Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Leader name database

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Leader name database Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Leader name database - 1/14/2002 9:10:00 AM   
richmonder

Is there any way to alter the database that the name uses for leader's last names?

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)
Post #: 1
- 1/14/2002 5:11:00 PM   
RockinHarry

hi richmonder, I think there´s no way to alter the leaders names like in SP2WW2. Probably some Editor like SPILC/SPILE would be needed to change these "hardcoded" tables!? _________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to richmonder)
Post #: 2
- 1/14/2002 6:35:00 PM   
ruxius

Good point about this !
Actually I suspect there is a file somewhere where all names are stored..since each campaign often shows repeated names I guess this file is not very large... Truly this is not a 'problem' in SPWAW cause you can rename leaders' names according to your own preference.. I noticed the game seems to pick randomly names form that file ..this way probability of repeated names is higher than the simple sequential list of them
on the other hand a serial choosing of names would provide always the same boring sequence of names.. The best solution would be in the middle..a random generator of name with exclusion of names already used..when the list is depleted
a generic GERMANNAME0001 is provided to advise the player and change it... I hope maybe one day the integrated general editor of CL will also let the player or better the designer create and assign to a campaign
user-defined names where to pick from .
The designer will take care of choosing them according to the right context of war ! As for now actual solution is not perfect but it offers the correct flexibility to face the issue!

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to richmonder)
Post #: 3
- 1/14/2002 8:06:00 PM   
Dogfish

Hey All: There's no packaged utility that I know of yet. You can use any hex editor though... I use Hex Workshop... (downloadable). Open the mech.exe file... make sure you select ascii, not hex and do a search/find on a name you know is there... It will find it and display the ascii hex along with the hex code. You can edit this and the just save the file. You'll see in the ascii display of the table that the names are seperated by a period (.). I remember from changing a few things in SP3 that the table is address based, and not seperator based. To keep it simple, it means that, until someone writes a simple utility, your editing is limited to the number of charactors between periods for any individual name. .Jones. an be edited to .Smith. since both names are 5 charactors... but .Barney. will mess things up. You can replace .Jones. with Pit by simply putting in the space as padding, ".Pit..."
if I recall the spaces show as periods also. You'll not only see the leader names this way, but all the ascii that is printed by the game. All of the unit classes, etc., are all in there.
As a future thing in SP3, I had once made an AirMech category by editing this way.

When you're wounded and left
on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out
to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle
and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Kipling

------------------

(in reply to richmonder)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Leader name database Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI