Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War Planning

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> War Planning Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War Planning - 8/3/2004 2:09:21 PM   
Gustavius

I just received my copy of WitP and am about to start the strategic scenario with a good friend (for now...). I would like to have a discussion here on what the major objectives should be early on in the game, and how I best use my initial forces as a Japanese player. I understand discussing the strategic war and not specifics can bed somewhat difficult and abstract, but perhaps it´s possible to divide it into 6-months increments.
Increment 1: dec ´41-jun ´42, objectives: Singapore, Phillipines, etc...
Anyway, any hints and recommendations for a new player on the big issues would be appreciated! Thank you!

Post #: 1
RE: War Planning - 8/3/2004 2:19:13 PM   
Andy Mac

Only one I can think of (as I tend to only play Allies) is not to be greedy ingapore especially can hurt you if you try for Palembag to early.... avoid the tempatation.

For the rest in the early game securing phillipines and Malaya are no.1 priority until you do that you are hampered.

After these campaigns are completed is the period of Allied vulnerability.

Andy

(in reply to Gustavius)
Post #: 2
RE: War Planning - 8/4/2004 11:21:02 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gustavius

I just received my copy of WitP and am about to start the strategic scenario with a good friend (for now...). I would like to have a discussion here on what the major objectives should be early on in the game, and how I best use my initial forces as a Japanese player. I understand discussing the strategic war and not specifics can bed somewhat difficult and abstract, but perhaps it´s possible to divide it into 6-months increments.
Increment 1: dec ´41-jun ´42, objectives: Singapore, Phillipines, etc...
Anyway, any hints and recommendations for a new player on the big issues would be appreciated! Thank you!
My opinion from limited experience…

Plan long term. Plan small. Plan details.

For example.

If you plan on taking the Gilberts, you will capture four small islands. This can be done with a single SNLF as it hops from one empty base to the next, but what will you defend these bases with? Let us say you decide to use four small SNLF spread out over this island group. They will defend, but really need fortifications to be at there strongest. So you might need to ship in some Construction Bn. (Engineer) of some sort to get this started, because construction is not quick. Each of these bases if manned will need supply, and especially if you do build up fortifications; and this will probably have to be shipped from Japan… a significant number of days away. What about recon? These bases are exposed and you could use some early warning if the American decide to pay a visit…perhaps some seaplanes based at Tarawa for early warning would be nice. Where do they come from and how will they be supported?

Initial attacks in the Philippines and Malaya are already planed, plus most players are being much more aggressive in China than historical. It would be odd for the Allied player to ignore reinforcing the SW Pacific early in the war, well before it was done historically… so you might want to move quickly in this direction.

Island Hoping
Examine the map and airbases. You should try and have aircraft to cover your invasion forces and your level bombers work best from air bases level 4 or greater where they will also need aviation support units and supply. Especially early, a 4 or greater airfield with supply and aviation support with some A6M2 and G3M or G4M groups can total disrupt defenses in the DEI.

Was this of any help or what you were looking for?

< Message edited by Culiacan Mexico -- 8/4/2004 11:22:21 AM >

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Gustavius)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> War Planning Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI