Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FoW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: FoW Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FoW - 12/30/2006 12:04:18 AM   
pad152

AI Changes

So minor changes for the AI.

1. Allow the AI Japan to invade some different places (a few random locations - Adak, Midway, etc). The AI is currently scripted in the main campaign, and always invades the same places at almost the same time each game. A little randomness would help keep the game refesh.

2. Stop the AI Allied from sending it's carriers one at a time right pass Japanese bases with heavy air support only to get sunk.

3. Stop the AI Allied from sending Tankers to strange and far away places, like right next to Japan's coast.

4. Make better use of Subs, send some on mining ops!

< Message edited by pad152 -- 12/30/2006 12:16:05 AM >

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 661
RE: FoW - 12/30/2006 1:33:39 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

AI Changes

So minor changes for the AI.

1. Allow the AI Japan to invade some different places (a few random locations - Adak, Midway, etc). The AI is currently scripted in the main campaign, and always invades the same places at almost the same time each game. A little randomness would help keep the game refesh.

2. Stop the AI Allied from sending it's carriers one at a time right pass Japanese bases with heavy air support only to get sunk.

3. Stop the AI Allied from sending Tankers to strange and far away places, like right next to Japan's coast.

4. Make better use of Subs, send some on mining ops!

I beleive your requests rather than being "minor" are actually MAJOR. But keep trying.

Flipper

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 662
RE: FoW - 12/30/2006 9:08:22 AM   
samthesham

I would like a TF to be marked as "spotted" in the TF info screen if the TF has reason to believe that it was seen in the last 24 hours. That way, you can cancel hi risk raids before things get ugly.

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 663
Wish List - Ship Damage Routines - 12/30/2006 2:05:56 PM   
wdolson

The article someone posted a few weeks ago about the damage repair efforts at Pearl Harbor got me thinking about the ship damage model.

As it is now, ships get to 99% system damage and continue to absorb damage.  If they are in port when this happens, it gets even crazier.  I can understand that ships are a bit tougher to sink in port.  Port facilities can aid in firefighting efforts and if a ship settles into the mud, it can sometimes be refloated.  For a ship to reach 99% Sys damage and continue to absorb punishment for days on end is ludicrus.

What I would like to see is if a ship is at sea and reaches 99% Sys damage, then receives more damage, it sinks.  This represents the captain realizing that his ship is a floating scrap heap and is beyond repair. 

If the ship is in port, maybe a ship could be a little tougher to sink.  Maybe 10-20% tougher, and based on port size.  A size 9 port is going to have much better damage control facilities than a size 1 port!

Add a new feature in which a ship sunk in port can be refloated.  But this can only happen in a port with repair facilities, or possibly if the ship is very small (a decent size port with no repair facilities might be able to refloat a sunk PT boat, or sub chaser, but would never be able to refloat a warship even as small as a destroyer).  I don't believe the Japanese ever repaired any of the ships sunk at Truk.  The only reason the US battleships at Pearl Harbor were returned to service was because of the repair ship yard there. 

To make the routine to check for refloating run quickly, limit this resurection of sunk ships to ports with repair facilities.  Maybe only ports with repair facilities equal to or greater than 50. 

Bill

(in reply to samthesham)
Post #: 664
RE: Wish List - Ship Damage Routines - 12/30/2006 8:34:53 PM   
Halsey

Any way to stop TF's from rerouting their movement plots because of undetected submarines.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 665
RE: Wish List - Ship Damage Routines - 1/2/2007 3:11:18 PM   
Javakamp

This has probably been mentioned before, but being able assign way points to TFs to avoid enemy bases would be very useful.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 666
RE: Wish List - Ship Damage Routines - 1/2/2007 6:38:37 PM   
Roger Neilson II

At least 100 times.......

Roger

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 667
RE: Wish List - Ship Damage Routines - 1/11/2007 7:39:59 PM   
pad152

Increase in Fog of War

I just started playing WPO and not knowing where the ememy is, really makes it a more exciting game.
Reduce spotting 65% to 70% in 1941 with slight increase for each year of the war would make it a better game!

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 668
RE: Wish List - Ship Damage Routines - 1/11/2007 7:59:18 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

You mean increase????

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 669
RE: Wish List - Ship Damage Routines - 1/13/2007 8:35:10 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Javakamp

This has probably been mentioned before, but being able assign way points to TFs to avoid enemy bases would be very useful.

Or, alternatively, being able to designate "exclusion zones", where some or all kinds of TF do not go (unless specifically ordered into a hex within the zone).

So, for example, you could designate an exclusion zones within 15 hexes (Nell/Betty torpedo bombing range) of Kwajalein, which would make it much safer to send convoys directly to the SW Pacific.

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 670
RE: Database - 1/14/2007 2:23:48 AM   
shawn118aw

Here are a few that I have been wishing they would apply for a long time now.

Tone down the Costal Gun Fire effectiveness by 1/6.  Let the player decide what hex side direction each unit will defend.  Also, once a landing force in ashore then the STATIC costal guns are considered eliminated.

On the Ship and Task Force display next to the speed #, show the fuel loads in % remaining just like the Air Strike, Guns, AAA, and ASW % percentages.  I never know when a ship is fully loaded without a chart.

On the Task Force display add and ETA (what day of arrival) to the destination.

On the Task Force display add a NOTE pad for players to type in notes for that TF, I lose track for what I want them to do or load—only say 80 spaces for data.

Allow the player the option to turn off the options on the Task Force Display (master), i.e. the Retirement Allowed, Unload on arrival, ECT.

Add a list that show when a Task Force as arrive at it destination and is awaiting order, this is for a TF does not get lost in the crowed and just sits around for a week.

Allow the player to set a day of arrival for a Task Force at a location.

Add a button to allow the player to direct that a Task Force either Bombard or Land at night.

Add a button to give the player the option to turn OFF the Political Points limitations.

Add a button to give the players in Surface Combat the options to either Withdraw or stand and fight no matter what.

Can you set the screen to a larger font (or hive me the option…PLEASE?)

Replacements, no auto replacements just showing up thousand of miles away.  Aircraft only show up in the US or Japan the same as ships.  As for ground forces, when ever the parent unit request replacements, then each county would produce them and these would show up in the US and Japan like units that are divided and then they have to be shipped.

Have a stacking value for each hex for ground units. 

Allow aircraft to target enemy Task Forces, individual ground units, and supply depots.

Allow naval bombardment Units to target individual ground units, airbase, ports, or supply depots.

Have a report for button for Resources and location, Oil and location, naval repair location and capability.

On the ship losses table, include a summary number and date the ship was sunk.

Allow Task Forces to have multiple stops and actions as an option

Have a separate and detailed report for ordered RECON missions; these reports are like Combat Report.

Add Drop off and Pick Up Resources in the Auto Convoy actions.

Allow the player to build their own Auto Convoy routes to and from locations.

Add the option to each Task Force to load supplies on a 10% increment level from a base, i.e. for a 7000 tons cargo ship and I only want to load 700 tons (i.e. 10% steps, just like the air commitment levels)

Allow the Japanese Player to build what every type of Ground unit I need; I have enough base forces for allow me to convert units to other units.

Allow the Japanese Player to determine what type and increase the number of pilots that I need.

And finally, allow the player the options to pick up ALL the supplies at a base if I want to.  Let me determine what and where the supply goes.

Just a few items for the wish list that I would like to see.  Most all of these items I have submitted several times since Version 1.2 came out, but nothing yet. 

(in reply to ATCSMike)
Post #: 671
RE: Database - 1/14/2007 2:36:24 AM   
invernomuto

quote:

Can you set the screen to a larger font (or hive me the option…PLEASE?)

open WITP with -altfont option (you have to edit the shortcut)

Hope it helps

Bye

(in reply to shawn118aw)
Post #: 672
RE: Database - 1/14/2007 5:09:08 AM   
shawn118aw

I'm not sure how to do that (help), please explain.

Shawn

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 673
RE: Database - 1/14/2007 12:55:44 PM   
invernomuto

Very difficult for me to explain that in english but let's try.

You should have on your desktop a shortcut to WITP (create one if you do not have it, it should point to WITP.exe). Click on it with right mouse button --> Properties. On the properties screen look at the "Destination" field. You should have the folder in which WITP.exe is installed, something like "D:\Games\Matrix\War in the pacific\War in the Pacific.exe". Simply add to the end of this text the option -altFont. Try also -wd to have WITP running in a window. You should have something like:
"D:\Games\Matrix\War in the pacific\War in the Pacific.exe" -altFont -wd . Note that the option must be outside the ""

Bye

(in reply to shawn118aw)
Post #: 674
RE: Database - 1/16/2007 5:06:54 AM   
shawn118aw

It worked, thank you...

Post #: 675
tf grouping feature - 1/19/2007 5:18:50 AM   
scout1

would be nice to group tf's into a larger entity that will travel together. follow tf command now for multiple tf's can string the various tf's out within a few days time for less than obvious reasons.

(in reply to shawn118aw)
Post #: 676
RE: tf grouping feature - 1/30/2007 6:57:32 AM   
GaryChildress

This is no doubt a request for WitP II, but I wish there were a way in the database editor to make units upgrade their formations. For instance a US Division with a 1942 TO&E should be able to upgrade to a 1943 or 1944 TO&E. This could be done by putting an "upgrade" option next to where the formation number is.

Also, if only someone could make the "set all formations" button work in the database editor! That would be unbelievably fantastic!

Thanks,

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 677
RE: FoW - 2/1/2007 4:41:01 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Ship class filters on the 'transfer ship to TF' screen. Stacking limits for ships in port and limits on how many ships can load/unload/refuel etc. at the same time depending on port size. Control of flow of suplies, ability to turn off base repairs. Airfield capacity calculated by number of engines, not number of planes (1 size = 50 fighters or 25 2-mots or 12 4-mots) More FOW - no air / ship / land or even base icons shown unless intel gathered by recon, patrol, coastwatchers or own forces entering hex - reports on mine hits, base construction/expansion etc. available to enemy only on a limited basis.   Increase fatigue, ops losses, supply requirements and decrease replacements and repair rate of 4-engines bombers, or do something else that prevents Allies to launch unhistorically big bomber raids early in the war (my opponent operates four groups of 120+ heavy bombers each, one each from Rabaul, Luganville, Rangoon and Changsha in July 1942. All my air and naval ops in range are severly hampered since no airfield or ship in port survives very long - yes, ahistorical moves = ahistorical results, but too much is too much...).  
Do not allow replenishment of ammo / fuel in ports if no naval base force present.  

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 678
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/1/2007 3:10:30 PM   
HansenII

Hi there!

I would like to add some features to the Wish Lists:

A Category: Sub mangement

It would be nice to be able to define a patrol area for the subs, i.e. by setting 2 or more "waypoints" between which they patrol. As to my experience, the level of attacks and thus hit scored by subs does increase considerably when they are constantly underway. It is a nuisance to micromanage this....
It would be fine to be able to do this also with surface combat task forces, ASW etc.

B Category: Fast transport management

Dual Mission: bringing supplies or fresh troops to a destination and taking away (i.e.) exhausted troops. This comes in handy especially for besieged areas, such as Singapore etc.

C Category: Air Transport Management

as above, but just for air transports...

D Category: Air combat management

1. Setting priority targets,
especially for naval & port attacks. If I think of all those good 500 ibs bombs being wasted on the armour of some super battleship with nice, soft-skinned tincans right next to them being left unmolested.....
2. Ordonance selection for aircrafts
3. Ordonance stowage limit on carriers
4. Sector designation for increased patrolling of patrol & ASW aircraft or sending armed rec missions (see 5.)
5. Additional mission: armed reconnaisance (seek & destroy...)

E Category: Surface to Surface action:

Enable Intercepts of enemy task forces, i.e. depending on rec itensity (heading, speed, ship type...), this would add tremendously to interesting encounters and would add to realism...

F Category: Mine warfare:

I am not sure about the minelaying capabilities of Jap and US surface combatants, but in the european theater the Italian & German destroyers & torpedo boats, even E-boats (=PT-Boats) were extensivly used as Minelayers.

G Category: Transports:

Dual missions, i.e. bringing supply to and getting ressources of a certain point (return load to save a lot of micromanagement..

I am quite sure that I'll find other things later.

Regards to all from Berlin

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 679
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/1/2007 3:25:28 PM   
Sonny II

One I may have mentioned before:

Have ASW assets react to sub spottings the way aircraft (on naval attack) react to TFs. Use the react range to limit the distance they can go from home port.

For example, set a 4 PC ASW TF at a port and set the react range to, say, 4 and if a sub is spotted within a 4 hex range the ASW TF goes after it. Some TF commander decisions as to which sub to attack would be necessary if more than one sub was spotted within the react range.

You could manually direct your ASW TF just as you do now by keeping the react range at zero.

(in reply to HansenII)
Post #: 680
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/1/2007 3:53:51 PM   
Javakamp

Filters on the Commander select screen - Air / Surface / Invasion / ect.

Display and sort other ratings on Commanders select screen

Ability to designate sub bases.

Filters on TF select screen including overdue for refit.

Available date(in addattion to number of days) on Availablity screens.

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 681
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/2/2007 9:58:10 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansenII

*snip*
D Category: Air combat management

1. Setting priority targets,
especially for naval & port attacks. If I think of all those good 500 ibs bombs being wasted on the armour of some super battleship with nice, soft-skinned tincans right next to them being left unmolested.....
*snip*

Or at least, let bombers ignore all those ships that they think they cannot damage - i.e. bombers with 500lb/250kg bombs ignore BBs, those with 250lb or 100kg bombs ignore BBs and CAs.

(in reply to HansenII)
Post #: 682
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/4/2007 10:46:49 AM   
Adronson

Just recently bought my copy of WiTP. What a delight. I was an avid PacWar player in the 1990's -- it almost cost me my PhD. It's good to see this reincarnation of an old favorite.

I see there is discussion of a WiTP2, so I'll get a couple of suggestions in right now, even though I'm new to the game.

1. I miss the PacWar LCU icons. PacWar used different color combination to designate nationalities and services. I miss that. Fighting in SE Asia, a quick glance at the screen would show Commonwealth, Malaysian, Indian, Aussie, Chinese sometimes all in the same hex. Gave greater sense of individuality to the units and reinforced historical sense of the alliance. Same in the Philippines. All over the Pacific slightly different shades of green separated US Army and Marines. In WiTP the ships and aircraft have great artwork which, it appears, can be easily modified. But the LCU's all run together and I have to bend way into the screen to see what they are. Which brings me to...

2. At 54, I guess I'm getting old. Or at least parts of me are getting old. High and variable resolution is just about mandatory these days when using LCD screens. I’ve got a new 20” Samsung, but it seems you’ve got to run these things in native resolution to be able to easily read small text. Even with the “-altFont” switch on (and that helps a lot) I grow weary bending over peering into the screen trying to read the text. I’m not sure I can hold up during the year or two it will take me to finish a full campaign. Improved graphic resolution would be a blessing.

But what a package this is! Thanks to all the team and also to all the players who have helped out.

< Message edited by Adronson -- 2/4/2007 10:59:42 AM >

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 683
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/5/2007 3:09:14 AM   
bradfordkay

It's a little thing, but I've always thought that the game should process each phase (nighttime, daytime naval, am air, pm air, and ground movement/combat from east to west, just as the local time progresses. A nighttime sub attack off pearl harbor will happen well before another nighttime sub attack that occurs off rangoon.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Adronson)
Post #: 684
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/11/2007 3:06:33 AM   
Dunedain

My feature request for WitP 2 is to model torpedo defense systems (anti-torpedo blisters on the sides of ships) on ships that have them.  If a torpedo, whether launched from a ship or an airplane, is found to have scored a hit on a ship that has anti-torpedo blisters, then a check must first be made to see if the torpedo is defeated by the blister.  If the blister does stop the torpedo, then the ship takes no damage from the torpedo hit.

Different ships with anti-torpedo blisters obviously have different levels of protection, and this would be taken into account when assigning a ship a "torpedo defense rating".  Some would be better at stopping torpedoes than others, and the power of different types of torpedoes would be taken into account when the torpedo defense check is made on a particular ship.  The Bismarck, for example, has a particularly excellent torpedo defense system.  Which took one or more torpedo hits from British warships, but none of them penetrated the armor belt (which was verified by direct underwater visual examination of the perfectly intact heavy armor inside the anti-torpedo blister directly where a torpedo blast hole was found on the outer anti-torpedo blister).  And the interior of the ship was unaffected by the torpedo hit(s).

These torpedo defense systems would have a major impact on many naval engagements, and thus it's important to include this simple and yet vital check on any torpedo hits before any potential ship damage is calculated.  Thanks for considering this feature for WitP 2!  :)

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 685
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/14/2007 7:51:45 PM   
KDonovan

i want the ability to build/improve trails, roads, railroads with construction btn's

(in reply to Dunedain)
Post #: 686
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/17/2007 9:32:48 PM   
SireChaos

I would like very much to be able to see the flak strength of the LCUs in a base somewhere in the base info screen. Maybe also approximate values for enemy bases when doing a mouse-over.

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 687
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/19/2007 6:48:30 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

I would like very much to be able to see the flak strength of the LCUs in a base somewhere in the base info screen. Maybe also approximate values for enemy bases when doing a mouse-over.

I would like to see better AA effectiveness. As Japanese, having an AA units or not in a base is quite the same. Bombers (expecially 4E bombers) have so little penalities that you could easily ignore them.

Bye

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 688
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/20/2007 10:09:28 AM   
samthesham

I would like a "notepad" function within the game, so that I can write notes to myself to be used in future turns. It would really be useful not jot down the location of TF's, etc.

Post #: 689
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/28/2007 3:11:10 AM   
marky

target priority list for subs!

(in reply to samthesham)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: FoW Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI