Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

does anyone know how to order the AI to defend ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> does anyone know how to order the AI to defend ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
does anyone know how to order the AI to defend ? - 1/20/2002 1:56:00 AM   
Antonius

I'm not talking of scen design here but of normal game-play, when you give the AI control of some of the formations.
I have no problem telling the AI to go somewhere using way-points. But once ot reaches its destination it invariably decides to go somewhere else, regardless of objective hex, stance etc ! Ok, I know there is no plan to revamp the AI (and I do want Combat Leader...) but maybe there is some quick fix or trick to make the AI just a little more obedient and sensible ?

Wargamo, ergo sum
Post #: 1
- 1/20/2002 9:15:00 AM   
Major Destruction

Assuming you are referring to the situation where you have assigned some of your own units to computer control; Once the units have completed their mission, the AI will assign them a new mission.
To prevent this, you must assign the new mission by either using the waypoints and objective flags, or by setting the units to defend stance (assuming you have C2 set to ON). However circumstances sometimes cause the AI to disregard your orders and act under it's own initiative. If this happens, revert to human control for a few turns then reassign the mission if it still seems possible to complete.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 2
- 1/21/2002 3:12:00 AM   
Antonius

quote:

Originally posted by Major Destruction:
Assuming you are referring to the situation where you have assigned some of your own units to computer control; Once the units have completed their mission, the AI will assign them a new mission.
To prevent this, you must assign the new mission by either using the waypoints and objective flags, or by setting the units to defend stance (assuming you have C2 set to ON). However circumstances sometimes cause the AI to disregard your orders and act under it's own initiative. If this happens, revert to human control for a few turns then reassign the mission if it still seems possible to complete.

Yes, the idea is to design a battle plan and let the AI fight the battle according do it.
And yes I do have C2 on. I have never seen the AI go towards an objetive flag nor stop because I set a formation to defensive stance. OK it can be done by reverting it to manual control but then I also have to do the non-opp firing and that's precisely what I'm trying to avoid !
Maybe the AI's total irrespect of the objectives flags and stance orders is because I have always tested this in meeting engagements, where I control so few flags that the AI decides that it must attack (in pure 1941 soviet fashion...) ? [ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: Antonius ]

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 3
- 1/21/2002 7:08:00 AM   
Major Destruction

I would suggest that you need to control one of the sides. The next step is to save the battle in scenario form. Then the computer opponent will do quite well.
AI controlled units do not stay in defend mode for very long unless you play around with the reaction turns and/or set the battle to an AI defend battle in your initial set up.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> does anyone know how to order the AI to defend ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI