Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Have wargames grown bigger?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Have wargames grown bigger? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Have wargames grown bigger? - 8/31/2004 11:58:52 PM   
PatrickC

I started playing wargames in 1968, and I was practically obsessed with them for decades. But sometime in the 90s, I found I just didn't have the time or patience for 'em anymore.

Just recently, I downloaded SP:WaW for old times' sake. Kinda reminds me of SL/ASL--one of the most exciting wargames ever.

Unfortunately, even with the computer, I find that the typical wargame has too many moving parts. The maps are too big, there are too many units to move around each turn--and even when the game is good (as SP:WaW is), to me it gets to be a drag after a while.

So far I've tried only the scenarios marked Small or Medium. Even some of the "Small" battles have too many units for my liking. Medium is way too big. I don't know how some folks manage to play campaigns, much less "mega-campaigns."

I think I may switch to miniatures. DBA seems just about right to me these days.

--Patrick
Post #: 1
RE: Have wargames grown bigger? - 9/1/2004 12:31:17 AM   
wodin

Try Squad Battles by HPS. In my mind the squad combat game. Advance of the Reich with all the new scenarios is a good first choice. If you like ASL it has ported 21 maps/games from ASL with many more to come.HPS LINK

Team Echo scenario site LINK

(in reply to PatrickC)
Post #: 2
RE: Have wargames grown bigger? - 9/2/2004 5:00:39 AM   
Sawbonz

The Screaming Eagles megacampaign actually has small battles so you might check that out. Usually can complete in about an hour. If you really want to see a big game- check out the "war in the pacific" site. They are quoting 20 or 30 hours just to set up the first turn.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Have wargames grown bigger? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI