Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ENG units stacking!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ENG units stacking! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/10/2004 8:55:27 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I dont see it as hurting the Allies at all since they have unlimited supply. I see it as slowing the pace of a game that is already admittedly accelerated. The rule would also slow Japanese building as well.

Japan really doesn't need to build, they simply repair what they steal

Would you also want this limit to be imposed against repairs of existing facilities? Just trying to see the logic all the way through end to end.

Had enough of the "I have these so the game is broken because I can't use them" from the aircraft thread without going down the troops path and seeing it there too.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 31
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/10/2004 9:03:40 PM   
UncleBuck

If a Base has an SPS of 0 what are they going to fly out of that base with a FUlly Functional Maxed out Size 3 Field? As for Tinian, I have been to that Island, it woudln't have been hard to make those fields, with Lots of Engineers and even ferrying them over from teh larger Saipan which woudl be about a 20 minute boat ride from teh main port on Saipan. If I remember the biggest reaso teh fields were not built super fast was that they were still waiting for teh B-29 Squadrons to form up, train and start deployment. In WitP as soon as a squadron is available it is able to be put to work. In the real war, a squadron was created but it usually took a couple months to get into action. The other roblem with WitP is that we do not tend to build Extra bases. We only build up bases we want to use for a specific purpose. In the war they had smaller bases for logistical supply, and as points to distribute from. These smaller bases also acted as pickets for Radio interception and emergency way stations. We have no real back waters in WitP. There is no point in having behind the line training areas, or political reasons to take islands. We only take what wee must and want to so we can continue the fight. Why did we have bases on all of the Solomon islands? In WitP and even UV , once you have Lunga why bother with Munda or the Russell Islands? Then jump straight to Buna, and let the others wither on the vine. Same goes with Japan. WHy take all of those undefended bases in the DEI? Just take the known producers and let the others sit, till you want the easy points by using one SNLF bouncing around to all the un-occupied spots taking them all. In the WAR Japan did it because if they didn't they were a threat. The Same reason all of those littel islands were taken in 1943/44 by the allies.

UB

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 32
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/10/2004 9:09:03 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Would you also want this limit to be imposed against repairs of existing facilities? Just trying to see the logic all the way through end to end.

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

quote:

Had enough of the "I have these so the game is broken because I can't use them" from the aircraft thread without going down the troops path and seeing it there too.

Then leave it to the developers to mull it over. As mentioned, i suggested this same thing a long time ago and it may have already have been nixed. It doesn't hurt to request it's addition to the wish list.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 33
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/10/2004 9:26:12 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

"Nikademus" do you think you can mention this thread to "Kid" in order for him to add it to his famous list?

I'll mention it.

Thanks!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 34
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/10/2004 11:56:34 PM   
Damien Thorn

I like this idea of limiting the number of units that can work on a single base. If the developers have gone to the effort of making construction rates resemble actual historical rates then they probably don't want players dumping 10x the number of units in a location and building an insta-base overnight.

One woman can have a baby in nine months but nine women can't have a baby in one month.

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 35
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 12:26:28 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn

One woman can have a baby in nine months but nine women can't have a baby in one month.

heh.....i like that quote.

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 36
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 12:42:59 AM   
mjk428

This seems like a non-issue to me.

If it took 2 units 53 days to do each airstrip, is there any reason why 12 units couldn't have built 6 airstrips in 53 days?

That's the issue for me, what's the limiting factor? If it's supply, then that's already dealt with.

If this is just an attempt to stamp out "gamey" play, well anybody that puts 12 units in one spot is making themselves vulnerable. Also, they're not building anywhere else. Personally, I would rather build in 4 places than just 1.

It seems to me that more often than not, attempts to fix gamey exploits just hurt those that play it straight. I'm starting to think we need two versions (at least) of this game. One for AI players and one for PBEM players (and maybe a fantasy version for the Axis players).

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 37
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 1:27:16 AM   
mongo

I think it's fine as it is too. Once again, it's a question of supply. Yes, the USA has unlimited supply. Spoilage will take good care of a lot of that when you are trying to powerbuild. Remember too that if you are hitting a dot (0) base, you are unloading supplies at a rate snails laugh at.

"Mongo only pawn..in game of life"

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 38
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 2:04:19 AM   
Wilhammer

I have always wondered where all the longshoremen come form in UV and WiTP - you can have a base devoid of units load and unload.

If we had to worry about sending our shipping contrators and hiring locals, that could slow down sudden base in the middle of nowhere issues as well.

Post #: 39
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 2:08:28 AM   
mongo

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that the military has ignored unions and done their own unloading

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 40
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 1:08:34 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

I like this idea of limiting the number of units that can work on a single base. If the developers have gone to the effort of making construction rates resemble actual historical rates then they probably don't want players dumping 10x the number of units in a location and building an insta-base overnight.

Thanks!

quote:

Great analogy!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 41
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 1:18:12 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjk428

If it took 2 units 53 days to do each airstrip, is there any reason why 12 units couldn't have built 6 airstrips in 53 days?

That's the issue for me, what's the limiting factor? If it's supply, then that's already dealt with.

I will use this great analogy:

quote:

The Tinian and B-29's was _TOP_ priority US project and yet they put just 2 (two) ENG brigades on that place.

This is not because they could not have spared additional units - it was because there was no place there to out additional ENG guys.

Supply is also not a factor here at all. Tinian is not "dot" HEX (and there is no "dot" to be build into B-29 base on WitP map I think).

quote:

If this is just an attempt to stamp out "gamey" play, well anybody that puts 12 units in one spot is making themselves vulnerable. Also, they're not building anywhere else. Personally, I would rather build in 4 places than just 1.

It seems to me that more often than not, attempts to fix gamey exploits just hurt those that play it straight. I'm starting to think we need two versions (at least) of this game. One for AI players and one for PBEM players (and maybe a fantasy version for the Axis players).

Put dozens and dozens of ENG units together with defending INF/AAA/CD force and they are not vulnerable at all.

The real problem (just as "Nikademus" said) is WitP ability of acceleration - the things player can do in WitP is 10x faster than it was possible historically.

IMHO we _MUST_ slow the WitP game pace down and realistic building time is most certainly one of these important things (B-29 bases were death to Japan but it took months for them to be build - it didn't happen as "overnight WitP wonder")...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 42
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 1:43:13 PM   
tanjman

Leo,

Just two engineer brigades equals 8 to 12 Seabee battalions, circa 20,000 personnel including service & support troops. Thats a major work force in anyones book.

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

The Tinian and B-29's was _TOP_ priority US project and yet they put just 2 (two) ENG brigades on that place.

This is not because they could not have spared additional units - it was because there was no place there to out additional ENG guys.

Supply is also not a factor here at all. Tinian is not "dot" HEX (and there is no "dot" to be build into B-29 base on WitP map I think).

quote:

Put dozens and dozens of ENG units together with defending INF/AAA/CD force and they are not vulnerable at all.

The real problem (just as "Nikademus" said) is WitP ability of acceleration - the things player can do in WitP is 10x faster than it was possible historically.

IMHO we _MUST_ slow the WitP game pace down and realistic building time is most certainly one of these important things (B-29 bases were death to Japan but it took months for them to be build - it didn't happen as "overnight WitP wonder")...

Leo "Apollo11"

Gunner's Mate: A Boatswain's Mate with a hunting license.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 43
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 1:52:54 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: tanjman
Just two engineer brigades equals 8 to 12 Seabee battalions, circa 20,000 personnel including service & support troops. Thats a major work force in anyones book.

I though it was 10 battalions (but it doesn't matter) - thanks for info!

But that was Tinian - and that was the _TOP_ priority project for USA!!!

The player in WitP can put as many ENG units he wishes (dozens and dozens) there and instead of having to wait historical 50+ days needed for each of those huge airstrips at Tinian he can do all job in matter of few short days/weeks literally...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to tanjman)
Post #: 44
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 2:02:45 PM   
mjk428

quote:

It would be a great analogy if it was applicable but it's not at all.

quote:

I have no idea why they used the amount of Seabees that they did but they did a lot more than just build some airstrips. What they did was bigger than anything else in the world. Considering the scale, it was done pretty darn fast. However, had they chosen to put more engineers there, I don't see any reason why they couldn't have.

The scruffy island of Tinian, 80 miles north of Guam, became an important operational base for the rest of the Pacific war. A prize catch, Tinian boasted three airfields and a fourth under construction. Even before the island had been secured, aviation engineers and Seabees were hard at work constructing the huge airbases necessary for the B-29 strategic bombers.

By mid-August 1944 Tinian was secure, and American Seabees began rebuilding a captured Japanese air strip at the north end of the island in one of the largest engineering projects of WWII. Less than one year later North Field was the largest airfield in the world, with four vast 2,600 - meter runways and a total of 19,000 combat missions launched against Japan.

Tinian got a face lifting which made it one of the most important bases of the war. On this remote rock, Seabees of the Sixth Brigade built the largest airfield in the world, larger even than Mayor LaGuardia's proposed Idlewild airport at Long Island which FORTUNE magazine (April 1945) had called the "biggest in the world." The total area of Idlewild wasn't even as large as one of the two parts of the B-29 field the Seabees built. The runways at Idlewild measured at 14.5 miles. Tinian North was almost 20 miles long. Tinian West is only a fraction smaller. Width of runways at "world's biggest airport" is only 300 feet. Large enough, but Tinian's measured from 425 to 500 feet.

The Seabees did all the construction on Tinian. No Army Engineers were there, as were on many of the previous jobs which were done jointly. Battalion builders hauled, blasted and packed down enough coral to fill three times the volume of Boulder Dam-nearly 112 million cubic yards of filling. And along with the airfields came the inevitable barracks, hospitals, chowhalls, BOQs, wells, warehouses, and chapels.

Tinian is about the same size and shape as Manhattan, and when U.S. forces occupied it during the war, they laid out a system of roads with the same general plan and orientation as on Manhattan. To carry the huge quantities of bombs up from the port at San Jose, two divided highways were built across Tinian. The GIs gave the roads names like Broadway, 8th Ave., and 86th street. The main north-south road, is Broadway, and it runs parallel to the other main north-south road, 8th Avenue. The fact that Tinian has streets named after streets in New York City has no connection with the Manhattan Project.

As soon as air service groups prepared the bases for occupancy, hundreds of B-29s began arriving in October and November, ready to undertake strategic bombing operations against the Japanese home islands. An airfield was ready for the first B-29 strike on 24 November. Camps on Tinian were constructed to house 50,000 U.S. troops and 1.2 million pounds of crops were produced, all of which were consumed on the island. By August 1945, a year after construction started, Tinian was the largest airbase in the world at the time, and accommodated nearly 1000 B-29s.

(from)
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/tinian.htm

I won't argue that building time is exactly right; it probably is a bit fast. It seems to me that if the objective is to slow building then instead of stacking limits, add 10% to the build rate across the board. Although, I'd hate to see it take even longer to fortify.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 45
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 2:16:16 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

I have no idea why they used the amount of Seabees that they did but they did a lot more than just build some airstrips. What they did was bigger than anything else in the world. Considering the scale, it was done pretty darn fast. However, had they chosen to put more engineers there, I don't see any reason why they couldn't have.

You quoted the similar WWW site and similar same text as I did on page 1 of this thread (it is still there - you can se it)...

BTW, my point is still the same - they used what they could have used (i.e. it was the _TOP_ priority project after all) and that size of building area must be fixed (in our WitP terms - determined by SPS values for every HEX) and that number of units possible to be used on that fixed area is thus also fixed...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 46
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 3:47:36 PM   
mongo

*if* they slow down the build rates for engineers, I agree that it would cause a problem with fortifications. It already seems fairly slow in that regard to me. It's not like you are building the maginot line here - just a lot of bunkers and revetments.

I'm also worried that a stacking limit could have other consequences as well. What happens when you have big staging bases (like PH) with 10-20 engineer units on it? I tend to concentrate my forces for easy movement a lot and I would hate to lose this ability.

I don't know if the game could distinguish between a unit actually working, and one throwing coconuts at each other.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 47
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 4:11:03 PM   
BartM

once again I'll be the devils advocate here in reguards to "historical".

Regaurdless of what "was" there, the purpose of this game is to...

a) command your units to the best of your ability

b) try and not make the mistakes that were made (20x20 hindsight)

c) attempt a victory

notice I didn't specify a side, this applies to either the Japanees or the Allies.

if, in fact, you wish to place 12 seebee groups on one base to expand it, then elsewhere in the world you have 11 less seebees to place. (make sense ?) just because someone wishes to place all their engineers in one basket, means other areas are lacking in growth. Perhaps if you see this happening, cut the base off, make the opponant pay for such a huge expansion.

I realize what was "historical"... and my answer to this STILL remains. if you wish to play a historical game, then jun 4th, 1942, as the japaneese, you need to park your four large aircraft carriers off Midway, stand down your a/c and let the allies destroy them.

That, ... was historical....

the purpose is to change, address issues and make decisions that perhaps was unavailable at the time. We have the luxury of knowing what happened, knowing what is required to win, what we have to do to stop the opponent...

They didn't.....

put your history books away, play the game, and pray for some honest patches that need to fix the buggy game, asides from that, watch the history channel

Post #: 48
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 4:29:51 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

Hi all,

IMHO, in WitP (same as in UV) players can do various things that are ahistorical and/or were practically impossible to do in WWII...

One such thing that bothers me much is speed of building up the bases (airbase/port) and fortifications because players can stack enormous number of ENG units into one HEX and, practically, build overnight.

So... to counter that I thought of very simple but effective solution!

Leo's suggestion of how to slow building speed down by limiting ENG unit stacking

Every HEX has SPS (Standard Potential Size) limiters (for both port and airbase size).

So... let's use combined numbers of SPS (for port and airbase size) as variable to limit the number of ENG squads able to work at one HEX at same time (note that single ENG vehicle represents 5 squads)!

Since SPS anyway means size we can elegantly use it to depict room available for ENG units to work!

I am sure that proper and well balanced formula can be devised for this to reflect historical building times and capabilities.

Privisory Example

Let's say there is HEX with "dot" (i.e. it is currently undeveloped with both port and airbase size of 0).

That HEX has SPS for port of 0 (meaning that biggest port build can be 3) and SPS for airbase of 2 (meaning that biggest airbase build can be 5).

This means that our limiting variable is 0 + 2 = 2 for that HEX.

If we agree that formula (purely speculative at this point since proper formula must be thought of carefully) means 30 ENG squads per variable this means that MAX number of ENG squads able to work at that HEX is 2 x 30 = 60 and that any excess of ENG units would not speed up the building at all because there simple isn't room for them to work!

What do you think gentleman?

Matrix/2by3?

Leo "Apollo11"

I like it. Goes along the same line of thinking as the preposterousness of jamming 100,000 troops on an atoll....

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 49
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 4:39:17 PM   
Arnir

quote:

ORIGINAL: BartM

c) attempt a victory

notice I didn't specify a side, this applies to either the Japanees or the Allies.

if, in fact, you wish to place 12 seebee groups on one base to expand it, then elsewhere in the world you have 11 less seebees to place. (make sense ?) just because someone wishes to place all their engineers in one basket, means other areas are lacking in growth. Perhaps if you see this happening, cut the base off, make the opponant pay for such a huge expansion.

I realize what was "historical"... and my answer to this STILL remains. if you wish to play a historical game, then jun 4th, 1942, as the japaneese, you need to park your four large aircraft carriers off Midway, stand down your a/c and let the allies destroy them.

the purpose is to change, address issues and make decisions that perhaps was unavailable at the time. We have the luxury of knowing what happened, knowing what is required to win, what we have to do to stop the opponent...

They didn't.....

put your history books away, play the game, and pray for some honest patches that need to fix the buggy game, asides from that, watch the history channel

In general, I agree with this point of view. Even if Tinian was a top priority, one would have to prove that the US COULD not send any more engineers to speed up the process for the thesis to work. I don't know the answer to the question. Perhaps the US didn't want to stop other projects? Perhaps the timetable for the field was connected to other things? I don't know.

My concern is that if the game is tweaked every time someone complains that it did not historically happen that way, then why have the game? Just give me my money back and I'll buy documentaries.

(in reply to BartM)
Post #: 50
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 4:44:50 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arnir

quote:

ORIGINAL: BartM

c) attempt a victory

They didn't.....

In general, I agree with this point of view. Even if Tinian was a top priority, one would have to prove that the US COULD not send any more engineers to speed up the process for the thesis to work. I don't know the answer to the question. Perhaps the US didn't want to stop other projects? Perhaps the timetable for the field was connected to other things? I don't know.

My concern is that if the game is tweaked every time someone complains that it did not historically happen that way, then why have the game? Just give me my money back and I'll buy documentaries.

It stands to reason there need to be reasonable limits to such things though. The game penalizes us for having too many carriers in one TF. After a point, planes start having mid-air collisions with each other because there are too many in one locale. This is the same type of thing. After a certain point, the engineers will simply start stepping on each other's toes. There are only so many that will ever fit into a fixed space. Same thing with attempting to jam 5 divisions onto an atoll. There is always a diminishing rate of return that is usually exponential or logarithmic in nature at some point. It is just how things work in real life.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 51
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 4:47:53 PM   
Arnir

Reasonable limits are fine, no problem there. Then comes the debate over what are the reasonable limits, etc. I just don't see this as being near the top of the priority pyramid. So many other things to work on first. With some of the other abstractions in the game, this one doesn't seem too outrageous to me.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 52
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 4:59:17 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

<snip>

I just don't see this as being near the top of the priority pyramid.

<snip>

doesn't seem too outrageous to me.

<snip>

Since you bear a "Allied Fanboy" signature your comments are very understandable...

IHMO building of bases was one of the most important aspects of war in the Pacific in WWII and getting proper results here is _VERY_ important issue (building in WitP, same as it was in UV, is far too accelerated and prone to player abuse by stacking ENG units for example)...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 53
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 5:01:09 PM   
Arnir

You just want the engineers diverted to help build dreadnoughts.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 54
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 5:14:25 PM   
Top Cat

Hmm how fast in WITP can someone take Tinian from say a level 3 Airfield & Port to a Level 7 Airfield and Port? How much quicker than than 53 days can it be done in game? Anyone actually trounced the historical time?

Need to add roughly 10% a day to current rating of airfield and port to beat 53 days by a reasonable amount. Easy at 1st, but gets harder as you exceed the sites natural potential though.

To fly B-29's out you'd probably want a reasonable port to supply the hungry beasts. So I reckon you'd need to build a good port to go with the air field.

Not saying I'm against the idea, haven't experimented with uber engineer stacks myself.

Cheers
Top Cat

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 55
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 5:17:32 PM   
Black Cat

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

<snip>

I just don't see this as being near the top of the priority pyramid.

<snip>

doesn't seem too outrageous to me.

<snip>

Since you bear a "Allied Fanboy" signature your comments are very understandable...

IHMO building of bases was one of the most important aspects of war in the Pacific in WWII and getting proper results here is _VERY_ important issue (building in WitP, same as it was in UV, is far too accelerated and prone to player abuse by stacking ENG units for example)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Say Leo

If you don`t like the way Eng. units are used in the Game here`s a idea for you and your supporters.

Don`t use them that way in your AI Game OR set up a House Rule in your PBEM`s not to use them that way.

Doesn`t that solve the large problem you see....????.... OR are you just trying to screw the US Player ?????

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 56
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 5:24:57 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

I guess the issue is, is the abstraction provided by setting these base sizes at 4, which forces a much slower, more costly build after 4, for three levels, enough to mimic reality in a reasonable way. Does putting 10 ENG brigades on the base cancel that abstraction out? And could 10 ENG brigade even really FIT on that size of a base, much less work efficiently enough to result in a linear increase in output per additional unit?

(in reply to Top Cat)
Post #: 57
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 5:31:39 PM   
UncleBuck

I think they would fit on the island no problem. They are much smaller than an Inf. Brigade. I do not have access to the OOB right now but I would bet that 10 CB units would be equal to one full Inf. Battalion. I would like ot hear teh results of a test on this issue. I am at work so I can't do it. How fast coudl 10 or 12 CB battalions build Tinian to level 7 AF with say 150K in Supplies. Also what size port should they build, cause B-29's eat a great deal. 20K per plane per flight just in bombs. It has been shown that Historically 2 Engineering units built Tinian to what we would call Level 7 in 53 days. Based on the description given earlier of 6 1 mile by 1 block runways, it woudl be more of a level 9 or 10 base. But hey that is splitting hairs.

UB

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 58
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 5:36:18 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

It would be a great analogy if it was applicable but it's not at all.

quote:

The scruffy island of Tinian, 80 miles north of Guam, became an important operational base for the rest of the Pacific war. A prize catch, Tinian boasted three airfields and a fourth under construction. Even before the island had been secured, aviation engineers and Seabees were hard at work constructing the huge airbases necessary for the B-29 strategic bombers.

By mid-August 1944 Tinian was secure, and American Seabees began rebuilding a captured Japanese air strip at the north end of the island in one of the largest engineering projects of WWII. Less than one year later North Field was the largest airfield in the world, with four vast 2,600 - meter runways and a total of 19,000 combat missions launched against Japan.

Tinian got a face lifting which made it one of the most important bases of the war. On this remote rock, Seabees of the Sixth Brigade built the largest airfield in the world, larger even than Mayor LaGuardia's proposed Idlewild airport at Long Island which FORTUNE magazine (April 1945) had called the "biggest in the world." The total area of Idlewild wasn't even as large as one of the two parts of the B-29 field the Seabees built. The runways at Idlewild measured at 14.5 miles. Tinian North was almost 20 miles long. Tinian West is only a fraction smaller. Width of runways at "world's biggest airport" is only 300 feet. Large enough, but Tinian's measured from 425 to 500 feet.

The Seabees did all the construction on Tinian. No Army Engineers were there, as were on many of the previous jobs which were done jointly. Battalion builders hauled, blasted and packed down enough coral to fill three times the volume of Boulder Dam-nearly 112 million cubic yards of filling. And along with the airfields came the inevitable barracks, hospitals, chowhalls, BOQs, wells, warehouses, and chapels.

Tinian is about the same size and shape as Manhattan, and when U.S. forces occupied it during the war, they laid out a system of roads with the same general plan and orientation as on Manhattan. To carry the huge quantities of bombs up from the port at San Jose, two divided highways were built across Tinian. The GIs gave the roads names like Broadway, 8th Ave., and 86th street. The main north-south road, is Broadway, and it runs parallel to the other main north-south road, 8th Avenue. The fact that Tinian has streets named after streets in New York City has no connection with the Manhattan Project.

As soon as air service groups prepared the bases for occupancy, hundreds of B-29s began arriving in October and November, ready to undertake strategic bombing operations against the Japanese home islands. An airfield was ready for the first B-29 strike on 24 November. Camps on Tinian were constructed to house 50,000 U.S. troops and 1.2 million pounds of crops were produced, all of which were consumed on the island. By August 1945, a year after construction started, Tinian was the largest airbase in the world at the time, and accommodated nearly 1000 B-29s.

(from)
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/tinian.htm

Isn't it interesting that Guam, not Tinian, became the major Central Pacific airbase for the US after the war???

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 59
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/11/2004 5:42:19 PM   
UncleBuck

I have been privleged to visit teh Marianas and spend time boonie stomping Guam, Tinian and Saipan. Tinian is just one giant Airfield. There is not really anything else there. Saipan however had 5 differnt fields on it, and was home to the HQ for teh area. There is a small channel between Saipan and TInian. It is only about 1 mile wide. The Boat ride from Saipans main HArbor to TInian was under 45 mins. With Radio and I a sure they ran Telephone wires between teh two it shoudl have been easy to command both islands from Saipan.

Guam became the major base, due to it's superior Harbor. Also after teh War we didn't need to station bombers in teh Marinas to reach Japan since we had taken it over and had bases Much closer to Mainland Asia. They still have crews that maintain the runways on TInian as well as the facilities there. It was actually kinda boreing to stomp around Tinian, as there is not much other than teh runways. They do take up nearly the whole island.

UB

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ENG units stacking! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI