Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/24/2000 9:20:00 AM   
defenseman

quote:

Originally posted by victorhauser: How does somebody go about setting up a fair tournament when one nation has 300+ different unit types to choose from but all the other nations have 200 or less? For that matter, how does one go about arranging a fair PBEM game under the same circumstances?
Hi Victorhauser, I don't know who this was directed at, but I have a suggestion that my roommate and a PBEM opponent are going to use; play each scenario as a Swiss-style tourament. Each person plays each side, and then you compare total VPs. I can't remember if SPWAW shows VP for both players at the end of a game, but it should. Hope this works for you. ------------------ Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 61
- 6/24/2000 9:44:00 AM   
victorhauser

An Addendum... The "Best of the Best", by the way, were the Mongol Armies of the 13th Century. They went for 60 years (that's right, 60 years, three whole generations) without losing a single battle of any significance. Of course, most of the world sees the Mongols as villains, too. This includes the Teutonic Knights that were slaughtered by them in the mid-13th Century.

VAH

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 62
- 6/24/2000 11:33:00 AM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by victorhauser: How do you keep the game linked to the campaign after you edit it from a campaign battle to a scenario? I tried to do this back when I was playing SP3 and gave up.
Hello, I just take my save after I've deployed, change it to a scen file, edit, then change back to the original save file again, just resume, don't do it during the battle, as it will restart the scenario at turn 1!! Works without a hitch, and much more fun, if I had just a bit more time, I would like to join in on Drake66's idea of choosing the enemy forces!! Hope this helps, ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 63
- 6/24/2000 12:22:00 PM   
troopie

Three peoples defeated the Mongols. The Japanese, aided by two "divine winds" typhoons striking the Mongol fleet at the right(wrong) moment. But of more tactical interest were victories over the Mongols by the Vietnamese, using doctrine that recalls that later used by Vo Nguyen Giap against the French and Americans, and the Afghans. Jalallah ed-Din,(sp?) an Afghan leader, made a career out of beating Mongol generals. Showing once again, that a good foreign policy is one that keeps you away from Afghanistan. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 64
- 6/24/2000 7:37:00 PM   
victorhauser

We're straying a bit (a LOT actually ) off topic, so I'll try to be brief. The Japanese and Vietnamese examples you referred to both occurred after the 60-year period I mentioned. And while Jal'al a Din (the son of the Shah Mohammed, ruler of the Kwarismian Empire consisting of the region containing what is today known as Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc.) did indeed cause the Mongols headaches, he did not actually "make a career" out of beating the Mongols because nobody, literally nobody, survived enough battles to do that. The Mongols made a ruthless point of chasing down and destroying anybody who might pose a threat to them. What he did was extraordinary enough, though. He survived Mongol pursuit for a long time, even after his father had been killed and his empire destroyed. Legend has it that during the Battle of the Indus River (which I think is one of the battles you referred to as one of Jal'al a Din's victories, but was actually a very hard-fought, bloody Mongol victory (which I guess was a victory of sorts for him)), he lept over a cliff as his last horse was being shot from under him and into the Indus River, firing arrows behind him as he escaped. Chingis Khan was reported to have said something (to his sons and generals nearby) along the lines of, "If the father had the ferocity of the son, we would have a much tougher campaign here. You would all do well to observe and learn from our formidable adversary." After which, of course, he had him hunted down. Trivial Tidbit of the Day: At it's height, in the late 13th Century, the Mongol Empire covered 1/3 of the entire land area on the planet, the largest empire in history. P.S. If any of you wish to continue this dialog, I'd be happy to correspond by email so as not to take up any more SPWAW topic space.

VAH

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 65
- 6/24/2000 7:53:00 PM   
victorhauser

I couldn't resist one final bit of Mongol trivia. During the movie "Conan the Barbarian" an Eastern Warlord is giving a victory feast and Conan is present at the celebration. During the feast, the father asks his sons, "What is best in life?" Each of the sons gives unsatisfactory answers, so the Warlord turns to Conan with the same question. Conan replies, "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." Well, it turns out that that is a quote directly attributed to Chingis Khan (note that "Genghis Khan" is a Westernized version of his title, which means ultimate (or perfect) leader (his given name was Temujin), much as Peking is a Westernized version of Beijing). Okay, okay, no more. I promise.

VAH

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 66
- 6/25/2000 4:08:00 AM   
Tombstone

The Japanese victory against the mongols can hardly count as anything affirmative as far as the Japanese are concerned. That's LUCK, I'm sure all of Japan realized that... hence the personifacation of an historical weather event. Tomo

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 67
- 6/25/2000 7:58:00 AM   
Charles22

Somehow, the Mongols leave me a bit on the unsavory side. Why, may you ask? Because mobile/airborne armanents I find just a wee bit more fascinating than shooting arrows off of a horse.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 68
- 6/25/2000 8:01:00 AM   
troopie

To bring this back to WW2. If the Germans get Gustav and Dora, the Americans should get Little David. This was a 914mm mortar built to as a bomb test launcher. It was realised that it would make a topping siege gun for the invasion of Japan and one was tested before the end of the war. The war ended before it could be used or any more built. But if the Germans get the Maus and the Rottkappchen... troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 69
- 6/25/2000 8:51:00 AM   
BA Evans

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone: ...That's LUCK, I'm sure all of Japan realized that... hence the personifacation of an historical weather event. Tomo
Didn't Napoleon say something like "I don't care who the GOOD officers are, give me the LUCKY ones!" BA Evans

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 70
- 6/25/2000 9:05:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

If we're going to the extreme of Gustav and Dora we need to give the Americans tactical Nukes in 45-46. The plan for the invasion of Kyushu called for the use of 3 nukes, 2 to blast the landing areas and one in reserve for any identified Japanese troop concentrations. The radiation sickness (yes, they knew about that) was deemed an acceptable loss vs the losses of taking a defended beach. On a more tactical note. It is likely that the allies would have fielded a lot of interesting stuff if the war had gone on a bit longer and it was needed. In addition to the Tortoise and Super Pershing and Little David (which, by the way,is at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland), the most important addition to the allied arsenal would have been SABOT! The British actually used some APDS late in the war(for the pitiful 6 pounder if memory serves). But into 1946, a US 90mm or British 20 pounder firing Sabot would have gone through a King Tiger like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 71
- 6/25/2000 9:37:00 AM   
Drake666

quote:

Originally posted by Kluckenbill: If we're going to the extreme of Gustav and Dora we need to give the Americans tactical Nukes in 45-46. The plan for the invasion of Kyushu called for the use of 3 nukes, 2 to blast the landing areas and one in reserve for any identified Japanese troop concentrations. The radiation sickness (yes, they knew about that) was deemed an acceptable loss vs the losses of taking a defended beach. On a more tactical note. It is likely that the allies would have fielded a lot of interesting stuff if the war had gone on a bit longer and it was needed. In addition to the Tortoise and Super Pershing and Little David (which, by the way,is at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland), the most important addition to the allied arsenal would have been SABOT! The British actually used some APDS late in the war(for the pitiful 6 pounder if memory serves). But into 1946, a US 90mm or British 20 pounder firing Sabot would have gone through a King Tiger like the proverbial hot knife through butter.
tactical Nukes would be cool. Drop one and watch everything on the board die in one big explosion.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 72
- 6/25/2000 9:41:00 AM   
Wild Bill

We ain't got a map that big WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 73
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI