Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/25/2006 9:01:12 PM   
aztez

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

I'm back
Summer weather and family to attend, but should be able to do a turn today or tomorrow!

So, any advice regarding how to defend the Empire for the rest of the war?

Glad to see this continued.

Send the rest of the KB on strike againts US West Coast!

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2731
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 12:21:12 AM   
Honda

quote:

I'm back
Summer weather and family to attend, but should be able to do a turn today or tomorrow!

So, any advice regarding how to defend the Empire for the rest of the war?

You are NOT goint to belive what happened today!!!
There I am minding my own bussines, taking care of my wife, 3 week old boy, sleeping badly, crying about why Oscar is so underrepresented, thinkink to myself when in the hell will I fing enough time to start a pbem, avoiding the AAR section since you and Pauk are gone for holidays etc. etc. and I get a call from none other than Pauk. The man is away basking in the sun for 3 (let me spell it: three!) days and asks how I'm doing, how are wife and baby...and!..."is PzB back yet...he's due to return one of those days, right?" He called to tell me to give you some advice about future defensive actions. Which I will do in a moment, BTW...
So...
now that you gave Andy a bloody nose in the Marianas operation (it's still possible it was just a raid and not a full scale aborted invasion) he's likely to abstain from going for any bases out of LBA cover. With that in mind, Wake, Marcus, Marianas and Bonins can be left with their present garrisons and stripedd of any high quality aircfaft. You should be safe in that area for at least 2 months. Your attention should now be focused on a fighting withdrawal along the axis of Andy's main push. That will surely be from northern NG. Possible targets are Java, Borneo and PI. I belive you have plenty of air assets to counter any of those offensives. Don't expect victory, at least not at first. You have to make very base a very hard gain for Andy and fight for every inch. Remember, this is SRA you are fighting for so any plane lost means the lenghtening of your production back home. Sacrifice of air assets, unlike naval, is at this point neccessary to keep SRA Japanese as long as possible! Naval assets should be put in calculated danger only when it is deemed vital or can lead to a major (strategic) Allied defeat in the area of operations. The path to PI should get most attention, because it seems to offer the Allies two important things: severance of SRA-HI connection and a quick route to HI for the purpose of Superfortressing the Japanese economy.
I see only two areas which seem favourable for a strong conteroffensive aimed at destroying a sizable number of enemy troops - Java and PI. They both offer some malaria-free and inland bases which can hold a healthy amount of troops. Any such counterattack should be swift and undertaken only if a favourable result seems attainable. That's basicaly it. To top this off, I'd just like to add you should begin reinforcing Okinawa and Formosa.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2732
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 2:19:54 AM   
PzB74

Pauk, that's the man!
I've had my longest offline period for years! Still, my best vacation ever
Somehow I've lost 2-3 kg during the vacation - how in gawds name could this happen!?
Even 30 hours on a sunny beach couldn't really give me a tan though....

Visited the former top secret Soviet submarine base at Balaklava in the Crimea. Proof against nuclear bombs, pretty kewl place. Turned into a museum now.
Also got a sightseeing in Sevastopol Harbor and got a look at units of the Russian Black Sea Fleet. It was also possible to buy WWII badges, uniforms and medals in the market street in Kiev.

Well, time to get back to the war! Been thinking a bit about how to organize things from now on.
Agree with Pauk/Honda's comments: The Combined Fleet will not intervene unless a highly favorable situation arises! Still need a couple of months to get the KB
fully battle ready again. Another sortie against enemy convoys between PH and the US WC is not out of the question.

Wake, Marcus, the Bonins, Marianas and the Palaus will retain their strong garrisons. I will be satisfied if we can force Andy to take a longer route to Japan.
The Northern New Guinea is certainly on Andy's list. He will also expand his bases in Sulawesi. The US now got ample resources that can be used to complete these actions
while simultanously conducting new offensives. This will most likely mean that the Kamikazes will be activated along the historical time line. So we have to figure out how
to put them to best possible use.

After the aborted offenisve in the Marianas I think Andy will be quite impatient. He's always quite desperate to try to follow the historical time line.
Personally I expect the following bases to be invaded first:

Morotai
Menando
Kendari

These bases have large airfields and will allow LBA to support operations against Borneo, Java and the PI.
To me it looks like Timor may be ignored and Java is really an unnecessary target. Borneo would be a much more obvious target.
So I will move more troops there and strengthen aviation support to nearby bases in the area.

An invasion of Okinawa and Formosa would be ugly - but ralso very risky without LBA support. There are already 2-3 divisions in these areas, but just
to be on the safe side I will try to reinforce them over the next couple of months.

The PI will receive substantial reinforcements over the next few weeks, so I think the train has left for an easy invasion here.

It will be almost impossible to prevent Andy from capturing both smaller and larger bases in the SRA/PI. So we will fight a delaying battle and try
to inflict as many causalties on the enemy as possible. An all out defensive operation will only be carried out if a base within B-29 striking distance
of Japan is invaded.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Honda

You are NOT goint to belive what happened today!!!
There I am minding my own bussines, taking care of my wife, 3 week old boy, sleeping badly, crying about why Oscar is so underrepresented, thinkink to myself when in the hell will I fing enough time to start a pbem, avoiding the AAR section since you and Pauk are gone for holidays etc. etc. and I get a call from none other than Pauk. The man is away basking in the sun for 3 (let me spell it: three!) days and asks how I'm doing, how are wife and baby...and!..."is PzB back yet...he's due to return one of those days, right?" He called to tell me to give you some advice about future defensive actions. Which I will do in a moment, BTW...
So...
now that you gave Andy a bloody nose in the Marianas operation (it's still possible it was just a raid and not a full scale aborted invasion) he's likely to abstain from going for any bases out of LBA cover. With that in mind, Wake, Marcus, Marianas and Bonins can be left with their present garrisons and stripedd of any high quality aircfaft. You should be safe in that area for at least 2 months. Your attention should now be focused on a fighting withdrawal along the axis of Andy's main push. That will surely be from northern NG. Possible targets are Java, Borneo and PI. I belive you have plenty of air assets to counter any of those offensives. Don't expect victory, at least not at first. You have to make very base a very hard gain for Andy and fight for every inch. Remember, this is SRA you are fighting for so any plane lost means the lenghtening of your production back home. Sacrifice of air assets, unlike naval, is at this point neccessary to keep SRA Japanese as long as possible! Naval assets should be put in calculated danger only when it is deemed vital or can lead to a major (strategic) Allied defeat in the area of operations. The path to PI should get most attention, because it seems to offer the Allies two important things: severance of SRA-HI connection and a quick route to HI for the purpose of Superfortressing the Japanese economy.
I see only two areas which seem favourable for a strong conteroffensive aimed at destroying a sizable number of enemy troops - Java and PI. They both offer some malaria-free and inland bases which can hold a healthy amount of troops. Any such counterattack should be swift and undertaken only if a favourable result seems attainable. That's basicaly it. To top this off, I'd just like to add you should begin reinforcing Okinawa and Formosa.

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2733
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 12:42:46 PM   
Honda

One more thing. Disregard everything I wrote about which planes to convert to kamikaze. I did some testing and this is the deal: it's all about the plane's max bomb load. Repercussions are as follows:
1. Recons don't work. They don't even get a chance to hit since their load is 0. They do however crash in the process. So, no point in making any of them kamikaze.
2. Judy is not the best option since her max load is still insufficent to penetrate BB armour. They gain nothing by becoming kamikaze accept certain death.
3. Torpedo planes make good kamikaze.
4. The best revelation of the testing was the OscarII. It has a better max load then Judy and a few of them can seriously damage a CV. Excellent choice for kamikazes. Still, they cannot penetrate BB armour but good for crippling CVs.
5. The biggest punch is carried by Emilys but they are few in numbers as it is so I wouldn't recommend converting them.
6. The ultimate kamikaze for me is the Sally/Helen. Since they carry only bombs they aren't much of an anti-ship plaform. With their conversion to Kamikaze they become great and are the best improvement among the kamikaze conversions. Three of them sink a CV. They penetrate BB armour.
7. Okhas don't work. Don't count on them.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2734
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 1:53:10 PM   
String

The venerable IDA however packs a punch as it has a bomb load.

Edit: From my last year Kami test

Damage to ships caused was :

CVE Manila Bay - 5 Judy, 1 Jill, 6 Mary - Sunk
CVE Saginaw Bay - 1 Jill, 2 Mary - Sunk
CVE Wake Island - 4 Zeke, 1 Jill - Sunk
CVE Steamer Bay - 3 Jill - Sunk
CVE Kadashan Bay - 1 Helen, 1 Sonia, 1 Irving - 96/66/49
CV Wasp - 2 Judy, 1 Jill, 1 Irving - 78/62/49
CV Ticonderoga - 2 Judy, 3 Sonia - 70/39/49
CVE Marcus Island - 1 Jill - 64/32/30
CVE Savo Island - 3 Judy, 1 Helen - 59/36/43
CV Hancock - 2 Nick , 1 Jill - 52/55/49
CVL San Jacinto - 1 Jill, 1 Judy - 50/46/49
CLAA Flint - 1 Judy - 34/5/11
CVL Langley - 1 Judy - 31/6/33
CV Yorktown - 1 Judy, 1 Sonia - 31/4/16
CVE Tulagi - 1 Zeke - 24/10/15
CVL Cowpens - 1 Judy, 2 Sonia, 1 Zeke - 24/16/25
CV Essex - 1 Judy - 21/7/14
BB Massachusetts - 1 Jill - 7/29/6
BB Pennsylvania - 3 Mary - 1/0/2
BB South Dakota - 1 Judy - 1/0/1
BB Washington - 1 Judy, 1 Sonia - 0/0/0
CVL Cabot - 1 Nick - 5/0/0

So all in all the hit percentage of planes which actually flew were:

23 Sallies - 0 hits
26 Helens - 2 Hits - 7,6%
50 Nicks - 3 Hits - 6%
21 Sonia - 7 Hits - 33%
116 Judys - 18 Hits - 15% (more judys flying are shown in combat report as some actually didn't locate their targets and came in for a second run in the PM phase)
50 Zekes - 6 Hits - 12%
92 Jills - 11 Hits - 12% (same as with Judies)
31 Marys - 10 Hits - 33%
10 Irving - 1 Hit - 10%

Jills seemed to be most devastating with their torpedoes, I havent tried turning Emilies with their double torpedo load into Kamikazes.. I wonder what kind of effect THEY would have..

< Message edited by String -- 7/26/2006 1:58:47 PM >

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2735
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 2:49:10 PM   
Honda

Yes, that about right. It's clear that BB didn't get their armour penetrated. You need planes with bigger load for that. Sallys/Helens would've done the job. They are tougher then Jills and couse more damage. Also, too bad you didn't include Oscars in the test. They are an unlikely choice but very devastating to CVs. As far as Nicks are concerned, there are 3 variansts in the game with loads ranging from 250 to 1102. That makes a lot of difference for a kamikaze in WitP.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 2736
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 3:42:35 PM   
WhoCares

Do you plan to pull out some of your troops in the Marianas once he pushes forward along a new path or are they doomed to rot there to eternity?

Such a mission (by sea lift) will become more and more difficult the more CVs he will have loitering on the seas, so you might have to plan for it fairly early if at all. In the end there will come the time, once he seized bases in PI/Formosa/China, when you will no longer care so much about the Marianas but wont be able to safely travel there and back with big slow convoys. And air lift will only evac the troops but not guns and vehicles...

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2737
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 3:51:30 PM   
Terminus

Hmmm... Not to hi-jack your AAR, but I've been wondering: does the size of the weapons load on a kamikaze make a difference in how hard it hits?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 2738
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 5:35:18 PM   
Honda

Marianas are still too valuable to desrease the garrisons. Once Allies get an equivalent base in HI range, only then Marianas become less important.

Kamikaze:
The only thing that matters in how hard they hit is their bomb load value. That's how Oscar is 3 times better then Tony, for instance. If the value is 0, the kamikaze won't work because the game won't recognize them as a plausable threat but the planes will go on with the attack and be wasted for nothing. Planes with a value of 500 or less are pointles as kamikaze because they do damage in the range of a 250kg bomb. Only plane with a 1102 load worth converting is Oscar due to its general uselessness for anything else. Above that are TBs with 1764 bomb load and they are serious killers. The best are medium bombers with 2205 load (frances, sally, helen, G4M2 and G4M2e). They penetrate BB armour and can sink fleet CV with as less as 3 hits.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2739
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 6:54:42 PM   
Terminus

Aah... Thanks, Honda... That means my Ki-115 with 1,764 bomb load rating is going to be even nastier than I thought...

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2740
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/26/2006 7:03:45 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

One more thing. Disregard everything I wrote about which planes to convert to kamikaze. I did some testing and this is the deal: it's all about the plane's max bomb load. Repercussions are as follows:
1. Recons don't work. They don't even get a chance to hit since their load is 0. They do however crash in the process. So, no point in making any of them kamikaze.
2. Judy is not the best option since her max load is still insufficent to penetrate BB armour. They gain nothing by becoming kamikaze accept certain death.
3. Torpedo planes make good kamikaze.
4. The best revelation of the testing was the OscarII. It has a better max load then Judy and a few of them can seriously damage a CV. Excellent choice for kamikazes. Still, they cannot penetrate BB armour but good for crippling CVs.
5. The biggest punch is carried by Emilys but they are few in numbers as it is so I wouldn't recommend converting them.
6. The ultimate kamikaze for me is the Sally/Helen. Since they carry only bombs they aren't much of an anti-ship plaform. With their conversion to Kamikaze they become great and are the best improvement among the kamikaze conversions. Three of them sink a CV. They penetrate BB armour.
7. Okhas don't work. Don't count on them.

They still don't work!!!!? Man, this game was released practially stillborn. Very little worked and alot still doesn't. I hope alot of the basic mechanics get fixed...like CAP and land combat...in patches. It would be a little bit dodgy to release basic fixes in an add on pack which comes with a price tag.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2741
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/27/2006 11:12:07 AM   
Honda

They don't work from what I could see. G4M2e equiped with Okhas comes in a 48 ac sqd. When those Betties fly on attack missons they fly solo or in pair. So you have 46 or 47 planes colecting dust at you local size 4 dusty airstrip. Therefore, I divided the unit so I get 3-6 of them flying each turn. I had them attack 3 solo BBs 1-2 hexes away from home bases. Starting experiance was 40 but by the end of the testing it was in high 70s for a solid number of pilots that were flying very often. I have had at least 300 attacks made and scored no hits. I've had water rise due to a near miss almost a 100 times. To no avail. Something stinks. I wouldn't even have bothered to go through it if haven't seen near misses every so often. You could sargue that saying Okhas don't work is a wishfull thinking on my account because if it takes a 99 exp pilot to hit 1 in 10 times they might just as well be broken for the Japs since noone outside PDU will be able to train them beyond 60 in a fighting environment. Get pilot button will work nicely but other than that...Even they can can't score a hit. So, even if they work, I say Okhas are broken.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 2742
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/27/2006 4:29:38 PM   
WhoCares

quote:

Marianas are still too valuable to desrease the garrisons. Once Allies get an equivalent base in HI range, only then Marianas become less important.

So we totally agree

It's just the question if and when to consider such an operation - the later the more enemy subs and CV-TFs will make it a high-risk operation.
Fast Transport TFs with cruisers might be an option for smaller fragments, e.g. airlift the main body and pick up the remnants afterwards.

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2743
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/27/2006 4:57:16 PM   
Terminus

quote:

So, even if they work, I say Okhas are broken.

That makes 0% sense...

Are you sure you actually have enough Okhas? Their production rate is insanely low...

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2744
Back in business again! - 7/27/2006 9:57:15 PM   
PzB74

Still a bit slow over here, very warm vacation days -> lazy beer nights

This is really excellent info guys!!
I will use mostly Army bombers and Oscars as well as available torpedo bombers for Kami missions.
Zeke's will fly escort. I will ask Joe Wilkinson about the Ohka's. I think this may become a hot potato, lots of people
have been looking forward to seeing them in action. Historically they were almost useless, but it's a weapon that draws
a lot of attention. Perhaps I should try training the Ohka carrying Betty bombers to a very high level?

Regarding the Marianas:
Doubt that Andy will be back. Still, it's nice to know that our flank is secure, so I think I will leave the bulk of the troops
were they are and evacuate the smaller units by air and sea transport. These should go to Luzon to provide troops for
the many bases with high fortification levels there.

The plan is to hold up an enemy landing here long enough for the Armored Division to get into position. Same with Mindanao.
Only 3 more days until the PI reinforcement units arrive.

I've initiated the movement of several units from PNG and other bypassed bases to Borneo. Only a modest number
of transports will be used over an extended period of time.

Andy once said that he considered moving a huge fleet to Okinawa and simply 'dump' huge amounts of troops and
supplies there, but considered it too gamey. Not sure if he will change his mind after the inconclusive Marianas debacle.

I'm very satisfied with how events unfold: The Combined Fleet will now have the time it needs for R&R. In due time
it may be moved to Hong Kong or Shanghai if the SRA comes under attack. The KB will soon carry a punch again and the
Surface Fleet has the potential to destroy an enemy invasion fleet.

In the meanwhile we build as many new interceptors as possible and prepare for the onslaught

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/11/44

Air Combat

Relatively quiet: Some Betty's at Truk launch against the enemy fleets migrating West.
The CAP is quite heavy, the large number of FM-2's indicate the presence of a large CVE fleet.

Day Air attack on TF at 67,73

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 7

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 181
F6F Hellcat x 41

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 7 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 1 damaged
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 67,73

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 181
F6F Hellcat x 41

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 2 damaged
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 enemy AK's reported sunk today. Another 2 were hit on the northern tip of PNG.

Day Air attack on TF at 42,72

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 21

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 4 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Empire Strength, Bomb hits 1
AK Walter Luckenbach
DE Manlove
DD John D. Edwards
AK Samuel W. Williston, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Leslie M. Shaw

Allied ground losses:
27 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1

Tokyo Sunrise

I don't want Andy to feel that he can move with impunity - so we're arranging a little party for him

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2745
RE: Back in business again! - 7/27/2006 11:49:52 PM   
Naskra

I am guessing that you and AndyMac have a rule against Corsairs on carriers. Is this correct?

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2746
RE: Back in business again! - 7/28/2006 3:45:20 AM   
PzB74

Yes...but not the 'new type' of Corsairs that were historically carrier capable by mid 44.
So Andy will get more and more of them on his bird farms.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Naskra)
Post #: 2747
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/28/2006 9:41:14 AM   
Honda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

So, even if they work, I say Okhas are broken.

That makes 0% sense...

Are you sure you actually have enough Okhas? Their production rate is insanely low...

It was day by day testing. If I got 9 per month I'd notice 'cause I flew up to 6 sorties a day. No shortages. Perhaps 9 is a daily limit or this 9 per month figure starts on Dec'41...

PzB:
How do you plan to train G4M2e Betties? Airfield ot groud attack missions?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2748
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/29/2006 8:18:06 PM   
PzB74

I guess Betty pilots can be trained in the usual way, Ohka carriers or not? We'll see..now big deal.
Honda, why don't you ask Joe Wilkerson if he can take a look at your Ohka test results? Would be nice to
see them working properly.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/13/44

Sub/ASW Attacks

While air routines are causing massive Japanese air losses, US subs are suffering.
High exp air units have reported 10-12 hits on enemy subs over the last 2 days and
the Argonaut has been sunk. I hope to force the enemy subs away from our coasts and
let our fleets and transports pass.

ASW attack at 25,50

Japanese Ships
MSW W.14
PC Shonan Maru #17
PC Fumi Maru #3
PG Nikkai Maru
PG Nanpo Maru
PG Chosa Maru
MSW Toshi Maru #5

Allied Ships
SS Wahoo, hits

Air Combat

Todays air losses were nasty: some 185-25. Some 65 Oscars, 25 Nicks, 30 Frances,
and 40 Bettys. I wanted to hit some of the aux ships moving West - and because of clouds
this could have been achieved with a little more luck. Our targets were heavily CAP'ed though
and even Wildcats refuse to let a single bomber through.

Again my attempt to get fighters from adjacent bases to escort our bombers failed. The best I can
achieve is a strike from a single large base, and these are not strong enough to penetrate even a
'modest' enemy CAP. Will be interesting to see whether 250 Oscars on Kami missions can achieve
something.

Day Air attack on TF at 63,73

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 7

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 180
F6F Hellcat x 41

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 7 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 3 damaged
Day Air attack on TF at 38,77

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
SC SC-743

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 3

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 180
F6F Hellcat x 41

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 9
G4M2 Betty x 37
P1Y Frances x 48
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 61
Ki-45 KAIb Nick x 21

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 180
F6F Hellcat x 41

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 9 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 27 destroyed
P1Y Frances: 18 destroyed, 12 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 54 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIb Nick: 19 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 1 destroyed, 52 damaged
F6F Hellcat: 6 destroyed, 13 damaged
Day Air attack on TF at 64,73 -> This was the 2nd out of 3 TF's north of Truk and the most vulnerable target.
Two out of these three TFs got shrouded in by clouds, unfortunately this was one of them. Again, much up to chance
as it's not possible to pick targets.

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 3

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 32
Corsair IV x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 6

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 179
F6F Hellcat x 35

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 6 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 1 damaged
The smaller air strikes from PNG are still potent:

Day Air attack on TF at 41,76

Japanese aircraft
B6N Jill x 12
Ki-21 Sally x 17

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N Jill: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DE Reynolds
DE Manlove
AK Samuel F. Miller
AK Empire Strength, Bomb hits 2, on fire
DD John D. Edwards
AK Empire Hunter
DE Crouter, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
Day Air attack on TF at 65,73

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 2
P1Y Frances x 16

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 112
F6F Hellcat x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 1 destroyed
P1Y Frances: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 4 damaged
Day Air attack on TF at 65,73

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 4
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 17
Ki-45 KAIb Nick x 4

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 112
F6F Hellcat x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 12 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIb Nick: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 4 destroyed, 7 damaged

Ground Combat

Ground combat at Noemfoor

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 34407 troops, 258 guns, 78 vehicles, Assault Value = 729

Defending force 29492 troops, 190 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 546

Allied max assault: 1418 - adjusted assault: 845

Japanese max defense: 408 - adjusted defense: 1825

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 8)

Japanese ground losses:
215 casualties reported
Guns lost 11

Allied ground losses:
2559 casualties reported
Guns lost 60

The Phlippines and Borneo receives reinforcements

New reinforcements have arrived throughout the Home Islands to the PI and I've formed
several troop convoys to ferry them to the most exposed bases. See map.

There are simply too many bases and I can't defend them all in strength. So this is the plan:
1. All natural size 2 and up airfields from Java to the PI will be defended by at least a regimental
combat group and forts.
2. Smaller bases will have forts and smaller garrisons.
3. A main defensive line will be formed North-South from Formosa to Luzon and incorporated in the
Marianas - Bonin Island defensive perimeter.

There are so many bases between Karachi and Hong Kong that it's impossible to create a secure line
of defense. So while giving Andy the impression of a solid Fortress line, I will create an 'Inner Citadel'
within heavy bomber range of the Home Islands. Let the enemy invade our peripheral bases at a high
cost and only committ 100% if the 'Inner Citadel' is invaded.

Such a strategy will make it easier to know when the Combined Fleet and reserves can be committed.

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2749
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/29/2006 10:04:55 PM   
PzB74

You may have noticed that Andy tried another shock attack at Noemfoor yesterday.
Same bloody results as always....

I'm a bit tempted to send the Combined Fleet out in order to intercept the enemy
fleets in transfer - but I deemed it too risky. Still, I expect quite a few troops convoys
coming this way. Seems like the ships are going around the top of PNG and towards Oz.
A 5 hex full speed intercept by the surface fleet could cause tremendous damage. This
would mean sortying the Fleet from Tokyo to Palau.

Most of my capital ships can now receive their 06-44 upgrade in Tokyo, but I don't
want to committ them to the yards. Comments: max battle readiness before
an upgrade?

4x36 Franks have now been upgraded and some 100 are ready for combat. Together
with the George and Jacks we now got an elite air reserve. How, were and when should
this be deployed? Difficult and important questions.

I'm also tempted to conduct a heavy air strike against some Allied base. Got a lot of semi
trained navy and army bombers that could inflict quite a bit of damage on enemy ships
in port.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/14/44

Sub/ASW Attacks

Having a great number of subs is a double edged sword in WitP. Andy has placed
them in my shipping routes, but he's not moving them around in order to keep them
out of harms way. This provides my asw groups easy targets.

ASW attack at 25,50

Japanese Ships
MSW W.14
PC Shonan Maru #17
PC Fumi Maru #3
PG Nikkai Maru
PG Nanpo Maru
PG Chosa Maru
MSW Toshi Maru #5

Allied Ships
SS Wahoo, hits 6, on fire

Air Combat

Day Air attack on TF at 39,77

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Samuel W. Williston

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2750
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/30/2006 1:27:05 AM   
Honda

quote:

I guess Betty pilots can be trained in the usual way, Ohka carriers or not? We'll see..now big deal.
Honda, why don't you ask Joe Wilkerson if he can take a look at your Ohka test results? Would be nice to
see them working properly.

Sorry, but I don't have the time To do it again. I haven't kept any records of the testing - what I rememberd I wrote a few post ago. If anyone had an Okha hit it must have been a really high exp pilot (which is very wierd 'cause pilot exp is ment to be the bomber crew exp and all it does is release the bloody thing in the general vicinity of the target). That means that they are useless. I don't think you can train G4M2e by airfield attacks. If the game allows it it's a bug. I also tryed strafing with them. What happenes id they don't seem to drop the Okha (maybe they do, I really don't know) and strafe the target. But, since they have been coded to be imune to flak, they don't take any AA fire. Funny thing :)

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2751
RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! - 7/30/2006 2:18:30 AM   
PzB74

Annoying day..the Mercedes star on my car was nicked outside my parents house
Pleease let me see the suckers next time!

G4M2e's can't fly supply missions?
Need to run your tests with higher exp pilots...even though this is supposed to be of no importance
for the Ohka pilot when first released. Guess he's probably given the same exp rating as the crew.
There's only one rating for any ac, or ac/Ohka combo, right!?

Lots and lots of enemy carriers and all sorts of ships just west north west of Truk now. Andy must be
stripping the Marshalls. Time for another raid?

I'm slowly gathering my best fighters in the PI/Formosa region. Not sure were to keep them. Having
500 crack interceptors must come in handy one day.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/15/44

Air Combat

Enemy carrier strike on Woleai..unescorted. Had 50 fighters here short time ago

Day Air attack on Woleai , at 57,72

Allied aircraft
TBM Avenger x 97

Allied aircraft losses
TBM Avenger: 8 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
64 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 40
Another destroyer escort is in trouble..

Day Air attack on TF at 38,79

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
DE Manlove, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 37,81

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Francisco Coronado

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x P1Y Frances bombing at 7000 feet

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2752
B-29s hit Manila! - 7/30/2006 4:06:30 AM   
PzB74

Andy thought I had anchored my fleet in Manila...probably because there are so many transports
in the port. The damaged Ise and 3 destroyers may also have been convincing.

163 Superforts hit Manila - most bombed the docks while some laid mines. The odd 60 CAP fighters were
unable to bring down many forts. 5 were lost in A2A and 1 to flak... Some 69 were damaged though.

Damage was mediocre: the Ise was hit by 50+ 500lb bombs, but excpect from 16 sys damage and a lot of
broken secondary turrets, the ship is ok. A dozen other ships suffered moderate to heavy damage while more
were lightly hit. Non will sink.

The Ise and 3 destroyers will move to Hong Kong soon but the rest of the ships will stay were they are. Most of
my CAP fighters were over Clark Field, but I've brought Franks and Zekes to Manila. Don't think Andy will be
back anytime soon though.

This shows that I was right in pulling the Combined Fleet back and out of enemy LBA range. Formosa, Hong Kong and Okinawa
will be used as forward bases when the fleet leaves the Home Islands.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/16/44

Air Combat

Day Air attack on Manila , at 43,52

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 30
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 32

Allied aircraft
Mosquito PR.IX x 8
B-29 Superfortress x 163

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 12 destroyed, 6 damaged
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 9 destroyed, 14 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-29 Superfortress: 1 destroyed, 69 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Ise, Bomb hits 49, on fire
AP Kogyo Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Eihuku Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP Rakuto Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Delagoa Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP Tatuwa Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Midori Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AV Kamikawa Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kyokusei Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Hikade Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP Fusemi Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Kinugawa Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Nanrei Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
MLE Venice Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AP Tatuho Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Shoan Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
ML Kyosai, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Koyo Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Marsue Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP Kiyoshima Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Tasmania Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP Tatsuho Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Nichiran Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Yosyu Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP Heito Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Kasuga Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP La Plata Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AE Kashino, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Nichiren Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
80 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 18
Port hits 26
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x B-29 Superfortress bombing at 10000 feet
3 x B-29 Superfortress laying mines at 10000 feet
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damage from B-29 raid:

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2753
RE: B-29s hit Manila! - 7/30/2006 9:29:57 AM   
Nemo121

PzB,
I see that the B29s scored 85 separate bomb hits. However according to the combat report only 27 actually broke through to drop bombs. So, each B29 which broke through managed to hit ships with more than 3 of their bombs each, managed to hit 29 separate ships and still secured 59 additional hits on the port and airbase at Manilla. God help you if you hadn't managed to turn back the other 133 B29s. If the same ratios had applied the 160 B29s on bombing missions could have secured 500 separate bomb hits on ships.

Do you have any agreement limiting B29 use on naval attack missions? While one might argue both sides with respect to B29s on port attack securing this many hits they were used for such attack during the war. Using them for naval attacks though seems to give the Allies the ability to saturate any TF at sea out to the extended range of the B29s in a manner inconsistent with history.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2754
RE: B-29s hit Manila! - 7/30/2006 12:50:36 PM   
Honda

1. I know nothing will be done about a single B29 hiting 5 different ships and then taking out some port facilities.
2. I see a house rule in the making...

Does anyone know if B29s were use for anything else except strategic bombing?

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2755
RE: B-29s hit Manila! - 7/30/2006 12:53:50 PM   
PzB74

No worries
I removed the long list of attacking B-29s in the combat report. Only showed examples of ac dropping bombs/mines.
The 60 Oscars/Zekes didn't turn around a single B-29. Need the heavier interceptors for that.

Andy will not use his B-29s for anti shipping strikes...that would have been gross!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2756
RE: B-29s hit Manila! - 7/30/2006 1:09:47 PM   
aztez

quote:

1. I know nothing will be done about a single B29 hiting 5 different ships and then taking out some port facilities.
2. I see a house rule in the making...

Does anyone know if B29s were use for anything else except strategic bombing?

I don't see any problems using B29's on port/airfield/ground/city assaults. If Japanese have ships anchored on port than that is too bad.

Naval strikes are a diffrent story though.

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2757
RE: B-29s hit Manila! - 7/30/2006 1:17:37 PM   
Honda

OK, OK, not the face!

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 2758
RE: B-29s hit Manila! - 7/30/2006 1:48:47 PM   
PzB74

1-2 enemy carrier TFs are currently East of Samor!
I've ordered 3-4 transport TFs to change course. Will not sortie the fleet, but more fighters have been
moved to PI/Formosa area.

Luzon is now a fortress! Most bases got heavy forts and at least a regimental combat group. Will place a LCU
on the 2 open land areas as well. Mindanao and Formosa are not far behind. Borneo is also receiving as many
reinforcements as possible.

The Akagi is down to 10 sys damage and the Taiho is not far behind. The Shokakus and Katsuragi have repaired
at a terrible pace and are still around 50 sys. 7-8 more days and the cvl Ibuki arrives.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/17/44

Sub/ASW Attacks

The CVE in this convoy actually dropped dc on the sub!

Sub attack at 54,47

Japanese Ships
AP Buenos Aires Maru
MSW W.4
PC Sonan Maru #6
PG Shinko Maru #1
DD Hato
DD Hayabusa
PC Yashiro
CVE Otakisan Maru

Allied Ships
SS Parche

Air Combat

I'm starting to wonder whether Andy is heading towards Woleai with that big fleet of his?
Not far out now...but Woleai is a heavily defended atoll. Be my guest

Day Air attack on Woleai , at 57,72

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 2
TBM Avenger x 105

Allied aircraft losses
TBM Avenger: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
66 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 14
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 27
Day Air attack on Wake Island , at 82,63

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 20

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 2
PB4Y Liberator x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F-5C Lightning: 1 damaged
PB4Y Liberator: 1 damaged

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x PB4Y Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 36,83

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 4

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
DE Manlove, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF, near Kai Island at 39,78

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 3

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y Frances: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufighter Mk 21: 1 damaged

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2759
B-29s hit Clark Field! - 7/30/2006 4:43:07 PM   
PzB74

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/18/44

Invasions

Emirau Island is now a desolate place...a few mines left though.

TF 1030 encounters mine field at Emirau Island (60,84)

TF 1030 troops unloading over beach at Emirau Island, 60,84

Allied Ships
AK Zachary Taylor, Mine hits 1, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
144 casualties reported

Air Combat

Encouraged by the survivability of his B-29s Andy decided to hit Manila.
Some 110 CAP fighters welcome the 96 Superforts and claim 15 shot down and
another 66 damaged. The Tony was very effective and brought down most of the heavies lost today.

Ca 30 Superforts got through to bomb Clark and destroyed some 25 ac on the ground. Nothing serious.
More capable CAP fighters have been moved in. It's clear that the PI is becoming a battlezone!

Day Air attack on Clark Field , at 43,51

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 11
J1N1-S Irving x 25
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 54
Ki-61 KAIc Tony x 23

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 96

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 2 destroyed, 6 damaged
J1N1-S Irving: 19 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 14 destroyed, 21 damaged
Ki-61 KAIc Tony: 4 destroyed, 13 damaged
P1Y Frances: 2 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 3 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 9 destroyed
B6N Jill: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29 Superfortress: 13 destroyed, 66 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
4 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 16

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x B-29 Superfortress bombing at 10000 feet
8 x B-29 Superfortress bombing at 10000 feet
3 x B-29 Superfortress bombing at 10000 feet
2 x B-29 Superfortress bombing at 10000 feet
Day Air attack on Zamboanga , at 39,59

Allied aircraft
Mosquito PR.IX x 4
P-38J Lightning x 22
PB4Y Liberator x 11
B-29 Superfortress x 15

No Allied losses

Port hits 2
Port supply hits 2
The DE Manlove was reported sunk today at Darwin.

Day Air attack on TF, near Kai Island at 39,78

Japanese aircraft
P1Y Frances x 4

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 6

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
AK Asphalion, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
Not so funny...the enemy carriers moved closer to Davao and found a troop convoy
unloading a regiment at Tacloban. 2 transports are sunk. Heavy CAP moved in to cover
the rest of the convoy as it unloads today.

Day Air attack on TF, near Tacloban at 44,58

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 21
F4U-1D Corsair x 6
SB2C Helldiver x 50
TBM Avenger x 60

Allied aircraft losses
TBM Avenger: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Kaimyo Maru, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AP Keizan Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Kyo Maru #5
AP Kinjosan Maru, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Katsura Maru, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Shinko Maru, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kashi Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
MSW Hakata Maru #7, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
425 casualties reported
Guns lost 9

Ground Combat

A bit typical - the reinforcement convoy for Zamboanga is currently 1 hex north
of the place...

Ground combat at Zamboanga

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 1264 troops, 16 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 73

Defending force 805 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6

Allied max assault: 68 - adjusted assault: 11

Japanese max defense: 4 - adjusted defense: 3

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 1)

Allied forces CAPTURE Zamboanga base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
41 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zamboanga invaded by enemy paras

With no enemy invasion fleet in sight Andy launches a para drop on Zamboanga and captures the base!
I'm unsure about his intentions: has he unwittingly triggered the Kamikazes? I already got one unit ready for conversion
It's now just a question about how we should use them. First I will assemble a mighty air armada and try to erase the enemy
presence at Zamboanga. If the enemy carriers doesn't retreat it should be possible to launch powerful air attacks including Kamikazes.

Considered converting a group of Emily's first and put them on night kami attacks.
Also got a high exp Oscar II group and a 27 ac Sally group with 44 pilots and an average exp of 83.

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2760
Page:   <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: CAP brings down 200 enemy ac! Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI