Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Suggestions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestions - 5/31/2000 11:51:00 PM   
LTC S

First, as far as the AI. There should be a historical and an alternate AI for each participant (ie. Japan, US, etc). The historical AI would use the known plans and historical responses, ie. IJN seeks "decisive battle", ignores "total, long war" and "trade protection". The alternate AI would explore a different path or maybe multiple paths, some available for choice by the human player to test alternate resolutions. Second, there should be a multi-player version, both opponents and cooperative, approach. There would be a US Army, USN, maybe a USAAF, NEI, Chinese Nationalist, Chinese Communist, Soviet, Australian and British player on the Allied side, each with their own (sometimes conflicting victory conditions) and, at the very least, an IJN and IJA player in opposition, again with specific victory conditions for both. This would certainly more nearly replicate the fight for resources (resource allocation, production planning) within each national effort and between allies. Third, the scenario editor ahould have the ability to "block" out forces, resources, terrain, etc, that isn't required for a scenario. Examples would be Japanese-Soviet conflict or a straight "Plan Orange" scenario. On the flip side, all possible bases should be built into the game for activation as needed, and built to the maximum capabilities achieved or planned. Then the scenario can "build down" or "block out" while assigning control to a player. Of course, then you get into whether a political events threshold can be built which causes a player or the AI to take action, ie. Japanese decision to expand the war outside China, US decision to intervene in China, etc. 4. A platform editor should be included which allows the player to explore issues such as better US/Philippine prepardness (the planning for a PNG and USAR forces in the islands), no or modified Washington Treaty (the upper limit for capital ships was almost set at 45,000 tons) or London Treaty (impact of British "small" BB proposals) or continuation of the Treaty past 1937, alternate development timelines or resource allocation (US builds to Treaty limits before 1939-40), etc. Or the maximum database could be built and the player selects the forces based on a resource allocation model and on political constraints (US isolationists, US commitment to Europe, British involvement in WW2 prior to 1941, etc). 5. Keep the level strategic/operational. Going tactical would be beyond the resources of even the best commercially available computers. Player represents National Command Authority, JCS, IGHQ, etc. Develops objectives for resource allocation and production and lets computer execute. Direct armies/corps/air forces/wings/task forces/task groups and computer executes appropriate actions, formations and resource allocations based on allocated resources, command ability, etc. If the current systems can handle it, then go tactical. But I think managing below Corps level is going to be too much, though for games purposes, showing OOB (ORBAT) and equipment/personnel status is interesting, just as in WIR, West Front and Road to Moscow. 6. A detail, but the IJN especially needs more flexibility in using surface combatant floatplanes. 7. The period covered should be 1932-?, the actual start of the Pacific War. Once the game is built, it should not be difficult to adjust the database and the players could develop scenarios for the Sino-Chinese War of 1894-5, the Boxer Rebellion, Russo-Japanese War of 1905, WWI in the Pacific, etc. 8. Finally, I agree that Alan Zimm's "Action Stations" is probably the best available WWII (1920-1945) naval surface combat sim. I also prefer Grigsby's "Warship" over most everything else that has come after it, including GNB and Fighting Steel. I did like the TF1942 idea of commanding the combat surface force from the command bridge, as well as the chart room or CIC. It would be nice if someone (hint, hint) got Alan Zimm to allow a port to Win98 and then did some extra work, including the Ships Editor he promised us and extended the time period backward to 1895 or so?

Post #: 1
- 6/1/2000 2:09:00 AM   
Dunedain

Zimm was working on a sequel to Action Stations called Fleet Commander. This would have added subs and carriers to the game. And, of course, the graphics would have been brought fully up to date. But due to him having to move (got assigned somewhere else, IIRC, this disrupted his work schedule) and not having enough funding for the project from a publisher, the game never got made. I REALLY wanted Fleet Commander, I was so disappointed when I heard it was on indefinite hold. I still clearly remember the article that Computer Gaming World had on the development of Fleet Commander, and the great efforts that Commander Zimm was going to to ensure historical accuracy. He was very concerned about the fuel flow rates of carrier aircraft engines when at full throttle during combat and how that would affect their range. This guy was leaving NO stone unturned in his quest for the ultimate WWII tactical naval combat wargame. I was very impressed with his efforts. Wouldn't it be GREAT if Matrix were to contact Mr. Zimm and work out an arrangement for him to finish Fleet Commander (it's already at least half done, maybe even more) and have it published by Matrix? *HINT* *HINT* What a fantastic wargame that would be, in 800x600 16 bit color glory, no less. I can see it now, aaahh...

(in reply to LTC S)
Post #: 2
- 6/1/2000 5:23:00 AM   
Major Tom

I would like a Hex Based, rather than a Base er, Based Map. Land Combat Units should not be restricted from defending and attacking bases, they should be able to move all around an Island (ie. Sumatra) instead of just hanging out in the individual bases. Bases would contain the supplies to units, and if cut off from a base would lose out of supplies. I liked how War In Russia dealt with Land Combat Units, in Corps sized units. You should be able to form up units like WIR did, and have them move about islands (not necessarily stick them in bases). This would add a bit more strategy to LCU fighting. You should get the Historic Corps for the Allies (Malay Command had the III Indian Corps of the 9th and 11th Divisions, SEAC had BurCorps, later 14th Army, which then had a multitude of British Corps, also, SW Pacific, 10th Army, 8th Army and 6th Army had multiple Corps, the I Corps having faught from New Guinea to the Philippines, along with some Marine Amphibious Corps).

(in reply to LTC S)
Post #: 3
- 6/1/2000 11:42:00 AM   
richak

Ooohhh, I like Major Tom's idea on hexes and land combat. A kind of compromise, or should I say more practical way to involve the player more in land combat actions without getting too bogged down. I realize that on some islands, like the atolls, there is nothing that can be done, the scale is too small to be represented by anything but the base itself, but in China, the Phillipines, etc, it sure would be interesting to be able to move around on hexes outside of the bases with lines of supply. To cross and defend ridges or mountains. If there were anyway to get the scale down to making Leyte, Guadalcanal, or New Guinea feasible for hex movement that would be INCREDIBLE!!!! Just to have different hexes with different hex types, i.e. jungle, mountain, plains, outide of the bases would be nice. Even if the island had only 2 hexes, it would be fun to move between the two. My final .02 cents, or .04. About the talk on 3d, I agree with all said, keep it out!!! This is a wargame first and foremost not meant to compete with the mainstream 3d shooters. It would slow the game down and add too much time and costs to developments. Beautiful 2d pictures of the ships (top down, side profile) on the TF pop up menus would be great. If, in addition to this, perhaps have the popup menu back ground be of a real photo of the ship after you click it to get more detailed information. This would be a very nice touch. Just like Gary Grisby did in Steel panthers. It had the 2d game graphic picture along with the real photos. To me, the real photos kept me ooohhhing and aaaahiiiing(from 5 years ago.....in fact still today) where all my 3d games are sitting with dust on them, as the 3d gets old quick opposed to real pics that add immensly to the immersion adn historical factor for those of us that play wargames. Finally, the idea of real pics of the commander as a popup menu backgrounds written about a couple days ago is GREAT!!!! Love the idea!!!! If the programmers include some type of historic photo on the pop-up base menus, of the historic scenery of the ports, airfields, etc that would be nice. Even generic base photos of similar atolls, west coast ports, Japanese ports, Aussie ports, Singapore, etc woudl really be nice. I really like the idea of picture immersion that was being used for the Pacific Tide game for actions, airplanes, amphib landings, and pop-ups by Stargames, though it looks as though that game is dead in the water. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be a lot cheaper and quicker to use real photos in the game, not to mention prettier, than using 3d graphics, or the type of graphics used in Civilization, or Pacific Theatre of Operations by Koei? Anyway, can't wait to see the new game. I will by it if it is $45 dollars or has to come with a pop up advertising screen. Though, I would much rather have the option of paying $45 dollars for the game as opposed to losing the immersion with "Amazon.com", "Visa Gold", or "LuLu's hot Arkansas xxx come join" advertising across the bottom of the screen while I am trying to bomb Pearl Harbor or Save Singapore. Thank you. Rich

Rich

(in reply to LTC S)
Post #: 4
- 6/3/2000 1:07:00 AM   
Supervisor

I know this is a little off topic, but the mentions of "Action Stations" sparked my interest. I have the complete set & have played it for many years. However, this post is the first I've heard about a "Fleet Commander" sequel. Does anyone have more information on this than what's been posted here? Does Alan Zimm have a site? Thanks in advance for your help.

(in reply to LTC S)
Post #: 5
- 6/3/2000 1:52:00 AM   
Dunedain

No, no further information. Matrix would have to contact Zimm and make a deal with him for there to be any real chance of Fleet Commander ever getting released, I would think. It would be a great wargame, no doubt. All the gunnery combat of Action Stations with subs and tactical carrier ops added in. Let Matrix know if you'd like them to have Zimm finish the game and get it published.

(in reply to LTC S)
Post #: 6
- 6/3/2000 3:15:00 AM   
Supervisor

Thanks for the info. Matrix Games, any possiblity of this? The few posts I have seen about Action Stations all agree that it is great game & begs upgrading to a Windows 95/98 environment. I have bought the GNB series, Harpoon, Fighting Steel, & Janes Fleet Command & I find myself going back to Action Stations time & again. Way back when I had written Alan Zimm about adding WWI era ships, but unfortunately never heard back from him. I would like to see first maybe something of an expansion pack that would add WWI era ships (especially armored cruisers!) Thanks for listening.

(in reply to LTC S)
Post #: 7
- 6/4/2000 12:46:00 AM   
norsemanjs

Action Stations As I've talked about before was an awesome game. Matrix...check it out this was a classic and with a little polishing up would be a great addition to your line-up. Also about the old ads or no ads debate. How about a downloadable free version with adds and a version you could pay a full fee for and get a cd without the advertising. Norseman

(in reply to LTC S)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Suggestions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI