Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 5/31/2001 10:15:00 AM   
Chiteng

First I didnt say Pac War. I said War in the Pacific. Second: yes almost everything I stated in my post you can do in War in the Pacific. It will be expensive and you likely will not win the war quickly but you can do it. As for your statement about ship armor, I am not an expert so I cant refute you. I can say if no one trys it certainly will never happen. Also I would never accept one source as gospel. But 18 inch armor may indeed be hard to come by. I simply cant say. The USA could have easily produced 100k C-47's that isnt even an issue. Probably would have a hard time flying them all but that is diffrent problem. I posted some time ago and you responded I was arguing for 10% monthly attrition on all active airframes. I also argued for Capital Ship refit. I argued against using the factory produces fictitious points and you use them to purchase airframes at an arbitrary cost. ALL of Gary's games use that system except ToH. War in the Pacific allows you 4 Montana class counters and I always build them. I happen to like Battleships. They arrive just after Okinawa falls usually. Sadly I dont get to do much with them. Yes indeed you are allowed in WitP top build thousands of C-47s and you are allowed to airdrop supplies to troops. So no need for roads or railroads. However it ISNT very efficient. Likewise you can build thousands of Gato class submarines. If you choose to. If you seriously dont believe me I can easily spreadsheet a sample production from the game and post it here. All US players of that game know its true.

“It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Greg Wilmoth)
Post #: 31
- 5/31/2001 5:59:00 PM   
moore4807

Chiteng, I dont believe G. Wilmoth is trying to discredit you as much as you seem to be feeling here-I certainly dont dispute that you will be able to do more in WitP than PacWar (ie: build 4 Montana's, but as you also point out it rarely is in any time to make any difference.)however I'm reading variables to PacWar and the new windows based WitP as two completely seperate animals with a "kissing cousins" background. My point is that Windows based gaming, coding variables are infinite to the window you are building. the rub comes when you set values and then have to convert them to another window. (programmers feel free to correct me-I'm novice) For those that played KOEI's PTOII (Pacific Theatre of Operations) the detail level and supply vs need was an integral part of your "WAR" there were so many things to do and only an infinite amount to do it with... (something I feel was VERY true of WWII) I think with the advancements made since PTOII it would make a great stand alone game for strategy types (not your run of the mill commercially successful game :) )it would miss the glitz graphics and visual snazziness, but look how well the sports sims are doing...I have purchased nearly all of them and I'm certainly not alone (Note: I think sims/stats gamers are some of the most hard core on the internet- They can be downright intimidating in the chatrooms- err not taking anything away from wargaming by all means!) oh well I'm rambling, so dont take it personal, you have a point and your entitled to it just as we all are, only try to understand where G. Wilmoth is coming from too! He makes sense to me... Jim M

Post #: 32
- 5/31/2001 8:28:00 PM   
madflava13

My two cents on the production issue is this: 1. It would be great to be able to design (a la Space Empires) each class of ship built. 2. It would be great to have the ability to build as many of each class as possible given certain limitations 3. It would take too much away from gameplay, (IMO) to do so. If this much detail is put into the production, I fear that combat, or movement routines, or something, will suffer. Something has to give. Instead, why not just do a simplfied production with available or planned platforms? There's no need to be redesigning every class because I want to. I think the focus should be on the decision-making, not the production. For example- Does the American side want to retake Wake or go for Tarawa? Should we slog it out in New Guinea or Island hop (or both)? Thats where the beauty of this game will be. The production ideas are great, but I don't think this much detail is feasible if we want to keep the game fun to play and realistic in the other areas. Again, this is my opinion only, feel free to comment.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

Post #: 33
- 5/31/2001 10:25:00 PM   
Mark

quote:

Originally posted by Chiteng: First I didnt say Pac War. I said War in the Pacific. Second: yes almost everything I stated in my post you can do in War in the Pacific. It will be expensive and you likely will not win the war quickly but you can do it. I argued against using the factory produces fictitious points and you use them to purchase airframes at an arbitrary cost. ALL of Gary's games use that system except ToH. War in the Pacific allows you 4 Montana class counters and I always build them. I happen to like Battleships. They arrive just after Okinawa falls usually. Sadly I dont get to do much with them. Yes indeed you are allowed in WitP top build thousands of C-47s and you are allowed to airdrop supplies to troops. So no need for roads or railroads. However it ISNT very efficient. Likewise you can build thousands of Gato class submarines. If you choose to. If you seriously dont believe me I can easily spreadsheet a sample production from the game and post it here. All US players of that game know its true.
Sorry for misunderstanding, but I thought, that War in the Pacific - Struggle Against Japan is not released yet? Or am I wrong? Or did you mean some other game? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards, Mark.

Post #: 34
- 5/31/2001 10:52:00 PM   
Chiteng

To me War in the Pacific is the Old SPI board game, until such a time as these guys release the computer game with the same name.

“It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest

"Statistic

Post #: 35
- 6/1/2001 4:52:00 AM   
Greg Wilmoth

quote:

Originally posted by Chiteng: First I didnt say Pac War. I said War in the Pacific. Duly noted, and I stand corrected. Second: yes almost everything I stated in my post you can do in War in the Pacific. It will be expensive and you likely will not win the war quickly but you can do it. As for your statement about ship armor, I am not an expert so I cant refute you. I can say if no one trys it certainly will never happen. Also I would never accept one source as gospel. But 18 inch armor may indeed be hard to come by. I simply cant say. The USA could have easily produced 100k C-47's that isnt even an issue. Probably would have a hard time flying them all but that is diffrent problem. We will just have to agree to disagree. I posted some time ago and you responded I was arguing for 10% monthly attrition on all active airframes. I also argued for Capital Ship refit. I argued against using the factory produces fictitious points and you use them to purchase airframes at an arbitrary cost. ALL of Gary's games use that system except ToH. That must have been in the earlier thread, which seems to have disappeared. Do they archive such things around here? War in the Pacific allows you 4 Montana class counters and I always build them. I happen to like Battleships. They arrive just after Okinawa falls usually. Sadly I dont get to do much with them. Yes indeed you are allowed in WitP top build thousands of C-47s and you are allowed to airdrop supplies to troops. So no need for roads or railroads. However it ISNT very efficient. Likewise you can build thousands of Gato class submarines. If you choose to. If you seriously dont believe me I can easily spreadsheet a sample production from the game and post it here. All US players of that game know its true.
Please post the spreadsheet or E-mail it to me (see my profile). I want to see how SPI's War in the Pacific handled this.

Post #: 36
- 6/1/2001 5:05:00 AM   
Greg Wilmoth

[QUOTE]Originally posted by madflava13: My two cents on the production issue is this: 1. It would be great to be able to design (a la Space Empires) each class of ship built. I asked Malfador Machinations if they would be interested in doing a game on the naval arms race in the 1930s. They said they were too busy getting Space Empires IV up and running to consider it. 2. It would be great to have the ability to build as many of each class as possible given certain limitations 3. It would take too much away from gameplay, (IMO) to do so. If this much detail is put into the production, I fear that combat, or movement routines, or something, will suffer. Something has to give. Instead, why not just do a simplfied production with available or planned platforms? There's no need to be redesigning every class because I want to. I think the focus should be on the decision-making, not the production. For example- Does the American side want to retake Wake or go for Tarawa? Should we slog it out in New Guinea or Island hop (or both)? Thats where the beauty of this game will be. The production ideas are great, but I don't think this much detail is feasible if we want to keep the game fun to play and realistic in the other areas. Again, this is my opinion only, feel free to comment. We agree. Although things can get too simple. I've asked Matrix to post a recent Ed Bever creation called Stalin's Dilemma. It's a little solitare game written in Visual Basic. The player runs three Soviet Five Year Plans between 1928 and 1942. He basically tries to get the industry and military ready to meet the Nazis while trying not to starve too many peasants along the way. It's pretty abstract, really not much more than a glorified spreadsheet. I think he was designing something to play in the classroom, and he wanted students to be able to play it in 10-15 minutes. He succeeded, but I think it would be more fun to decide what specific weapons to build--which airplanes, tanks, etc.

Post #: 37
- 6/1/2001 5:09:00 AM   
Greg Wilmoth

Does anybody know anything about Talonsoft’s game Political Tycoon? Apparently it was done by Monte Cristo, and there appears to be a demo at: http://www.political-tycoon.com/Us/home/intro.htm I wonder how it handles production.

Post #: 38
- 6/2/2001 7:16:00 AM   
lucascuccia

Guys, one thing I am struggling with is the costs of changing production. Maybe it is because I am a bad gamer but I tend to rapidly convert factories to the most apporiate production needed. For instance in Pacwar, I will convert both P-39 and the Australian plant to P-40 Production. As it stands, there is no reason to produced the P-39. The P-40 has better maneuvering and higher cannon vs 1 durability factor over the P-39. Production is the same cost. No brainer here. After the 4 weeks or so to "Retool", I am cranking out the P-40s. Same thing in War in Russia. After turn 1, every factory is either FW-190a, JU-88, or PIII H model. I just makes good gaming sense. For various reasons, all of those factories kept producing the original gear (P-39)(ME-109) and the like. Costs need to be factored into retooling in a greater way.

Post #: 39
- 6/6/2001 9:53:00 AM   
chanman

I agree with the previous post. retooling a factory is nowhere near as easy as it is in PacWar and WIR. Most of the following comments are based on the US, but I am willing to bet similar complications existed in Japan. The firms in question were very competitive, and seemed willing to go through some pretty impressive gyrations to avoid building competitor's designs. Remember that the P51 was developed so that North American could build their own product instead of producing P40's under contract, which is what the British asked them to do. Tooling for an aircraft is pretty complex and is built specifically for that aircraft model (though there is some carry forward for different revisions of the same model). Retooling a factory for a completely different airframe, even if the political resistance could be overcome, would be a pretty long process (3-6 months for a single engine fighter, more for bombers). My experience is with modern comercial jetliners, but I am willing to bet that many of the issues would be the same. Note that after Boeing "merged with" (bought) McDonnell Douglas, the DC9/MD80 was renamed 717 and continues in production today instead of retooling the factory to assemble 7X7 or build parts for them. A complicating factor, not covered really well by pacwar, is the "mark" upgrade in production, such as the substitution of the P38J for the P38F, which would be a fairly painless upgrade. Incremental retooling of a line to handle new models (such as replacing f4f's with f6f's). A better model might be to have factories with resources that can be allocated among different production lines. The factories can grow, production lines can be added, and resources allocated to the lines most in demand when they become available. Not sure how to cover production snafu's or management "braincramps", probably out of the scope of this game. Just a couple of thoughts.

"As God is my witness, I thought that turkeys could fly"

Post #: 40
- 6/6/2001 8:04:00 PM   
Paul Goodman

Airplanes are relatively quick. Battleships take years. The first planning sketches for Montana class ships appear in 1939 (12 16-inch, 48,000 tons). The final drawings (New York Navy Yard) appear in early 1941. By then, the penetration power of the 16"-50 (armor-piercing, 2500 lbs.)had been realized and the ship's displacement has gone up dramatically. The final design was 890 feet long, 60,500 tons, 12 16"-50 main guns. Generally, the admirals were not particularly happy with this design. Particularly, they wondered why a ship so much bigger than the 45,000 ton Iowa's would have so little improvement in secondary armament. The first of these was to be layed down (New York Navy Yard) in 1941, but was cancelled due to a shortage of steel. The plan was to have 3 built in New York, 1 in Philadelphia and 1 in Norfolk. These ships were continuously postponed, first in April, 1942 (steel shortage) and finally cancelled in July, 1943. Of primary importance in all of this is Pres. Roosevelt's quick grasp of the superiority of the aircraft carrier. This would suggest a period of at least five years from concept to commissioning and at least another six months for crew work-up and transfer to the Pacific Fleet. It should also be noted that as late as January, 1945, Iowa's were still being laid down (Illinois). Basically, I think this game should be played with the historical tools that were available. Paul

Post #: 41
- 6/8/2001 7:32:00 PM   
madflava13

I concur. I think there should be limited opportunity to make changes (ie convert ships to CVLs for Japan), otherwise, keep it historical.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

Post #: 42
- 6/9/2001 1:19:00 AM   
moore4807

I question the historical aspect brought up here... for example the P-51A & B models were created with the Allison engine, (same one as the P-40C) some were exported to the British as "Apache" models. The British were so disdainful of the underpowered Allison and the performance of the Apache they were going to cancel the order. The Brit's got the bright idea of sticking the Merlin Rolls Royce engine in it and Presto! the War's greatest single engine fighter was born. Thats historical... Now why cant I have that opportunity with other aircraft if its ok to change a few CA/BB hulls into CVL's to spice up the game? :p

Post #: 43
- 6/9/2001 3:41:00 AM   
Chiteng

I certainly dont agree with the last two posters. The reality is that the US president had already rammed thru a naval appropriation bill that most of congress flat out thought immpossible. In addition he had 'privately' taken the major aircraft manufacturers aside and told them that he wanted a target first year production of all types of 50k airframes. Many of them told him it wasnt possible BUT in the end they surpassed that target. I suggest that if the 'objective' is to find reasons to 'not' do things, then you can easily do that. It doesnt mean they cant be done. It means you dont want to do them(or try). Any US mother of a 7 year old child likely can tell you this is a common behavioral trait. So I assert to you all that a mere minor modification of any of the pre-war bills could have easily removed the 'bottlenecks' that you seem so comfortable with. I suggest to you that they could have just as easily NOT signed the Naval Armaments treaty and indulged in a intense build up of battleships. Along with this, they could easily have de-emphasized aircraft carriers. If you intend to produce a game that straight-jackets the players into the historical mode, that is your choice. BUT do not make rationalizations for doing so. That merely offends. Admit what you are doing and leave it. That is MUCH less offensive. I am a historian and well capable of recognizing cheap rationalizations. This all falls into the same category as: The game ends in October 1914 because all sides ran out of shells. Oddly the war didnt end in October 1914. Strange isnt it. It isnt a stretch to imagine four Montana class being build...even if doing so would actually HURT the war effort. Ok so 'YOU' dont want them. Fine, I am a big proponent of free-will. However I DO want them. I will try just as hard to convince that it should be allowed. My opinion is no less valid that yours. That is why I suggest to the designers of this game, take a LOOK at the production system for SPI's 'War in the Pacific' Take a GOOD look. It isnt a bad system, and it truely gives you a feel for the OVERWHELMING might of the United States.

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

Post #: 44
- 6/10/2001 2:25:00 AM   
moore4807

Chiteng, What do you disagree with my post about? All I stated was that if it was "historical" game then changing over a few hulls to CVL's for the Japanese would be the equivalent to changing aircraft production (that had a dramatic effect on the war) on airframes. This was pointed out by Paul Goodman that it was much easier to do than changing hulls! I dont deny Roosevelt got what he wanted the first year, Try saying that about year 2 planning! he eventually wanted over 100k airframes in year 2 & 3. (now that WAS impossible) I also submit that if NO Pearl Harbor happens, leave the Phillipines alone and go after the weakly defended Dutch and British oil in the Indies, the Japanese would of kept the USA out of the war at least another year and that creates a myriad of possibilites where the IJN has the time to build more CV's/CVL's and get more steel/products/goods for thier warmaking machine. Now thats a political effect on the war not production, but deny it would'nt change production orders & schedules if IJN is sporting 9 fully stocked & fueled CV's in the Pacific to start a war with...and to be honest I really dont care if the USA made 10 Montana's then, WWII is negotiated and over that much sooner with no defeated Japan-imho. As far as "historical" gaming goes, no one will ever be completely happy with what is done with WitP, I will buy it and play it and enjoy it for what it, is a good game. I respect your right and opinions voiced and hope you will consider mine also. Thank you Jim [ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: moore4807 ]

Post #: 45
- 6/10/2001 11:05:00 AM   
Chiteng

Of course, My opinion is no better than anyone elses. Sorry I didnt mean to be polemical. I just feel that a re-run of PacWar will be a disaster. Gary coded a GREAT game in BOTR and yet the sales bombed. That is making me think that maybe wargamming as a hobby is over. That in turn depresses me. People like my wife simply buy more and more first person shooters and clones of Dune et al. No one wants to learn. All that matters is glitz and chrome.

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

Post #: 46
- 6/10/2001 11:40:00 PM   
Warpup

Not so sure wargames are dead. Check out the enthusiasm over "Combat Mission" and "Europa Universalis." I've read some positive reviews of other wargames in Computer Games, which I subscribe too, but these two really stand out. The second, EU, might be something you would classify as "strategy" rather than a wargame, but it's not glitz that's driving the popularity of the game. :rolleyes:

Post #: 47
- 6/11/2001 4:32:00 AM   
IKerensky

quote:

Originally posted by Talorgan: Victory over Japan and Italy might always have been a foregone conclusion but the if they had fought long and hard enough they might have bought enough time for Germany to develope nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them!
PITTY STOP that Yankee Idea of Germans Scientist working on developping a nuclear design !! The american was the only one that works on using nuclear energy has a bomb ! The germans tryed to use it to make nuclear submarine engine ; what, if you look at the first US nuclear subs thay were somewhat successfull at :p The germans never thought about an aerian strategic warfare , thats why they had to ressort to V2 and V3 to some extend and not to B17, B24, B29 , B.. but the Atomic bomb IS a strategic aerial warfare so basically useless for them. More than this Germans scientist refused to work for a bomb and implemented the idea that this wasn't feasible in Germany.

Post #: 48
- 6/12/2001 6:14:00 AM   
moore4807

Chiteng, No apology necessary, but thank you all the same... I understand your feelings however, having seen some good coders at the local college-all is not lost! Many of these computer grads today are finding the bubble has burst, no millionaire jobs and competing with dot-com refugees for the steady jobs that are out there. So I think you will see over an 18 month period some of these folks will start gravitiating to games and updates because its all that is left for them (and what they love doing). I am getting my feet wet just now and already have a career so this is more enjoyment than anything else.

Post #: 49
- 7/7/2001 1:21:00 AM   
Dan in Toledo

We should be able to choose what we produce. Every country had ships on the drawing board. We don't need to replicate that since none of us are experts in the design on ships. There were so many designs that were not used (US Montana class, UK Vanguard--built but never fired guns in anger), German 100k ton monster BB with 20" guns). If in the course of our games a need arises in certain areas (need more CVs, DDs, CAs, CLs, whatever) then we should be able to build them.

Post #: 50
- 7/8/2001 5:18:00 AM   
Greg Wilmoth

quote:

Originally posted by Dan in Toledo: We should be able to choose what we produce. Every country had ships on the drawing board. We don't need to replicate that since none of us are experts in the design on ships. There were so many designs that were not used (US Montana class, UK Vanguard--built but never fired guns in anger), German 100k ton monster BB with 20" guns). If in the course of our games a need arises in certain areas (need more CVs, DDs, CAs, CLs, whatever) then we should be able to build them.
Actually, most of us are experts on the design of ships. And you can be an expert too! Get yourself a copy of Norman Friedman's book "Battleship Design and Development" and you'll be designing super-dreadnoughts in no time! :D

Post #: 51
- 7/12/2001 8:47:00 AM   
Ringbolt

Hello,
quote:

Originally posted by Chiteng: So I assert to you all that a mere minor modification of any of the pre-war bills could have easily removed the 'bottlenecks' that you seem so comfortable with. I suggest to you that they could have just as easily NOT signed the Naval Armaments treaty and indulged in a intense build up of battleships. Along with this, they could easily have de-emphasized aircraft carriers.
My only disagreement is the Washington Treaty WAS signed, and IMO, far too early to be a part of this games scope. Even in a non-historic scenario I think you should be resticted to historical conditions at least from 1937, but probably 1939 would be better. I dont see any reason you should not be allowed to build Montanas since they were cancelled far after the start of the war and therefore you should have some control over that. If you ignore what actually did happen before the scope of this game, then as I see it, there is no point in it even being a historically based game. If there are not some historic restictions, even on a non-historic scenario, then it might as well be a space game. Ringbolt

LtCom: "Sgt. Lee, is that a Navy Cross I see you wearing?" Sgt. Lee: "No Sir, it's three."

Post #: 52
- 7/14/2001 9:56:00 AM   
moore4807

Ringbolt, you comment is mostly agreeable until you go onto say about it not being historical, then it might as well be a space game... Well YES, and no- First yes- you could ignore all physics laws and have superdreadnought flying ships assigned to Bull Halsey, or perhaps someone could make a game of the movie where the USS Nimitz goes back in time with Martin Sheen- youd probably find buyers for that market. Now NO!- the actual impression I get is the USA, Japan, Britain, and Germany along with the other WWII combatants were not expertly guiding the production and path of the war as though it was coreographed (bad misspelling -but you get the picture) It was build/try this and we think and pray to god it works... I understand how hard it is to try to model what-if into a game, but that is exactly why we havent stopped trying to improve computer gaming from Pong 20 years later, is it? Not trying to criticize, we just have to keep trying to expand the boundries to prevent stagnation Jim ;)

Post #: 53
- 7/14/2001 10:44:00 AM   
Greg Wilmoth

quote:

Originally posted by moore4807: . . . or perhaps someone could make a game of the movie where the USS Nimitz goes back in time with Martin Sheen- youd probably find buyers for that market.
Actually, the Australian company SSG did make a game out of it! It was a scenario to their Carriers at War computer game.

Post #: 54
- 7/14/2001 12:58:00 PM   
moore4807

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Wilmoth: Actually, the Australian company SSG did make a game out of it! It was a scenario to their Carriers at War computer game.
That I didn't know... So much for tongue in cheek humor huh!

Post #: 55
- 7/15/2001 5:41:00 AM   
Ringbolt

quote:

Originally posted by moore4807: Ringbolt, you comment is mostly agreeable until you go onto say about it not being historical, then it might as well be a space game...
Hello, Looks like we agree, because I was trying to be funny, and well, sarcasim doesn't come across in type well. On the "No" portion, I agree again. I think we as players should have adjustable degrees of control on what and when ships are built, my point is you have to draw the line somewhere where even the "loosest" scenario has to start. Otherwise you can say "IF Germany hadn't lost WWI they would have been in the Solomans with the Bizmark and the Tirpiz instead of the Japanese". IMO that should be '37 at the earliest and probably '39, after that you can build nothing but Liberty ships if you want. Ringbolt

LtCom: "Sgt. Lee, is that a Navy Cross I see you wearing?" Sgt. Lee: "No Sir, it's three."

Post #: 56
- 7/18/2001 6:20:00 PM   
moore4807

Well Ringbolt Looks like I owe you an apology then- I feel pretty much the same and misread the post... but it was not all without loss- I found out someone DID make a "game" scenario from the Sheen movie. so much for my sarcasm :D Jim

Post #: 57
- 7/19/2001 9:52:00 AM   
Ringbolt

No apology necessary. Maybe we should try to get Matrix to do a version of that game eh? I can see it now, Final Countdown: The Matrix Project. Ringbolt

Post #: 58
- 7/26/2001 2:35:00 AM   
Doug Olenick

The level of realism is the first decision that has to be made, and hopefully already has so the game is delivered on time. If War in the Pacific is to be historically based then the plane and ship types chosen by each government and available should be the only types used. For me the fun is figuring out how to make the most out of what you have. Maybe an "alternative history" scenario could be included where some of the ideas mentioned here are used. But my best suggestion is a game editor that allows the players to start the game with different troop and ship dispositions. Japan could bring the entire Combined Fleet to Pearly along with 10 divisions of infantry. The US could put the 24th and 25th Divisions into the Philipines, etc. What needs to be included are conditions, under which, the Japanese can be considered winners.

Post #: 59
- 7/31/2001 2:07:00 AM   
byron13

I have to throw in my two cents worth since I'd love to see a worthy replacement for PacWar. I've played PacWar a number of times, and I find that, as the American anyway, your strategies tend to be dictated by geography, Japanese AI, and available resources. The game got old as a result. You can't change geography, but you can design the game to be replayable. I hope Matrix is doing that. Variability is important to replayability. I would like to see some designs that were fairly final and ready for production - like the Montana. Certainly designing hulls from the bottom up like someone suggested is out of the question. But provide just a little bit of "what if" that isn't too far out of line and would have/could have come into existence but for one person's decision that was made based on one accurate/inaccurate conversation. Maybe you could select one or two hulls for each side and one or two airframes for each side that were real (final blueprints or prototype built) but not built. You could also throw in a little randomness in effectiveness so that, just as in reality, there may be an unnoticed flaw in the design. For example, if you decide to build the X-100 superfighter, there could be a maneuverability bell curve. Darn, just retooled all of my plants for this thing, and it isn't any better that a P-40! This isn't too complicated and easy to design in. You should also be able to speed up development of designs to a small extent. But provide a hefty penalty in resources or production for doing so. The biggest argument seems to be over the extent to which a person should be able to alter production. I side with Chiteng on this. Build 100,000 C-47's if you want. But the game has to be designed so that there are penalties for going to extremes. I don't know what is realistic, but if the Japanese want to convert cruisers to carriers, they should be allowed to - if they are willing to suffer the hopefully huge game-imposed delays for design and refit, the cost in materials, and tying up ship production/repair. And he also has to provide the planes and pilots to outfit the ship. Provide sufficient reality-based penalties for being extreme, and let me take it from there. Another possible solution for extreme production may be the AI's responses to production. I know AI is terribly time intensive, and no one is ever satisfied. But, for example, if the Allies produce only carriers and no destoyers, the Japanese AI produces more submarines. Allies concentrate on bombers? Fine, the AI builds more fighters. Or the AI could follow one of several possible "master plans" of production where it emphasizes a certain kind of production and fighting strategy. Wouldn't it be a shocker if the Japanese focused on submarines? Or long range bombers? Keeps you on your toes and also requires you to at least prepare for that eventuality by building sufficient numbers of everything to counter a potential threat. And that is not unrealistic. What is unrealistic is re-fighting the war perfect hindsight knowledge we now have. I don't like playing a game where I know the aircraft carrier will be king, and that Japan will produce only X number after the war starts but that I will Essex class carriers coming out of my arse. It's too predictable. I think a simulation should at least provide the option for me to play under the same uncertainties as my real life counterparts. Provide enough uncertainty that I'm not willing to put all of my eggs into one basket. Anyway, I'm in favor of being able to alter production within the classes of materiel provided. Being able to put Merlins in P-40's is a little too micro-detailed, but if there's a class of ship available, I should be able to produce as much as I want/can. Just make sure that I'm realistically penalized in time and resources for doing it. Even design in random delays for unforeseen problems when retooling a production line or converting a hull. Kaiser pulled off a great trick with the jeep carriers, but what if there was an inherent flaw in the design that addes six months to production? I'd like that kind of uncertainty to enter into my calculations and provide a "bird in the hand, two in the bush" dilemma. Bottom line: risk v. reward. Provide enough risk that extreme production may be punished and provides incentive for us as gamers, as we do in real life, to avoid placing all of our eggs in one basket. As for variable set up, I'm for that too. The Japanese should absolutely be able to do so since they have the initiative and should be able to tailor their force mix and disposition to match any strategy. As the Allies, I'd like to be able to do that too just to provide some "what if" potential. Personally, I would stick to the historical set-up so that I am dealt the same cards as in real life. You won't find me bragging online about how I placed everything in the Philippines and beat the Japanese in two months. But it may be someone else's cup of tea. Actually, in thinking about it, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to satisfy both sides. Simply provide a choice for either historical or optional production and set-up. Optional production would certainly be easy to do. Does anyone at Matrix listen to us anyway?

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI