Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Favorite Signature(Tag) Lines?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Favorite Signature(Tag) Lines? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favorite Signature(Tag) Lines? - 1/31/2002 10:27:00 PM   
WW2'er

Okay. While we wait for the 7.1 patch, how about a little fun?! Hopefully everyone knows that you can add a signature line in your profile for this forum. I have seen many interesting quotes and sayings that have given me a hearty laugh or chuckle. Others have really made me stop and think. However, up until today, I never found one that I liked enough to call my own. So to kick things off, here is my new signature line. "That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'" Now what are some of YOUR favorites? Where you can, please give credit to the appropriate poster! Thanks! [ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: WW2'er ]

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'
Post #: 1
- 1/31/2002 10:49:00 PM   
IKerensky

" A nicely designed sig doesnt prohibit from posting crap"

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 2
- 1/31/2002 11:30:00 PM   
ananias

"An pessimistical man thinks that all women are whores. An optimistical man HOPES that all women are whores."(Or something...) I don´t remember the persons name. Some guy in a Finnish bbs.

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 3
- 2/1/2002 1:30:00 PM   
Kuroshio Apocal

"The same goes for the Spartans. One-against-one, they are as good as anyone in the world. But when they fight in a body, they are the best of all. For though they are free men, they are not entirely free. They accept Law as their master. And they respect this master more than your subjects respect you. Whatever he commands, they do. And his command never changes: It forbids them to flee in battle, whatever the number of their foes. He requires them to stand firm -- to conquer or die."
- From Herodotus' dialogue between Demaratos and Xerxes "I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred ****heads."
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith -RECON
To catch us, you've got to be fast!
To find us, you've got to be good!
To beat us, you've got to be kidding!!! -Semper in Excreto, Solum Profundo Variat (Forever in ****, Only the Depth Varies) -Mors certa, hora incerta. (Death is certain, just the hour is unknown.) -Memento mori. (Remember you must die.) -Facimus et Frangimus... (We make and we break...)

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 4
- 2/2/2002 1:03:00 AM   
DataKing

"That which does not kill me, still hurts."

"Welcome to the human race." -Snake Pliskin

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 5
- 2/2/2002 1:43:00 AM   
m10bob

"Come back with your shields,or on them".....(Roman standing order after Julius Caesar) ..........(.I believe)..It means come back victorious or don't come back...

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 6
- 2/2/2002 5:47:00 AM   
Don Doom

Below

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 7
- 2/2/2002 6:54:00 AM   
kkb66

OK, I saw that everyone else has a TAG...so when in Rome. Here's mine.

An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 8
- 2/2/2002 7:26:00 AM   
Alby

Confucious say...Man who have hole in pocket, feel cocky all day!

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 9
- 2/2/2002 7:45:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Some of my favourite popular phrases: - You don't need a cannon to kill a fly. - When you ear the sound of a gallop think horses not zebras. - K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 10
- 2/2/2002 8:04:00 AM   
BruceAZ

"THIS WAR SUCKS." Bruce Hodgman
Semper Fi

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 11
- 2/2/2002 9:46:00 AM   
Truckeye

its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog -Woody Hayes
more appropriate to last election season: power does not lie with the people that cast the votes, true power lies in the people that count the votes. - Joseph Stalin

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 12
- 2/2/2002 9:56:00 AM   
asgrrr

My favorite line is actually my own creation... and I use it judiciously. I prefer bits from southpark to put below my posts.
Anyway, here it is: There is nothing wrong with the world...
except for all the people in it!

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 13
- 2/2/2002 10:02:00 AM   
Supervisor

I saw this on one of the other Matrix forums a while back. "In case you haven't been keeping up with current events, we just got our *** 's kicked". Bill Paxton from the movie Aliens. [ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 14
- 2/2/2002 11:26:00 AM   
Fabio Prado

"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result". - Winston Churchill. Fab

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 15
- 2/2/2002 11:48:00 AM   
tracer

The acts of a kind man follow him like a shadow till the end of his days - Confucius Saw this on a BBS, 1992 or so; still remember it.

Jim NSB

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 16
- 2/2/2002 12:48:00 PM   
degen

Mine represents the frustration that Rommel felt in North Africa and his desire to win the campaign. One of the big "what ifs" in that campaign is whether an additional panzer division would have turned the tables and opened the Suez Canal to the Germans. Rommel in this quote certainly felt that would have been that case. (Of course, the other big what if is what would have happened had the Germans taken the Malta thorn out of its side to secure the supply lines--probably a bigger factor than the addition of more troops.)

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 17
- 2/2/2002 1:06:00 PM   
scimitar

"If you want to catch a fly, don't use vinegar" (popular French-speaking expression) "If you begin something, you have to continue it until accomplished" (my father) My favourite latine one: "Unguibus et rostro"

Pour une dent toute la gueule!

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 18
- 2/2/2002 2:35:00 PM   
troopie

"Killing is our business. Business is good" SAAF, Oshakati. "Whenever a 'good faith' exception is made to a law, the way is left open to much bad faith." Aritzmendi, a 17th century Spanish soldier-pollitician. "If you can keep your head while those about you are losing theirs, you just don't understand the situation." I forget who said that. That may be original with me. "You are infantrymen. The life of an infantryman is frequently solitary, poor, nasty and brutish. And if you do not attend every word I am saying to you, it will be SHORT!" SSGT TerHorst SAA "These Are the rules of life. 1: The Best is the Enemy of Good Enough. 2: No plan was ever improved by making it more complicated. 3: No situation was ever so bad that Headquarters couldn't make it worse." Sgt. Louis DeWet SAA Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to villainy that which may be adequately explained by stupidity. troopie [ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: troopie ]

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 19
- 2/3/2002 12:21:00 AM   
rwenstrup

I visited my family's manor in Germany recently. This engraving by my family was over the manor entrance...it really struck me. My Dad fought and was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge...our family in Germany from this manor lost two of three brothers...

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 20
- 2/3/2002 9:48:00 AM   
V-man

quote:

Originally posted by troopie:
"These Are the rules of life. 1: The Best is the Enemy of Good Enough. 2: No plan was ever improved by making it more complicated. 3: No situation was ever so bad that Headquarters couldn't make it worse." Sgt. Louis DeWet SAA troopie [ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: troopie ]

There are only two Rules in War.
#1 - Good men Die.
#2 - Nobody, not even doctors, can change Rule #1.
-LTC Henry Blake, M*A*S*H 4077 V-man

"You see, in this world there's 2 kinds of people, my friend:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 21
- 2/3/2002 9:53:00 AM   
V-man

quote:

Originally posted by WW2'er:
Okay.
Now what are some of YOUR favorites? Where you can, please give credit to the appropriate poster! Thanks! [ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: WW2'er ]

The following ae all attributed to George S Patton, Jr, GENERAL, AUS. I think they are all appropriate here. There is nothing more pathetic and futile than a general who lives long enough to explain a defeat. Success in war depends on the 'golden rules of war'; speed, simplicity, and boldness. The enemy is as ignorant of the situation as are we. You are not beaten until you admit it. You don't have to hurry, you have to run like hell. War is the only place where a man lives. Do your duty as you see it, and damn the consequences. It is the unconquerable soul of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses which insures victory. Lack of orders is no excuse for inaction. Anything done vigorously is better than nothing done tardily. Aviation cannot take prisoners nor hold ground. A tank which stops to fire, gets hit. A good solution applied with vigor now is better than a perfect solution applied ten minutes later. We can conquer only by attacking. Speed and ruthless violence on the beaches is vital. There must be no hesitation in debarking. To linger on the beaches is fatal. Officers must assert themselves by example and by voice. There is no 'approved' solution to any tactical situation. There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is, "To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." In case of doubt, ATTACK! We must remember that victories are not gained solely by selfless devotion. To conquer, we must destroy our enemies. We must not only die gallantly, we must kill devastatingly. The faster and more effectively we kill, the longer we will live to enjoy the priceless fame of conquerors. Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. It is easy to die for nothing, one should die for something. The more senior the officer, the more time he has to go to the front. As long as you attack them, they cannot find the time to attack you. A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood. One continues to learn about war by practicing war. The soldier is the Army. No Army is better than it's soldiers. Never stop until you have gained the top or the grave. The world has no use for a defeated soldier and nothing too good for a victor. Never stop being ambitious. You have but one life, live it to the fullest of glory and be willing to pay any price. Genius is an immense capacity for taking pains. Always do more than is required of you. It is better to live in the limelight for a year than in the wings forever. Fame never yet found a man who waited to be found. Everything is a 'final heat'. By perseverance, and study, and eternal desire, any man can become great. Do not regard what you do only as 'preparation' for doing the same thing more fully or better at some later time. Nothing is ever done twice. There is no next time. This is of special application to war. There is but one time to win a battle or a campaign. It must be won the first time. There is but one international law; the best Army! We will have no real Army until we have universal service. In war, death is incidental; loss of time is criminal. War means fighting and fighting means killing. If a man thinks war long enough, it is bound to have a good effect on him. Punishment is not for the benefit of the sinner, it is for the salvation of his comrades. There are more tired Corps and Division commanders than there are tired Corps and Divisions. Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Men in condition do not tire. Cowardice is a disease and it must be checked before it becomes epidemic. Haste and speed are not synonymous. The true objective of armor is enemy infantry and artillery; and above all else, his supply installations and command centers. You must never halt because some other unit is stuck. If you push on, you will relieve the pressure on the adjacent unit and it will accompany you. The sole purpose of the cannon on the tank is to let the tank get into where it can use it's machine gun to kill the enemy. The unleavened bread of knowledge will sustain life, but it is dull fare unless it is leavened with the yeast of personality. To be a successful soldier, you must know history. Like wine, accounts of valor mellow with age; until Achilles dead 3000 years stands peerless. Many soldiers are led to faulty ideas of war by knowing too much about too little. War is an art and as such it is not susceptible of explanation by fixed formulae.In peace, the scholar flourishes. In war, the soldier dies. So it comes about that we view our soldiers through the eyes of scholars and attribute to them scholarly virtues. The pacifist actually refuses to defend what defends him; his country. In the final analysis this is the most basic immoral position. Throughout history wars have been lost because of armies not crossing rivers. An army is like a piece of cooked spaghetti. You can't push it, you have to pull it after you. War is simple, direct, and ruthless. It takes a simple, direct, and ruthless man to wage it. War is a killing business. You must spill the enemy's blood or they will spill yours. The greatest privilege of citizenship is to be able to freely bear arms under one's country's flag. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Go until the last shot is fired and the last drop of gasoline is gone. Then go forward on foot. The hardest thing a general has to do is to wait for the battle to start after all of the orders have been given. Americans do not surrender. Never make excuses whether or not it is your fault.If brevity is the soul of wit, then repetition is the heart of instruction. The important thing in any organization is the creation of a soul, which is based on pride, in the unit. Re-grouping is the curse of war and it is a great boon to the enemy. It may be of interest to future generals to realize that one makes plans to fit the circumstances, and does not try to create circumstances to fit plans. The only thing to do when a son of a bitch looks cross-eyed at you is to beat the hell out of him right then and there. There is nothing democratic about war. It is a straight dictatorship. The use of force to attain the end desired. As long as man exists, there will be war. The only way to avoid trouble is to have the best Army, Navy, and Air Force. V-man

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 22
- 2/3/2002 10:55:00 AM   
chief

When I was younger and flying barrier (RADAR)(DEW LINE) patrols during the Cold War my squadron had a motto, which I used as a tag line till 911. It was "Fore warned is Fore armmed". Still effective today as it was then....

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 23
- 2/3/2002 12:22:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

My favourite movies line goes more or less like this: "You must be wondering how many bullets I used: did I used six or just five? Well, I'm not going to tell that to you. So after all only one question remains in your head: "Do I feel lucky?" WELL, DO YOU? PUNK?" (Accolades to the first that gives me the correct full line and the author ) [ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: RichardTheFirst ]

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 24
- 2/3/2002 12:24:00 PM   
troopie

Then there's this Patton quote. "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man." "Never appoint 'acting' chieftains." Attila the Hun. (attributed) troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 25
- 2/4/2002 1:47:00 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

Originally posted by RichardTheFirst:
My favourite movies line goes more or less like this: "You must be wondering how many bullets I used: did I used six or just five? Well, I'm not going to tell that to you. So after all only one question remains in your head: "Do I feel lucky?" WELL, DO YOU? PUNK?" (Accolades to the first that gives me the correct full line and the author ) [ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: RichardTheFirst ]
"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?" --Harry Callahan, a.k.a. Dirty Harry author? maybe Harry Julian Fink?

Got StuG?

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 26
- 2/4/2002 2:36:00 AM   
fontenoy

Just a mild correction Velovich.One of the adages you attribute to the illustrious General Patton is not actually his."war means fighting and fighting means killing"is attributed to Nathan Bedford Forrest,the Confederate cavalry general.I have read this in several books about the Civil War.
Respectfully,
fontenoy.

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 27
- 2/4/2002 5:11:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

And the Oscar goes to... Belisarius.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 28
- 2/4/2002 5:47:00 AM   
Tomanbeg

The best I have read is Jeff Norton's. As soon as he quits using it I am going to steal it.
T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 29
- 2/4/2002 5:50:00 AM   
V-man

quote:

Originally posted by troopie:
Then there's this Patton quote. "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man." troopie
"Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man. We can bridge rivers, cross oceans, demolish mountains. What is anythign built by man compared to that?" This isn't exactly right, but that was the missing part. V-man

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Favorite Signature(Tag) Lines? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI