Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some questions and a little wish list

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Some questions and a little wish list Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some questions and a little wish list - 10/21/2004 6:35:29 PM   
Resisti

Hi all.

I¡¦m playing UV since few weeks now (I¡¦m on ¡§Road to Munda¡¨ as Jap, now), and read as carefully as I could the manual, nevertheless I¡¦ve still some doubts on the game mechanics, so I hope to find someone who can enlighten me here ƒº

Here we go:

1. I¡¦m missing a good definition for a ¡§valid supply path¡¨ for my ground units;
2. I¡¦m a bit lost on how the support works(not the aviation one, tough) for bases and ground units, and my units seem to always be under-supported¡K
3. Tough playing with Fog of War ON, I¡¦m still receiving the sighting reports messages of the opponent side: strange.
4. I don¡¦t see the reasons behind the developers¡¦ choice of not allowing to choose your own NAVAL target: if I was an air carriers commander receiving sighting reports of one enemy CV and one enemy transport TF, I would always go after the CVs¡K
5. Is there a limit for the # of mines one can lay in a hex? I found sometimes my MLs trying unsuccessfully to add mines in an already mined hex (and yes, I checked that they had their own full mines load ļ )
6. If I have more than one HQs unit in a hex where a ground combat occur, are ALL their combat bonuses added to the fighting ground units ?

Then a short wish list:

„h The game doesn¡¦t retain the side your playing with, when you open a saved game: boring, if you play the Jap and forget to turn the ¡§computer playing as allied¡¨ switch;
„h You cannot access the scenario¡¦s briefing once you¡¦re in the scenario: does it never happen to you not to remember when the scenario will end ??
„h It would be a helpful tool, to have a toggle to add the hexes coordinates on map.

Ok, maybe a bit long as a thread to reply to, but even partial replies are welcome!!

Txs.
Post #: 1
RE: Some questions and a little wish list - 10/22/2004 5:35:18 PM   
crsutton

Here are some answers as best as I can

1. Valid supply path depends on location. Best of course is to have a unit in a well supplied base. Supply will flow up both trails and roads to other bases. For example, if not heavily engaged, Townsend will get all the supplies it needs over the highway from Brisbane. This all depends on type of road or trail and distance from the parent base.

Wau, will get supplies over the trail from Port Morsby, but not much and not very fast.

Gili Gili although on the same land mass as Port Morsby, does not have a connecting trail so for all purposes is isolated and just like an island. You must supply it by air and sea.

2. As long as your support is in white and not red numbers, your base is fully supported. For support purposes, it does not matter which unit is providing the support. White support numbers means your units will degrade slower at smaller bases and perform better. It is almost impossible for the Japanese to fully support every unit everywhere. I think this is designed on purpose into the game, as Japanese support left a lot to be desired in real life.

3. Yes, it should be tough. You are getting those messages but they are rarely accurate.

4. The designers purposely left this option out. The idea was not to allow you the chance to micro manage you battles. Fact is, that carrier warfair was brand new in 1942 and it was all so unpredictible. Many mistaked were made by the commanders on the scene-especially in attacking the wrong targets. The intent was to make any battle totally unpredictible and they have sucessfully done so. Many times I have gone into combat with what I felt was a no lose position and met with disaster. Prepare yourself for this. Sometimes the computer does some really silly stuff that drives me crazy but for the most part this works very well.

5. No limit that I know of.

6. Only parent HQ units can help a unit out in combat. I think the most important for combat is divisional HQ. As said before though, any HQ can provide support.

This is a great game but has already been patched up quite a bit. The developers are now pretty much devoted to War in the Pacific. I don't expect any more patches or fixes.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Some questions and a little wish list Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI