Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Took the base. Now what?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Took the base. Now what? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 9:04:40 PM   
mavraam

OK, after a much harder battle than anticipated, I have just captured Saipan. WOO HOO!

But... there are still 15,000 very angry Japanese who don't appear ready to surrender any time soon. The airfield and port are both at 100% damage. Fortifications at 0. And I'm running out of supplies!

What sequence of steps should I go through to get this thing from a useless sheethole to a shiny, happy, ass-kicking base?

Post #: 1
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 9:06:26 PM   
Mr.Frag

Welcome to hell. Now you have to comtinue killing them with attacks until they are all dead.

THEN you can move on to the NEXT base

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 2
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 9:12:43 PM   
AmiralLaurent

Bring engineers units with vehicles, like Seabees and EAB, and bring some tens of thousand of supplies (and also fuel). Engineers with enough supplies will repair the base, and then expand it (rebuilding forts, for example).

As for the 15000 Japanese remaining in the jungle, in UV they will be destroyed in two days of attacks... but not in WITP. Except if you have a huge numerical superiority, wait at least some days and pound them with artillery, planes and why not warships. They may launch shock counter-attacks, that are the best way for you to kill scores of them. Once they stop attacking, they are probably worn out and you can attack them once your units are in a good state (low disruption and fatigue). I have found that it is a good idea to have a reserve force for garnison duties, that will replace the troops used for assault and destroy the remains of the Japanese garnison. Really fresh troops will be far more efficient.

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 3
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 10:25:02 PM   
rogueusmc

Bring in a boatload of sake and a few women and they will be 15,000 pacified Japanese.....done....

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 4
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 10:31:17 PM   
mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: AmiralLaurent

Bring engineers units with vehicles, like Seabees and EAB, and bring some tens of thousand of supplies (and also fuel). Engineers with enough supplies will repair the base, and then expand it (rebuilding forts, for example).

As for the 15000 Japanese remaining in the jungle, in UV they will be destroyed in two days of attacks... but not in WITP. Except if you have a huge numerical superiority, wait at least some days and pound them with artillery, planes and why not warships. They may launch shock counter-attacks, that are the best way for you to kill scores of them. Once they stop attacking, they are probably worn out and you can attack them once your units are in a good state (low disruption and fatigue). I have found that it is a good idea to have a reserve force for garnison duties, that will replace the troops used for assault and destroy the remains of the Japanese garnison. Really fresh troops will be far more efficient.

Can transports unload when the port is 100% damaged?

I have a replenish TF close by with lots of fuel and supplies, if I change it to a transport, can it unload there?

@rogueusmc:

I seem to be having trouble finding the 'Load booze and whores' button on the task force screen!

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 5
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 10:39:23 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavraam

I seem to be having trouble finding the 'Load booze and whores' button on the task force screen!

WHAT ??? You must not have the latest patch.... You have to pay extra for this patch

Xargun

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 6
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 10:50:01 PM   
Nikademus

yes, it can unload at a 100% damaged port.....just slowly

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 7
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 10:53:16 PM   
AmiralLaurent

Unloading in 100% damaged ports can be done. It will be done at beach rates, so very slowly, but will be done. Once you hold the base or dot, you may land fuel and supplies in it. And as you need supplies to repair the base, you should do it.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 8
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 11:04:40 PM   
John B

Probably been mentioned somewhere before, but what if anything happens eventually to these "hold-out" units which have been left , usually on an island, with no friendly bases? I've a few Dutch in Borneo, for example, at the moment. Do they eventually "die" from lack of supply?

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 9
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 11:15:50 PM   
Nikademus

yep

(in reply to John B)
Post #: 10
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 11:18:51 PM   
von Murrin

VERY slowly. It feels like one at a time.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 11
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 11:30:57 PM   
mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B

Probably been mentioned somewhere before, but what if anything happens eventually to these "hold-out" units which have been left , usually on an island, with no friendly bases? I've a few Dutch in Borneo, for example, at the moment. Do they eventually "die" from lack of supply?

Then, 40 years later, they get discovered sneaking into a village to steal food, convinced the war is still going on. Damn this game is detailed!

< Message edited by mavraam -- 7/15/2004 9:31:23 PM >

(in reply to John B)
Post #: 12
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 11:37:41 PM   
Nikademus

the game would end long before the 15000 troops went from disabled to destroyed. better to mop em up.

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 13
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/15/2004 11:38:20 PM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B

Then, 40 years later, they get discovered sneaking into a village to steal food, convinced the war is still going on. Damn this game is detailed!

Then they find out their country is making all of our country's radios and TVs....lol

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 14
RE: Took the base. Now what? - 7/16/2004 1:22:56 AM   
John B

I'm trying to imagine what some Dutch hold-outs in the 1970's would be like.... h'mm next thing they'll be launching some Banzai attacks -mounted on bicycles probably, and throwing cheeses

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Took the base. Now what? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI