Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

newbie map editing question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> newbie map editing question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
newbie map editing question - 2/8/2002 2:22:00 AM   
campekenobi

Ok, I built a map/scenario using SPWAW editor... only to find that trucks drive OVER my big military houses w/out any effect (like they don't exist).... any idea why? And finally, the default flags (victory points) are lined up nicely on the left side of the map... how can I REMOVE them? thanks

Post #: 1
- 2/8/2002 3:05:00 AM   
bchapman

Hey Sniper, Wild Bill has a real nice map and scenerio tutorial and it's posted here:Armor Site
About a third of the way down the page there it is: Scenerio Tutorials: By Wild Bill Wilder

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

(in reply to campekenobi)
Post #: 2
- 2/8/2002 3:09:00 AM   
campekenobi

Yeah, I've seen Fred Chlanda's one (that's the one on Wild Bill's site), it's NOT user-friendly... I want click & drag action like the one that came with the game... I'm curious how people make complex maps... that program seems impossible.

Post #: 3
- 2/8/2002 3:18:00 AM   
bchapman

Sniper, This is a downloadable file with Wild Bill walking you thru how to make a map, with different terrains, roads, etc. Then how to make a scenerio using way points, v-hexs, retreat hexes the whole works using the SPWAW editor and map editor. There are 10 parts I think. There are also some tips from other designers. This is not Freds editor!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

Post #: 4
- 2/8/2002 3:22:00 AM   
campekenobi

quote:

Originally posted by bchapman:
Sniper, This is a downloadable file with Wild Bill walking you thru how to make a map, with different terrains, roads, etc. Then how to make a scenerio using way points, v-hexs, retreat hexes the whole works using the SPWAW editor and map editor. There are 10 parts I think. There are also some tips from other designers. This is not Freds editor!
ooooooh.... my bad, I'll check it out, (I just did a word search on that web page for "editor" & the ones by Fred are the only ones that came up)... I'll have to read more thoroughly. Thanks.

Post #: 5
- 2/8/2002 3:28:00 AM   
campekenobi

Actually, His steps are nice & very clear, but still don't explain how to get FOREIGN objects, .i.e objects edited outside of the program, such as guard towers etc. Don't those things need to be CREATED in some "SHP" or image editing program? I have photoshop, but it doesn't read any of the files that came w/ the game...

Post #: 6
- 2/8/2002 3:42:00 AM   
bchapman

The Scenerio Tutorial should help with your orginal question about the trucks running amok and the victory hexes. Maybe one of the guys out there will see this and respond to your question about the SHP editing. I'm not familar with this procedure Wish the search function was working and then you could look up some of the previous posts about this. Sounds like you are having a blast test driving this thing.

Post #: 7
- 2/8/2002 3:48:00 AM   
richmonder

special graphics have to be created in .shp files. Fred Chlandra's SHP file editor is what you need to use to convert the .shps to .bmps and then alter them yourself, or just flatout create new .bmps in Photoshop then use Fred's editor to convert them to .shps and install them in graphics files in the SHP folder. You'll have to do research on that in the 'Chlandra' subdirectory and then talk to Rockin' Harry here on the forums about special graphics. There are a load of people interested in that stuff.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 8
- 2/8/2002 4:18:00 AM   
campekenobi

quote:

Originally posted by richmonder:
special graphics have to be created in .shp files. Fred Chlandra's SHP file editor is what you need to use to convert the .shps to .bmps and then alter them yourself, or just flatout create new .bmps in Photoshop then use Fred's editor to convert them to .shps and install them in graphics files in the SHP folder. You'll have to do research on that in the 'Chlandra' subdirectory and then talk to Rockin' Harry here on the forums about special graphics. There are a load of people interested in that stuff.
Thanks Rich, I actually tried that too & it wouldn't load the SPWAW shp files for some reason... I'll keep looking, thanks.

Post #: 9
- 2/8/2002 5:44:00 AM   
Wild Bill

hey Sniper, Not quite sure I understand what you are trying to do here. If you are working with what the map editor provides you, you don't need Chlanda's program. You can do a lot within the editor itself. It does not come all at once. Trial and error are the best teachers. I recommend that you first just dabble with it, nothing that you would want to save, just scribble some maps. See what each button offers. Then take that knowledge and work on your scenario map. Objectives are edited by clicking on the double flag icon about 2/3 of the way down on the left. A new window will open. This lets you place, value and set any other special features for each of the 21 objective flags. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 10
- 2/8/2002 5:46:00 AM   
Don Doom

quote:

Originally posted by Sniper-for-hire:
Thanks Rich, I actually tried that too & it wouldn't load the SPWAW shp files for some reason... I'll keep looking, thanks.

Go here Sniper-for-hire:
http://www.militarygameronline.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=69 This is where Rockinharry & I go to get and give answers on freds programs and spwaw editors, and you will most likly find what you are looking for there.
See ya there. [ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Don Doom ]

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> newbie map editing question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI