Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombing Bettys

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Bombing Bettys Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombing Bettys - 7/28/2004 6:00:09 PM   
Sonny

An Allied AK was sailing within a hex or two of a Japanese base (Palau,Truk, Kwajalien - can't remember) when it was attacked by a group of Bettys who got one bomb hit out of 20 or so aircraft. The strange thing was that the Bettys used bombs (at 7000 feet) instead of using torpedoes.

Is there some range restriction on using torps? I know on the first turn when attacking the port of PH there is a decision made as to bombs vs torps but didn't think it applied to naval attack.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
Post #: 1
RE: Bombing Bettys - 7/28/2004 6:19:51 PM   
Caltone

This may be similar to situation we are having in our game Sonny. It turned out for me the reason was the base they were launching from was not yet size 4. If the base is less than size 4 they will always use bombs for naval attack. Other than that, they will use torps from normal range and bombs at extended range. The altittude does have an impact as well.

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 2
RE: Bombing Bettys - 7/28/2004 6:30:29 PM   
Mr.Frag

Remember the penalty imposed by an airfield too small. All aircraft fly at the extended range configuration if they are operating from a base too small for their needs. Loadouts at extreme range will be bombs instead of torps as well as aircraft flying from too small a base.

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 3
RE: Bombing Bettys - 7/28/2004 8:45:37 PM   
Sonny

Never thought about that. OK. I will check and see if I can find which base they were flying from.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 4
RE: Bombing Bettys - 7/28/2004 9:31:41 PM   
Cmdrcain

Interesting, had"t noticed that, but I'd say it is
better then in the original Pacwar where unless a lef\vel 4 AF , Level bombers couldn't even fly...

Things are different in this version, AF size is more for how well handles
any type of plane then in limiting an AF to certain sizes then?

So a Betty or a B25 can fly off a size 1, 2 or 3 but their limited in bombload and other things,
in original a Level group on a size 1,2, or 3 would all be inoperative.

Gotta take that in account now, just cause its a size 1 or 2 doesn't mean Nasty Bettys aren't flying out of there..

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 5
RE: Bombing Bettys - 7/28/2004 9:56:41 PM   
Mr.Frag

Same applies to any aircraft flying a strike mission. Undersized bases make them fly as if extended range.

This becomes really critical for the Yanks as the B-29 monster REQUIRES a size 7 airfield for normal operations.

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 6
RE: Bombing Bettys - 7/28/2004 10:26:02 PM   
sven6345789

check if the bettys have a secondary mission assigned. Had that problem in the campaign game. primary mission:naval attack, secondary mission: airfield attack with clark as target= result:Bettys attacked high and didn't hit a thing; retried that by deleting the target and the secondary mission and voila->torpedo attacks and lots and lots of wrecks. Don't know whether this is a bug, but it sure sounds like one.

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 7
RE: Bombing Bettys - 7/29/2004 3:52:29 AM   
Sonny

As fr as I can tell they flew from Bonin which is only a level 2 base. So that was the answer.

Quote from Snigbert -

ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 8
RE: Bombing Bettys - 7/29/2004 5:16:00 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

As fr as I can tell they flew from Bonin which is only a level 2 base. So that was the answer.

Working as designed

Watch them ops losses on a size 2 base, gonna hurt you.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Bombing Bettys Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI