Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/30/2004 10:30:10 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc_Mitscher

I tried the patch. I did not have any problems before, now the background music is slightly distorded. It's a step backward in my case.

I sencond that. going down from 192 to 22 is a way back into the 80's. I remember me doing 22khz sound files on an Amiga 500. ppl cant fix their installaton trobles with 1000's of installed filters, codecs etc and yelling for patches. Windows needs, after a year, a complete installation, no matter what !

get a good simple small install, and WitP runs like a rabbit.

< Message edited by Oliver Heindorf -- 8/30/2004 10:54:28 PM >

(in reply to Marc_Mitscher)
Post #: 31
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/30/2004 11:03:18 PM   
Grotius

Oliver, my PC can handle 192KHz sound files in other games just fine, and I installed Win XP clean just a few months ago. WITP is the only game I have for which it's an issue. My system (P4/3G, 2G RAM, ATI 9800 Pro 128) runs Doom 3 fine. That game is about as demanding as they come.

As the devs have said, the WITP sound issue is a quirky one, confined to certain configurations of PCs. My laptop, which has much less horsepower than my desktop, has never had a sound problem with WITP.

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 32
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/30/2004 11:14:48 PM   
Brausepaul

Please don't mix up 22 kHz and 192 kbps

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 33
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/30/2004 11:55:24 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

Please don't mix up 22 kHz and 192 kbps

makes me feel like &

makes me now

< Message edited by Oliver Heindorf -- 8/30/2004 10:56:28 PM >

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 34
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/31/2004 5:28:40 AM   
Sonny

So far it has worked fine with the few turns I have played.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

Post #: 35
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/31/2004 6:13:05 AM   
Grotius

After two turns, it working pretty well for me, too. My only complaint so far is that the bomb-dropping sound is still too loud, even after setting all sound settings to 5. It's better, but still it stands out too much. Most other sounds sound noticeably better at the higher sampling rate. (My incomplete sound education is coming back to me: isn't the gold standard in sound 24 bits/96KHz or some such? We're at 44 KHz with this patch?)

I still haven't had a chance the issue that plagued me in 1.21, though: torpedo bombers' sounds. Why haven't I had the chance to test them? Because the AI has shut down my airfield at Port Moresby, THAT's WHY! Grr. Time to move some Beauforts to Lunga, I guess. You know, for testing purposes. :)

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 36
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/31/2004 7:08:32 AM   
Mr.Frag

44.1 kHz is commonly known as 128k in your mp3 players.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 37
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/31/2004 8:15:15 AM   
Grotius

Ah. I don't do MP3 players, so that's news to me. As I dimly recall from my digital-audio-recording days, 44KHz is a perfectly respectable sample rate. I'm not sure my ear can tell much difference between 44 and 96. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, after a few more turns, your 44 patch still seems nice and stable for me. The bomb-droppings are still too loud on air-to-ground, but they're somewhat better with all the volume set at 5. Bomb-droppings in air-to-naval are better still.

The only other quibble I have is with the "TF unloading over beach sound." I hear five seconds of monotonous machine noise. Is it supposed to be an amphib vehicle riding on a beach? It starts and stops very abruptly; doesn't fade in or out like other sounds.

Also, I still haven't had a chance to test how torpedo bombers sound. I may just have to load an old savegame, since my torpedo bombers at Port Morseby appear to be out of business.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 38
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/31/2004 1:42:31 PM   
russkly

Erik,

Problem solved!

Very pleased - completed decisive victory in tutorial with sound. Much better and more atmospheric.

Thanks for all your hard work and for that of the Matrix Games team. Now on to a proper scenario.

R

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 39
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/31/2004 1:48:03 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

44.1 kHz is commonly known as 128k in your mp3 players.

yupp, now I remeber...22 khz is 16 bit mono....80's

anyway, thanks Ray !

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 40
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 8/31/2004 4:31:16 PM   
Grotius

I thought bit rate and sample rate were two different things, but what do I know. I dimly recall the "gold standard" of digital audio being 24 bits @ 96 MHz, and that 24 @ 48KHz or 24 @ 44KHz was perfectly acceptable. I don't think 44 KHz is 1980s. And until recently, most SoundBlasters really operated at 16 bits, not 24 bits.

Post #: 41
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 3:13:19 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, I just added a download link with an installer for the 44khz version. Please give it a try if you'd like improved sound quality over the 22khz version. Let us know your results in this thread. Thanks.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 42
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 5:25:53 AM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Ok, I just added a download link with an installer for the 44khz version. Please give it a try if you'd like improved sound quality over the 22khz version. Let us know your results in this thread. Thanks.

Regards,

- Erik

Where is it?

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

Post #: 43
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 6:07:58 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Where is it?

First page of the thread

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 44
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 6:09:57 AM   
Grotius

I just realized that I am missing one nice sound under the 44 patch: the daily weather! Under previous patches, I'd hear a little weather sound at the beginning of the turn, although the sound didn't always coincide with the weather at Pearl Harbor. But now I hear no weather sound at all.

Hardly a game-breaking issue, but it would be nice to have the weather sound back.

< Message edited by Grotius -- 9/1/2004 4:10:36 AM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 45
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 6:30:51 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I just realized that I am missing one nice sound under the 44 patch: the daily weather! Under previous patches, I'd hear a little weather sound at the beginning of the turn, although the sound didn't always coincide with the weather at Pearl Harbor. But now I hear no weather sound at all.

Was it there in the 22 k version?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 46
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 7:48:46 AM   
Grotius

I don't think it was in the 22 version either, come to think of it. I'm not absolutely certain, but I'm pretty sure I haven't heard weather in either 22 or 44.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 47
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 7:54:17 AM   
Buck Beach

Both links takes me to the 10MB 22khz file??

Post #: 48
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 8:25:19 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/WarInThePacific/WarInThePacificSoundPatch44.exe

should be in the link try this for the 44khz version. Be aware, over 50 MB dowmload.

Thank you Erik, I will try them tonight when I am at home

Post #: 49
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 6:25:07 PM   
Marc_Mitscher

I tried the 44hz version more fully last night. The distortion is now gone but two new problems have cropped up: 1) an intermittent clicking noise is heard in the background; and 2) the music skips every once and a while. So far the stock sounds are the only ones I can play with no problems.

Post #: 50
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 6:54:44 PM   
maikarant

Hiyas,

My first post here :)

The 22-interim patch solved my crash problem! Thanks a bunch! I'll try the 44 khz version now.

< Message edited by maikarant -- 9/1/2004 6:01:04 PM >

Post #: 51
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 7:19:55 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I tried the 44hz version more fully last night. The distortion is now gone but two new problems have cropped up: 1) an intermittent clicking noise is heard in the background; and 2) the music skips every once and a while. So far the stock sounds are the only ones I can play with no problems.

The stock sounds are a mix of 22, 44, and higher. Shifting them all to 44 has actually increased the load on your system. Sounds like you are buckling under the strain now.

I can try a 1:1 mapping on density and see what you end up with, but what you are saying is pretty much what I expect.

Sound support is usually the cheapest part of most computers. This is generally one of those *you get what you pay for* cases with most systems having OEM Soundblaster Basic type cards or onboard chipset sound (even worse).

Post #: 52
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 8:18:16 PM   
Marc_Mitscher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

The stock sounds are a mix of 22, 44, and higher. Shifting them all to 44 has actually increased the load on your system. Sounds like you are buckling under the strain now.

I can try a 1:1 mapping on density and see what you end up with, but what you are saying is pretty much what I expect.

Sound support is usually the cheapest part of most computers. This is generally one of those *you get what you pay for* cases with most systems having OEM Soundblaster Basic type cards or onboard chipset sound (even worse).

my system is a P4 3.0 GHZ , Asus P4P800 mb, 1 G DDR 400 memory, Geforce FX5900, Windows XP pro and a Hercules Game theater 7.1 sound card. WITP should not be straining my system, although it might be time to upgrade my sound card.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 53
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 9:45:18 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

I tried the 22khz version....honestly, this is a step back in quality. I am happy that this fix has enlarged the friends/players of this game and it is good for matrix but if I look down at my version/my installation here....bäh.

the once fine hearable landcombat noises is now crappy, sonds bad and is more like kids in a sandkist...

the music....sounds like someone has wrapped 5 T-Shirts over my music speakers here ( I checked - there arent any )

planes diving sound...plays in lesser quality now too, not very good to hear any more.

all in all : a step back for me here but a step forward for matrix.

I will try the 44 khz version now and I will pray that it has the same quality as I had once before.

Post #: 54
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 9:59:44 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

YEAH ! 44khz is here absolutly the same like the mp3 stuff before

awesome job guys and thanks for the 44 khz version

I say : go for 44khz or go away.

the 44khz version should be in the future patch or ppl should have a choice between the two versions please.

thanks again me happy again

Post #: 55
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/1/2004 10:47:25 PM   
Mr.Frag

Oliver, when I did the 22k, I figured it would rule out machine problems and be small enough for modem users to get quick and be back in business. I also had not ability to see *if* if would fix you.

Nothing worse then a large download that doesn't work!

Post #: 56
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 12:52:22 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

one additional information : I have installed in this row : first the 22khz patch. tried some game turns with it and got a little disappointed ( see above ) and then I patched to 44 khz to make me happy again hehe

But then I encountered the following : I heard always the same song in the background ! 6 times in a row..it never occured before that I heard the same song in a row...an error ?

it was 1028.sfx - my fav one !! which made me happy playing the game but....well you know not the same it was before the patches were applied.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 57
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 2:38:39 AM   
Grotius

I've had the same song repeat in versions 1.00 and 1.21, so I'm not sure that's anything new.

It'd be nice to have more control over when songs play. If I had my druthers, I'd play one song every other turn, and then only in the planning phase, and then only once. I like the music, but like any music, it's best if you don't hear it too frequently.

Post #: 58
Sound slowing the PC down through a turn - 9/2/2004 12:58:39 PM   
wobbly

I am one of those whining modem download pains so a few questions ofr those that have gone through the pain. My issue was not with R2D2 noises or tearing metal. Mine is with degradation of game speed. If I use the sounds it take 2.5 times longer to watch a combat summary and then, within the game scrolling and such is diabolically slow. Has this change made any differences to that - has anyone else actually got this problem?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 59
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 2:26:59 PM   
v.Manstein

My sound problem has been fixed with this sound patch.

Thank you very much, guys.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI