Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bridges

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Bridges Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bridges - 6/19/2000 8:44:00 PM   
Panther

Is there a possibility to make certain bridges extremely hard to destroy. What I mean by that is the huge bridges accross major rivers. These structures required major time consumption to destroy properly. The reason I ask this is that I played a sceneraio where I had to cross a bridge to get to the objective and what happened is as soon as I got to the bridges an altilery barage desroyed all of the bridges and the scenerio was pretty much over. The bridge spanned a river about 200 yards wide. To my understanding that should have been a very solid steel structure accross the river that would have been very hard to destroy by 150 mm altilery or an engineer unit. Propably very hard for and engeneer unit unless he would do nothing for several turns but try to destry the bridge. It is hard to simulate fighting for cerain bridges now especially the large ones accross the rhine when the bridges just fall down.

Post #: 1
- 6/19/2000 9:09:00 PM   
Spunkgibbon

I'm with Panther on this one. River crossings are an interesting challenge but become kinda impossible when a couple of spans have been accidentally destroyed and infantry are forced to cross the gap in their little rubber boats of doom. Concrete road bridges and railways bridges should be tougher but I reckon wooden bridges are OK as they are. That wooden bridge in 'Cross of Iron' wouldn't take too much to knock out (or at least render uncrossable to anything but infantry) for example. Having said this there is a little workaround you can do for large bridges in scenario and map design. If you make a two lane bridge (two roads/railways next to each other across the water) and put land hexes under each one then although the bridge sections can still be destroyed the sandbar under them (or bridge trestle with a bit of imagination) can't be. It also makes two lane bridges look better as the narrow sandbar looks like an integral part of the bridge.

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Panther)
Post #: 2
- 6/19/2000 9:14:00 PM   
Panther

Good idea. Maybe just ignore bridges altogether and then just do a land bridge with a road on top of it. Panther

(in reply to Panther)
Post #: 3
- 6/19/2000 9:25:00 PM   
Jeff_Hradkowsky

How about in the next patch to have the ability to repair bridges or build the pontoon bridges by the engineers or some other type of Seabee class?

M.J.! We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to Panther)
Post #: 4
- 6/19/2000 9:26:00 PM   
WW2'er

Guys, In Version 2 it is supposed to be harder to destroy bridges. At least it will take higher caliber bombardments to get the job done. Man, I can't wait for the new version! WW2'er

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'

(in reply to Panther)
Post #: 5
- 6/19/2000 10:06:00 PM   
Wild Bill

You are right, WW2'er! It has been addressed by Michael Wood. Wooden bridges must take a direct hit from 105 or higher. Concrete bridges 150mm or higher. Bridges will not fall as easily as before. Be nice to see how this works with all of you. So far I've been pleased with it. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Panther)
Post #: 6
- 6/20/2000 12:17:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

quote:

Originally posted by WW2'er: Man, I can't wait for the new version!
And so say all of us

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Panther)
Post #: 7
- 6/20/2000 1:18:00 AM   
Charles22

I'm not aware of the scenario to which y'all speak, but in general, I would say a way to get around the bridge being destroyed by bombardment, would be to outflank it with infantry well away from the bridge and march towards it. If the flanking is far enough away, you may be able to expect no resistance crossing the river and you might sneak in some armor out of sight to deal with any immediate problems for the intial river crossing (supporting the flank, but not able to cross with the infantry of course). If the bridge is taken, with noone getting on it before the infantry have cleared the area, the armor can have a en masse crossing where hopefully the enemy cannot spot it anymore, and if they do, you'll likely at least get a few tanks across. What's the worst that can happen to the armor? They hit the hex with tanks and the tanks in that hex or hexes go, otherwise the tanks cross on one side of the barrage, and on the other they go back and fire long-range if possible. It might help for the bridge area to be well saturated with smoke (which of course might be a good idea for the initial flanking infantry-crossing). Think any of these ideas might play out?

(in reply to Panther)
Post #: 8
- 6/20/2000 3:54:00 AM   
Dean Robb

I'm all for bridges being tougher - historically they were mothers to drop with air/indirect fires. HOWEVER!!! We need engineers to be able to blow them. Maybe add as a weapon type a Demolition Kit for bridges?

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to Panther)
Post #: 9
- 6/20/2000 4:44:00 AM   
schmoe

Certain bridges should be immpossible in game time to destroy with artillery at all. Putting land under it is a nice workaround, but the problem really should eventually be addressed directly. There were a couple bridges in Vietnam which took many, many bombs and didn't fall. We finally dropped spans using 2000lb laser guided bombs, which are many times as powerful as even 8" projectiles (200lb) and were directed against "weak" points on the bridge.

(in reply to Panther)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Bridges Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI