Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

P-40 bomb load

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> P-40 bomb load Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
P-40 bomb load - 2/16/2005 6:04:46 PM   
madmickey

In the computer database The P40N bomb load is 500 lb. in the aircraft data of the fighter squadron it is listed as 2 (100 lb.) which is correct? The Kittyhawk III (Brit version of P40N) has a 500 lb bomb load.
Post #: 1
RE: P-40 bomb load - 2/16/2005 6:29:20 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: madmickey

In the computer database The P40N bomb load is 500 lb. in the aircraft data of the fighter squadron it is listed as 2 (100 lb.) which is correct? The Kittyhawk III (Brit version of P40N) has a 500 lb bomb load.

I think someone else (or was it you?) asked this in another thread. They didn't get an answer.

Another thing - iirc, the reason the P40E is supposed to have a shorter range is because of the "increased bomb load" over the P40B. But, again iirc - the P40B has the same loadout as the E in the game (2 x 100 lb). I could be wrong on this, but i don't have access to the game database right now.

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 2
RE: P-40 bomb load - 2/16/2005 7:01:54 PM   
madmickey

I asked in the regular forum. Will try again there.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: P-40 bomb load - 2/17/2005 4:57:51 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: madmickey

I asked in the regular forum. Will try again there.

OK - since no help has been forthcoming, here are some basic facts about the P40B and P40E as far as i can deterrmine.

P40B - as far as i can find had no provisions for external or internal bombs. However, i suspect some ground crew along the way figured out a way to attach a bomb or two with baling wire and chewing gum.

P40E - apparently had provisions for 6 x 20 pound bombs on wing racks and a fuselage mount that could carry either a 500 pound bomb OR a 51 Imperial Gallon drop tank.

So, i think the standard WITP model has both aircraft loads wrong - giving bombs to the P40B, and subtracting bombs from the P40E. (I am going from memory so i could be wrong here).

However, i am no "wing nut" - maybe operationally they did things quite differently than the design listed above. Maybe they never used a 500 pound (or 250 pound) bomb in the P40E for some reason.

One of the things that remains unclear to me is the different loadouts of the aircraft in WITP. I think they can vary from what is listed in the WITP database, but i don't know when and how these variations are made. Maybe one of the mod-ers can shed light on this.

EDIT: To get some interest in this subject, i will throw in a fact i learned along the way (and was somewhat dismayed to find): The Brits got the P40, and considered it inferior to the Messerscmidt and the Spitfire, and relegated to training and/or ground attack. Or gave it to the Australians...

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 2/17/2005 11:59:44 AM >

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 4
RE: P-40 bomb load - 2/17/2005 5:32:45 PM   
Hard Sarge

Well for the last part, the 109 and Mc 202 pretty much owned the P-40 in NA, they couldn't compete at med/high alt, so they flew low, and as soon as a bad guy was seen, they went into Lufberry circles

in the PTO, it was a fast plane, that if it got into trouble could outdive anything the other side had (Ki-61 excluded) but in the ETO, it wasn't as fast as what the other side had, and it couldn't outdive them (helps to outdive if you have alt on your side, flying low, it is HARD to dive :) )

as for giving them to the Aussies, don't worry, they gave them to the south Africans and New Zealanders too

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> P-40 bomb load Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI