Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Kamikaze During WWII

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Kamikaze During WWII Page: <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 12:48:02 AM   
Rob Brennan UK

I'd love to see you whittle his night fighter pool of F6's down next .. imagine !!!!!!!!!!

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 3061
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 1:17:11 AM   
PzB74

It seems a bit odd to me that the threat of being hit by a few hundred kamis in 44-45 raises so much concern.
This was the reality in the real war, and should be a relevant threat in this game as well.

My guesstimate is that of 1000 trained kami Zekes, some 250 will hit enemy ships. Perhaps 50-75 will hit 5-8
enemy carriers of all types.

If I manage to score hits by using conventional bombers and low level kami attacks, I will referain from using the
high altitude fighters in kamikaze missions.

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3062
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 7:58:54 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

It seems a bit odd to me that the threat of being hit by a few hundred kamis in 44-45 raises so much concern.
This was the reality in the real war, and should be a relevant threat in this game as well.

Well let’s be fair, we can't mimic picket ships in WitP and a lot of Kami's attacked them instead of the fleet’s main body. So trying to equate a few hundred hits in WitP with the historical hits achieved isn't really fair. Your few hundred will hit mostly vital ships like CV's and troop transports instead of some picket DD's 60 miles from the main fleet.

Also only about 30 of the 300 ships hit were sunk. I bet you get a far better result than a 10% sink rate just due to the bloody nature of combat routines in the game engine.

I agree the engine needs to be tweaked to let kami's through the CAP in historical numbers. But I also think Andy's objection of your exploiting a game quirk is more than justified. At least when allied heavy bombers fly too high to be intercepted there is a serious loss of accuracy. Kamis should suffer the same serious degrade in accuracy I think.

Jim

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3063
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 10:10:17 AM   
veji1

Come on Jim !!! Are you saying that it is not possible to use picket ships in WITP ? Have you read Andy's and Pauk's AAR on their PBEM and many other AARS ? Picket ships can and are used in WITP, so this objection of yours appears to me largely unfounded..

Before complaining that PZB will end up sinking too many capital ships could you please wait for him to sink at least one ? Please ?

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 3064
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 3:57:13 PM   
Nemo121

One can simulate picket ships in WiTP by creating several DD TFs in the same hex as the US CV TF. Some of the kamikazes will get decoyed into attacking the picket ships. Simple and effective!

I also think Veji's comment is hillarious ;) and agree with him. Before condemning something as over-powered because you "bet" and feel in your waters that kamikazes will have x effect on the game lets wait and see shall we? I personally think that if you look at it logically the Zekes won't be sinking any ships in CV-protected TFs ( since they don't pack a sufficiently strong punch on a per plane basis). They will be causing increasing system damage and create a gradual drain of ships from the TFs which will disrupt these TFs and, perhaps, make a full-blooded Kami-Sally strike a possibility... which may actually result in sinkings.

However until we see this all in action who knows what will happen? Andy should see sense though and take the northern Borneo bases before taking Taan and Formosa. This gives him large bases for LBA and minimises PzBs ability to bring large ground formations to bear. However he will probably try for one more major CV-supported invasion as he doesn't seem the sort to really re-adjust on the fly and if he does go for this CV invasion then he WILL suffer losses, not because of poor in-game modelling but simply because he has over-extended this force and thus should be suffering pretty serious losses.

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 3065
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 7:06:07 PM   
mogami

Hi, I think expecting 250 out of 1000 is a bit high. 120 out of 1000 would be closer to what actually occured.
But also I think you will use closer to 3000 aircraft in these type attacks and so will get close to the 300 historical hits.  The problem with using shorter range aircraft in kamikaze role is their being caught on ground by air attacks on turns there are no naval targets.

I think it is a waste of trained pilots to use them as Kamikazes let the experiance 40-50 pilots fly these missions (and send greater numbers) and keep trained fighter pilots over your Home Island production centers. You want to force the enemy into bombing at night because that is less then 10 percent as effective as bombing in daylight.

< Message edited by Mogami -- 8/22/2006 7:07:03 PM >

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 3066
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 10:05:03 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: veji1
Picket ships can and are used in WITP, so this objection of yours appears to me largely unfounded..

I would agree with you except for one thing. The game engine seems to have x-ray vision when choosing targets and always chooses loaded transports over non-loaded transports.

I’ve played through the opening weeks probably 6-8 times in PBEM games and every single time no matter how many “picket” ship task forces I created as decoys when trying to sneak forces out of the PI, the Japanese air strikes ALWAYS hit my loaded ships 100% of the time. The decoys were only targeted after the vital task forces were damaged or sunk.

As to my posts timing, give me a break. I was responding to PZB’s musings. I think it would be a bit weird to wait several weeks before replying. I did say, “I bet he would get”, I didn’t say he would get. It was merely a conversational observation, not some declaration of fact.

Jim

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 3067
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 10:29:36 PM   
Rainerle

Maybe thats because a loaded ship is easily distinguished  from an empty ship ???

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 3068
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 10:49:30 PM   
PzB74

Picket ships can be simulated well enough, problem is they will receive the same CAP protection as the carriers in the same hex.
I agree that only time will show how effective the kamis will be. After trying to punch a whole in the enemy CAP for more than a year,
I'm not very keen on trying since it will mean the end of another 500 ac.

Have to experiment with different approaches, doubt I will drop 500 high altitude Zekes into Andy's carrier TFs. The threat and continual
employment of them could be more interesting. You wont' sink many capital ships with Zekes, pretty sure of that.

Andy's not the only one that has been struggling with ac that can't be intercepted. Not long ago since my ships in Manila hit mines laid by
B29s. While their use was reduced, Andy didn't stop laying aerial mines. It's important to find an approach that provides game balance.
Zame with high altitude kami Zekes - I don't like it, and it can be called a lot of things. Still, it brings a little balance to the Force by making
it possible to finally break through the Uber CAP.

Guess the number of hits by kamis depend on several factors Mogami;
1. Pilot experience/fatigue
2. Target sped and manouverability
3. Enemy FLAK

I've seen 9/10 low experience kamikaze miss fast and manouverable targets. More successful against
cargo ships and transports.

Diving from 38k feet would be a step-by step process. It would be very difficult to see an ac diving out of the sun,
picking up speed and manouvering before diving towards a target. There should really be an 'out of the sun-clouds' option in WitP.
Surprise is THE most important element in war, how is it possible to create a wargame without it!?

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 3069
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 10:52:55 PM   
LittleJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

Maybe thats because a loaded ship is easily distinguished from an empty ship ???

I wouldnt imagine so, if you fly down close enough to check you would get flakked down.

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 3070
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 10:56:57 PM   
mogami

Hi, Dive bombing takes place from around 7k feet. Any aircraft that began a dive at 38k would have it's wings fall off. (I don't think Zekes have dive brakes) Kamikazes tried to come in low where they could not be intercepted from below and attacks from above had to break off because attacker had to pull up. (I do think they tried to attack from higher as well to achive the classic "high low" attack but the high attacks were effectively intercepted.  Also AA fire was reduced against low attacks because fewer ships could target the aircraft. This is why so many outer ships were attacked (the pilots could not see the entire TF and attacked the first ship they saw)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3071
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/22/2006 11:55:33 PM   
PzB74

No, it would have to be a circling, diving decent out of the sun.
Should be possible to intercept - but also possible to arrive undetected. That applies to all altitudes...

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 3072
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/23/2006 12:54:54 PM   
Honda

A low angle dive can produce high-speed but just enough to keep the wings intact. It was practiced by german medium bombers in BoB to outrun Hurricanes (and maybe Spits, I'm not sure).

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3073
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/23/2006 8:17:19 PM   
Nemo121

Well I don't think anyone believes that a Zeke could dive from 38,000 feet without suffering from structural failure BUT it could certainly arrive in the CAP area at its operational ceiling and then rapidly trade height for speed in a relatively deep dive to 5 or 6000 feet over the ships ( from which a succesful steep dive could be ahieved).

So I'd be fully in favour of fixing the high altitude Kami-Zeke and modelling it more appropriately but ONLY if the code changes applied to UeberCAP also AT THE SAME TIME. No fair agitating for an answer to uebercap to be fixed if you don't agitate for uebercap to be fixed at the same time. But definitely we should always push for more realistic modelling of forces and their capabilities in the game.

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 3074
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/23/2006 11:26:29 PM   
PzB74

You know, the George got a top ceiling of 41k feet..but its payload is minute.
Don't want to use my best figthers as kamis either.

Today we got some veery satisfying results from night naval attacks.
1 enemy Hellcat shot down and a transport torpedoed. Andy WILL need his night fighters
from now on Been working hard for this little success, made me feel soooo gooood

Somehow I feel that our defenses are now better than ever. The loss of the advanced bases and
arrival of fresh troops have made it easier to prepare a defense in depth.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/24/44

Air Combat

We certainly got of night attacks today - our 'spotting' techniques
are paying off!

Night Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64

Japanese aircraft
B7A Grace x 12

Allied aircraft
F6F-5N Hellcat x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-5N Hellcat: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Amador
AK Alhena
AP George F. Elliot

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B7A Grace launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x B7A Grace launching torpedoes at 200 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
B7A Grace x 16
H8K Emily x 9

Allied aircraft
F6F-5N Hellcat x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged
H8K Emily: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses - Emily's got claws...
F6F-5N Hellcat: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged

Allied Ships
AP George F. Elliot
DE Whitman
AK Memphis City
AK Cheleb
AK Ascella
DE Harold C. Thomas
AO Saugatuck

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x H8K Emily launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x H8K Emily launching torpedoes at 200 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
H8K Emily x 6

Allied aircraft
F6F-5N Hellcat x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
H8K Emily: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-5N Hellcat: 5 damaged

Allied Ships
AO Saugatuck
AP Wayne, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage finally!!!
LCI(G) LCI(G)-77, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x H8K Emily launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on 711th USA Tank Battalion, at 33,62

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 22

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
44 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 2

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49 Helen x 20

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
72 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 3

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 5000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Noemfoor at 45,76

Japanese aircraft
B7A Grace x 12
P1Y Frances x 15

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 6 destroyed
P1Y Frances: 7 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufighter Mk 21: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
DE Lamons
AK Benjamin Carpenter, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
SC SC-631

Japanese aircraft
B7A Grace x 3
P1Y Frances x 11

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 1 damaged
P1Y Frances: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DE Lamons, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DE Hilbert

Ground Combat

Our troops are back in Tarakan with 9 forts and 465 AP!

Ground combat at 33,62

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 7402 troops, 0 guns, 379 vehicles, Assault Value = 220

Defending force 7451 troops, 4 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 152

Allied max assault: 284 - adjusted assault: 84

Japanese max defense: 103 - adjusted defense: 41

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
163 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
67 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 6

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Night Attack!

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 3075
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/23/2006 11:43:12 PM   
Nemo121

Hmm, do you mind telling us what your technique for night attacks is?

The best concept I've come up with is just stuffing the hexes you think the enemy CV TF may move along with subs and setting daitai to night attack and then waiting.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3076
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/24/2006 12:17:41 AM   
PzB74

It's about patience and spotting levels me thinks Nemo!
Andy is keeping his ships in Balikpapan for a long period of time, and I think my subs and night fighter attacks
increase the detection levels. When detection levels get high enough this may trigger air attacks by the experienced
air units on night naval attack in nearby bases.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 3077
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/24/2006 1:15:19 AM   
PzB74

Not a lot to report: Noemfoor is hit by super heavy bomardments.
Probably another assault on its way, Andy may have brought in fresh troops?

Redeployment of troops is nearing its completion. No more major reinforcements
for a while, but I'm quite happy with what's available. Still a bit uncertain about
how the bases in Malaya can be protected.

Several 100k's of resources have arrived in the Home Islands over the last month.
Will be interesting to see what impact this will have on reserves.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/25/44

Day Air attack on Amboina , at 39,73

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 15

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 3
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 2
B-25J Mitchell x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
G4M2 Betty: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk III: 1 destroyed
Beaufighter Mk 21: 2 destroyed
B-25J Mitchell: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 11
Day Air attack on 632nd USA Tank Destroyer Battalion, at 33,62

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 22

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
11 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on 632nd USA Tank Destroyer Battalion, at 33,62

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49 Helen x 20

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
83 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 4

Aircraft Attacking:

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 9

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 6

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
DE Lamons, heavy damage
AK Acubens

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x P1Y Frances bombing at 7000 feet
4 x P1Y Frances bombing at 7000 feet

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3078
RE: The Kamikaze During WWII - 8/24/2006 8:48:45 PM   
PzB74

Quiet...before the storm as usual.
Just a few days left of July and the Peggy bomber will go into production soon.
Some 100 units pr month will replace Sally and Helen units.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/26/44

Air Combat

More heavy raids against Noemfoor. We bring in supplys by air
and loose 12 transports. A Daitai of Zekes provided cover and lost 15 ac, but
managed to inflict some losses on the enemy.

Day Air attack on Noemfoor , at 45,76

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 13

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 4
Kittyhawk I x 10
Kittyhawk III x 8
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 14
Beaufort V-IX x 15
F-5C Lightning x 6
A-20G Havoc x 11
B-25J Mitchell x 12
PB4Y Liberator x 6
B-24J Liberator x 125

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 5 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk I: 2 destroyed
Kittyhawk III: 2 destroyed
Beaufighter Mk 21: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
A-20G Havoc: 1 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
31 casualties reported

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 197

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 4

Allied aircraft
Mosquito PR.IX x 6
P-38J Lightning x 44
PB4Y Liberator x 9
B-29 Superfortress x 118

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 13 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
40 casualties reported

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 190
Day Air attack on Wake Island , at 82,63

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 20

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 2
B-24J Liberator x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 3

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x B-24J Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
3 x B-24J Liberator bombing at 8000 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49 Helen x 20

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
86 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 3

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on 815th USA Tank Destroyer Battalion, at 33,62

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 22

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
55 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 3

Aircraft Attacking:
Several strikes against enemy ships at Noemfoor. Our units are resilient, quite a few
of the downed pilots return after a few days. The same formations have been in combat
for several weeks.

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 26

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
SC SC-631, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DE Lamons, heavy damage
AK Benjamin Carpenter, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Australian Victory

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x P1Y Frances bombing at 7000 feet

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 10
B7A Grace x 5
P1Y Frances x 9

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 2 destroyed
B7A Grace: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
P1Y Frances: 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufighter Mk 21: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Australian Victory
AK Benjamin Carpenter, on fire, heavy damage
DE Lamons, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x P1Y Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 13

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufighter Mk 21: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
DE Lamons, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DE Hilbert

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x P1Y Frances bombing at 7000 feet

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3079
Convoy Battles - Surface/Air - 8/24/2006 11:01:25 PM   
PzB74

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/27/44

Surface Combat

A small surface combat group was ordered to intercept the enemy convoy
during daylight. The Kashii withstood the enemy 5" shells and damaged several
enemy destroyers and an LST.

Day Time Surface Combat at 37,64

Japanese Ships
CL Kashii, Shell hits 12
DD Yugure, Shell hits 1
DD Hatakaze
PC Yashiro, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Kalk, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Stevenson, Shell hits 1
DD Thorn, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Ralph Talbot
DE Dionne
DE Duffy
DE Eisele
DE Elden
DE Fleming
DE Gilmore
DE Charles R. Greer
AP President Fillmore
AP American Legion
AP Frederick Funston
AP Hunter Liggett
LST LST-28
LST LST-30
LST LST-31
LST LST-34
LST LST-38
LST LST-39, Shell hits 2, on fire
LST LST-121
LST LST-122
LST LST-123
LST LST-171
LST LST-176
LST LST-219
LST LST-220
LST LST-224
LST LST-225
LST LST-226
LST LST-227
LST LST-240
LST LST-241
LST LST-242
LST LST-243
LST LST-244
LST LST-245
LST LST-246
LST LST-247
LST LST-248
LST LST-249
LST LST-268
LST LST-269
LST LST-270
LST LST-271
LST LST-272
LST LST-273
LST LST-274
LST LST-275
LST LST-276
LST LST-277
LST LST-335
LST LST-343
LST LST-344
LST LST-353

Allied ground losses: - this means that enemy troops are moving in...not out!
40 casualties reported

Air Combat

A dud hit was scored by the night bombers! 2 enemy night fighters were shot down.

Japanese aircraft
B7A Grace x 9

Allied aircraft
F6F-5N Hellcat x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
AK Autauga

Aircraft Attacking:

Japanese aircraft
B7A Grace x 10
H8K Emily x 5

Allied aircraft
F6F-5N Hellcat x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
H8K Emily: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-5N Hellcat: 2 destroyed, 6 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Autauga
AK Situla
AP Wayne, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x H8K Emily launching torpedoes at 200 feet
1 x B7A Grace launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 6

Allied aircraft
F6F-5N Hellcat x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-5N Hellcat: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Autauga

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on Menado , at 39,67

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 14

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 18
B-29 Superfortress x 116

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 7 destroyed
Ki-48 Lily: 5 destroyed
J1N1-S Irving: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1 Corsair: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
B-29 Superfortress: 1 destroyed, 12 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
153 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 16
Runway hits 162
Day Air attack on 815th USA Tank Destroyer Battalion, at 32,62

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 22

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on 815th USA Tank Destroyer Battalion, at 32,62

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49 Helen x 20

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 2

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 5000 feet
9 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 5000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 47,76

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 4
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 4 damaged

Allied Ships
TK K.R. Kingsbury

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
A large enemy convoy is approaching the Makassar Strait from the Celebes Sea.
Two small strikes escorted by a larger number of fighters fought it out with the
enemy CAP. Losses were, as always, in the 80%+ range.

Day Air attack on TF at 37,64

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 23
G4M2 Betty x 11
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 12

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 35
F6F Hellcat x 6
Spitfire VIII x 4
Kittyhawk III x 3
P-40N Warhawk x 5
P-38J Lightning x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 23 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 7 destroyed
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 12 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 6 destroyed, 4 damaged
Spitfire VIII: 1 destroyed
Kittyhawk III: 2 destroyed
P-40N Warhawk: 5 destroyed
P-38J Lightning: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CVE Barnes

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
We continue to find targets around the Northern tip of PNG!

Day Air attack on TF at 45,74

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 8
B7A Grace x 3
P1Y Frances x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
DE Lamons, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x P1Y Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 37,64

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 14
G4M2 Betty x 6
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 4

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 30
F6F Hellcat x 2
Spitfire VIII x 4
Kittyhawk III x 3
P-40N Warhawk x 5
P-38J Lightning x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 14 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 6 destroyed
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Spitfire VIII: 1 destroyed
Kittyhawk III: 3 destroyed
P-40N Warhawk: 1 damaged

Convoy Battles!

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3080
RE: Convoy Battles - Surface/Air - 8/25/2006 1:10:23 AM   
PzB74

Another one of those 'struggle turns'!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/28/44

Surface Combat

A destroyer group moved in from Balikpapan to support the convoy and a battle ensued.
Our ships were hit hard, but we fought back and in all 3 enemy destroyers have or will sink
as results of todays actions. Our own losses: 3 destroyers sunk and 1 heavily damaged light cruiser.

Night Time Surface Combat at 36,63

Japanese Ships
CL Kiso, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Naganami, Shell hits 4, on fire
DD Onami, Shell hits 6, on fire
DD Minegumo, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Hayate, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Yunagi

Allied Ships
DD Cassin Young
DD Nicholson, Shell hits 1
DD Buchanan
DD Bailey, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Gillespie
DD Hobby, Shell hits 1
DD Sampson
DD Morris
DD Roe
DD Craven
DD Fanning, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Mahan
Night Time Surface Combat at 36,63

Japanese Ships
CL Kashii, Shell hits 18
DD Yugure, Shell hits 24, and is sunk
DD Hatakaze, Shell hits 39, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD Cassin Young
DD Nicholson, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Buchanan
DD Bailey, on fire, heavy damage
DD Gillespie, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Hobby
DD Sampson
DD Morris, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Roe, Shell hits 1
DD Craven
DD Fanning, on fire
DD Mahan

Sub/ASW Attacks

Our subs are good at 3 things: Spotting, minelaying and finishing of damaged ships!

Sub attack at 33,64

Japanese Ships
SS I-34

Allied Ships
DD Fanning, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage *sinks*

Air Combat

Andy is moving in more night fighter - that is good. The AF is crammed as it is!

Night Air attack on Balikpapan , at 31,64

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 14

Allied aircraft
F6F-5N Hellcat x 6
P-61A Black Widow x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
J1N1-S Irving: 5 destroyed, 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-5N Hellcat: 1 damaged
P-61A Black Widow: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x J1N1-S Irving bombing at 2000 feet
It felt like ALL Japanese bases were bombed today, my finger got numb from clicking
through all the attacks

Day Air attack on Menado , at 39,67

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 11
B-29 Superfortress x 92

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 2 destroyed
Ki-48 Lily: 7 destroyed
J1N1-S Irving: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29 Superfortress: 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
100 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 118
Day Air attack on Amboina , at 39,73

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 3
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 2
P-38J Lightning x 3
B-25J Mitchell x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-25J Mitchell: 3 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 47
Day Air attack on Sorong , at 42,74

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 2
B-25J Mitchell x 8
PB4Y Liberator x 6
B-24J Liberator x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 1 destroyed

Runway hits 30
Day Air attack on Sorong , at 42,74

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 19

Japanese aircraft losses

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 6
Day Air attack on Hollandia , at 49,79

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Hurricane II x 10
B-24J Liberator x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-45 KAIb Nick: 1 destroyed

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 13
Day Air attack on Biak , at 46,77

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 2

Allied aircraft
P-40N Warhawk x 5
B-24J Liberator x 14

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 6 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
37 casualties reported

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 12
Day Air attack on Biak , at 46,77

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 2

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 42

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29 Superfortress: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 50

Allied aircraft
Mosquito PR.IX x 3
PB4Y Liberator x 11

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 5

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 24
P-40N Warhawk x 3
B-25J Mitchell x 97
PB4Y Liberator x 12

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
37 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 78
Day Air attack on Manokwari , at 44,75

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk I x 2
F-5C Lightning x 2
B-24J Liberator x 29

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 2

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 31

Japanese aircraft losses
L2D2 Tabby: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Japanese ground losses:
14 casualties reported

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 32

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
L2D2 Tabby: 1 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
51 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 47
Day Air attack on Woleai , at 57,72

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 2
B-24J Liberator x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 7 damaged

Runway hits 4
Day Air attack on Wewak , at 52,81

Allied aircraft
B-25J Mitchell x 34

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
33 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 47
Day Air attack on Hansa , at 53,83

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 9
F-5C Lightning x 3
PB4Y Liberator x 20
B-24J Liberator x 42

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
14 casualties reported

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 84

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 30

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 1
B-24J Liberator x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Day Air attack on 32nd NLF , at 42,68

Allied aircraft
TBM Avenger x 45

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
47 casualties reported
Our ground attack ac continued to attack the enemy ground targets even AFTER they
had moved back into Samarinda

Day Air attack on 33rd USA Division, at 31,63

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 27
Ki-49 Helen x 11

Allied aircraft
P-40N Warhawk x 41

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 19 destroyed
Ki-49 Helen: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40N Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
2 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 5000 feet
Day Air attack on 632nd USA Tank Destroyer Battalion, at 31,63

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 21

Allied aircraft
P-40N Warhawk x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y Judy: 3 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
57 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 2

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x D4Y Judy bombing at 2000 feet
Day Air attack on 632nd USA Tank Destroyer Battalion, at 31,63

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 3
Ki-49 Helen x 6

Allied aircraft
P-40N Warhawk x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 3 destroyed
Ki-49 Helen: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 5000 feet
Day Air attack on 56th Ind.Mixed/B Brigade, at 33,61

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 22
B-25J Mitchell x 3
PB4Y Liberator x 3

Allied aircraft losses
B-25J Mitchell: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Day Air attack on 24th Ind.Mixed Brigade, at 33,61

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 2
B-25J Mitchell x 5
PB4Y Liberator x 3

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Day Air attack on 8th Ind. Brigade, at 45,76

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 4
Kittyhawk I x 9
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 18
F-5C Lightning x 1
P-47D Thunderbolt x 64

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
57 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
The naval air attacks were again rather small and uncoordinated despite my best efforts.
Some 330 Jap vs 36 Allied ac were lost today. If there's only one reason to play WitP with mods...
it's A2A combat in 1944-45. It's so difficult to get even a single bomber through a 'mediocre'
force shield.

Day Air attack on TF at 36,63

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 8
G4M2 Betty x 11
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 32

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 52
F6F Hellcat x 6
Spitfire VIII x 10
Kittyhawk III x 8
P-40N Warhawk x 15
P-38J Lightning x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 8 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 11 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 26 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 1 destroyed, 15 damaged
Kittyhawk III: 1 damaged
P-40N Warhawk: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
P-38J Lightning: 4 damaged
Day Air attack on TF, near Sarmi at 48,78

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 6
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 9

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 4
Kittyhawk I x 4
Kittyhawk III x 7
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 6 destroyed
Day Air attack on TF at 36,63

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 33
G4M2 Betty x 19
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 16
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 14
Ki-48 Lily x 5

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 51
F6F Hellcat x 6
Spitfire VIII x 4
Kittyhawk III x 2
P-40N Warhawk x 4
P-38J Lightning x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 32 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 17 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 16 destroyed
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 14 destroyed
Ki-48 Lily: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 6 destroyed, 2 damaged
Spitfire VIII: 5 destroyed
Kittyhawk III: 4 destroyed
P-40N Warhawk: 2 destroyed
P-38J Lightning: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied Ships
CVE Breton
Then I witnessed another hopelessness: Kamikaze level bombers sacrificing themselves
against enemy PT boats in waves.....

Day Air attack on TF, near Tomini at 34,65

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
PT PT-475
Day Air attack on TF, near Makale at 32,67

Japanese aircraft
B7A Grace x 15

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 10
Spitfire VIII x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 15 destroyed

Allied Ships
PT PT-523
Hit rates for mediocre kamis isn't very high even against damaged ships!

Day Air attack on TF at 32,64

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
DD Hobby
Day Air attack on TF at 32,64

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
DD Hobby
Out of 22 Zekes, 2 managed to score hits on the Morris!

Day Air attack on TF at 33,64

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 22 destroyed

Allied Ships
DD Morris, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64

Japanese aircraft
B6N Jill x 9

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 15
F4U-1D Corsair x 18
Spitfire VIII x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N Jill: 9 destroyed
Enemy escort carriers also carried TBDs....

Day Air attack on TF, near Tawi Tawi at 38,60

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 21
F6F Hellcat x 3
TBM Avenger x 14

Allied aircraft losses
TBM Avenger: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Onami, on fire
CL Kiso, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage - should make it. Already in Tawi Tawi port and there's an AR there.
DD Minegumo, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x TBM Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
3 x TBM Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x TBM Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x TBM Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
More crazyness....

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 18 destroyed

Allied Ships
PT PT-478
PT PT-481
PT PT-475
Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64

Japanese aircraft
B6N Jill x 3

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 8
F4U-1D Corsair x 12
Spitfire VIII x 2
P-40N Warhawk x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N Jill: 3 destroyed

Operation Weeding out Weda

A somewhat dangerous mission has been planned for tomorrow: I will try to hurt Andy's
supply base at Weda. With hundreds of ships and ac there are ample opportunities to inflict carnage
We depend on 3 things:

1. Enemy fighters are worn out/and or busy LRCAP'ing convoys.
2. Our fighters perform the ordered sweep.
3. Our bombers take of in force, and not in dribs and drabs.

It can't be more dangerous than challenging enemy Uber CAP'ed TFs.
Perhaps Andy doesn't suspect anything 'as crazy' as this!

Can imagine the list of 'ifs' happening the other way around
Desperate situations require desperate measures

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PzB -- 8/25/2006 1:12:35 AM >

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3081
RE: Convoy Battles - Surface/Air - 8/25/2006 9:55:31 AM   
pauk

quote:

Then I witnessed another hopelessness: Kamikaze level bombers sacrificing themselves
against enemy PT boats in waves.....

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
PT PT-475
Day Air attack on TF, near Makale at 32,67

Japanese aircraft
B7A Grace x 15

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 10
Spitfire VIII x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 15 destroyed

Allied Ships
PT PT-523

Operation Weeding out Weda

A somewhat dangerous mission has been planned for tomorrow: I will try to hurt Andy's
supply base at Weda. With hundreds of ships and ac there are ample opportunities to inflict carnage
We depend on 3 things:

1. Enemy fighters are worn out/and or busy LRCAP'ing convoys.
2. Our fighters perform the ordered sweep.
3. Our bombers take of in force, and not in dribs and drabs.

It can't be more dangerous than challenging enemy Uber CAP'ed TFs.
Perhaps Andy doesn't suspect anything 'as crazy' as this!

Can imagine the list of 'ifs' happening the other way around
Desperate situations require desperate measures

Perhaps he is moving PTs to his frontier bases - to reach them PTs needs "refueling ship" AK, DD or something - could it be that is the reason why Kamis attacked PTs? Or this is game design (to attack PT flotilla?)

As for your operation, idea sounds good. But be careful - even if there is no many enemy fighers on CAP duty, radar will help (scramble) and enemy defence will be strong i suspect. Plan could work if he doesn't have lot's of fighers at the base.

But you are right, it can't be more dangerous than facing with UberCAP... so, why not?

< Message edited by pauk -- 8/25/2006 9:57:32 AM >

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3082
RE: Convoy Battles - Surface/Air - 8/25/2006 9:58:31 AM   
String

Didn't the americans disguise a few PT boats or small subchasers as CVE's to lure kamis to attack them? IIRC there was a "What is this" thread about one a while ago.

Ofcourse, this doesn't excuse such behaviour from the game engine.. but one can always imagine

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 3083
RE: Convoy Battles - Surface/Air - 8/25/2006 10:08:19 AM   
pauk

I'm just interested what is happening - it is better to learn on someone else game than in your own. I have no opinion about it. (although i think that issues like 38K kamis and uber cap can be easily fixed with new coding - how about 10-20 or whatever percent possibility that some of kamis will get through?)

(in reply to String)
Post #: 3084
Air and surface engagements! - 8/26/2006 1:34:46 PM   
PzB74

Our raid was a strategic success, although a costly one!
We are hitting the enemy, disrupting his build up and movement of troops
and supplies.

Our surface group from Soerabaja was spotted and bombed by enemy SBDs from
Balikpapan. They escaped serious damage, but I had to take a difficult decision!
Should we push on with the attack and attempt to hurt the enemy?

A compromise was reached: 2 destroyers and our 3 precious heavy cruisers turned
around while 8 destroyers headed for the hex just East of Balikpapan. The reasoning
is that Andy after having observed our ships will avoid moving to Balik for another
day.

Andy offered to withdraw his PT boats that are attracting kamikaze attacks. They're
out of fuel... I told him to be my guest PT boats should be off limit targets to
anything but strafing fighters.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/29/44

Sub/ASW Attacks

The enemy convoy is entering through the Makassar Strait!

ASW attack at 34,64

Japanese Ships
SS I-52, hits 15

Allied Ships
LST LST-457
LST LST-354
LST LST-353
LST LST-335
LST LST-275
LST LST-272
LST LST-242
AP Hunter Liggett
AP American Legion
DE Charles R. Greer
DE Gilmore
DE Fleming
DE Elden
DE Eisele
DE Duffy
DE Dionne
DD Ralph Talbot
DD Thorn
DD Stevenson
DD Kalk
Another one goes down!

Sub attack at 34,64

Japanese Ships
SS I-52

Allied Ships
DD Bailey, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
TF 1060 encounters mine field at Balikpapan (31,64)

Allied Ships
DD Bailey, and is sunk
DD Sampson
DD Buchanan
DD Hobby
Sub laid mines is a nuisance for the enemy!

TF 1023 encounters mine field at Darwin (36,84)

Allied Ships
APD Walsh
APD Hopping
APD Barr
APD Bates
APD Daniel T. Griffin
APD Newman
APD Belknap
APD Clemson
APD Noa
APD Overton
APD Stringham
APD Walter B. Cobb, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported

Japanese aircraft
H8K Emily x 7

Allied aircraft
F6F-5N Hellcat x 14
P-61A Black Widow x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
H8K Emily: 7 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-5N Hellcat: 3 damaged
P-61A Black Widow: 6 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Bailey, on fire, heavy damage
DD Craven
DD Sampson

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x H8K Emily launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
H8K Emily x 8

Allied aircraft
F6F-5N Hellcat x 14
P-61A Black Widow x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
H8K Emily: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-5N Hellcat: 4 damaged
P-61A Black Widow: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Sampson
AP Wayne, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x H8K Emily launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Air Combat

Not sure this was the sweep I ordered...most of my fighters followed
9 Frances bombers to Wasile. Results were bad, but we succeeded in
disrupting the enemy CAP before the 'big raid'!

Day Air attack on Wasile , at 41,69

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 14
N1K1-J George x 36
J2M Jack x 31
P1Y Frances x 9

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 15
F4U-1 Corsair x 17
Spitfire VIII x 3
P-38J Lightning x 34
P-47D Thunderbolt x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 8 destroyed
N1K1-J George: 33 destroyed
J2M Jack: 28 destroyed
P1Y Frances: 8 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 4 destroyed
P-38J Lightning: 4 destroyed, 4 damaged
P-47D Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
Here it goes! At a great price we hit Wasile and damage 6 destroyers, 1 sub, 1 msw
and a fleet oiler.

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 27
P1Y Frances x 18
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 31
Ki-21 Sally x 114
Ki-46-III Dinah x 5

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 11
F4U-1 Corsair x 17
Spitfire VIII x 3
P-38J Lightning x 29
P-47D Thunderbolt x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 15 destroyed
P1Y Frances: 7 destroyed, 4 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 24 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 55 destroyed, 4 damaged
Ki-46-III Dinah: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 3 damaged
F4U-1 Corsair: 2 damaged
Spitfire VIII: 2 damaged
P-38J Lightning: 19 damaged
P-47D Thunderbolt: 11 damaged
PB2Y Coronado: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
DD Irwin, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Hale, Bomb hits 1
DD Duncan, Bomb hits 1, on fire
MSW Zeal, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS Bang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Lewis Hancock, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Wadsworth, Bomb hits 1
DD Lang, Bomb hits 1
AO Kanawha, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
82 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 3
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 6000 feet
4 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 7000 feet
4 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 4000 feet
3 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 15000 feet
5 x P1Y Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 6000 feet
4 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 6000 feet
3 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 7000 feet
3 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 4000 feet
2 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
3 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 7000 feet
1 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 6000 feet
3 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 5000 feet
1 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 7000 feet
2 x P1Y Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet
1 x P1Y Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet
1 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
To my annoyance the raids were not coordinated this time either
Another lesson: Send your naval bomber in at 10-15k feet as the enemy flak is murder
in a densly packed harbor. Not a single torpedo struck home.

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 27
G4M2 Betty x 49
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 18

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 5
F4U-1 Corsair x 8
Spitfire VIII x 1
P-38J Lightning x 14
P-47D Thunderbolt x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 14 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 21 destroyed, 7 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 13 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 1 damaged
F4U-1 Corsair: 1 damaged
P-38J Lightning: 2 damaged
P-47D Thunderbolt: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Remey, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Port hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
8 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
6 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
7 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
3 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 11000 feet
Our surface combat group from Soerabaja is spotted by the enemy and a fierce air combat
takes place. Unlike the enemy CAP, our is far from a force shield. The Helldivers punches
through and dives on our heavy cruisers *oh the horror!* - but the range is 5 hexes and
they only carries 500lb bombs which cannot hurt our armored cruiesers

All our cruisers escapes with minor damage!

Day Air attack on TF at 27,66

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 13
N1K1-J George x 5
J2M Jack x 13
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 14

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 14
F4U-1D Corsair x 11
SB2C Helldiver x 12
P-47D Thunderbolt x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 8 destroyed
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed
J2M Jack: 5 destroyed
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 23 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1 Corsair: 4 destroyed
F4U-1D Corsair: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged
SB2C Helldiver: 2 destroyed, 7 damaged
P-47D Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi, Bomb hits 3
Day Air attack on TF at 27,66

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 2
J2M Jack x 4
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 2

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 59
P-40N Warhawk x 36
P-47D Thunderbolt x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 4 destroyed
J2M Jack: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 2 destroyed, 33 damaged
P-40N Warhawk: 9 destroyed, 1 damaged
P-47D Thunderbolt: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Maya, Bomb hits 3
CA Nachi, Bomb hits 3, on fire
Taking advantage of the chaos in Wasile a group of Zeke fighter bombers in kamikaze
mission plunges through the enemy CAP and scores a hit on an escort carrier!
Day Air attack on TF, near Wasile at 41,69

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zeke x 41

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 13
F4U-1 Corsair x 16
Spitfire VIII x 1
P-38J Lightning x 15
P-47D Thunderbolt x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zeke: 41 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
LCI LCI-581
CVE Ommaney Bay, Kamikaze hits 1, on fire

Air Losses

As you can see I can't afford these kinds of raids too often. Losses were prohibitive,
but I told Andy that I would repeat them just to make him queasy about placing valuable capital
ships in his forward bases.

Attached a picture of an upgraded Akitsuki destroyer: look at that AA suit - and it's still scheduled
for another upgrade in 12/44!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PzB -- 8/26/2006 1:37:18 PM >

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 3085
RE: Air and surface engagements! - 8/26/2006 1:46:52 PM   
PzB74

I'm getting good at intercepting Andy's convoys at night
Imagine my glee as our 8 destroyers surprised the huge enemy convoy and
savaged the escorts. Unfortunately we didn't hit the transports, but we're still
punishing the enemy, and that's what count now - even though it comes at a price...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/30/44

Surface Combat

Night Time Surface Combat at 32,64

Japanese Ships
DD Hamanami
DD Kiyoshimo, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Natsushio
DD Murasame, Shell hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
DD Suzukaze
DD Shinonome
DD Minazuki, Shell hits 1
DD Asagao

Allied Ships
DD Kalk, Shell hits 40, and is sunk
DD Stevenson, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Thorn, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Ralph Talbot, Shell hits 2
DE Dionne, Shell hits 5, on fire
DE Duffy
DE Eisele, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DE Elden, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DE Fleming
DE Gilmore
DE Charles R. Greer
AP President Fillmore
AP American Legion
AP Frederick Funston
AP Hunter Liggett
LST LST-28
LST LST-30
LST LST-31
LST LST-34
LST LST-38
LST LST-121
LST LST-122
LST LST-123
LST LST-171
LST LST-176
LST LST-219
LST LST-220
LST LST-224
LST LST-225
LST LST-226
LST LST-227
LST LST-240
LST LST-241
LST LST-242, Shell hits 1
LST LST-243
LST LST-244
LST LST-245
LST LST-246
LST LST-247
LST LST-248
LST LST-249
LST LST-268
LST LST-269
LST LST-270
LST LST-271
LST LST-272
LST LST-273
LST LST-274
LST LST-275
LST LST-276
LST LST-277
LST LST-335

Allied ground losses:
40 casualties reported

Air Combat

Didn't take long before Andy hit Kendari...I had moved most ac out.

Day Air attack on Kendari , at 33,71

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 58
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 1

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 13
PB4Y Liberator x 11
B-29 Superfortress x 106

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 10 destroyed, 9 damaged
H8K Emily: 1 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 7 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 1 damaged
B-29 Superfortress: 8 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
152 casualties reported

Airbase hits 14
Airbase supply hits 10
Runway hits 90
A few Betty's at Kendari didn't get the 'stand down' order...

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 8
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 6

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 11
F4U-1 Corsair x 12
Spitfire VIII x 2
P-38J Lightning x 23
P-47D Thunderbolt x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 5 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 1 damaged
F4U-1 Corsair: 1 damaged
P-38J Lightning: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 178

No Allied losses - pittiful results by 178 SuperForts?

Japanese ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Port hits 5
Port supply hits 7

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 20

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 1
B-24J Liberator x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 2 destroyed

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x B-24J Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
I had hoped our destroyers would be able to move further away from the enemy at
Balikpapan and Samarinda....but the surface battle consued too many op points and
torrents of enemy bombers streamed out to avenge their losses!

The damaged Murasame was finished of and 5 other destroyers sunk...It was a little miracle
that 2 avoided to get hit!

Day Air attack on TF at 33,63

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 33
TBM Avenger x 45
P-40N Warhawk x 12
P-47D Thunderbolt x 3

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 1 destroyed
TBM Avenger: 9 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Suzukaze, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Asagao, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Natsushio, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Minazuki
DD Kiyoshimo, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Shinonome

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 3
F4U-1 Corsair x 14
F4U-1D Corsair x 9
SB2C Helldiver x 5
P-47D Thunderbolt x 10

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Shinonome

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x SB2C Helldiver bombing at 2000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 33,64

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 28
P-40N Warhawk x 23
P-47D Thunderbolt x 6

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Murasame, Bomb hits 7, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 54
TBM Avenger x 35
P-40N Warhawk x 31
P-47D Thunderbolt x 8

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 4 damaged
TBM Avenger: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Kiyoshimo, Bomb hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
DD Minazuki
DD Asagao, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hamanami, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Shinonome

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 3
F4U-1 Corsair x 11
F4U-1D Corsair x 13
SB2C Helldiver x 3
P-47D Thunderbolt x 7

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Minazuki

Surprise!

Total surprise was achieved and the enemy escorts were pummeled and 4 of them sank!

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3086
RE: Air and surface engagements! - 8/26/2006 10:11:02 PM   
PzB74

Last day of July and we enter the last 5 months of 1944!

The Singapore region now got some 1000 AP including a 99 exp/morale division.
A ML TF is busy mining the area.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/31/44

Air Combat

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 33
P-40N Warhawk x 19
B-25J Mitchell x 90
PB4Y Liberator x 12
B-24J Liberator x 106

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
75 casualties reported

Airbase hits 17
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 195

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 158

No Allied losses

Port hits 2
Port supply hits 5
Prepared a little surprise for the B-24s over Woleai today...

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 12
J2M Jack x 9

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 1
B-24J Liberator x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 3 damaged
J2M Jack: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 5 destroyed, 4 damaged
Day Air attack on TF, near Tarakan at 33,61

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 6
F4U-1D Corsair x 2
SB2C Helldiver x 4
P-47D Thunderbolt x 7

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Hamanami, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage: may sink in Tarakan port.

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SB2C Helldiver bombing at 2000 feet

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3087
RE: Air and surface engagements! - 8/27/2006 1:19:24 AM   
PzB74

Here's an incredible story:

After being hit by 9 1000lb bombs the heavy cruiser Takao was reported scuttled.
This was not all true as it was her sister the Atago that was scuttled after being
hit by 11 1000lb bombs and a torpedo. The Takao lumbered into Tawi Tawi with 99 sys
damage, 16 fires and 75 flood. The fires were put out but the flood was not contained,
so I rushed a repair ship in from Shanghai, and this tipped the scales. The Takao has
now some 45 flooding and should make it.

Incredible but true II:

The light cruiser that was damaged in a surface action and hit by no less than 3 enemy
torpedoes also made it to Tawi Tawi and is no longer in danger of sinking

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/01/44

Air Combat

Lost some 20 transports flying supplies to Noemfoor today.
Seems like it's worth the effort though. Heavy strikes again as a 'warm up'
for another assault.

Day Air attack on Banjarmasin , at 27,64

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 13
B-25J Mitchell x 19
PB4Y Liberator x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A Grace: 2 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
38 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 4

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 7

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Beaufighter Mk 21 strafing at 100 feet

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 40
P-40N Warhawk x 16
B-25J Mitchell x 86
PB4Y Liberator x 10
B-24J Liberator x 106

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
39 casualties reported

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 12
Runway hits 118

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 165

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
19 casualties reported

Port hits 4
Port supply hits 5
Andy's 4Es are veery low on morale, still they keep coming!

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 12
J2M Jack x 8

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 1
B-24J Liberator x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 2 damaged
J2M Jack: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Day Air attack on 86th Naval Guard Unit, at 45,76

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 4
Kittyhawk I x 8
Kittyhawk III x 3
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 12
F-5C Lightning x 1

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported

Ground Combat

Despite repeated bombing and virtually nill supplies, Noemfoor holds out and repels
another shock attack with heavy losses to the enemy

Pls tell me, what does Andy say about this place in his AAR?

Ground combat at Noemfoor

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 32622 troops, 194 guns, 66 vehicles, Assault Value = 584

Defending force 20655 troops, 32 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 449

Allied max assault: 1128 - adjusted assault: 423

Japanese max defense: 343 - adjusted defense: 346

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 6)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 5

Japanese ground losses:
257 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
1431 casualties reported
Guns lost 15
Vehicles lost 4
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Ace

I have prepared a couple of surprises for Andy tomorrow:

1. 4 supply transports are arriving at Benjarmasan west of Balikpapan tomorrow.
160 of our fighters have moved in to protect the ships. There are ample support
in the base now as all the units that retreated from Balik have arrived. Hopefully
we can savage the enemy bombers and fighters.

Our top ace Warrant Officer J. Obayashi, 20 kills, in the crack F2/6th Daitai flying the 'George'
are among the defenders.

2. Enemy transports are unloading at Samarinda. I don't think there are too many fighters on CAP.
60 of our fighters will sweep the place from Tarakan before 100 bombers and 60 fighters from Brunei
will attack the ships.

Let's see what can be achieved

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PzB -- 8/27/2006 1:20:24 AM >

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3088
RE: Air and surface engagements! - 8/27/2006 2:30:49 AM   
PzB74

Just found out that no more kamikaze units are becoming available for conversion.
This is most likely because we kicked the Allies out of Zamboanga and the southernly
bases on Borneo are more than 14 hexes away from the 'trigger' bases of Saigon, Takao etc.

So we only got 7 units to conver left.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/02/44

Sub/ASW Attacks

Strange, there's always a sub in this hex

ASW attack at 36,46

Japanese Ships
PG Santo Maru
PG Eiko Maru
PC PC-13
PC PC-8
PC PC-3
DD Hinoki
DD Momi
DD Sugi

Allied Ships
SS Plaice, hits 19, on fire, heavy damage

Air Combat

Our sweep went ahead as planned: 1/5 kill ratio....
It's incredible how much better the Yanks have made the Corsair
compared to the Spit VIII!

Day Air attack on Samarinda , at 31,63

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 48
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 16

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 15
Spitfire VIII x 6
P-40N Warhawk x 10
P-47D Thunderbolt x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 37 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1D Corsair: 1 damaged
Spitfire VIII: 6 destroyed
P-40N Warhawk: 4 destroyed, 1 damaged
Then an Allied air attack hit Banjarmasin and crippled the CAP there: 1/6 kill ratio
despite fighting over our own turf with superior numbers. I had spread the defending fighters
out from high to medium altitudes. The Corsair is simply a Tie Advanced in disguise....

Day Air attack on Banjarmasin , at 27,64

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 42
N1K1-J George x 15
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 26

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 17
F4U-1D Corsair x 14
P-47D Thunderbolt x 12
B-25J Mitchell x 17
PB4Y Liberator x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 12 destroyed, 8 damaged
N1K1-J George: 7 destroyed, 2 damaged
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 17 destroyed
B7A Grace: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1 Corsair: 3 destroyed, 2 damaged
F4U-1D Corsair: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
25 casualties reported

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 14
Again, and again, and again Noemfoor is hit by huge numbers of enemy ac:

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 40
P-40N Warhawk x 21
B-25J Mitchell x 80
PB4Y Liberator x 10
B-24J Liberator x 93

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
38 casualties reported

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 171

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 143

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported

Port hits 2
Port supply hits 3
They came the same old way, and we defeated them the same old way. Hello Andy,
attention please (from his bomber crews:)

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 13
J2M Jack x 9

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 2
B-24J Liberator x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 3 destroyed, 4 damaged
Day Air attack on 8th Ind. Brigade, at 45,76

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 3
Kittyhawk I x 7
Kittyhawk III x 3
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 12
F-5C Lightning x 1

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
19 casualties reported
The SBD attacks went in rahter undisturbed after the Tie Advanceds had mopped up
our CAP:

Day Air attack on TF, near Banjarmasin at 27,64

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 9
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 3

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 27
P-40N Warhawk x 14
P-47D Thunderbolt x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 9 destroyed
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Japanese Ships
AK Syogen Maru, Bomb hits 14, on fire, heavy damage *sinks*
Ok, so far so good: A strike from Brunei comes in and most of the bombers get
through. One thing is wrong though, 2/3 of the bombers stayed HOME!! Argh, Jap raids
are almost ALWAYS FUBARED!

Day Air attack on TF, near Samarinda at 31,63

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 56
B7A Grace x 8
G4M2 Betty x 9
Ki-49 Helen x 18

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 15
Spitfire VIII x 6
P-40N Warhawk x 6
P-47D Thunderbolt x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 36 destroyed -> Tie Advanced was here!
B7A Grace: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged
G4M2 Betty: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 1 destroyed, 13 damaged
Ki-46-III Dinah: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 4 destroyed

Allied Ships
DE Gilmore
LST LST-468, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
LST LST-176
DE Duffy
AK Morgan Robertson
LST LST-275, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
LST LST-249, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK James B. Aswell
AP American Legion
When the Tie Advanced stayed home we fared better...

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 35
N1K1-J George x 3
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 15

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 9
P-40N Warhawk x 11
P-47D Thunderbolt x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 3 destroyed
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
P-40N Warhawk: 4 destroyed, 1 damaged
P-47D Thunderbolt: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AK Bisan Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x SB2C Helldiver bombing at 2000 feet
For a little while....

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 32
N1K1-J George x 3
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 6

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 5
F4U-1D Corsair x 5
SB2C Helldiver x 9
P-47D Thunderbolt x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 7 destroyed
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 3 destroyed

Japanese Ships - the escort took all the heat!
PG Chohakusan Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x SB2C Helldiver bombing at 2000 feet
A follow up strike: 32 fighters and 3!!! bombers. Someone need to take a look at the
routines for air attacks me thinks.

Day Air attack on TF, near Samarinda at 31,63

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 32
Ki-49 Helen x 3

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 13
Spitfire VIII x 6
P-40N Warhawk x 9
P-47D Thunderbolt x 6

Japanese aircraft losses: a 0/21 kill ratio...
A6M5 Zeke: 21 destroyed
Ki-49 Helen: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40N Warhawk: 1 damaged

Ground Combat

Can I smell despair? Another shock attack and more heavy losses for the Allied troops.
Most LCUs must be worn down to the bone by now.

Ground combat at Noemfoor

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 31031 troops, 153 guns, 65 vehicles, Assault Value = 456

Defending force 20057 troops, 30 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 427

Allied max assault: 638 - adjusted assault: 352

Japanese max defense: 326 - adjusted defense: 496

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 5)

Japanese ground losses:
151 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
1222 casualties reported
Guns lost 10
Vehicles lost 2
----------------------------------------------------------------

Aces 2

As you can see our top ace didn't even take off today. Perhaps that's why
he has survived 221 missions: he only takes off when the Tie Advance stays home
Only 2-3 of the pilots that took of today returned....

Even if we plan and execute missions perfectly, we're robbed for success by Corsairs
and air routines that refuse to cooperate. I understand that not many Jap players are going
to finish the stock 15 Scenario. It can be such a frustration at times that you almost climb
into the kamikaze ac yourself

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3089
RE: Air and surface engagements! - 8/27/2006 2:34:02 AM   
denisonh

How do I get the "PzB IJN Damage Control Option" as the Japs?

quote:

Here's an incredible story:

After being hit by 9 1000lb bombs the heavy cruiser Takao was reported scuttled.
This was not all true as it was her sister the Atago that was scuttled after being
hit by 11 1000lb bombs and a torpedo. The Takao lumbered into Tawi Tawi with 99 sys
damage, 16 fires and 75 flood. The fires were put out but the flood was not contained,
so I rushed a repair ship in from Shanghai, and this tipped the scales. The Takao has
now some 45 flooding and should make it.

Incredible but true II:

The light cruiser that was damaged in a surface action and hit by no less than 3 enemy
torpedoes also made it to Tawi Tawi and is no longer in danger of sinking

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 3090
Page:   <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Kamikaze During WWII Page: <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI