Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How are your campaigns going?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> How are your campaigns going? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How are your campaigns going? - 10/9/2004 10:21:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hey,

Just curious how things are going for you in your campaign. I realize most of you have only had the game for a day, but there must be some stories out there. I had a fun multi-player game of Thebes this morning with a new owner of the game. For his first game, he did very well and it was touch and go for me from Turns 12 - 20.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: How are your campaigns going? - 10/10/2004 4:52:40 AM   
Black Cat

Well started the first Battle in the Campaign game, no problems in Installing or playing and I`d like to say a very nice looking and easy to use interface and a well written, and thankfully an easy to understand short manual. ( My Printer Thanks You )

I took a major loss in the first battle, no doubt through my forgetting to use the Strat Cards
but also because Nicanor`s fresh Sword Unit which I was moving to an AI units Flank, took 8 shots from the Archers on the wall during the AI`s phases, before I reached my Command phase wherin I could use them. The hits just finished it as a unit. That seemed a little excessive from our side... . The fact I got Alex`s Unit killed off didn`t help either.

Some questions:

How do I know the range of the Missle units ?

The map elevations are for me, a bit hard see, how critical are they in Game play for other then missle units ?

First Impressions: I _Really_ like the whole Game concept, unit Art Work and interface, most import is that very first, and for me always accurate feeling that I will enjoy playing. I think you have a Winner here.

< Message edited by Black Cat -- 10/10/2004 2:54:00 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: How are your campaigns going? - 10/10/2004 5:40:28 AM   
Erik Rutins

Black Cat,

Great to hear, glad you are enjoying it. A few comments and answers:

The archers in Thebes are particularly effective because they are up on the city walls and often firing at close range when Alexander is trying to take that objective. To check the range of your missile unit, just click on the ranged attack order and drag the arrow around. If it's out of range, you'll see that it has a red mark across it - in range it looks normal.

Nicanor's unit has light armor, which is also what archers like to see. Your Heavy or Medium armor units will do better near the walls.

The elevations are pretty simply a +/-1 modifier, if you look at the others you can see that it's helpful but not critical. If you have trouble seeing the elevations, you can also turn on the height map to make the heights more clear (just click on the "H" in the interface).

My best advice on Thebes is to try to destroy enough Thebans whlie still out of range of the archers that you can either break the rest of the army quickly or succeed in your first push to the flag. You can't afford to stay around there very long, fighting back and forth while the arrows rain down on your units. A quick, organized push gives the best results, in my opinion. If you push the Thebans back quickly enough against their own walls, they will also be forced to surrender, which will clear things out in a hurry.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 3
RE: How are your campaigns going? - 10/10/2004 5:48:44 AM   
mbelew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black Cat

I took a major loss in the first battle, no doubt through my forgetting to use the Strat Cards
but also because Nicanor`s fresh Sword Unit which I was moving to an AI units Flank, took 8 shots from the Archers on the wall during the AI`s phases, before I reached my Command phase wherin I could use them. The hits just finished it as a unit. That seemed a little excessive from our side... . The fact I got Alex`s Unit killed off didn`t help either.

I've been playing for some time, and I still take losses at Thebes. One thing you can try is to make sure your units keep moving when they are near the flag area. Make sure that you dont hang a unit out to dry, move your entire army to the flag in order to take it quickly. The range of the archers equal to somewhere around 4 movement spaces. Thebes archers might seem like they can shoot farther, but they can't. The illusion lies in the fact that they are sitting on a wall.

quote:

First Impressions: I _Really_ like the whole Game concept, unit Art Work and interface, most import is that very first, and for me always accurate feeling that I will enjoy playing. I think you have a Winner here.

Thanks! This comment made my day.

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 4
RE: How are your campaigns going? - 10/10/2004 5:56:45 AM   
Marathon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

My best advice on Thebes is to try to destroy enough Thebans whlie still out of range of the archers that you can either break the rest of the army quickly or succeed in your first push to the flag. You can't afford to stay around there very long, fighting back and forth while the arrows rain down on your units. A quick, organized push gives the best results, in my opinion. If you push the Thebans back quickly enough against their own walls, they will also be forced to surrender, which will clear things out in a hurry.

Regards,

- Erik

I learned this hard way playing Erik in game. I had most of his Thebians pinned against the city walls and almost captured the objective but got slaughtered by those archers.

Erik likes to pick on newbies. Actually, it was really fun and helped me with some tips.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: How are your campaigns going? - 10/10/2004 6:27:26 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marathon
Erik likes to pick on newbies. Actually, it was really fun and helped me with some tips.

Heh, almost missed this one. Glad you had fun Jason.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Marathon)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> How are your campaigns going? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI