer. I knew that China copied Japan and Japan copied German but I never understood the implications behind using the German legal system. Here is another OT question: As a professor of law would you happen to know the pass rate on the bar in Taiwan? I think its higher than Japan's horrendous 2%, but maybe that went higher since the system changed to a graduate law education.

(in reply to ycwang)
Post #: 31
RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek - 7/16/2004 8:17:58 PM   
timtom

How does CKS' stats effect the Chinese position in the game? Reading the AAR's, it seems that the IJA is pushing the Chinese back all along the front with little effort. This begs the question why, if the game reflects history, the Japanse didn't wrap China up nicely.

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Bandkanon)
Post #: 32
RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek - 7/17/2004 1:48:47 AM   
Bandkanon

quote:

ORIGINAL: timtom

How does CKS' stats effect the Chinese position in the game? Reading the AAR's, it seems that the IJA is pushing the Chinese back all along the front with little effort. This begs the question why, if the game reflects history, the Japanse didn't wrap China up nicely.

Are you asking why in history the IJA didn't complete their invasion of China?

The IJA didn't really have the resources to continue to go any deeper. The IJA controlled the major cities but definitely guerrilla activity hindered any major incursions into the countryside. The main reason why the Japanese attacked Pearl was because they needed to cripple the USN in order to invade the resource rish Dutch Indies and British Malaya. The US and British cut off resource shipments to Japan to protest continued aggression in China. By December 1941 the Japanese had about 180 days left of resources before their industry falls apart due to the lack of resources. I hope that answers your question. I also think that there are others in this forum who can provide more details.

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 33
RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek - 7/17/2004 2:14:43 AM   
timtom

Well, not quite, Bandkanon, the question is this:

To my knowledge, the IJA more or less sat on its ass in China until 1944, when they went after the B-29 bases and all that. Reading the AAR's on this forum, an IJA offensive in China from the word GO! seems to be the norm, and with great succes I might add: The main challenge for the Allied player seems to be to avoid a collapse in China. Now, if this reflects the actual, historical balance between the IJA and the KMT at the time, why is it that the theatre historically became a backwater, when the game tells us there's an easy victory to be had for the IJA. Does this disparity reflect a flaw in the game?

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Bandkanon)
Post #: 34
RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek - 7/17/2004 2:17:03 AM   
Bandkanon

Heh, now thats a question. I didn't know that its so easy to romp around China at will. Hopefully the Japanese player will pay for it when the US comes a knocking.

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 35
RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek - 7/17/2004 2:22:37 AM   
timtom

Well, I don't know either (haven't got the game YET ), its just my impression from reading the AAR's.l

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Bandkanon)
Post #: 36
RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek - 7/17/2004 3:13:39 AM   
Bandkanon

quote:

ORIGINAL: timtom

Well, I don't know either (haven't got the game YET ), its just my impression from reading the AAR's.l

Still waiting for the CD to be delivered? Yeah that sucks. Hope you get it soon. Are you also paying for the VAT?

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 37
RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek - 7/17/2004 3:55:40 AM   
timtom

No, Im actually waiting to get it in a case and all, well that and the fact that I haven't got the time to spare this month, really. Hopefully there'll be a patch or two out by the time my schedule clears up (can't help hanging out here, though, and its three in the morning already - I oughtabe )

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Bandkanon)
Post #: 38
RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek - 7/25/2004 3:34:37 AM   
Arsaces

While CKS was a man of some ability, these abilities were mainly political. He chose his military subordinates for their political loyalty, not for their military competence. Since CKS understood that the road to power belong to he who controlled the best army, he was obsessed by the imperative of preventing any of his generals from becoming too powerful.

In any case by 1942, China, was basically exhausted by years of war and invasion and was in no shape to mount any kind of offensive. The fall of Burma, following the occupation of French Indo-China, effectively isolated China from the outside world, and exposed the country to slow strangulation. The situation of China actually deteriorated with America's entry into the war and led to the catastrophes of 1944.

American planners devised grandiose schemes for using Chinese manpower armed by american weapons to defeat the IJA in an asian land war. Chinese leaders, accepted the foreign weapons, made polite noises and pursued the ancient strategy of using the barbarians to fight the barbarians. They could do little else.

Actually Wavell was one of the better generals of the British army, as he showed in North Africa, proving more than a match for his adversaries until he was obliged to send half his armies to Greece and Crete. Churchill gave him one impossible assignment after another. His Far East command was the most impossible of all.

(in reply to ycwang)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Ratings of Chiang Kai-Shek Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI