Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Europa Universalis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Europa Universalis Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Europa Universalis - 1/24/2005 2:22:28 PM   
ravinhood

Speaking of "Colonization", you know what I hate most about it?

When it's over! heh It's so much fun, and plays so much quicker than Civilization that it's over before I want it to be, wish yah didn't have to rush to Independence or there was a way around it so I could just keep building up my empire. ;)

Sid Meier makes the greatest strategy games of all time, no question about it. I get lost in time playing all of them.

(in reply to Hoplosternum)
Post #: 31
RE: Europa Universalis - 1/28/2005 10:06:40 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ozie

While EU2 is great same can't be said of some other Paradox titles. Victoria even with latest patches is still a mess. If you wont to divide your group of divisions you end up loosing the new parted group in to thin air if you didn't remember to push the pause button before doing it!!

How is that for a great feature!

Your kidding, Vicky is my fave game ever.

And I've never had any bug problems with it at all, though I have read horror stories quite a few times about it. They missed out a few features in the first release - tanks and gas attacks didnt work so in the late WW1 style game it was almost impossible to attack and you had massive battles of attrition - but I found that quite cool in a bizarre way, having huge front lines of units spread out across Europe where if you attack your attack efficiency is at 4% and you get cut to pieces.

With the gas and tanks working you just raise a vast number of Bengali tank regiments as Britain and stomp Germany - or anybody else - flat.

(in reply to Ozie)
Post #: 32
RE: Europa Universalis - 1/28/2005 10:09:32 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Speaking of "Colonization", you know what I hate most about it?

When it's over! heh It's so much fun, and plays so much quicker than Civilization that it's over before I want it to be, wish yah didn't have to rush to Independence or there was a way around it so I could just keep building up my empire. ;)

Sid Meier makes the greatest strategy games of all time, no question about it. I get lost in time playing all of them.

I still have Colonization installed.

Kiss my pinky ring.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 33
Colonization Rules - 1/29/2005 7:08:02 AM   
meyerg

Also remember to crank out your elder statesman, expert lumberjacks, master carpenters, master blacksmiths, master preachers, and expert fisherman. Colonization rules, the Dutch are the best at the hardest level.
Don't you love that fountain of youth.
An awesome game that fits on 3 3.5 inch disks (like Warlords 2, another awesome game).
Greg

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 34
RE: Colonization Rules - 1/29/2005 10:45:59 AM   
Hertston

Hehe.. there's a blast from the past. I thought Colonisation (I had the Amiga version) was wonderful, and preferred it to any of the Civilisation games.

BTW, Warlords 2 lives again as a Pocket PC game, for those who have one. Details **HERE**

EDIT: I see they are selling a desktop version too (free for PDA version owners)

< Message edited by Hertston -- 1/29/2005 3:58:35 PM >

(in reply to meyerg)
Post #: 35
RE: Colonization Rules - 2/11/2005 4:52:48 PM   
Bluestew0

I was a beta for HOI and am currently one for HOI2. I loved the EU series. I was also one of the many players drooling over the release of Victoria. As some have mentioned previously, Victoria is most definately an aquired taste (I also loved the Imperialism series and wished for someone to expand on that). I was expecting a war strategy game set in the colonial era. What I feel I received was a strange video lesson on economics. With the first patch, once you learned the secrets of the economy, you could become a military powerhouse with most any nation and kick butt, that was fun for a bit. After the 2nd patch, the game was all about trying to get an extra piece of paper so you could convert one of your population to make an extra .4 units of food or something. Supporting your military or any military ventures was a PITA.

Some people really like the game but I found very little in the way of strategy about it. It was more a game of micromanaging a strange economy system than competing for colonies around the globe. I have a nice retail copy of Victoria with the box and now next to useless manual....I'll ship it to the first person who gives me an address. I won't be playing it again.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 36
RE: Colonization Rules - 2/11/2005 5:10:37 PM   
Black Cat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Hehe.. there's a blast from the past. I thought Colonisation (I had the Amiga version) was wonderful, and preferred it to any of the Civilisation games.

BTW, Warlords 2 lives again as a Pocket PC game, for those who have one. Details **HERE**

EDIT: I see they are selling a desktop version too (free for PDA version owners)

Thank You Hertson !!

Warlords 2 was the most enjoyment I ever had from any game.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 37
RE: Europa Universalis - 2/14/2005 5:52:28 PM   
kaiser73

I have played EU2 a LOT, and liked also HoI. Both in Multiplayers.

To make all save their money:

1) AI in paradox games is ALWAYS retarded. I mean, in EU2 you can start with GrandCampaign as Genoa and conquer all europe. in HoI, i conquered all europe (spain, France, part of SU, all balkans) as Italy at my first campaign with very hard settings...
and no, even with mods, things don't change a lot. AI is so stupid so even when they get 4 times your units (like in CORE mod in HoI), they still lose fast.

2) the games ROCK in multiplayer. Really. Both HoI and EU2 are really fun if played with other players. I could say that their games suck so bad in singleplayer (cause of the very very stupid AI) as they rock in multiplayer.

3) the paradox games are very unstable at beginning. and multiplayer is always a no-go before 4-5 months of patches. Somehow, the MP is always the most unstable thing in paradox games, and the last to get addressed.

In short:
buy EU2 for MP since it's fairly stable now.

for HoI2, wait 6 months if you want to play in multi.

if you buy for singleplayer, expect to beat AI since first match no matter what setting you set.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Europa Universalis Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI