Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pilot Replacements at Sea

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Pilot Replacements at Sea Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/4/2004 8:01:49 AM   
worr

I just realized the rules say nothing about needing to be at a base of certain size and with a certain distance of the HQ as with air craft replacements. Does this mean you get pilots at sea? Often pilots lag way behind planes...sometimes weeks.

Worr, out
Post #: 1
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/4/2004 2:50:25 PM   
stall84

I had a similar question about this, and no one answered.
I don't think anyone really knows the answer.

I transfered my fighter groups to shore, then back onto the ship like some suggested, but that only increased the number of aircraft. SO, Im moving my carriers all the way back to Pearl Harbor to hopefully get them some more pilots.

I have plenty of pilots available in the pool, so I dont know what the deal is

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 2
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/4/2004 6:21:23 PM   
stall84

Need some help on this forumites!

Honestly we need the specific rules for gettin pilot replacements, cuz the manual just doesn't clearly say

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 3
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/4/2004 6:36:25 PM   
stall84

I've gone over the manual and it says basically that if you have more ready aircraft than pilots, pilot replacements will be added at the end of the turn. However my Carriers have been sitting in Pearl Harbor disbanded in port for 3 days and no replacements are coming in. For instance on 1 carrier Ive got 31 ready to fly F4's, with only 21 pilots, and it's been that way for 3 days

(in reply to stall84)
Post #: 4
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/4/2004 6:37:38 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: worr

I just realized the rules say nothing about needing to be at a base of certain size and with a certain distance of the HQ as with air craft replacements. Does this mean you get pilots at sea? Often pilots lag way behind planes...sometimes weeks.

Worr, out

Pilot and plane replacements for CVs happen, as far as I know, only in base (this is in manual BTW).

The pilots would come on sea for CVs only if there are damaged aircraft that get rapaired (and this is only teh case at the start of some scenarios).

Hope this helps...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 5
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/4/2004 6:37:47 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: stall84

I've gone over the manual and it says basically that if you have more ready aircraft than pilots, pilot replacements will be added at the end of the turn. However my Carriers have been sitting in Pearl Harbor disbanded in port for 3 days and no replacements are coming in. For instance on 1 carrier Ive got 31 ready to fly F4's, with only 21 pilots, and it's been that way for 3 days

The planes will not pull pilots uintil they are used.. So if you have 21 pilots (but 31 planes) and they are doing nothing then it will take a long time to pull those 10 extra pilots.. Put them on CAP (for fighters) or naval search (for bombers) and assign 100% to it and they should pull pilots.

Xargun

(in reply to stall84)
Post #: 6
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/4/2004 7:41:29 PM   
stall84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: stall84

The planes will not pull pilots uintil they are used.. So if you have 21 pilots (but 31 planes) and they are doing nothing then it will take a long time to pull those 10 extra pilots.. Put them on CAP (for fighters) or naval search (for bombers) and assign 100% to it and they should pull pilots.

Xargun

Ill give it a try, thanx

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 7
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/4/2004 8:29:24 PM   
worr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11
Pilot and plane replacements for CVs happen, as far as I know, only in base (this is in manual BTW).

You just added pilot and plane replacements together under one subject.

The rules break them apart. The rules are specific for the latter; not the former. Therein lies the confusion.

Unless I missed something somewhere else in the rules. 15.2.2 is where I'm reading from.

Worr, out

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 8
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/5/2004 1:45:27 AM   
Feinder

I belive the only way to recieve air replacements at sea is thru CVE TFs. But according to the manaul, you have to either
a. End a turn at a base with 20k supplies
b. End a turn at a base that is within transfer range of it's HQ, where the HQ base has 20k supplies.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 9
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/5/2004 3:37:09 AM   
worr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder
I belive the only way to recieve air replacements

Yea, but I asked about pilot replacements, not air craft replacements.

The rules say nothing about being in port for pilot replacements. They do say this for air craft replacemetns, however.

Worr, out

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 10
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/5/2004 4:46:32 AM   
ragtopcars_slith

Worr, I believe I have seen in my game (scenario 15) the Aircraft carriers pull pilots while at sea. As everyone said, you have to be in port to get the planes, but while at sea, I still pulled pilots to fill those cockpits

derek

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 11
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/5/2004 6:21:39 AM   
worr

But it doesn't sound like you are sure?

(in reply to ragtopcars_slith)
Post #: 12
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/5/2004 6:46:54 AM   
Feinder

Ah, sorry, thot you were asking about AC replacements.

The manual doesn't say that you have to be in a base hex. It only says if pilots are less than the number of ready aircraft, that you will draw replacements. From that I would infer that that you do -not- have to be in a base hex.

-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 12/4/2004 11:47:03 PM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 13
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/5/2004 8:02:56 AM   
stall84

try giving them CAP missions worr, that worked for me, don't just have them stand down, it won't get them their fast enough

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 14
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/5/2004 2:24:59 PM   
JohnK

I have this problem, I've got carriers at Pearl (100,000+ supply, CENPAC HQ there) short pilots in the fighter squadrons, plenty in naval pilot pool.

I've had the squadrons on 90% CAP, have had the carriers disbanded in port, in a TF in port, disbanded in port again, have transferred the squadrons to the airfield and back, done this for a week, not gotten a single new pilot in any of the 3 fighter squadrons that are short pilots. One thing I haven't done is move the CVs away from Pearl in a TF and transfer the squadrons from shore to the CV (If this is what is necessary to get pilots this is getting really absurd.)

I hope some sort of bug on this wasn't introduced in 1.3.

(in reply to stall84)
Post #: 15
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/6/2004 6:02:42 PM   
mlees

I'm at work, and I do not have the rule book with me, so please bear with me...

I have notice that some of my CVE's arrive with squadrons that have a max size of 54 aircraft, (but only 24 planes assigned). How do I get the aircraft transfered to the fleet carrier, at sea, and merge the squadrons? (So that I'm NOT left with a 54 plane squadron that will, when I finally dock, fill to max and put the CV WAY over capacity.)

I don't believe you can "withdraw" or "disband" at sea...

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 16
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/6/2004 6:12:03 PM   
Mr.Frag

As designed. These are special CVE's functioning as replacement (VR) carriers. Read the rules on how to use these as they can not be used as normal CV types, you will terminally be over on the aircraft and not have anything that can fly.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 17
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/6/2004 7:14:57 PM   
worr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

As designed. These are special CVE's functioning as replacement (VR) carriers. Read the rules on how to use these as they can not be used as normal CV types, you will terminally be over on the aircraft and not have anything that can fly.

CVEs work as aircraft replacement.

Any clue on the pilot replacement question in this thread?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 18
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/6/2004 7:26:37 PM   
siRkid

quote:

Any clue on the pilot replacement question in this thread?

Xargun got it right. Groups will pull pilots as they are needed.

"The planes will not pull pilots uintil they are used.. So if you have 21 pilots (but 31 planes) and they are doing nothing then it will take a long time to pull those 10 extra pilots.. Put them on CAP (for fighters) or naval search (for bombers) and assign 100% to it and they should pull pilots.

Xargun "

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 19
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/6/2004 7:49:29 PM   
worr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

"The planes will not pull pilots uintil they are used.. So if you have 21 pilots (but 31 planes) and they are doing nothing then it will take a long time to pull those 10 extra pilots.. Put them on CAP (for fighters) or naval search (for bombers) and assign 100% to it and they should pull pilots.

Thanks for confirming this.

Am I right to assume you have to use 100% to get pilots to pull? And am I also right that 100% training still counts as them doing nothing?

I assumed training would pull pilots, but I'm guessing not.

Worr, out

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 20
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/6/2004 7:51:30 PM   
worr

quote:

Xargun was responding to someone who asked about CVs at port.

My question is about at sea. Do his comments apply there too?

Worr, out

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 21
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/7/2004 12:20:59 AM   
JohnK

Well,

I just sent the CVs to a different hex from the fighter squadrons left at Pearl. I then transferred the fighter squadrons to the Carriers.

They all transferred and not a new pilot. Including 27 planes somehow flying out to the carriers with 24 pilots.

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 22
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/7/2004 12:43:38 AM   
Mr.Frag

Transfer missions do not pull pilots, known issue.

(in reply to JohnK)
Post #: 23
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/7/2004 12:47:56 AM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: worr

quote:

Xargun was responding to someone who asked about CVs at port.

My question is about at sea. Do his comments apply there too?

Worr, out

Yes.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 24
RE: Pilot Replacements at Sea - 12/7/2004 1:52:54 AM   
worr

Thanks.

Worr, out

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Pilot Replacements at Sea Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI