Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 12/14/2001 9:04:00 AM   
Caltone

Merry Christmas everyone. Joel, reading the manual would indeed be a nice Christmas present!

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 31
- 12/14/2001 9:06:00 AM   
madflava13

I personally would love to see the manual now... I think it would do a lot to tide people over until the game is ready to be released. If its possible without too much of a hassle, I say post it.
Thanks again - can't say it enough - this is the game I think a lot of us have been waiting for for a long time.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 32
- 12/14/2001 2:46:00 PM   
Enforcer_TM

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE MANUAL as would 8 of my friends around the country that I am gonna be playing

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 33
- 12/14/2001 8:41:00 PM   
David Heath

Hi Guys The manual is being written now and rewritten as we get near the end of this project. I do not expect that there would be enough time to get a manual out before the game is done. I know its hard to wait but it will be worth it.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 34
- 12/14/2001 10:11:00 PM   
Paul Goodman

Seasons Greeting to All: Joel: Thanks for the posts. Just curious... The Beginning Ends and Decision in the South Pacific have the same beginning and ending dates; what is the difference? It appears that many of the scenarios begin with a major battle (Coral Sea, Midway, Santa Cruz, etc.) judging by the starting dates and end in December '43. Are actual historical events presumed up to the starting point? Paul

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 35
- 12/14/2001 10:20:00 PM   
Rich Dionne

Paul, "The Beginning Ends" covers the period 1 May 42 through 31 Dec 42 (Coral Sea - Guadalcanal campaigns). "Decision in the South Pacific" has the same start date but ends a year later on 31 Dec 43 (Coral Sea - Bougainville campaigns). In most cases, actual historical events are presumed up to the scenario starting point. A notable exception is "Clash of Titans". In this one, both sides will have all their carrier forces (no Coral Sea or Midway carrier battles) so they can slug it out in the South Pacific. Regards, Rich Dionne [ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Rich Dionne ]

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 36
- 12/14/2001 11:51:00 PM   
Paul Goodman

Thanks, Rich. I did, indeed, misread the ending date for those two. Clash of Titans sounds awesome. Quite an opportunity for the allied player to really screw things up! Hmmm, how to defend the supply line from Pearl and US? Saih Maayt, you're not leavin' town, are you? Paul

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 37
- 12/16/2001 1:07:00 AM   
rough

Perhaps you need some beta testers? I volunteer and assure you to test it thorougly. Maybe those who waited so long should get a discount, I waited since the original PacWar came out.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 38
- 12/17/2001 11:10:00 AM   
Crocky

And if you are going to need beta testers they should come from the South Pacific region

Mike Blair CROCKY

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 39
- 12/20/2001 1:41:00 PM   
Supervisor

I agree with everyone else's comments in reference to the issue of this game's shipping date. I'd rather the thing is done right than done fast. The "real world" companies aren't doing these kind of games anymore because the economics do not make sense for them. Matrix, Shrapnel, Battlefront, HPS and Schwerpunkt are doing a great job of providing games for their select audiences. Also, I've noticed that most of the "big" game companies like Sierra, Interplay, Talonsoft and SSI seem to be having problems supporting their products and remaining finacially solvent.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 40
- 12/23/2001 1:01:00 AM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath:
I know its hard to wait but it will be worth it.
But I told Santa I wanted this game for Christmas. You are going to be in real trouble with the man.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 41
- 12/24/2001 7:09:00 AM   
USSMaine

I asked for Uncommon Valor for Christmas too......maybe for valentines day instead ;-)

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 42
- 12/25/2001 5:54:00 AM   
moore4807

Tongue in cheek humor attempt... " You can always purchase a holiday gift certificate from Matrix games - for that
long-a-coming much anticipated release day..." I'm sure that piece of paper will be treasured for two or three months til release day! LOL, Merry X mas everyone, thank god its almost over

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 43
- 12/28/2001 3:11:00 PM   
Coachace

I realize this post is belated, but I wanted to cast my words of support. I typically get more out of reading the posts here than posting my own words, but I had to say something. Gamers like Catdaddy need to see a game in a box on a shelf with lots of glitzy pictures and a heavy manual giving the package a good weighty feel. That's how I judged games back when I began gaming back in the late 70s. Although, come to think about it, those were board games... I judged pc games the same, though, in the mid-80s. Welcome to the year 2002! Thanks for keeping the quality where it belongs ... in the CODE ... I promise not to heft the CD too much when it gets to my hands. (I can always print out the manual for PacWar for a work out!) Cheers! Put me down for one when it's released. (Yeah, I know! Get in line at the store...)

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 44
- 12/28/2001 8:53:00 PM   
Paul Goodman

I note from a post on Military Gamer that Joel Billings states that 2by3 has been able to reduce the UV effort and place some assets back on their East Front game. That sounds real positive, I think, that UV is very close to completion. Of course, if they had given up on UV, those assets would also be available.... Nahhhh. Paul

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 45
- 12/29/2001 4:14:00 PM   
Joel Billings

Yes, Gary has been spending some quality time on East Front as Keith and Mike have been finishing their work on UV. Gary is still putting in some time on UV as needed to fix a few bugs here and there, but it's mostly up to Keith and Mike now, so Gary can get some East Front work done. We're still not at a full beta yet, but we're hopefully not more than a few weeks away from that. -Joel

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 46
- 12/29/2001 10:04:00 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

Originally posted by Crocky:
And if you are going to need beta testers they should come from the South Pacific region

As beta tester I would recommend someone unbiased, i.e. someone not connected with the SoPac, US, Commonwealth or Japan - what about a damn Kraut?

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 47
- 12/30/2001 5:41:00 AM   
Paul Goodman

Hey Joel: Kinda figured you were on R&R. Read the 2by3 page on MilitaryGamer, would you? I have a question. Paul

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 48
- 12/30/2001 7:02:00 AM   
Joel Billings

Enforced R&R due to my @home going down. But I'm back up again after a 3 hour hold for tech support (after a day of busy signals - I only got through to a live person when I didn't admit to being from a newly migrated area). I laugh when I see people complain about bad game tech support. The problems I've had with my cable modem support over the past 2 companies and 3 systems makes any bad game tech support look great in comparison. Well, now I can get back to work. Luckily, Keith, Mike and Gary have all been working this week. - Joel

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 49
- 12/30/2001 9:52:00 AM   
moore4807

Amen to the Comcast/@Home fiasco, Still think Comcast/AT&T should have just sweetened the offer and took @Home in its entirety... I was down two days and when I got thru to a "live" person, she was nice-but clueless-about what to do.
I think I knew more than she did about getting Comcast to load- still took 3 hours and I could'nt go Tier-2 because the lines were tied up... as you were saying about Customer Support Joel??? I didnt think it meant me helping Comcast to do its job! VBG!!!!

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 50
- 1/9/2002 1:49:00 AM   
Zakhal()

Am so bored to pacwar. Played it since -92 and i just cant stand another round. Ive tried almost every other pacific war game there is but non has ever come even close. Theres way too few grand scale games of this theater. Wish the release would be near. Im getting so desparete allready that if i could get a desing tool like Aide de CampII or The War Engine somwhere id make my own game abt pacific war. [ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Zakhal() ]

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 51
- 1/11/2002 12:57:00 AM   
David Heath

We are planning on some new screenshots soon and maybe even a AVI movie of the game play. We are all really trying for a March Release but it not set in stone.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 52
- 1/11/2002 3:02:00 AM   
magresh

Take your time and do the best you can. Some of us will wait patiently and some of us will start crying for your heads and threatening to go "somewhere else?" The game will be another notch up from the last game of this magnitude and there will always be room for improvement for the next generation of games. Magresh

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 53
- 1/11/2002 3:33:00 AM   
Basement Command

OK. I've heard enough that I am done lurkin'. I also discovered Matrix, Uncommon Valor and War in the Pacific while scrounging the net for someting like Pac War, which is still one of the very few computer war games of any real complexity that allow the player full operational/strategic control over the course of a war. I had briefly returned to Pac War itself but found that over the passing years I must have become spoiled by the advances in gaming. Specifcally, I found I did not have the patience to re-learn the multiple menu driven Pac-War interface. Of course, I was thrilled to see that the exact game I was looking for, an updated and cleaner Windows based Pac-War like game was in development. In fact it was Grigsby himself developing the game. What more could I ask for. (Wait for Chorus "For the game to be released!") OK Granted. BUT. If what I want is a cleaner, easier to play version of Pac War which still reatins all the complexity at the strategic/operational level of the original, why in the world would I want to badger the game developer into rushing the game out the door? Does that not run the risk of getting a successor to Pac War that does not live up to my expectations? Release the game when you think it is ready guys.

Now, while we are also discussing other "serious" war game companies, let me endorse the kudos offered in this forum for BTS. Great stuff there. Dont overlook HPS either!! This is another gaming company for serious wargamers, guys who like to think rather than twitch their way to victory, guys more concerened with how well the game mirrors the decision making faced by field commanders than with big explosions and eye-candy. This is also where John Tiller, the best Civil War Game eveloper extant, and formerly of the Talonsoft Battleground series, has taken up residence and continued his 18th and 19th century wargaming design efforts. Try HPS as someplace to look for a game to tide you over while you are waiting for the release of UV.

One more point. It sure is nice to see companies like Matrix (2by3) and HPS releasing games that do not require so much computing overhead. I don't have to contemplate an upgrade to my system every time a new game is released by these companies. The difference between most computer gaming companies and X-Box/Playstaion games is becoming smaller and smaller.

The only skills I have the patience to learn are those that have no practical application in real life.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 54
- 1/11/2002 3:33:00 AM   
daniel123

When you are about a month away from release will you be taking orders? This would get the game out to gamers here and help in planning the size of games you will be shipping.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 55
- 1/11/2002 4:12:00 AM   
Zakhal()

quote:

Originally posted by Basement Command:

In fact it was Grigsby himself developing the game. What more could I ask for.

Even Grigsby can fail. And badly. Ever tried his title battle of britain? Though im sure that that wont happen with UV

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 56
- 1/12/2002 6:59:00 AM   
byron13

Gee, Zak, I enjoyed Battle of Britain. Enjoyed his Twelve O'Clock High game even more. If you'll notice, the screen shots of Uncommon Valor and War in the Pacific have screens that look very much like BoB/BTR. My guess is that the air system in both UV and WiP are going to be the same as in BoB and BTR. Sorry, guy.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 57
- 1/12/2002 1:26:00 PM   
moore4807

Byron,
How ya doin?...
On the GG game 12 o'Clock High, The map was the dagger, the slllooowww gameplay was the slice thru the jugular, I was probably more dissapointed with that game's promise than any other I can remember. I can live with slow gameplay with UV- early looks seem to alleviate the mapping problem, gameplay and ease of controls... wait n see.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 58
- 1/13/2002 12:43:00 AM   
madflava13

Byron- Are you the same Byron that posts over on JC's TOH board?
For the rest of the guys talking about 12 O'Clock high, it was a disappointment when it came out, but there is an active support community and several patches and OB updates have been made. I can't remember the link offhand, but if you go to Grognard.com, then pick the second "web site" link, it will bring you to the board and the update files. Its a great game now, I promise.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 59
- 1/14/2002 6:35:00 PM   
USSMaine

The link to the BTR/12 O'Clock High site is
http://pages.prodigy.net/jeanluc200/ It has an active forum and the game is very much alive due to the support of some supremely wonderful people. And I enjoyed BOB....was a great warm up for BTR. BOB/BTR are not for the faint of heart.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI