Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Other beta-test requirements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Other beta-test requirements Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other beta-test requirements - 3/22/2005 9:47:39 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingtiger_501

A arse kisser or someone who knows what to say to get on the beta team will never get the same results as someone who has 100's of hours playing time. 10 years exp is greater than 2 months of trying to learn what you should know already.

No-one suggested kissing arses... (ah... I love being Australian... words are more direct) but beta-testing is a lot more than just knowing how to play the game.

Anyway, my post was for people who were looking for help to position themselves as potential beta-testers. If you have better ideas then feel free to post your alternative suggestions. I'm sure our eager audience are open to all suggestions.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to DavidFaust)
Post #: 31
RE: Other beta-test requirements - 3/22/2005 7:52:19 PM   
Cheesehead

Is this all wishful thinking? What gives you reason to believe this game is anywhere near beta testing?

You can't fight in here...this is the war room!

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 32
RE: Other beta-test requirements - 3/23/2005 11:05:16 PM   
Mziln

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesehead

Is this all wishful thinking? What gives you reason to believe this game is anywhere near beta testing?

If it wern't for the AI, PBEM, and Matrix Grafics changes the game could be in beta now. It was in beta with ADG.

(in reply to Cheesehead)
Post #: 33
RE: Other beta-test requirements - 3/24/2005 6:05:07 PM   
Cheesehead

quote:

If it wern't for the AI, PBEM, and Matrix Grafics changes the game could be in beta now. It was in beta with ADG.

Those are pretty big ifs... without AI or PBEM it is kind of like a car with no engine...fun to sit in and pretend, but it doesn't go anywhere. I'm not impatient for a finished product...only to hear that this game is being worked on and progress is being made.

You can't fight in here...this is the war room!

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 34
RE: Other beta-test requirements - 3/25/2005 10:36:52 PM   
coregames

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingtiger_501
A arse kisser or someone who knows what to say to get on the beta team will never get the same results as someone who has 100's of hours playing time. 10 years exp is greater than 2 months of trying to learn what you should know already.

All arse-kissing aside, Matrix needs feedback from both experienced WiF-ers and newcomers to the game. They shouldn't release a game that is not stand-alone, meaning it should be digestable by those who have no previous WiF experience. At the same time, a primary component of the market (especially at first) is going to be dedicated WiF fans.

New players will try things that would never occur to those with experience (often including inherently "bad" moves), and if a glitch appears during such a seemingly foolish activity, it is still a glitch that needs to be remedied.

On the other side of the coin, solid, experienced players will be able to test the AI in ways newcomers cannot, and can provide lessons about game flow and interaction gleened from years of over-the-board play.

These are some of the reasons I think a balance between new and experienced WiF-ers would be best for beta testing.

< Message edited by coregames -- 3/25/2005 10:43:33 PM >

(in reply to DavidFaust)
Post #: 35
Computer WiF! Yea! - 3/26/2005 1:09:05 AM   
Yellowcactus

Hello all,
Let me get down to business here! I want to Beta Test World in Flames. My qualifications are as follows.

-I understand just about every rule in the board game.
-No woman in her right mind would marry me, so I have lots of time to work on CWiF.
-Professionally, I teach math, and have a dorky laugh.
-WiF has been my favorite non-alcoholic hobby for about ten years now, and I've even played it with OTHER people!
-Must admit, I do play WiF by myself <see above reasons for details>
-Extremely bad habit of buying and playing strategic wargames that rarely meet they're potential *Cough-Paradox-Cough*

So....am I on the Team?

-Yellowcactus

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 36
RE: Computer WiF! Yea! - 3/26/2005 4:30:48 AM   
coregames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yellowcactus
-Extremely bad habit of buying and playing strategic wargames that rarely meet they're potential *Cough-Paradox-Cough*

Not a fan of realtime wargames Yellowcactus? Or perhaps it's just HoI2 in particular... Your comment causes me to be glad I have chosen to wait for GGWaW to tide me over until the WiF ball gets rolling. Still, I am surprised you were that underwhelmed by HoI2, given the reviews I've read and the feedback I've heard in these forums.

(in reply to Yellowcactus)
Post #: 37
Brief Derailment...... - 3/26/2005 4:43:36 AM   
Yellowcactus

I love the concepts in HOI2! (Yum Yum, great ideas) The Ai may as well stop trying though. So that leaves Multi-Player, which is what you really want anyway. But the Multi-Player game is unstable and blah. I hope to be playing HOI2 in a couple years.
Back to CWiF. I remember when ADG had this Australian guy(Chris M?) build the first CWiF. He built the game all by himself! Don't know if it's still around somewhere, but I sure would love to Beta test Matrix's CWiF!
-Yc

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 38
RE: Brief Derailment...... - 3/26/2005 10:48:31 AM   
coregames

quote:

I remember when ADG had this Australian guy(Chris M?) build the first CWiF. He built the game all by himself! Don't know if it's still around somewhere, but I sure would love to Beta test Matrix's CWiF!
-Yc

Chris Marinacci did an impressive job of coding one of the most complicated board games ever... but his application did not have AI, nor did it have PBEM capability. Matrix has already announced that they have brought Chris into consultation on this project, and his legacy code from the original beta will undoubtedly be helpful. I am certain that Matrix will have a more user-friendly interface for their adaptation, as well as the features CM's version had not yet implemented.

Post #: 39
Challenge! - 3/26/2005 5:46:22 PM   
Yellowcactus

I think the biggest challenge of Computerizing WiF will be to format the game in a way that will allow players to study the map with a holistic view. Perhaps if we all bought 60 inch monitors, the world could be seen in detail. The problem lies that (Expecially with naval stuff) you have to be able to connect units in distant sea zones in your mind. I feel like the interface will be a great challenge. -Still want to Beta Test the game though!-
-Yc

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 40
RE: Challenge! - 4/2/2005 8:13:07 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

I think the biggest challenge of Computerizing WiF will be to format the game in a way that will allow players to study the map with a holistic view. Perhaps if we all bought 60 inch monitors, the world could be seen in detail. The problem lies that (Expecially with naval stuff) you have to be able to connect units in distant sea zones in your mind. I feel like the interface will be a great challenge. -Still want to Beta Test the game though!-
-Yc

Wait, don't give up hope!

I play Rome:Total War in 1080i resolution on my 55" Sony LCD Widescreen TV. Can you say beyond fantastic? For desktop activities 720p resolution looks beyond fabulous. Technology is catching up with needs of the true Grognard!

After giving up at least 1 day(usually 2-3) a month for the last 15 years, I can say I've wasted a huge portion of my life pretending I'm smart and can lead the armies of the Third Reich to victory. I love to say that even though I play this way, I am fabulously content in the idea that this is nearly impossible.

Gary Grigsby and friends have put much love and care into the boardgame. I could give a heck about the AI myself, but I'm not making those decisions. The fact I spend 3-12 turns setting up a game plan for an invasion in a particular place puts the AI at a decisive disadvantage.

I would be eager to beta, and have a friend who would love to also.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 41
RE: Challenge! - 4/5/2005 7:14:26 AM   
Mziln

quote:

-Yc

I haven't encounterd any problems scrolling arround the globe the Strategic (mini) map using 1024x768 and a 17 inch monitor. You just have to keep in mind your strategic objectives and available theater units.

Post #: 42
RE: Challenge! - 4/21/2005 4:02:06 AM   
stewart_king

On a 1040x768 laptop screen it works just fine. With 75% enlargement, you can still read the crucial numbers on the units and the large map (about half of the screen surface) is 10x8 hexes. That's big enough for almost every purpose. Naval battles in the Pacific are a special case, there you have to do a lot of remembering. Hopefully the Matrix interface will be a little better for naval units.

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 43
RE: Challenge! - 7/17/2005 6:06:27 AM   
jchastain

Heh heh. the dreamers thread. Sign me up. And can I buy a lottery ticket while I'm here?

(in reply to stewart_king)
Post #: 44
RE: Challenge! - 7/17/2005 6:24:42 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

Heh heh. the dreamers thread. Sign me up. And can I buy a lottery ticket while I'm here?

I will need many play testers. MWIF has a lot of moving parts and I don't want anyone who purchases the final product it to lose any of their fingers while playing. There is work being coordinated by Greyshaft under the thread Test Plan for MWIF. The contributors to that effort are signing up for a lot of work "play testing". You should read Greyshaft's definition of play test though. It emphasizes the word Test more than the word Play.

You can also put in your two cents worth as to how the game should be designed. Contributors to the design will be high on my list of desirable play testers.

I also have a special on lottery tickets today. Will that be cash, check, or credit card?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Other beta-test requirements Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI