Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Paratrooper Problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Paratrooper Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 5:35:52 AM   
Xargun

OK. I used my paratroopers to capture Lingayen base on turn one and now cannot move all of the unit back to its base. The planes have moved everything except some 45 mm AT Guns... What I don't understand is if they arrived via airlift (paradrop) why can't they go back the same way ?

Xargun
Post #: 1
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 6:44:07 AM   
rogueusmc

Good question...same type of plane both ways?

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 2
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 8:16:28 AM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

Good question...same type of plane both ways?

Yep the good old piece of crap Topsy

Xargun

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 8:24:22 AM   
freeboy

I have dropped para in a game but never tried to move them afterwards... strange... I have also airlifted them and then dropped them, is it one of those times that the air planes just don't want too?

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 4
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 8:24:40 AM   
Duderonomy

"Automatic upgrade". The computer very helpfully decides that the start TOE, which includes 37mm, is no good. So it upgrades (read: replaces) them with 47mm. The 47mm is to large to be transported by air. No AT for you!

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 5
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 4:34:01 PM   
Deathifier

In UV I had trouble getting back a few of those Pack Howitzers allied paratroopers use, I think it was a bug (since the majority flew out).

The only trouble I've had so far is moving engineering vehicles.
C-47's will try their heart out to pickup those 4 engineering vehicles a few hexes away but never seem to figure out how to put them in the aircraft :)

But yes, check the load costs of the units involved, with the fancy-pants upgrade system (which will happily replace old CD guns with shiny new immobile ones on passing transports) you can never be sure when it will decide to update your units.

- Deathifier

(in reply to Duderonomy)
Post #: 6
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 5:47:07 PM   
irishman

The 47mm AT gun can be moved and airdropped but I think only one Japanese plane can do it (can't remember which one but its the one with the biggest load capacity). As for bringing paratroopers back, I think the problem comes with picking them up in size 1 airfields. You need to rebase your transports in Lingayen and move them as 'troop transport'.

The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory - Cicero

(in reply to Deathifier)
Post #: 7
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 8:22:21 PM   
Duderonomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: irishman

The 47mm AT gun can be moved and airdropped but I think only one Japanese plane can do it (can't remember which one but its the one with the biggest load capacity). As for bringing paratroopers back, I think the problem comes with picking them up in size 1 airfields. You need to rebase your transports in Lingayen and move them as 'troop transport'.

Rulebook page 116:

"Only items in a ground unit with a load cost of less than than 7 may be transported by air . . ."

37mmAT= Load cost 5
47mmAT= Load cost 7

So, the 47mmAT cannot be transported by air. Still no AT for you!

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 8
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 9:42:53 PM   
Xargun

quote:

I did. I have a chutai of Topsies at Lingayen doing standard troop transport back to a friendly base but it won't take the 47mm AT guns... If they cannot be transported via air, then how did they get there ? I don't think the computer will automatically upgrade units at a base with not much supply... Or will it ?

Xargun

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 9
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/21/2004 10:10:39 PM   
irishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duderonomy

quote:

Rulebook page 116:

"Only items in a ground unit with a load cost of less than than 7 may be transported by air . . ."

37mmAT= Load cost 5
47mmAT= Load cost 7

So, the 47mmAT cannot be transported by air. Still no AT for you!

The 47mm and 37mm AT guns have given me a lot of problems. Sometimes they drop, sometimes they don't. But I have definitely dropped the 47mm successfully. I think it was the first para that worked but 1st and 3rd SNLF refused. The drop was on Bataan and the 47mm definitely was sent.

(in reply to Duderonomy)
Post #: 10
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/22/2004 12:43:51 AM   
2ndACR

Wrong, the computer can and will upgrade them regardless of supply. Happened every time I used the paras. Lemurs' scen has removed the AT guns from the paras completely.

Only good thing about having the 47mm not air transportable in the regular scenario is now the unit will always rebuild if it gets butchered.

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 11
RE: Paratrooper Problem - 8/22/2004 1:46:53 AM   
irishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Wrong, the computer can and will upgrade them regardless of supply. Happened every time I used the paras. Lemurs' scen has removed the AT guns from the paras completely.

Only good thing about having the 47mm not air transportable in the regular scenario is now the unit will always rebuild if it gets butchered.

I had problems moving the 37mm even though it was under the load limit due to the upgrade problem. (whats the point in having a unit in the scenario that is due to upgrade on 8th Dec???)
But I will guarantee you that I have airdropped the 47mm as well. Some units allow it but some don't. I'll send you the saves if you want :-)
I think there is probably a glitch somewhere but para units are very useful though not very predictable!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Paratrooper Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI