Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shotguns are back!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Shotguns are back! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shotguns are back! - 8/31/2004 11:37:04 PM   
KG Erwin

Due to popular demand (which means I asked for them ), the US Marines have new rifle squads armed with shotguns in weapons slot 3. These were removed from the squads in an earlier OOB, and I believed they should be restored as an option.

Note the following passage from "Saipan: Beginning of the End" (USMC Historical Monograph)--

"Company G, moving through the sand dunes along the beach, met strong resistance in the form of a series of mutually supporting pillboxes (normally housing 37 or 47mm guns) covered by riflemen in open trenches. Individual Japanese actually charged from foxholes with bayonet or sword to contest Company G's advance. For its task of seizing Afetna Point, this company had been supplied with weapons unusual to combat: shotguns. The reason for this becomes apparent when it is realized that the unit was attacking straight towards the 4th Marine Division's left flank, making a short-range weapon (and one with a wide dispersion pattern) desirable. The entire 8th Marines' supply of shotguns [the F series regiment had 100 12-gauge shotguns in its weapons pool--KGE] was allotted to Company G, making available about one shotgun per two Marines. Men thus armed also carried their normal weapons for later use. The shotguns, generally, worked well; particularly against sword-wielding opponents, but some difficulty was experienced because most of the cartridge jackets were made of cardboard rather than metal. The cardboard-jacketed cartridges often became misshapen in the sea air, and would not enter shotgun chambers."

The shotgun-armed rifle squads will be in addition to the squads with either Thompsons or Carbines in slot 3, and the Rifle-Grenade-armed squads. Now, scenario designers and gamers have a variety of historical USMC weapons allotments to choose from.

My thanks to Marauder Mel for indulging my obsession with the WWII Marine Corps, and basically giving me free reign to add formations and units, based on my research into the historical TOEs.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 8/31/2004 4:51:09 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Shotguns are back! - 9/1/2004 12:35:12 AM   
rrockw

Sounds great!

Rich

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Shotguns are back! - 9/1/2004 8:22:41 PM   
Riun T

Hey, Gunny why has'nt the introduction of the thermite grenade made it to equipment of the day yet,!! one of the best Cave killing impliments I know of that also made its debute in the Pasific if I remember correctly?!!
RT

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Shotguns are back! - 9/2/2004 4:05:14 AM   
KG Erwin

Riun, I need some historical data on these thermite grenades. Right now, the American Marines are armed to the teeth with demolitions, rifle grenades, flamethrowers, shotguns, M1 Rifles, BARs and M1 carbines in the various squad configurations, at least from June 1944 onwards. I don't intend for these guys to be supermen, but I believe that 8.3 will give an accurate representation of their capabilities. I do NOT want to overdo it.

However, I will state that the US Marine Corps F-series squad was, IMHO, the best infantry squad in the world during 1944-45, bar none.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 9/1/2004 9:11:45 PM >

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 4
RE: Shotguns are back! - 9/2/2004 6:56:13 PM   
m10bob

Gunny,when you consider that in that time frame their enemy was barely touched by 16 inch naval barrages,due to being in coral hardened caves,I believe those Gyrenes pretty much *were* supermen......
If you do consider thermites,of course you might try a smaller version of Ammo Sgt/Flashfyres's WP's..IMHO it fits the bill.........
As for usage,I know the Rangers had access to them at Normandy on 6 June as they used them to "weld" enemy artillery so they could not be used..

< Message edited by m10bob -- 9/2/2004 12:37:43 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Shotguns are back! - 9/3/2004 3:38:24 AM   
RayM

Hello KG,

And where I find this new OOB? Please advise.

Thanks,

Ray

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 6
RE: Shotguns are back! - 9/3/2004 5:31:16 AM   
KG Erwin

Ray, these haven't been officially issued yet. My personal version is different from the official version, in that I have customized my version for vs AI play. The official version is for general public distribution. Check your e -mail.

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 7
RE: Shotguns are back! - 9/3/2004 5:39:28 AM   
RayM

No problem. I received your OOBs and added them to SPWaW a couple days after you sent it. Many thanks.

Ray

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Shotguns are back! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI