Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Impressions from a Beta Tester

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> First Impressions from a Beta Tester Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Impressions from a Beta Tester - 2/1/2002 10:54:00 PM   
Snigbert

I just started playing last night as part of the Final Beta Phase, and let me tell you that this game is really cool. I was glued to the computer for hours before my fiance came by, wiped some of the drool from my chin and told me I should get some sleep because I had to get up for work in a couple hours. Here are some initial impressions. Keep in mind I have no affiliation with Matrix or 2BY3 aside from them letting me test the game. 1. The map is really beautiful. I was playing on 1024x768 with a 19" monitor, and I spent a lot of time just moving around the map admiring how nicely the art was done. Screenshots dont do it justice. 2. I had a hard time finding bugs, it's obvious they've spent a lot of time working out the problems. Very stable, never crashed or anything on me. 3. The database of ships and planes is very large, I couldn't think of a type of ship or aircraft that wasn't included (even the often forgotten ones) 4. There is a lot going on, but you can set certain aspects of the game for computer control to make things more managable if you are inclined to do so. 5. Combat is really interesting to watch, and models very closely the kind of results you would expect. Anyway, sit tight and the game will be available soon. I think you'll all like it. Matt

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the
Post #: 1
- 2/2/2002 12:02:00 AM   
Elvis1965

Matt Appreciate the insight. I was hoping someone would post some initial impressions. Anything else that struck you? What tools allow you to decrease the micro-manage aspects? Thanks

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 2
- 2/2/2002 1:00:00 AM   
Snigbert

We're not supposed to discuss features too much per the NDA. Some of the more routine things (which some people might find a nuisance?) can be put under computer control.

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 3
- 2/2/2002 2:06:00 AM   
DougAngle

Thanks Snigbert! I really appreciate the update. Can't wait! Credit card in hand, just waitin' for the word!

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 4
- 2/2/2002 3:35:00 AM   
Joel Billings

I don't think you have to worry about the NDA in reference to talking about the game in the Matrix forum. You can set subs to be run by computer (with the ability to change their deployment anytime). You can set up automated convoy runs, and give the computer control of replenishment TF's and cargo TF's so they can do what they think is necessary. All the air units can be given just general orders with their picking what they consider the best targets for their strikes instead of having to pick a specific target all the time. Joel

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 5
- 2/2/2002 4:00:00 AM   
Elvis1965

Matt Did a scenario editor make it into your test version? How many total scenarios are included? Seemed like a dozen or so were mentioned previously... Thanks

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 6
- 2/2/2002 4:09:00 AM   
Snigbert

I believe there were 17 or 18 scenarios, but one is set up for beta testing purposes. I didn't see a scenario editor but I wasn't looking for one either. There are empty slots in the scenario list which suggests more could be added.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 7
- 2/2/2002 5:12:00 AM   
Reiryc

How much do you find that youre clicking? My only beef (and believe me I can beef about alot) about pacwar was that I was constantly clicking...wrist was tired and sore alot after putting that game through its paces many years ago and in the recent past with the windows version. So do you find youre clicking on menu after menu after menu like pacwar? Or are things a bit more intuitive? Reiryc

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 8
- 2/2/2002 5:42:00 AM   
tiredoftryingnames

The interface is 1000 times better. The old menu system of Pacwar is basically non existent here.
Look at the first screenshot that is posted for UV which is public knowledge.
You get that information screen for your task force and a similar one for squadrons and land units. Those arrows you see are the options you have. With a few clicks you can set your task force up to do what you want and operate within the limits you set. Or you can leave it on the defaults. The choice is yours. When you want to set a destination or home port the interface takes you to the map, you click the hex you want and it returns you to the information screen. You're done. Next!
No bringing up a menu to do this or do that like the old system. To sum it up. It's Sweet. Jason

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 9
- 2/2/2002 6:05:00 AM   
Paul Goodman

Jason: You and I are practically neighbors. What neighborhood does the beta.... er, ah, I mean what neighborhood do you live in? I'm in Sandie Point on the Western Branch. Paul

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 10
- 2/2/2002 6:42:00 AM   
tiredoftryingnames

Silverwood. We are practically neighbors. Jason

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 11
- 2/2/2002 6:54:00 AM   
Reiryc

Ahh good.... Can't wait for this thing to come out....glad to hear on the less menu clicks =) Reiryc

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 12
- 2/2/2002 8:00:00 AM   
Dunedain

The game is sounding really great. One thing I am wondering about is file security for PBEM (and TCP/IP games that
have to be resumed). Are the multi-player files for PBEM password protected so that
the enemy can't access your files and see the game from your forces' side? Also, does UV use a system like Combat Mission where files are password protected
and neither you nor your opponent get to see the results of any turn's actions
until after you have both given orders and the turn can't be "reprocessed" in an
effort to get a better combat result before sending the next turn to your opponent? This requires more file swaps, but is the only way I know of to ensure no cheating
can be done with how the files are sent back and forth. In other words, you never
get to see the results of the current turn's combat until after your orders are
locked in and there is no way for you to change those results. This is a critical issue. The last thing we want to have to worry about is cheating.
With a secure passworded file system in place like in Combat Mission, it's not
anything we even have to think about.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 13
- 2/2/2002 8:07:00 AM   
Joel Billings

Yes and yes. Password protected and won't execute turn until second player returns to first player. First player watches, makes another move and sends that move and the VCR to the second player. No cheating. We have a bug currently with the system but expect to have it fixed by the time we release. Joel

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 14
- 2/2/2002 8:16:00 AM   
Dunedain

That's great news, Joel! You can enjoy a game so much more when you know your
opponent can't cheat. It's just something you don't have to waste a second thinking
about, and instead can focus on strategy. Good job on the file security issue! Too bad not all computer games are so secure... [ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: Dunedain ]

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 15
- 2/2/2002 9:08:00 AM   
Reiryc

Ok what's the scoop with japanese carriers in this one? In pacwar one of the things that used to bother me was that the capacity would show, say 84 aircraft but they would only load 72.... Now I realize there are historical reasons, but if there are, then why put the cap at 84? So in this version can we actually get the carriers to load to their capacity...as in is their some kind of override feature to make them do so? Reiryc

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 16
- 2/2/2002 10:33:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Elvis1965:
Matt Did a scenario editor make it into your test version?
Thanks

There is a scenario editor. Its a lot like the SPWaW one (surprise, surprise!). I can edit ship armor, turrets, ammo, name, exp, morale, leaders admin & aggressiveness data & LOTS more!

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 17
- 2/2/2002 1:50:00 PM   
Dgold

Just a note about the length of scenarios. I just finished my second Coral Sea scenario in about 1.5 hours, whereas my first game took over 2 hours. The game becomes very easy to play, but difficult to master, in a short period of time. The heavy manual scared me at first, but after a quick read and playing a scenario, I am very comfortable with the game.
I have played just about every computer wargame ever published and this is by far the best - clean, elegant, historically accurate with beautiful graphics. Dgold
Beta Tester

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 18
- 2/2/2002 4:37:00 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

My only beef (and believe me I can beef about alot) about pacwar was that I was constantly clicking...wrist was tired and sore
We plan to ship icecubes with the game . No, the interface is very intuitive IMHO. You´ll face the standard clicking for viewing menus, databases and overview screens. Assigning targets to the ships and planes by clicking on the map. Hotkeys make your live easier also.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 19
- 2/2/2002 11:26:00 PM   
Snigbert

I also find that it is easier to play than PacWar. More complex, but easier to handle. In PacWar, I would execute a turn and then spend a bunch of time sending out new orders, checking the status on things, etc.
In this game I spend some time at the beginning setting orders, then executing turns and watching the results. However, because of the variable phase lengths you dont have to immediately go back and issue orders to everything again, you can just check out what is going on, make minor tweaks if neccessary and then execute again.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 20
- 2/2/2002 11:27:00 PM   
Snigbert

If that last post was total gibberish (haven't had my coffee yet), I'm trying to say that the flow of the game is much smoother than PacWar.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 21
- 2/3/2002 12:10:00 AM   
Reiryc

Hehe...I got the point of the post and I'm glad to hear it... Looking forward to receiving ice cubes with the game too =p Any word on fighter capacity of the japanese carriers? Do they fill up to full capacity or do they stop short as was historical and like pac war? If so, any way to force the game to fill them up? Reiryc

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 22
- 2/3/2002 12:28:00 AM   
rough44

I thought real wargaming started and ended with PacWar, then Combat Mission came out, and now this... life is full of surprises. I'm curious about those fortifications and coastal batteries? Any experiences yet? I read several surface battle descriptions and the results seem to be quite realistic... how are they really? this was one of the more serious failings of PacWar. I also understand that the entire industry model (producing planes etc) is not a part of Uncommon Valour? or is it? How exatcly are the amphibious landings modeled? Can they be nicely "interrupted" by a night surface action? simply give me more...

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 23
- 2/3/2002 12:29:00 AM   
ratster

How does the variable phase timimg work? What determines the length of a given phase?

" If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Clan [GOAT]

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 24
- 2/3/2002 1:54:00 AM   
Zakhal()

Sounds great! Finally a game worth playing for.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 25
- 2/3/2002 2:53:00 AM   
Von Rom

Will there be a full printed manual (paper one that is)? Or will the manual be in pdf format (I hope not). The game is sounding terrific

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 26
- 2/3/2002 6:34:00 AM   
Larry Holt

Only PDF it looks like. Its 117 pages or so. I printed it out on both sides and put it in a 3 ring binder which works well.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 27
- 2/3/2002 9:02:00 AM   
Dunedain

I don't see why we wouldn't get a real manual. Big Time Software was just a two-man
operation and they included a professionally printed manual for Combat Mission.
And the fans have roundly praised BTS for the quality of the manual. If we are going to be paying full price like you would expect to pay for any
top quality game at a local software store ($40-50 or so), then I would think we
should be getting a real manual. I don't mind paying top price for a quality
game, but I do expect to get a thorough printed manual. Especially for a detailed
wargame like this (you don't expect much of a manual with Quake, because there's
nothing to it but run around and kill things ). I'd even pay an extra 5 or 10 bucks just to get a professionally printed manual.
And considering that Matrix sells it's games direct, which means overhead is kept
to a bare minimum, I don't think it's asking too much in the way of extra expense
to include a real manual. As I said, at least give us the option to pay extra to get a real manual with UV,
for the many of us that no doubt will want one. I will *gladly* give Matrix an extra 5 or 10 dollars, if that's what it
takes to get an official manual with a nice front and back cover, and a table
of contents and an appendix. Just make it an option on the order form for UV.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 28
- 2/3/2002 9:36:00 AM   
Bulldog61

In answer to the question what change the cycles, its an option switch on the options menu. Default is 1 day but set it from 1 to 7 or continous. I just have to echo what some of the other Beta Testers have been saying, the game is very easy to play the interface is faily intuitive allowing you to concentrate on making your decisions, ie. how much sea lift do I need to move the 1st Marine Division to Guadalcanal. You can air transport units, though this is done over a period of several days. Equipment to heavy to be airlifted can be moved by sea and then married up with its parent unit. The system is very stable. I have yet to see it crash and I've even alt tabbed out of it several time to do something on my desktop. It resumed just fine (I've played several games that didn't do this) I'm running XP Pro so if your worried about that, don't. well back to playing ...er testing, I may have to break tonight to get some sleep though! Mike

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 29
- 2/3/2002 11:01:00 AM   
stretch

Well I have to chime in, this is too exciting to sit by and not ask questions. My #1 beef with PacWar (the greatest WWII Pacific game ever.. thanks, Gary!) was that I could set airgoups to attack ships in port and they would instead decide to attack land units. A port does not move, the ships are there, so there is no reason for the planes to do otherwise wihtout a court martial. I can understand TF's being missed, etc. In late 1945 allied planes would ignore a tokyo bay full of ships and go for factories EVERY SINGLE TURN!! Is this now resoved? Will the planes actually follow orders and hit a target that is stationary and can't fail to be found?

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> First Impressions from a Beta Tester Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI