Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI clairfication

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> AI clairfication Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI clairfication - 6/18/2000 12:49:00 PM   
Greg McCarty

I want to understand correctly: If the AI setting is at 100, the computer forces operate at 100% of their currently set capability. Any setting greater than 100 enhances their capability, anything less than 100 diminishes it. Yes? No? What setting is default (xxx) using? Any suggestions for settings to create a well rounded AI opponent (major belligerents only) without creating a monster?

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata
Post #: 1
- 6/18/2000 1:10:00 PM   
Drake666

From what I have read. Default is O% 100 is 100% to Experince and morale. Ex. Computer unit with 50 Exp and 50 morale wound be 100 Exp and 100 morale with the AI set to 100.

(in reply to Greg McCarty)
Post #: 2
- 6/18/2000 1:13:00 PM   
Pack Rat

quote:

Originally posted by Greg McCarty: Any suggestions for settings to create a well rounded AI opponent (major belligerents only) without creating a monster?
ROFL Major Belligerent I think I knew him in the Army. If I can stop laughing long enough, I can only leave it for someone else that knows WAW better than I about your AI question. Had to comment though, made my day. ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

Post #: 3
- 6/18/2000 2:59:00 PM   
victorhauser

The default for the AI setting is XXX (or 0), where XXX = 100%. For anything above 0, add that number to 100%. For instance, an AI setting of 50 adds 50% to the default setting of 100% giving a net of 150%. An AI setting of 200 thus adds 200% to the default setting of 100% giving a net of 300%. That is the multiplier to experience, morale, and I think leader ratings too (or at least rally ratings). So setting the AI to 200 means that all AI experience and morale ratings will be tripled. As far as I know, the maximum "usuable" rating for experience, morale, etc. is 140. Therefore, if you are going to set the AI to 200, then it is also a good idea to set the computer troop quality to a value less than 70 (I use 60) so that the computer isn't buying units that will go past the maximum usable ratings. I use 60 because morale ratings are typically lower than experience ratings and even 40 times 300% still gives a very respectable 120 morale. Another advantage to using a troop quality lower than 70 (when the AI is at 200) is because the computer will pay less per unit bought, thus allowing the computer to purchase more units to fight against you. (The baseline purchase cost is at a troop quality of 70. Units with higher troop quality are more expensive, lower are less expensive in almost linear proportion to the ratio "TroopQuality/70".) I posted a topic called "Where Are You Coming From" several weeks ago (somewhere around June 3rd), that describes in some detail how I set up my campaigns and the settings I use. That might be of some help.

VAH

Post #: 4
- 6/18/2000 3:15:00 PM   
victorhauser

Follow Up... I just discovered that the "Where Are You Coming From" topic has a date of June 1st.

VAH

Post #: 5
- 6/19/2000 2:36:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

Thanks, that makes it clear. I wanted to make sure I had a grip on the formula before I went too much further in my campaign. Yes, I did read your article. My eyes glazed over about three quarters of the way thru. I have three observations: 1. Historically, I doubt if any commander would have restricted himself so willingly. He would have cleaned clock and been done with it. 2. If your tactical skills are that razor sharp (playing at that level, no doubt they are) you must be a fright in PBEM games. 3. Consider putting together an informal how-to pamphlet on approaches to tactical situations. I know others have done this, but yours would be at my right hand when playing in tournaments.
quote:

Originally posted by victorhauser: The default for the AI setting is XXX (or 0), where XXX = 100%. For anything above 0, add that number to 100%. For instance, an AI setting of 50 adds 50% to the default setting of 100% giving a net of 150%. An AI setting of 200 thus adds 200% to the default setting of 100% giving a net of 300%. That is the multiplier to experience, morale, and I think leader ratings too (or at least rally ratings). So setting the AI to 200 means that all AI experience and morale ratings will be tripled. As far as I know, the maximum "usuable" rating for experience, morale, etc. is 140. Therefore, if you are going to set the AI to 200, then it is also a good idea to set the computer troop quality to a value less than 70 (I use 60) so that the computer isn't buying units that will go past the maximum usable ratings. I use 60 because morale ratings are typically lower than experience ratings and even 40 times 300% still gives a very respectable 120 morale. Another advantage to using a troop quality lower than 70 (when the AI is at 200) is because the computer will pay less per unit bought, thus allowing the computer to purchase more units to fight against you. (The baseline purchase cost is at a troop quality of 70. Units with higher troop quality are more expensive, lower are less expensive in almost linear proportion to the ratio "TroopQuality/70".) I posted a topic called "Where Are You Coming From" several weeks ago (somewhere around June 3rd), that describes in some detail how I set up my campaigns and the settings I use. That might be of some help.

Greg.

--Zapata

Post #: 6
- 6/19/2000 2:47:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

You know, I did struggle at some length as to how I should phrase that remark, but clearly, not long enough. (whew)
quote:

Originally posted by Pack Rat: ROFL Major Belligerent I think I knew him in the Army. If I can stop laughing long enough, I can only leave it for someone else that knows WAW better than I about your AI question. Had to comment though, made my day.

Greg.

--Zapata

Post #: 7
- 6/19/2000 3:36:00 AM   
victorhauser

Although I think I can play at a very high level, I believe that just about anybody who has played as many games of SP as I have can play at that same level. Certain "patterns" to game play emerge after several dozen games. After several hundred games, various subtle and esoteric aspects to the game become apparent. After a thousand or so games (I've probably played upwards of 2000 games to completion and started hundreds and hundreds more), there are very few surprises (although even now I still manage to learn something new on a frequent basis, especially with SPWAW which is a truly excellent game). I imagine that anybody else out there with the same amount of playing experience and dedication to the game (some of my friends call me a fanatic ) as I have will be just as skilled or even more so. Happy Gaming, Victor

VAH

Post #: 8
- 6/19/2000 4:18:00 AM   
Drake666

If you want info on tactical situations read U.S. War Department "Handbook On German Military Forces"(Mar'45). It has a lot on German tactics and stuff. Their is a number of sites with this posted or I can send it if you want it. From the Supreme Commander of the German Panzer-Armee Oberkommando 6 to the Commanders of all Panzer units: 10th of March, 1943 Fundamental order No. 14 10 rules for the employment of tanks. The tank is a battle-decisive weapon. Hence it is only used in crucial points and suitable terrain. The tank is not a solo fighter! The smallest unit is the platoon; for bigger tasks the company. The tank is not an Infantry-Support-Gun. Its task is to break into and through the enemy for the infantry to follow. The tank can clear and take posession of an area. But it can't hold this area. This is the task of the infantry, supported by their heavy weapons, AT-guns and artillery. The tank is not an artillery weapon, which encounters the enemy from a firing position for a long time. The tank fights versatile with short stops for firing. The task of the infantry is to pin down the enemy weapons, to follow closely the tank-attack in order to take advantage of the weapons and the morale effect of the tank-attack. The task of the artillery is to support the tank-attack with its fire, to pin down the enemy artillery and to follow the tank-attack in quick alternate bounds. The task of the tank-destroyers is to follow closely the tank-attack in order to engage immediately when the fight of tank against tank starts. The task of the engineers is – protected by tanks, infantry and artillery – to clear mine barriers and creating lanes through these minefields in order to get the tank-attack going again. At night the tank is blind and deaf. Then it is the task of the infantry to protect the tanks with their weapons.

Post #: 9
- 6/19/2000 6:01:00 AM   
schmoe

Drake666, that is wonderful! I had to cut that list and save it as a Word Doc. I just don't have access to that sort of info, although in general I'm pretty well read.

Post #: 10
- 6/19/2000 6:20:00 AM   
Drake666

I have some better ones then that schmoe if you want I can Email them to you. Im always ready to help other wargamers [This message has been edited by Drake666 (edited 06-18-2000).]

Post #: 11
- 6/19/2000 1:48:00 PM   
Belaja smert

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: If you want info on tactical situations read U.S. War Department "Handbook On German Military Forces"(Mar'45). It has a lot on German tactics and stuff. Their is a number of sites with this posted or I can send it if you want it.
I for one would be very interested about that Handbook, so if you could post the address where I could find it, you would make one hapless soldier happy BTW, how about setting up an area in the Matrixgames for strategy guides and such? Belaja smert

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

Post #: 12
- 6/19/2000 1:52:00 PM   
Wild Bill

There are strategy guides, tutorials on editing and design of scenarios and a lot of other stuff at The Gamers Net. Go to the Articles section and check it out. Also visit the SP Arsenal Armory, hosted by Davor Popovic. Some good tac articles there also. http://www.thegamers.net Then to to Military section and check it all out. Have you visited SP Arsenal and the Raider site. We are supporting all SP versions there. http://wbr.thegamers.net http://sparsenal.thegamers.net New pages coming out next week. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 13
- 6/19/2000 2:10:00 PM   
Belaja smert

Thanks for the info, WB! I just have to try to be patient enough to read those guides and not just PLAY, PLAY, PLAY!!! Belaja smert

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

Post #: 14
- 6/19/2000 8:31:00 PM   
Charles22

Drake666: I have the book, and what a beaut!!! It was actually classified information at one time. This book (maybe between 600-1000 pages) has all the look and feel of that era. There's no color pictures or glossy layouts, but believe me, after seeing that book, you wouldn't want it that way, though those sort of books are very nice too. It was published fairly recently (still in publication?) and is a masterpiece. I've never seen anything like it. For all those out there who don't know, it's called a handbook, but the 8 1/2 X 11 hardback edition I have, begs to differ.

Post #: 15
- 6/21/2000 4:50:00 PM   
victorhauser

My first introduction to the Handbook on German Military Forces happened back in the "olden days" when a game called PanzerBlitz was popular. In the designer's notes to that game, Jame Dunnigan made reference to both the Handbook on German Military Forces and the Handbook on Soviet Military Forces. In addition, there is a Handbook on Japanese Military Forces. However, while both the Soviet and Japanese Handbooks are excellent resources, neither is as comprehensive as the German Handbook. I highly recommend getting all three, though, if you can. They've been invaluable to me for many many years.

VAH

Post #: 16
- 6/21/2000 4:56:00 PM   
victorhauser

Errata... His name is James Dunnigan, author and game designer.

VAH

Post #: 17
- 6/21/2000 9:57:00 PM   
Charles22

victorhauser: Yes, I've never seen the other editions you mentioned. Have you ever seen the book which covers basically day-by-day accounts of events on all the fronts? It's Quite an interesting book as well.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> AI clairfication Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI