Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file - 11/22/2004 10:47:07 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Can't the auto assignment of leaders just be nixed as a feature?

I ask again. Would this not get rid of any "automatically" disappearing leaders? Nobody uses the auto aids anyway after playing a bit and realize they are not aids at all but liabilities.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 61
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/22/2004 11:56:24 AM   
michaelm75au

I traced back through my save games, and found the one before I activated PTs with the Japanese named commander.

Now I ran some test starting from this point.
(a) Loaded save game. No PT task force activated.
Run forward one day. DD Helm sinks plus one other Japanese AP or PC during turn.
Went to my Transport TF and activated PTs. I now have a Japanese named commander in charge of them. Ah..

(b) Re-loaded save game. Acitvated PTs first. Okay, USN guy in charge (one of the PT captains).
Run forward one day. DD Helm sinks plus one other Japanese AP or PC during turn.
Everyone still in command where they should be.

(c) Re-loaded save game. Split my Transport TF so that I could only activate a few PTs. Okay, USN in charge.
Run forward one day. DD Helm did not sink this time but one other Japanese AP or PC did during turn.
Went to my Transport TF and activated rest of PTs. I now have a Japanese named commander in charge of them. Ah..

It sure looks like sinking ship/leaders in pacting this. Also I NEVER use auto-commander and must admit I never noticed the leader issue, unless I was activating PTs.

Michael

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 62
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/22/2004 12:33:16 PM   
michaelm75au

I wonder what would happen if two ships/TFs ended up having the same captain/TF commander, and one was sunk/disbanded?
Would the second ship/TF suddenly have a "mixed up/confused" captain/TF commander?

Michael

< Message edited by michaelm -- 11/22/2004 7:34:03 PM >

Post #: 63
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/22/2004 3:58:39 PM   
PeteG662

I have started a new scenario 15 as well and will be vigilant about save games and leaders and see what else I can come up with for Pry.

Post #: 64
RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file - 11/22/2004 7:30:45 PM   
dtravel

quote:

quote:

Can't the auto assignment of leaders just be nixed as a feature?

I ask again. Would this not get rid of any "automatically" disappearing leaders? Nobody uses the auto aids anyway after playing a bit and realize they are not aids at all but liabilities.

I doubt that would do it. I've never used auto-assignment of leaders and have been bitten by this bug.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Post #: 65
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/22/2004 7:33:55 PM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

I traced back through my save games, and found the one before I activated PTs with the Japanese named commander.

Now I ran some test starting from this point.
(a) Loaded save game. No PT task force activated.
Went to my Transport TF and activated PTs. I now have a Japanese named commander in charge of them. Ah..

Immediately upon creation, one of the PT Boats had a Japanese CO? That's ... troubling.

Post #: 66
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/23/2004 1:18:08 AM   
Tankerace

I can't understand this. It seems the more we investigate this, the worse it becomes. I have never seen anything in a game on this scale that wasn't intentional... I too kind of wonder if it is a Grigsby gotcha gone awry.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 67
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/23/2004 2:06:32 AM   
pasternakski

Well, I'm still trying to get a repeating save. I seem to be too busy playing the game to review a large number of commanders from turn to turn in order to catch a sample of this thing. As Radar said to Frank Burns on being chided for sleeping with his teddy bear, "I'm trying to do better, sir."

In the meantime, I keep wondering about stuff, hoping that accidentally asking a right question might be helpful. Has anyone ever seen an Allied commander in charge of a Japanese ship, TF, or unit? I have four games going now (two PBEM and two AI, one of each on each side), all started under v. 1.3. So far on the Allied side (most advanced game is in mid-March 1942), I have not seen land units or major combatant ships taken over by Japanese junior officers. It's just been PT/MTBs and the commander of the ship from which the TF commander is selected so far (and only transport TFs, not air or surface combat TFs like used to happen in 1.21 and before).

The most interesting substitution I have seen so far was a Japanese major (whose name is not in the database) in charge of an American transport TF. When I clicked on his name, I was given a selection of three Japanese majors to choose from, all of whom were stated to be best suited to command of an air combat TF.

I can't remember. Did we have this happening before v. 1.20/1.21?

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 68
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/23/2004 2:09:28 AM   
Tankerace

I had it happen after the very first patch, though it was minor. I had Halsey go bye-bye, but that was all I remember. I think whatever they did to fix it made it worse, because It was pad after 1.21, but its worse (seemingly) now.

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 69
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/23/2004 2:23:55 AM   
pasternakski

Although I'm still only in the first three months of the campaign in all four games I'm playing, I have yet to see the "heavy hitters" like Halsey replaced (I remember once seeing Hornet show up with a Japanese WO on the bridge instead of Mitscher).

BTW, all of us are playing with absolutely nothing being done automatically on our behalf by the AI - no sub control, no auto convoy, nothing. It seems (so far) to minimize the problem and confine it to minor ships and transport convoys.

Oh, yeah, one other thing - the substitute Japanese commanders almost always have excellent ratings - 60s and above, some even in the upper 80s.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 70
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/23/2004 2:27:02 AM   
Tankerace

When halsey disappeared, back in the first month I had the game, I had AI on in China, Auto Convoy, and Auto sub. Now, I only play with Auto Sub (thought that is soon to come off). No heavey hitters as yet, but both the captains of the Enterprise and the Sara have been replaced.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 71
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/23/2004 4:33:42 AM   
PeteG662

I have one for Pry maybe. Created a PT boat TF first turn scenario 15.....PT boat of TF commander was sunk. This guy was the PT boat commander and there were a bunch of other boats with commanders on. Result on turn 2 was a WO in command of the TF.......what happened to the other commanders on the other boats taking over? This is not the changing over to the enemy bug but may be part of the leader replacement issue totally.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 72
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/24/2004 5:19:22 AM   
PeteG662

I have a second one and it is only turn two now. Jap LT takes over command of DD Bagley near Pearl Harbor......sent save to Pry. I will keep searching for these suckers until this gets fixed!

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 73
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/27/2004 12:43:30 AM   
Tankerace

Well, any updates?

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 74
RE: Thought on leader bug issue - 11/27/2004 1:13:42 AM   
pry

Making progress I have been looking at saves for the last two day's (How did you spend your Thanksgiving) and identified 2 possible causes and a few more that I suspect might be a factor...

Keep the saves coming they actually do help...

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 75
RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file - 11/28/2004 1:26:50 AM   
V2

Thanks for the effort Pry, and everyone else too!

I hate PT boats in this game. The only thing PT boats do well is defend Gavavutu in "In Harm's Way." They're stupid. I'll bet anyone a beer that this leader problem is linked to creating PT boats.

My American opponent in 1.3 just lost Nimitz, and he's got PT boats. Simple Simon says: 2 + 2 = 4.

Does the leader problem (1.3 or 1.21) occur in any games where no PT boat are created?

"They were all enemy. They were all to be destroyed."
-W. Calley

Post #: 76
Admiral Nimitz abducted. (edit) - 11/28/2004 1:31:41 AM   
LeatherneckIllini

V2 and I are now to 20 Jan 42 in Scen 15 and I noticed I had some no name Maj running CENPAC. I have checked every TF and no Nimitz, and have placed Halsey as COMCENPAC. The only old save I had around was from 10 Dec 41 and Nimitz was present. I made no changes to CENPAC since 8 Dec 41. Any clue where he might have gone, or even better, how I can get him back?

Edit: Looking back 12 Jan 42 he's there, 13 Jan 42 the ignomious WO is COMCENPAC and on 14 Jan 42 a Maj Ellet takes charge.

< Message edited by LeatherneckIllini -- 11/27/2004 11:50:17 PM >

(in reply to V2)
Post #: 77
RE: Admiral Nimitz abducted. - 11/28/2004 1:33:19 AM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeatherneckIllini

V2 and I are now to 20 Jan 42 in Scen 15 and I noticed I had some no name Maj running CENPAC. I have checked every TF and no Nimitz, and have placed Halsey as COMCENPAC. The only old save I had around was from 10 Dec 41 and Nimitz was present. I made no changes to CENPAC since 8 Dec 41. Any clue where he might have gone, or even better, how I can get him back?

You've been hit by the Lost Leader Bug ... I'm afraid Nimitz is gone for the entire game.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to LeatherneckIllini)
Post #: 78
RE: Admiral Nimitz abducted. (edit) - 11/28/2004 3:47:01 AM   
dtravel

quote:

Edit: Looking back 12 Jan 42 he's there, 13 Jan 42 the ignomious WO is COMCENPAC and on 14 Jan 42 a Maj Ellet takes charge.

KEEP THOSE SAVE GAMES!!! Send them to Pry at the email he gave earlier in the thread.

Post #: 79
RE: Admiral Nimitz abducted. (edit) - 11/28/2004 3:56:06 AM   
pry

quote:

Send me this save 12/Jan/42 and your password (it will be kept confidential)

pry-witp@houston.rr.com

V2 I will need your password also you can email it to me it will also be kept confidential

< Message edited by pry -- 11/27/2004 8:31:20 PM >

Post #: 80
RE: Admiral Nimitz abducted. (edit) - 11/28/2004 4:30:21 AM   
pry

Arrg... dreaded double post

< Message edited by pry -- 11/27/2004 8:31:07 PM >

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 81
RE: Admiral Nimitz abducted. - 11/28/2004 6:05:01 AM   
Halsey

A close encounter of the worst kind.

I'm getting so that I keep ship officers in charge of TF's. I don't want to waste PP's on disappearing Admirals.

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 82
RE: Admiral Nimitz abducted. (edit) - 11/28/2004 6:45:12 PM   
pry

LeatherneckIllini and V2

Good news bad news...

Bad news is that I can not get the problem to repeat from the saves.

Good news is that you can probably go back to the Jan 12 turn and run it over again and Nimitz will not dissapear... I dont know how far you all have gone since this but it is a least an option if you both agree.

Thanks for trying to help it is appreciated

Attachment (1)

Post #: 83
RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file - 11/29/2004 5:38:01 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Does the leader problem (1.3 or 1.21) occur in any games where no PT boat are created?

Well, I have a game where suddenly there is a Japanese commanding one of my ships. I have not created any PT boats yet (still in Dec 1941) - running ver 1.30

I didn't have this problem in version 1.21 games - but in my current game, I reassigned one Allied commander - don't think I did that in my other game(s). Now I currently have 1 Japanese commander. Cause and effect? dunno - but I am guessing maybe.

PS - Do I get a beer?

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 11/28/2004 11:43:15 PM >

(in reply to V2)
Post #: 84
RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file - 11/29/2004 5:56:51 AM   
ADavidB

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Well, I have a game where suddenly there is a Japanese commanding one of my ships. I have not created any PT boats yet (still in Dec 1941) - running ver 1.30

I didn't have this problem in version 1.21 games - but in my current game, I reassigned one Allied commander - don't think I did that in my other game(s). Now I currently have 1 Japanese commander. Cause and effect? dunno - but I am guessing maybe.

PS - Do I get a beer?

I had the problem of getting Japanese commanders of Allied TFs, as well as WO 0/0 commanders in v1.21 and am having it in v1.30 also.

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 85
RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file - 11/29/2004 7:30:42 AM   
dtravel

I refer people to Pry's post of 11/26. There appear to be multiple causes for this problem.

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 86
RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file - 11/29/2004 3:15:12 PM   
PeteG662

Folks,

I have been sending save game turns both before and after these changes occur. If you guys can do the same we can get this things squashed. Don't just talk about it here, lets get those save games in to Pry! BTW, I have another one for you this evening Pry! I am going through every ship, LCU, TF and air unit every turn and checking leaders. In three turns I have had multiple leader changes.

NOTE TO PRY: In one of the leader changes where there was a Japanese officer commanding a DD after the TF split, when I recombined the separate units again into a TF, the DD commander went back to a USN CDR........

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 87
RE: Admiral Nimitz abducted. (edit) - 11/29/2004 7:24:38 PM   
V2

quote:

Good news is that you can probably go back to the Jan 12 turn and run it over again and Nimitz will not dissapear... I dont know how far you all have gone since this but it is a least an option if you both agree.

Thanks again Pry. It was 20 JAN 42 when we caught it, and I offered going back to 12 JAN 42 as a "do-over", but he wants to stick it out and chalk it up to special Jap commandos poisoning the food at Makalapa.

Hope we get this fixed though, because I lost Fuchida (don't know how or when) and if I lose Tanaka or Yamaguchi I WILL take a do-over!

Also, I'm backing off my stance that creating PT boats has something to do with the problem - my opponent didn't create any PT boats. I'll modify it thus: the very existence of PT boats screws up the leader board!

Still love the game though.

-W. Calley

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 88
RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file - 11/29/2004 7:28:27 PM   
V2

PS - Do I get a beer?
[/quote]

What flavor???

-W. Calley

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 89
RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file - 11/29/2004 8:37:58 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: V2

PS - Do I get a beer?

What flavor???

How about a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat?

(in reply to V2)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: Another Leader Bug savegame file Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI