Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Family Crisis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Family Crisis Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Family Crisis - 2/26/2005 3:55:13 AM   
KG Erwin

I have two sisters, one of which is a year younger than me. She is a diabetic, as I am, and is currently in hospital. She is starting to exhibit the nasty effects of long-term diabetes, and her health is failing. She is undergoing tests, EKG and the like. For fragile diabetics, there is a host of problems that can debilitate one. I'm 47, and have been lucky. I'm as strong as a horse. She is 46, and while I'm not religious, but I will ask for those of you who are to offer a prayer for my sweet sister. She is a wonderful person, with two sons, and I can't bear the thought of her succumbing to this disease at so young an age.

Post #: 1
RE: Family Crisis - 2/26/2005 4:17:11 AM   
KG Erwin

Follow-up: no evidence of heart disease , but maybe an onset of acid reflux, which is getting more common these days. (Whew) If that's all it is, it can be treated. However, for us diabetic folk, ANY additional condition (the flu or even a common cold), can screw us up for a while. Believe me, I know from personal experience. Last year, a bout of the flu nearly turned into pneumonia for me. Between my stubborn constitution and medications, I came out OK.

Lesson: if there is history of diabetes in your family, watch yourselves and your kids closely for signs of the disease.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Family Crisis - 2/26/2005 3:19:14 PM   
Huffy

Your sister will be in our prayers....I know more than I want to about your type of situation...my wifes family has a bad history of the disease...she lost her mother to it.
Be strong for her,...and take care,
Huffy

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Family Crisis - 2/26/2005 6:17:05 PM   
Alby

we wish you all the best

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 4
RE: Family Crisis - 2/26/2005 7:13:25 PM   
Riun T

Hey Gunny sorry to hear about your sister,my family and I seem to suffer alot of ailments in the past while aswell, I can really sympathize with what u were saying about one disease being a hell of a lot harder to kick when you run into some of the other bugs out there. I have Colitus{NASTY,NASTY,Poop problems}and in Nov. I got a harsh stomach flu, took 2 weeks of nothing but water and bed, and BATHROOM,toilet specificly to even start to move again. I think I'm fully recovered just now but I have to admit that from the time I got sick, the job I have contract from DeBeers had a rush period which ment a bunch of days on forklift out side in -25C to -45C throu Dec. and Jan.
Do you take alot of extra supliments,vitimins such as shark cartilage or Glucosimine Sulfate,I do alot of herbal and wholistic remidys to try to lessin the intensity of my attacks inside and build the old immune system stuff like acupuncture,moxibustion treatments, a regular trip to the YMCA or one of the public indoor pools here in saskatoon that all seem to have a sauna and whirlpool or STEAM ROOM that is gods gift to all us old battered wariors and I soak the old bones as often as i can and it may sound dumb but I think hot water has a good healing effect. Keep posting bud cause I'm here for U and the Family. Later RT

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Family Crisis - 2/26/2005 9:51:21 PM   
KG Erwin

Thanks for your support, guys. In my family, diabetes is unfortunately the "time-bomb" gene that we all carry. One of my sister's sons also has it, as does two of my Dad's siblings. This is Type I, the insulin-dependent variety, which is much worse than the Type II "adult onset" version. My mother developed Type II a year or so before she passed away, but her side of the family is thankfully free of the Type I gene.

Recent genetic research is promising, and a genetic implant to kick-start the body's insulin production is now in the animal-experimentation stage. I hope I stay around long enough to see it tested successfully in humans. I'd volunteer in a heartbeat , as I take two insulin injections each day.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/26/2005 2:52:33 PM >

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 6
RE: Family Crisis - 2/28/2005 12:03:40 AM   
Wild Bill

My heart and my prayer is with your Sister and your family. These are hard times for all of you. Keep us posted, Gunny!

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Family Crisis - 2/28/2005 6:16:57 PM   
Inuil

You have my best wishes for you and your family KG. I hope all will go better.
ESTIMADO AMIGO KG, COMO NO PUEDO HACERME ENTENDER MUY BIEN EN INGLES TE HE ESCRITO ESTO EN ESPAÑOL POR SI PUDIERAS TRADUCIRLO. SOLO DECIRTE QUE DESEO DE CORAZON QUE TU HERMANA SE PONGA MEJOR Y QUE TODOS ESTEIS BIEN.
UN ABRAZO MUY FUERTE DESDE ESPAÑA.
PASCUAL NAVARRO.

"Un soldado, es el hombre que se interpone entre el enemigo y su familia"
"A soldier is a man between enemy and his family"
Greek Words 1500bc
Pascual Navarro.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Family Crisis - 2/28/2005 11:49:15 PM   
Wild Bill

Inuil says to you in Spanish, just in case,

"My Esteemed friend,

Since I cannot make myself well understood in English, I have written you in Spanish in case you can translate it. The desire of my heart is that your sister's health improves and that all goes well.

A strong brothely hug from Spain

Pascual Navarro
---------------------------

Dispenseme el atrevimiento, Pascual in traducir esto para el Sargento....El Salvaje

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Inuil)
Post #: 9
RE: Family Crisis - 3/1/2005 12:30:40 AM   
KG Erwin

Thanks, Inuil, and thanks for the translation, Bill.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
RE: Family Crisis - 3/3/2005 11:28:15 AM   
John Galt

KG, my prayers and best wishes for your sister.

Experience is the teacher that gives the test first and the lesson last.

John Galt

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Family Crisis - 3/4/2005 6:18:32 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Your sister is covered Gunny, and you too!!

Hope my prayers are answered. Sometime I think HE is not listening. Other times though it all works out.

Keep the faith baby and hang in there!!

KED

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 12
RE: Family Crisis - 3/5/2005 12:29:34 AM   
Wild Bill

Give us an update, Gunny, when you can. We are all very concerned...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 13
RE: Family Crisis - 3/5/2005 3:11:14 AM   
KG Erwin

Followup: Sis has a severely infected ulcer. Jeez, no wonder she's had so much trouble.

This makes me wonder how I've done so well-- I drink too much and smoke like a freight train--this is how I handle my stress. However, I am happy, keep my sense of humor, and have a stable marriage to a young wife. I also listen to music a lot--this soothes the soul. I don't recommend this regimen to anyone, but so far it has worked for me. (Crossing fingers).

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 14
RE: Family Crisis - 3/5/2005 5:06:35 PM   
Wild Bill

Wow! Sorry to hear that. Like you, I engage in some habits that don't contribute to my health, but do contribute to my happiness. Should I give them up? I doubt it. My cholesterol is too high, so is my blood pressure. I ache a lot now and my recovering arm is giving me problems. Sometimes I suffer from shortness of breath.

Then I think, "If I give up my favorite foods, throw away all tobacco products and the peripherals, etc, etc, I might get healthier, then get hit by a truck!

I'm in no hurry to go, but I believe in my heart I am ready. How much do you give up in life?

I exercise every day, walking a few miles, and doing some in place stuff, but I'm now 68 and I'm glad for every day of life.

I know that you are too.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
RE: Family Crisis - 3/8/2005 4:19:28 PM   
robot

Every day I am able to open my eyes and see the room I feel lucky. This year I will be 74 and it has come to be a very happy surprise to me. Long ago I never ever expected to make it this far. Both my parents have long been gone. The only brother I had passed 2 years ago.

I have had 2 heart operations one in 1990 and the last one in 2002. For some reason the man up above has given me extra years to enjoy my wife of 45 years and my children. Why I have no idea. It sure is not for the life style I have lived over the years.

Each morning I wake up and can open my eyes and say hello to my wife is a big bounus. I know that during that day I can expect some ache or pain some where in this old body. The really great thing is my mind is active and alert. This allows me to use the computor and this in turn keeps my mind active and sharp.

Life is great today only my left knee aches.

PS: I too smoke like a fish and I guess I will to the very end of time for me. A terrible habit I know. But I started when I was nine and now its too late for me. But if any of you younger guys are smoking for your sake try to quit now. The money that you will have extra for other things should make it worth well to fight the devil weed. Let alone the misery it will cause you if you make it too my age.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
RE: Family Crisis - 3/8/2005 4:33:46 PM   
Goblin

I read something a comedian wrote once:

"One of these days, these health nuts are going to be laying in bed, dying of nothing. Then they are gonna wish they had had that pizza."

Sums it up for me.

Goblin

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 17
RE: Family Crisis - 3/8/2005 5:45:02 PM   
Wild Bill

I've quit worrying about dying. Its gonna happen, no matter what I do to prevent it. I'm in no hurry to go, but I believe I am ready. My faith teaches me that.

Like Robot, I'm a smoker. Please do not jump on my case about it. I'm aware of the problems and the inherent dangers involved. It is my choice. I still may quit. I don't smoke that much anymore. Probably sounds like excuses. Maybe they are.

But I'm enjoying life, everyday. I wake up as Robot and realize I'm still here. One day I'll wake up and be somewhere else. My response to that is the statement of the group, MercyMe: "I can only imagine." In the meantime its good to be alive!

I love this life and I think I will enjoy what is ahead even more!

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 18
RE: Family Crisis - 3/8/2005 7:06:52 PM   
Inuil

Muchisimas gracias will.. esto es providencial, hace algun tiempo contactamos y sabia que entendias mi idioma, y el dia que vi el correo de KG pense en decirte algo para que se lo tradujeras... como tambien lei en el forum que te habian operado, no quise molestarte.
Muchas gracias compañero!

Many thanks will ... this is providential. time ago we have contact and i know you understand and write spanish ( you said me). the day i have read the post of KG i thougth (brrrrrrrr!!! i´m not sure.. my english) to say it to you for help. but at this time i have read you just bad too... i didn´t like disturb you.
Many thanks again comrade.

< Message edited by Inuil -- 3/8/2005 5:15:12 PM >

"Un soldado, es el hombre que se interpone entre el enemigo y su familia"
"A soldier is a man between enemy and his family"
Greek Words 1500bc
Pascual Navarro.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
RE: Family Crisis - 3/9/2005 3:39:07 AM   
steelpanther

Am new to the web site but feel for you and your sister. My sister also has type 1 and 2 years ago (age 40) she lost sight in one eye. She is in good health but I know it takes alot out of her to take the shots every day 2x. You and your sister are now in my prayers each night. We may not know when our time will be up and for one I am glad of that. Live each day that is given to you as if it were your last and you will see what is important and what is not. About 7 years ago I lost everything in my life I thought was important (my wife, my 2 kids, and most of my financial security including my job). I am now married again with a great wife, 2 step kids and I own my first house. God works in mysterious ways but I believe he knows what he is doing.

God Bless

Ken

(in reply to Inuil)
Post #: 20
RE: Family Crisis - 3/9/2005 4:34:03 PM   
Wild Bill

Siempre a la orden, Inuil! Pero por lo que estoy leyendo, su ingles es perfecto y no necesita traduccion. Si me necesita, estoy aqui!

Always here to serve, Inuil. From what I'm reading, your English is perfect and you don't need to worry about translation. If you do, I am here.

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to steelpanther)
Post #: 21
RE: Family Crisis - 3/19/2005 2:39:46 AM   
Roo

Thats 2 more added to my number one prayer list.

Since a couple of weeks ago, my number one prayer has been that people with diabetes don't develop kidney problems and vice-versa.

I started working as an Ambulance Driver (non-emergency) in December, and recently I've been transporting someone who has both diabetes and needs dialysis. It is a most distressing combination, as the dialysis plays havoc with the blood sugar levels.

(Don't worry, everyone else gets on the other prayer list ;) )

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Family Crisis Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI