Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CTDs in the South Pacific

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> CTDs in the South Pacific Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/14/2004 5:39:25 PM   
Wilhammer

History:

I was afflicted by the sound CTDs - this was fixed, for me, in 1.30.

However, a fresh reinstall had to be done for it to work.

Here is the current problem:

It will CTD randomly, but only while interacting in the South Pacific, around the Coral Sea, the Solomons, Nomuea, etc.

I am the Japanese player, long Campaign, started in ver 1.21, currently its April 4, 1943.

When I think about the CTds all along, it seems they always occured on the South Pacific, not China, Burma, etc.

Workaround - save after every plot while on South Pacific.

It won't always crash, but it will after a fashion.
Post #: 1
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/14/2004 6:19:36 PM   
PeteG662

What are you doing when it CTDs? Using the "back" button instead of the "exit" button? Accessing the information screens? Giving orders?

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 2
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/14/2004 6:40:30 PM   
Wilhammer

Plotting moves, or attempting to.

Typical, I click on my IJN Deathstar to plot a course around New Caledonia, and BAM!; CTD.

It is always while interacting with Naval Units at sea.

I've got to wonder if its due to interaction with the Air Superiority calculations in the Region. The IJN Deathstar gets close to the base near there, and that seems to increase the likelyhood of the crash.

The calculations, if Dynamic, must be trying when a carrier force of a dozen IJN carriers gets near the two Allied bases in the area packed with A/C.

Perhaps this 'crunch' is the cause.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 3
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/14/2004 8:23:12 PM   
PeteG662

Mr Frag was interested in the CTD issue so if you can replicate it and give the step by step on how to recreate it then we may be able to get it resolved. I was having problems with CTDs for no reason as well using the back button and others have had the CTD doing various activities interacting with the program.

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 4
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/14/2004 8:45:14 PM   
Wilhammer

The way I recreate is above.

1. Play as the Japanese against the Computer.

2. Dominate the Solomons.

3. Move the IJN fleet around New Caledonia/Espiratu Santo.

The more complicated, the better the chance of a CTD, it seems.

What I have in April 1943 is 14 IJN carriers and no carriers in sight for the USN or RN (the ships sunk list explains this :)).

The Solomons are mine, and heavily enhanced.

The Allies are crowded around Espiritu and Nomeua.

The most recent crash occured when I had two carrier TFs near the area, and a sh!tload of merchants and surface ships I was raiding in the shipping lanes.

The Allies have hundreds of planes in the area (and if I get within 5 hexes of either base, the sh!t will hit the fan.)

I have the IJN carriers split into three groups - the Fast carriers (30 knots), the medium slow (25 knots), and the slow (CVEs below 24 knots), in essence a copy of USN Fleet Train tactics, but focused on commerce raiding.

Eventually it will CTD.

The next time it happens, i 'll save the file and would want to send it out to someone.

who should I post it to?

---------------

One might ask why I continue this game, and that is simple; too see how the AI thinks strategically, and it is this:

It is focused on Port Moresby and Lunga, and will pile up everything it can as close as it can to those two bases, if it can't take those bases, which it will attempt to do, fanatically.

You see, in this case, the significance of Lunga/Tulagi - the position is reverersed strategically as the Allies experienced it, and with folk planes clogging the Hebrides forward bases and Cairns/Townsville, it is something of a riot.

The Allies can't attack its next targets from those bases, especially when those bases are full of highly trained Zeroes (the Mogami Method) and Betty's.

It is all about positional warfare; with the short range of Allied A/C, the IJN dominates the region just with Bettys and Zekes.

Capturing Lunga/Tulagi was the key to the way the war played out in real life - it was brilliant and bold when the Allies decided to launch Operation Shoestring - it was one of the Great Military Decisions of all time.

Had they not done this, and had Midway not happened, it would of been 1944 before enough US carriers had arrived to take the offensive.

And that is how this game is playing out, even if the AI is stupid as hell about its Tactics.

The Allied AI is equally fixed on the coastal Ports in the Bruma/India theater - Defending Akyab and the Diamond Harbor area has been a fantical one.

Also, I have determined the shipping paths fairly well, and they are obvious, if subject to adjustment due to CV threat.

Of course, by splitting the CVs up, and aprroaching convoys form multiple angles, results in them scurrying about like rats, trapped in an at Sea corner of carnage.

< Message edited by Wilhammer -- 12/14/2004 1:54:32 PM >

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 5
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/14/2004 9:06:12 PM   
PeteG662

If you can recreate the CTD repeatedly doing the same steps, send a save game file to Mr Frag to take a look at.

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 6
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 5:44:17 AM   
rtrapasso

I am also having a CTD problem. Generally it occurs when I have spent a long time moving stuff (i.e. at the end of a turn). I access the intel screen, and either when I access a subscreen (i.e. - ship availability) or when I try to return from a subscreen, it will crash.

Alas, this generally only happens when I have not saved a file after doing about 1000 cliks. It isn't really repeatable, but it is annoying as hades. I have sent several messages to Microsoft (when the little window pops up saying "A serious error has occurred in your application..."

Don't know what to do about this except maybe save more often.

Anyone else have this problem?

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 7
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 6:55:15 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

I am also having a CTD problem. Generally it occurs when I have spent a long time moving stuff (i.e. at the end of a turn). I access the intel screen, and either when I access a subscreen (i.e. - ship availability) or when I try to return from a subscreen, it will crash.

Alas, this generally only happens when I have not saved a file after doing about 1000 cliks. It isn't really repeatable, but it is annoying as hades. I have sent several messages to Microsoft (when the little window pops up saying "A serious error has occurred in your application..."

Don't know what to do about this except maybe save more often.

Anyone else have this problem?

OK - I now have a repeatable CTD. I have done what I said above (change scads of orders, destinations, etc.), but this time, I managed to save the game just before it crashed to desktop, and it repeatedly crashes when I do this:

1. Open Intel screen
2. Go to ship availability
3. Sort by ship type
4. Peruse for a bit
5. Hit the back button and
6. CRASH!!!!

So, should I send this or is this a known problem on the list?

This is happening under 1.40 which I just loaded and installed. Playing scenario 15 Allies vs. AI. Running Windows ME home edition.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 8
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 2:21:19 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

it repeatedly crashes when I do this:

1. Open Intel screen
3. Sort by ship type
4. Peruse for a bit
6. CRASH!!!!

I have also experienced precisely this joy. v1.30 scen 15

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 9
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 3:41:58 PM   
Wilhammer

Yes, mine too happens after a long turn of plotting - which means of course going through info screens and all - complete interface.

But for me, the CTDs only happen when I go to the South Pacific.

If I don't stay in that area, I am fine.

But - could it be naval and/or naval air interaction?

I have massive commitments in China (which is down to two Chinese controlled cities), and in North India, with not much naval activity.), so nearly all my moves are on land.

No carriers in the area - don't need 'em.

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 10
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 3:46:08 PM   
PeteG662

Send the CTD save game files to Mr Frag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 11
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 3:49:18 PM   
Wilhammer

Yeah, I'll send when I get a chance to play again, which will be 1.40 this weekend.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 12
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 4:03:13 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

quote:

1. Open Intel screen
3. Sort by ship type
4. Peruse for a bit
6. CRASH!!!!

So, now the question is: since Mr. Frag has categorically stated that they are only interested in bugs that occur from games run STARTING in ver 1.40 (not any upgrades from 1.30) is/should this be a reportable bug?

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 13
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 5:26:31 PM   
PeteG662

If it happens in 1.4 yes....means a restart though......

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 14
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 7:43:16 PM   
dr. smith

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

quote:

1. Open Intel screen
3. Sort by ship type
4. Peruse for a bit
6. CRASH!!!!

This is a known bug, whenever you are in the Ship Availibility Screen NEVER EVER hit "Back". Hit Exit or the ESC key to get out of it.

< Message edited by dr. smith -- 12/15/2004 12:43:26 PM >

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 15
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 10:19:59 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

I'm not restarting again!

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 16
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/15/2004 10:25:59 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Not quite, it is simply an issue that we don't need to waste dev's time chasing around bugs that do not happen in 1.4 games. As older versions had bugs, you could be reporting a problem caused by a bug that was already fixed and we end up going down a wild goose chase with no fix but lots of lost time.

If you are running another version and see a bug and that same bug happens in 1.4, it is still of interest as it is not fixed. What we dont' want to do is go backwards in time.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 17
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 2:07:08 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

Not quite, it is simply an issue that we don't need to waste dev's time chasing around bugs that do not happen in 1.4 games. As older versions had bugs, you could be reporting a problem caused by a bug that was already fixed and we end up going down a wild goose chase with no fix but lots of lost time.

If you are running another version and see a bug and that same bug happens in 1.4, it is still of interest as it is not fixed. What we dont' want to do is go backwards in time.

OK - I am confused. This is a repeatable bug happening in a ver 1.40 game, but the game was upgraded from ver 1.30. So, would you like a saved game or no?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 18
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 3:53:59 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

OK - I am confused. This is a repeatable bug happening in a ver 1.40 game, but the game was upgraded from ver 1.30. So, would you like a saved game or no?

If you are talking the back button crash, no one have submitted a reproducable set of steps to crash it.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 19
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 6:38:19 AM   
ckk

Amen and I have tried and I give up!!!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 20
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 5:01:10 PM   
PeteG662

rtrapasso,

Looks like Frag wants your save game with the steps you did to reproduce it.

Pete

(in reply to ckk)
Post #: 21
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 5:14:34 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

If you are talking the back button crash, no one have submitted a reproducable set of steps to crash it.

Well, I have a save of a game that will repeatedly crash under these circumstances:
it repeatedly crashes when I do this - I have issued orders, opened and closed screens for a LONG set of orders. I saved the game. To get it to crash
1. Load the save
2. Open Intel screen
3. Go to ship availability
4. Hit the back button and
5. CRASH!!!!

It is scenario 15 me as Allies vs. AI Japan. Highly variable setup and reinforcements, US sub doctrine off, all others options on. Did this under WITP ver 1.30, also game upgraded to version 1.40. Running on a Dell 8200 Bios Rev A09, Pentium 4 2 Ghz, RAM = 1 Gbyte.

Here is start of the error/message code that windows generated when it sent the message (copied by hand):

Exception information
Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x00000000004b9d10
System Information
Windows NT 5.1 Build: 2600
CPU Vendor Code: 756E6547 - 49656 ...

Man, it goes on for pages. So far I can't figure a way to get this to print, or find of copy of the file it sends to microsoft (file disappears as soon as I close error report - can't window to it, and can't find it in trash can). It seems to change each time, anyway.

It has crashed repeatedly on my machine - at least 6 times in a row from this save.

I don't know whether or not you want this, but I will send it to you through e-mail as an attachment.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 22
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 5:37:49 PM   
Mr.Frag

send it in

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 23
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 5:45:36 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

I sent you a copy of the save.

Then (about 5 minutes after sending it) I think I figured out (at least partially) what might be causing the problem.

I decided to close a bunch of programs running in the background. The two most prominent offenders are SKYPE and SETI@HOME. Once I did that, I went back and reloaded WITP with the reproducible crash saved game, and VOILA - no more crash when I hit the back button.

Don't know if it was SKYPE or SETI@HOME or a combination of both causing the problem.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 12/16/2004 12:47:39 PM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 24
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 5:54:10 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

I sent you a copy of the save.

Then (about 5 minutes after sending it) I think I figured out (at least partially) what might be causing the problem.

I decided to close a bunch of programs running in the background. The two most prominent offenders are SKYPE and SETI@HOME. Once I did that, I went back and reloaded WITP with the reproducible crash saved game, and VOILA - no more crash when I hit the back button.

Don't know if it was SKYPE or SETI@HOME or a combination of both causing the problem.

OK - Curiosity made me go back, and i've narrowed it to SETI@HOME. Skype alone does not seem to cause the problem. Never really thought of this much as both these programs load automatically at boot.

So - no searching for LGM (little green men) while fighting the Japanese during WWII.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 25
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 8:38:23 PM   
Mr.Frag

I run Skype myself so you can rule that out.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 26
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 9:01:10 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

I run Skype myself so you can rule that out.

Oh yeah - i ruled out Skype.

SETI@HOME is the cause, unless i am VERY mistaken.

You can probably reproduce the crash with the save if you loaded SETI@HOME - except i don't think they distribute the version i run anymore. For reasons i won't bother you with, i don't want to load the new version of SETI@HOME, but i think i might discontinue running it altogether. I could send you a copy of the offending version if you wanted.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 27
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 9:10:31 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

You can probably reproduce the crash with the save if you loaded SETI@HOME - except i don't think they distribute the version i run anymore. For reasons i won't bother you with, i don't want to load the new version of SETI@HOME, but i think i might discontinue running it altogether. I could send you a copy of the offending version if you wanted.

Thanks, but Seti while looking pretty, just increases my hydro bill by keeping my machine redlined at 100% load. While the concept is nifty, people overlook things like that.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 28
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 9:24:04 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

Thanks, but Seti while looking pretty, just increases my hydro bill by keeping my machine redlined at 100% load. While the concept is nifty, people overlook things like that.

Oh, no! Not to run it, but to reproduce the crash. I don't know if it would be useful to YOU to reproduce it (i.e. - to further define the memory allocation problem), or since this particular cause is now known, just to tell people not to run SETI@HOME and avoid the back button.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 12/16/2004 4:26:08 PM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 29
RE: CTDs in the South Pacific - 12/16/2004 9:39:30 PM   
Mr.Frag

Naw, it's one of those bugs that has tracked through many many builds, but due to the nature of it, is generally not clear enough to pin down. There is a real bug there somewhere.

The workaround is no Back buttons when in the Info Panel.

I went through this in UV, I crashed all the time, Mogami never crashed at all. Turns out I use Back all the time, he Never uses it. You can run 500 turns of UV without a crash if you don't touch back. Once you do, your days are numbered.

Witp is much better off in that it generally crashes very quickly when the back bug bites so you don't get data corruption over multiple turns. Wish we could find and kill it, but the odds are pretty slim.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> CTDs in the South Pacific Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI