Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"override security"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> "override security" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"override security" - 11/7/2004 11:15:24 PM   
JediMessiah

anyone know why you would get a "override security" message with a pbem?

im trying to setup a game with daguerre and when he sent me setup it said that and when i sent him setup it also said that

daguerre says it happens with all his

is this a version conflict?

thx in advance for any input

-jedimessiah

"Karate means never having to say you're sorry"
-E. Andrew Kovich
Post #: 1
RE: "override security" - 11/7/2004 11:20:42 PM   
Goblin

It happens with most of my games too. If you trust your opponent, just ignore it.

Goblin

(in reply to JediMessiah)
Post #: 2
RE: "override security" - 11/7/2004 11:32:05 PM   
Major Destruction

Indeed. I find this happens to me too sometimes.

It is caused when you and your opponent are not using the same OOB files or if you set up a battle and at some point, one of you upgrades your OOB files. It will also appear if you are not using the same game version.

If you notice it in turn 1 and it bothers you, it is siple enough to discuss with your opponent which versions you are using and come to an agreement on which you wish to play with. Then restart the battle using the same files.

Otherwise, as goblin suggests, ignore it.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 3
RE: "override security" - 11/8/2004 12:08:33 AM   
Goblin

I've noticed it when we have the same OOB's and versions. Maybe it checks all OOB files? So if I changed something in Norway, and we are using US versus Russia, it picks up the difference?

Goblin

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 4
RE: "override security" - 11/8/2004 12:19:17 AM   
JediMessiah

solved the problem...version conflict he had 8.2

thx again for quick replies, this community rocks!

-jedimessiah

"Karate means never having to say you're sorry"
-E. Andrew Kovich

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 5
RE: "override security" - 11/8/2004 8:58:25 PM   
minefield

I think it checks more than oob files. I think missing sound files will actually cause it to happen.
Usually, as in your case, it is a version conflict or an incorrect installion / upgrade.

edit: Ok I don't think sound files will do it but the game sure is finicky! I don't know what is causing it not to like my installation. I started a PBEM on one computer and am trying to continue it on another and I get the error message. Clean install too.

< Message edited by minefield -- 11/11/2004 4:15:00 AM >

never cross a minefield

Post #: 6
RE: "override security" - 11/14/2004 8:15:56 PM   
Major Destruction

Using a second computer will also cause the security violation. Also, if you start a pbem and then reinstall the game.
The pbem security only checks the OOB's that you and your opponent is using. So if you have edited your Norway OOB and he has purchased from the Norway file, you will see the warning.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 7
RE: "override security" - 12/3/2004 10:27:25 PM   
Flyboy

Won't you also get that message if your opponent has started his turn, then re-downloaded the game files so he can restart his turn? Not to sound paranoid or anything . . .

Post #: 8
RE: "override security" - 12/4/2004 12:30:43 AM   
KNomad

AFAIK - it is possible to "reinstall" the save game files from a PBEM game over and over again without your opponent being aware. To be totally sneaky, you have to replay the entire turn every time you reload, so that alone can be enough of a nuisance to prevent that tactic.

If your opponent takes a few moves, saves, takes a few moves, reloads from the save, moves, saves, moves, reloads, etc ... he can make a near perfect turn. However, by hitting the "1" key (I think) you can see how many times a turn has been saved and restarted.

Unfortunately, such is the "nature of the beast" of all PBEM games.

If you find your opponent has "incredibly lucky" turns over and over again, it is time to find a new opponent.

All in all, through all the various PBEM gaming I've done, I've found the majority of players to be honest and just looking for a fun game.

Personally, I'd rather lose to a better player in the hopes of learning better tactics, than to "stack the deck" so that I can win (a hollow) victory.

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to Flyboy)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> "override security" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI