Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mark 13 drag ring.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Mark 13 drag ring. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mark 13 drag ring. - 2/26/2005 4:10:56 AM   
von Murrin

I'd heard about this device several times before, but never got around to looking for a picture or performance data.

US WW2 torpedo info and pics of the drag ring assembly.<-[Link] (The rest of the site is cool too.)

From the site:
quote:

The early models were handicapped by the need to drop them low and slow - 50 feet (15 m) and 110 knots - which made the torpedo planes more vulnerable to attack. The torpedoes themselves were found to be prone to defects. In mid-1943 an analysis of 105 torpedoes dropped at speeds in excess of 150 knots found that 36 percent ran cold (did not start), 20 percent sank, 20 percent had poor deflection performance, 18 percent gave unsatisfactory depth performance, 2 percent ran on the surface and only 31 percent gave a satisfactory run. The total exeeds 100 percent as many torpedoes had more than one defect. Later models had fin stabilizers, nose drag rings and tail shroud rings, all of which worked to slow the torpedo after it was dropped so that it struck the water at an acceptable speed. These improved the drop characteristics such that the recommended aircraft maximum launch parameters were increased to a height of 2,400 feet (730 m) and a speed of 410 knots.

The addition of the nose drag ring improved aerodynamic performance by stabilizing the torpedo in flight and reduced air speed by about 40 percent. It also acted as a shock absorber when the torpedo struck the water. The tail shroud ring improved the water run by reducing hooks and broaches and by eliminating much of the water roll which had characterized the earlier Mark 13s. Hot, straight and normal runs now approached 100 percent. To speed availability of the much improved torpedo, the Bureau of Ordnance had tail assemblies built with the shroud ring attached and then shipped these to the fleet. By the fall of 1944 the modified torpedo was in general use by the front-line carrier units which were enthusiastic in their praise. On one occasion in early 1945, six torpedoes were dropped from altitudes between 5,000 and 7,000 feet (1,500 to 2,100 m). Five out of the six were observed to make their runs hot, straight and normal. By the end of the war, the USN considered the Mark 13 to be the best aircraft torpedo in service by any nation.

That's fecking incredible!

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!
Post #: 1
RE: Mark 13 drag ring. - 2/26/2005 8:39:17 PM   
rtrapasso

Fortunately, they don't mention that it was probably the WORST air-dropped torpedo at the beginning of the war. It often came apart if dropped at the "proper" and suicidal altitude/speed of only <50 feet and <110 kts, and even then it didn't work well with over 1/3 failing to start their motors, and another 1/5 sank immediately - so over 1/2 never even started toward the target. Those torpedoes that had motors that did start tended to porpoise, and the few that hit had a VERY high rate of duds. Lots of good men died trying to deliver these things early in the war, only to have them malfunction/dud, etc.

The improvement by the end of the war really WAS incredible, though.

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Mark 13 drag ring. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI