Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reinforcement hexes in custom maps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Reinforcement hexes in custom maps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reinforcement hexes in custom maps - 1/22/2002 4:49:00 PM   
Shakaali

When I start a PBEM battle using custom map with both starts and victory hexes on random, the reinforcement and retreat hexes are on the wrong ends of the map, ie. my hexes are behind my opponents back and his/hers hexes are behind my back. It happens every single time. Anybody got a clue why that happens and what could be done to avoid that?

Post #: 1
- 1/22/2002 5:17:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

First time I hear about that, and that never happens to me. You can always choose a map, go to the editor and make sure reinforcement hexes are where it should be. Then in PBEM make the battle Custom Random Both. But that is not the ideal solution. BTW: what version do you have?

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 2
- 1/22/2002 6:08:00 PM   
Don Doom

quote:

Originally posted by Shakaali:
When I start a PBEM battle using custom map with both starts and victory hexes on random, the reinforcement and retreat hexes are on the wrong ends of the map, ie. my hexes are behind my opponents back and his/hers hexes are behind my back. It happens every single time. Anybody got a clue why that happens and what could be done to avoid that?

Morning. In the map editor the is a button for switching sides, load your map and then switch sides, make sure you use a virgin map ie no troops have been deployed. I have not tried doing the switch with deployed units. Have fun and good luck.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 3
- 1/22/2002 8:14:00 PM   
skukko

You can take out former deployment data by saving map as a scenario to somewhere. Then delete *.rec of the scen, load it again and save map. Switch sides and !! place reinforcement and retreat flags to sides taht you have intends to use. !! it works. Lähetä kartta mulle niin voin sen tehdä. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 4
- 1/23/2002 2:38:00 AM   
Shakaali

Thanks, guys. But, it seems to happen on every map I use, on those that came with SPWAW, on those created by yours truly, on those created by someone else and on those randomly created by map editor. I'm currently using version 7.0, but it's been happening ever since version 4.5, which was the first one I used. It's really starting to drive me nuts.

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 5
- 1/23/2002 4:47:00 AM   
skukko

Yeah, it is annoying that flag-data is not saved with map, if it is loaded to battle generator. This behavior was under investigations last summer, but unfortunately there were no room in code to fix it. So, for custom map: - Load map, set first player side from that switch in map-editor. Set reinforcement and retreat flags to correct sides, save map. Load map into battle generator with button saying; 'As designed' or 'Random vics'. Load map and it will have correctly set retreat/reinforcement hexes. And randomised Victory objectives. This is must to do when using custom maps in generated battles, and pbems. If you want to use same map and flip sides, do as above. In Random maps: Set preferences before going into here. (Going again to preference -screen during battle setup will mess things for you ) Set fighting forces/ game lenght/ visibility/ weather and map as random. Continue and you will have deploylines set as far away from each other as visibility is, all flags as they should be. Here is one warning: Player who sets the battle should be player who Starts from lefthand side of the map. This is only 100% secure way to do it! If not at the left, game can cause some errors as you have already noted. Starter is by default in code at the left side of the map. Starting on random map from righthand side can be done and works best with custom maps. (You can for example create custom map in map-editor, set it correctly and load it into battle with that 'As designed' switch.) With little practise maps can be loaded as they should be. When using same custom map and starting from left and right in differend games, you'll need two differend maps. Hope this helps mosh

salute

mosh

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 6
- 1/23/2002 10:04:00 AM   
Redleg

Custom maps in generated battles are tricky!
Mosh has the correct info. Take the extra couple of minutes to be sure all is well in the map before spending all of that time deploying...

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 7
- 1/23/2002 12:53:00 PM   
swagman

Aaaah...time to savour an old problem which I have previously run a thread or two on...picked up some interesting info. I think I have tried just about everything to get the sides to set correctly...placed the hexes, switched sides on the map, switched sides in the battle generator...and it seems like my units and the retreat/reinforcement hexes are like opposite poles...no matter what I do the hexes skittle to the opposite side of the map... BUT THERE IS A SOLUTION (I believe...given to me by one of the wizards of the forum). I haven't tested this rigorously, but in the games I've used it I have had no problem. SOLUTION: the custom map must be created in editor with the same nationalities on the same map-sides as will be used in the Generated Scenario.

Of course, for some reason, the supplied map set seems to accept any combination without a problem.
In the bad old days I went into Editor, leaving the nationalities the default german/soviet...then used the map for a US/Japan generated battle...it didn't like that...now if I want a US/Japan I set the sides in Editor before going into the Map Editor. Hope this helps

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 8
- 1/23/2002 11:01:00 PM   
skukko

Good point Swagman I do as you said and it is my behavior so hard that I didn't even think about it anymore. Very good note mosh

salute

mosh

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 9
- 1/24/2002 2:30:00 AM   
Shakaali

Thank you, Mosh and Swagman. I hope the info you've given me keeps me out of loony bin for a little further

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 10
- 2/7/2002 4:29:00 PM   
skukko

bump

salute

mosh

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 11
- 4/4/2002 3:49:19 PM   
skukko

bumpy

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 12
- 4/5/2002 8:10:58 AM   
Jack

It is really too bad that you have to go to all that trouble to use a custom map for a BPEM game. I brought this up almost a year ago and still no improvements made as far as the reinforcement hex goes and set up side.
I find there are two different types of people who play SPWAW. Those who only play the AI, and rarely another human, and those like me who prefer to play against humans. I guess maybe our wheel isn't squeeky enough to get much grease.
You can make such great maps but not get the full benifet for PBEM.
Roll Low

(in reply to Shakaali)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Reinforcement hexes in custom maps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI