Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operational advice needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Operational advice needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operational advice needed - 8/22/2004 4:39:48 AM   
wodin

Can someone direct me to somewhere that has basic step by step advice and hints/tips on how to play operational games.

I own KP and understand the game and its mechanics but not really how to "PLAY" the game. Also Im trying to get to grips with TOAW COW and can again see a great game but where do I start. What order should things be assesed in? What are the major things I should be looking for? How should I use different units (Infantry,Tanks etc etc). Some kind of step by step guide for newbies on this type of game would be invaluable.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/22/2004 4:50:05 AM   
Hexed Gamer

Wodin do a google for Jim Dunnigan and just search out anything connected with his books.

A lot of his literature is at the operational level, and often translates well into terms that make relevant sense to an operational level wargame like TOAW.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/22/2004 5:03:34 AM   
wodin

Ok will do

Thanks

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 3
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/22/2004 7:11:51 PM   
Brigz

Woden,

Try this webpage. It should be enough info to get you started. I think I might have other links. If I can find them I'll post them.

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/docs/strategy/

Good luck. It's a great game.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/22/2004 7:17:35 PM   
Brigz

Woden,

Here are a couple more links:

http://www.warfarehq.com/index.php?page=articles/toaw_articles/toaw_tutorial.shtml

http://www.warfarehq.com/index.php?page=articles/toaw_articles/toaw_encirclement.shtml

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/22/2004 7:52:11 PM   
Dirtdog20

Wodin,

The Warfare HQ site also has a supported section dealing with just TOAW. The WWI scenario that has been talked about earlier can be found here, along with hordes and gobs of others.

You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 6
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/26/2004 2:31:44 AM   
Tombstone

Biggest difference from operational level games and tactical level games are maintaining unit order, making love to the roads, and balancing forces against your various objectves. Also, always concentrate a gang load of forces on the most important objective.. (at least on the offensive)

Tomo

(in reply to Dirtdog20)
Post #: 7
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/26/2004 8:00:10 PM   
Paul Wykes

Hi Wodin.

If you don`t mind me asking, I`ve been trying the get hold of a copy of TOW:ACOW here in the UK on and off for ages, with no luck. Where did you get your copy from?

Thanks

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 8
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/28/2004 5:06:16 PM   
wodin

Ive sent you a PM

(in reply to Paul Wykes)
Post #: 9
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/30/2004 4:09:40 AM   
Jane Doe

Some advice if your playing KP kind of operational and on the offense

Support your infantry with armoured units to create a breakthrough and once it's done, engulf your tanks in as fast as possible while using your infantry to enlarge the gap. While creating the gap, keep your mobile reserve close to the front line in order to take advantage of any hole in your enemy's front and penetrate as deep as possible behind his line. What you want to do is to prevent him from withdrawing all his units to recreate a continuous front line some KMs back. Once you've done that, the fun can really begin. Don't try to destroy his units in frontal assaults, instead try to manoeuvre your mobile forces in a way as to isolate some of his units from the rest of his forces. They'll be easily destroyed that way. Also, lead your charge with your most powerful units so that they won't be vulnerable to counterattack or to being isolated for a short period of time.
Last but not least: Don't let "anything" distract you from your objectives and speed is of the essence.

I think a reason why KP is so good is that it actually encourages and rewards manoeuvres.

< Message edited by Jane Doe -- 8/30/2004 2:11:48 AM >

Ainsi dans le courage et ainsi dans la peur, ainsi dans la misère et ainsi dans l'horreur.

"first you need a tear, just a tear of gin......and then a river of tonic"

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/30/2004 5:54:20 AM   
Kevinugly

I have a couple of good links for learning more 'real life' operational 'art'

http://www.redarmystudies.net/0411030.htm - goes into some detail on Soviet operational doctrine.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/online/Bookshelves/WW2-EAME.htm - where there is plenty on American army operations in Europe and Tunisia.

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to Jane Doe)
Post #: 11
RE: Operational advice needed - 8/30/2004 6:30:10 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tombstone

Biggest difference from operational level games and tactical level games are maintaining unit order, making love to the roads, and balancing forces against your various objectves. Also, always concentrate a gang load of forces on the most important objective.. (at least on the offensive)

Tomo

This is good advice. I'd add a few such as economy of effort. Try to think of the most efficient way to move and fight with your forces.

On the attack, fight hard for the good terrain or vital roads. Use these to increase your mobility. On the defensive, fight hard to hold vital towns and bad terrain.

Don't flog your guys too hard (sometimes impossible in defense). Try to keep reserves (I'm guilty of relying on reinforcements as reserves, especially offensively. That way you can maximize the strikepower of the forward units to create the vital breakthrough/s.

If you do breakthrough, even if defending, move fast to exploit it. Know when to slide back onto the defensive if resistance stiffens too much. The next wave of your reserves may offer further opportunities.

Use powerful pincers to create encirclements. They are usually very nasty for your opponent.

Try to gain control of the air. At least try to stop your opponent getting it.

Operational level is a great scale I reackon. It took me a while to get into it through TOAW. Before that I preferred the strategic/grand-operational level of board WiF (which is actually pretty tactical I think, in a chunky, corps level kind of way).

Cheers
Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 8/31/2004 11:11:37 AM >

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Operational advice needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI