Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Introduction

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Introduction Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Introduction - 8/7/2004 1:35:13 AM   
vulkansanex

Hello everyone.

Great to find the SPWAW forums alive and kicking. I gave up on further upgrates to the game at 7.2 - and didn't check into Matrix Games HQ for a year or so. I felt many brave Spwaw contributors had gone over to work with Combat Mission - I kind of followed suit - but found it a bit to slow and the maps to small to for tactics. But now, to my great surprise I was overjoyed to find an 8.2!

Anyway, I've been playing Spwaw since since the very first one - Must be almost 10years. It is the game I always return to even if I "have affairs" with other more modern wargames at times.

That was my introduction really - Below is more or less waffle about what I think of my alltime favourite wargame.

I am of Swedish nationality - the country who contributed to Spwaw with the 40mm AA gun. (Great Hanomag Buster as it is.) My favourite army to play is the US Army - Curses for removing the bazookas from my Infiltrators! Why not let the Airborne Bazookas (And MG's) Infiltrate alnong with the riflemen?? :) [Seriously: Thanks for up'ing the realism - which for me is the big important factor in the game after all.]

Having played the game for as long as I have, naturally I have my ideas about the rules and mechanics - Many of them having been perfected 100fold during the development of Matrix Games and her allies...

Two things that would make for a different but perhaps more realistic game is: (To my mind - Please don't be offended If I'm ignorant.)

1 All vehicle turning on the spot costs 1 movement point/facing change - and tanks could not swap facing (even in the opponents turn as now frequently happens when enemy is detected) if they had no movement points left at the end of the turn. However: Turreted vehicles would be allowed to move their turrets freely.

This mechanic would make enemy facing more of tactical value and ambushes more often successful rather than sucidal. Secondly it would better illustrate the differences between assault guns and turreted tanks.
[But I realise that the vehicle movement and all that goes with it is deeply imbedded in the code andgame structure and does not lend itself to such changes easily.]

2 Artillery delay is much longer and the arty does more damage. Considering how relatively few yards a tank can move in the time it takes for a commander to order his artillery to fire at a location and how many rounds must actually saturate an area to get enemy casualty even in the open - artillery does not seem to me to be as lethal as it was in WWII. ( And not nearly as lethas as was drummed into us in National Service) It's not really until you get up to the 120mm that you can start getting casualties from the enemy. If however it took time and careful planning to lay down a barrage - and massed barrages (even from 75's,81's and 105s) were effective - then I think the game would be more realistic. But now you can have an area saturated with tons of 81's - and you are as likely as to have the enemy rally as get their heads down. Is it not true that teh most casualeties in WWII was from mortar fire??

Well - If you have read all the way to down here - then I tank you for your patience. This must have been the longest introductionary post ever - sorry about that :) I'll be much more brief in future.

Cheers
vulkansanex

"The best game never made"
Post #: 1
RE: Introduction - 8/7/2004 2:03:31 AM   
vulkansanex

Come to think of it.. The Lansverk Armoured car is Swedish too :)

(in reply to vulkansanex)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Introduction Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI