Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tanks and Arty

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Tanks and Arty Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tanks and Arty - 9/23/2004 7:43:19 PM   
Cpt.Buckmaster

Hey all...

First off, my apologies if this has been discussed four times before in four other threads (I'd appreciate a link if anybody remembers).

Here's the deal: I'm in the middle of planning a large invasion of 'The Shortlands' in 1943 and it's my first large-scale operation that hasn't been planned and set up by a scenario. I was wondering if it's a good idea to land a tank and arty division along with my troops or are they better used on a land assault (like in New Guinea). Also, if I do end up sending them to the shortlands, should I have them attack first before I order the troops forward? Any general tank and/or arty advice would be awesome!

Thanks!

"In life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard!"-Theodore Roosevelt
Post #: 1
RE: Tanks and Arty - 9/23/2004 8:02:31 PM   
Feinder

I've got it in my head that Armored units can only be used on Road/Rail hexes, but I could be wrong. And it might let you, since Shortlands is only a one-hex island.

Frankly, I've never seen anything convining that Armor really makes a major difference. The whole mess ig calc'd from the assault value (which armored units tend to have higher). But if you have an Armored Rgt with and Assault Value of 200, and an Infantry Div with an Assault Value of 200, I don't think it really matters much.

Be advised that Armor and Arty are better loaded onto AKs, than APs (since they're more equipment than men). Just know keep that in mind when you go to transport them.

Also, make sure your units have PrePoints of 100 when you invade, it lowers your losses considerably.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Cpt.Buckmaster)
Post #: 2
RE: Tanks and Arty - 9/23/2004 11:50:58 PM   
dereck

Dumb question but ... "PrePoints" and where would I find out what a unit's "PrePoints" are?

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Tanks and Arty - 9/24/2004 12:35:52 AM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

I've got it in my head that Armored units can only be used on Road/Rail hexes, but I could be wrong. And it might let you, since Shortlands is only a one-hex island.

Frankly, I've never seen anything convining that Armor really makes a major difference. The whole mess ig calc'd from the assault value (which armored units tend to have higher). But if you have an Armored Rgt with and Assault Value of 200, and an Infantry Div with an Assault Value of 200, I don't think it really matters much.

Be advised that Armor and Arty are better loaded onto AKs, than APs (since they're more equipment than men). Just know keep that in mind when you go to transport them.

Also, make sure your units have PrePoints of 100 when you invade, it lowers your losses considerably.

-F-

Tanks are very useful if used in the correct fashion.. I use most of my IJA tanks in Burma/India and China as they offer the best return for their use... Using tanks against any (good) dug in infantry will slaughter your tanks, as the infantry will use AT and Artillery against the tanks from prepared positions to good effect... But...

1. The chinese have very little artillery and AT weapons so tanks work good against them
2. Movement is slow and tanks enable you to encircle your enemy and surround them
3. Tanks on the defensive really maul infantry attacks
4. Disorganized tanks are about useless (invasions with tanks are not that great)
5. UK forces gets / has tanks, so you need to counter them with your own tanks

I have yet to use tank-only units in any sort of beach invasion as I feel they get clobbered too easily from AT / Arty fire... But tanks can run down fleeing allied units early and allow you to cut around and cut them off in both Burma / India and China effectively.. Plus dug-in tanks are hard to kill with pure infantry..

All of my observations have been seen/made in my game experience and I am not relying on any info from the designers on what advantages tanks actually offer... But I like defending with tanks... enemy casualties tend to be high..

Xargun

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Tanks and Arty - 9/24/2004 12:58:17 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: dereck

Dumb question but ... "PrePoints" and where would I find out what a unit's "PrePoints" are?

Prep Points. The location that a unit is planning to fight in. LCU info screen, lower right.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 5
RE: Tanks and Arty - 9/24/2004 1:01:53 AM   
BRZ

And what about AT units in the second invasion wave?

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 6
RE: Tanks and Arty - 9/24/2004 8:06:14 PM   
Cpt.Buckmaster

Well, looks like I should give it a shot. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

"In life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard!"-Theodore Roosevelt

(in reply to BRZ)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Tanks and Arty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI