Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITP v. UV

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> WITP v. UV Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITP v. UV - 4/5/2005 9:48:08 PM   
Canoerebel

Gents,

Just wondering....now that WITP has been out awhile and is getting much play, are you enjoying it? I'm just wondering if all the micro-management detracts from playability. If so, gamers may return to UV. On the other hand, if experienced WITP players still feel that it is head and shoulders above UV, then I'll have to consider making the purchase. What say you???

Canoerebel

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Post #: 1
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/6/2005 8:59:15 AM   
pad152

In UV one mistake can cost you a game, in Witp as allies you can loss all your carriers and still make a comeback in 1943.

Micro-management, yes there is more management in Witp but, you get use to it. The first turn can take a week to complete, there is so much to do but, after that the game turns take about 15 min on avg.

If you really like UV, then you should pick-up Witp,the hugh map gives you a lot of room to attack from different areas and try different stratgies. The full editor allows you to add new ship, aircraft, and weapon types as well as design smaller scenarios.

I haven't gone back to UV yet, maybe someday.

< Message edited by pad152 -- 4/6/2005 9:02:47 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/6/2005 7:34:57 PM   
Miller

I am not going to get WITP simply because it is just too big and complex, even if I could pick it up for nothing. Perhaps if I was retired I could devote the amont of time needed to it but alas this is 30+ years in the future

Another downer is that playing a whole campaign PBEM would take at least a year based on 3/4 turns a day - and too many people would be tempted to drop out long before that if things go badly...

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 3
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/6/2005 10:12:15 PM   
pad152

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

I am not going to get WITP simply because it is just too big and complex, even if I could pick it up for nothing. Perhaps if I was retired I could devote the amont of time needed to it but alas this is 30+ years in the future

Another downer is that playing a whole campaign PBEM would take at least a year based on 3/4 turns a day - and too many people would be tempted to drop out long before that if things go badly...
quote:

Witp has saved me money haven't purchased many games after I got it. I play about an hour a day, instead of watching TV. The AI will give a good run while learning the game for the first six months.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 4
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/8/2005 3:25:05 AM   
Shadow of the Condor

In a word, no. Probably a great product, but UV is enough to keep me happy :)

And, no, I hadn't disappeared completely. The abandonment of the last PBEM really kind of soured me - but that has past and I still have been still popping in back and forth.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/8/2005 8:11:11 AM   
rogueusmc

I still have one UV game going PBEM.

I enjoy them both...each present it's own challenges.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Shadow of the Condor)
Post #: 6
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/10/2005 6:30:03 PM   
CMDRMCTOAST

I have 2 WITP games going and 3 UV games, health problems have
prevented me from getting out a lot of turns lately but I enjoy both games
and plan on playing both for years to come...

The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 7
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/11/2005 11:03:37 PM   
6971grunt

I think that both games are superior. It was nice that 2by3 used the same system to develope WITP as was designed in UCV, it made the learning curve much less of a curve. This system could easily be used for a game concerning WWI [now in development] that could make trench fighting attractive to the gamer again [where the typical game offensive was "3 yards and a cloud of dust" making it boring].

Both games provide the players with options and strategies that were not historically taken and to explore those options is quite a treat. I for one enjoy this most of all - to be able to do the unconventional within the historical context is a terrific option. They are both great.

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 8
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/19/2005 12:32:47 PM   
sneaky_jap

What we need is Scenario 16,17,19 from UV For WITP.
Leave production off.

"just my 2 centences"

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/20/2005 7:05:46 PM   
ltfightr

What we need is Scenario 16,17,19 from UV For WITP.
Leave production off.

"just my 2 centences"

Scenario 17 is a scenerio in WITP and Production is off....

(in reply to sneaky_jap)
Post #: 10
RE: WITP v. UV - 4/20/2005 11:03:57 PM   
sneaky_jap

Scen 17 in UV is 1 may 42 to Dec 43, 20 months.
Witp 1 may 42 to Feb 43,10 months.

Time frame in UV give time for different strategies.
Would like to see EXACT or close to same scenarios.
This is most interesting part of war for me and probably others.
If these were included UV players sitting on the fence might buy
WITP. They could use all the new features of WITP and not worry about production
political points etc etc.These are the units you get this is when you get them.

If they were official scenarios from Matrix,they could announce on the fourm..
"Hey all you UV fanatics play all your favorite scenarios using all the bell and whistles of
WITP!" They might sell a few more copies.

Jack

(in reply to ltfightr)
Post #: 11
RE: WITP v. UV - 5/6/2005 11:46:14 AM   
1275psi

pad 152 - 15 mins for a turn!!!!
you must be allies, i take an hr minimum, playing as japan, how do you not overlook stuff!!!

Ive got 2 WITP games, and against wobbly Im hanging in there with a UV game
UV, is a breeze, fun, this takes 15 minutes a turn, and it aint nearly as serious
WITP needs committment. Full stop.
Not prepared to actually fight a war, then dont start I think

WITP is though fabulous with the editor, and you can with effort set up your own What ifs- Id love to see a battle in 42, the decisive battle doctrine - american battle fleet dogging it out with the jap battle line.

Anyway, both are fabulous in my opinion, best entertainment dollar i will ever, ever spend.

(in reply to sneaky_jap)
Post #: 12
RE: WITP v. UV - 5/6/2005 9:42:45 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Once you get into a rythm as the IJN (remembering which operations are ongoing, etc.), 15 min. turns are pretty easy to do. Starting new operations always takes longer. It's the guys that have numerous pbems going at the same time that I can't comprehend.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 13
RE: WITP v. UV - 5/11/2005 5:37:32 AM   
spence

I've got 2 UV PBEM games going and just started my first WiTP PBEM (scen 15).
The UV games usually take longer to download/upload over my creaky dial-up connection than I spend actually making my move. It's easy to make a move a day in both games and still have time for stuff like a wife and a life. I've messed around with WiTP against the AI and got one of those games up to May 42 without undue strain. I really don't remember when I started the game though but I probably averaged 2 turns a day cause I've only had the game for 4 months. But now I've started a campaign in WiTP with one day turns and even as the Allies it takes up a lot of time. I understand that on the first turn there's a lot to do and that it should decrease as you get things going but so far I've spent at least 2 and 1/2 hours making that first move (excluding time spent watching the combat replay) and I've
still got a whole bunch more to do. If I manage 1 turn a day I think I'll be doing good. As it is I figure that this one PBEM will be a project I can spend the rest of my life on (I'm 55 now) - it's fun - so I don't mind, but I don't think I'll start any other WiTP games while this one continues - just takes up too much time for any more.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 14
RE: WITP v. UV - 5/25/2005 10:38:08 PM   
John III

I have played UV for a year and have had several campaigns going through email. The AAR that Dan and I have going over the Copperas Bowl heading has been a lot of fun.

I have fallen in love with WitP. The complexity and detail is fabulous! As noted earlier, one mistake does not cost you the war. The larger and more complex scope is breathtaking. The game does take quite a while to get going and do turns but is rewarding.

UV is simpler and has different challenges. It is good but I prefer WitP's scope and scale.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 15
RE: WITP v. UV - 5/26/2005 9:52:39 PM   
Canoerebel

So that's why you've disappeared from our UV game.....

(in reply to John III)
Post #: 16
RE: WITP v. UV - 6/14/2005 10:20:57 PM   
jeffs

Mine too!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 17
RE: WITP v. UV - 11/18/2005 7:18:19 PM   
canadaexile

I still like playing UCV. In fact I am still learning the finer details of the game. I have incorporated all the patches and updated files from 'spooky's web site. (Great site)
However I was hoping that Matrix would lower the price of WITP now that it is in its second year. At present with 3 kids in toe I cannot justify the price tag of $90 to my missus for a computer game!!!!!!!
I would like to say that from seeing all the 'additions' on the spooky site the graphics of the ships in WITP are a lot better than UCV. Not only that but you have the whole of the pacific to contend with, truly a massive undertaking.
My view is that if people can afford the WITP game then they should buy it and download add-ons etc as required.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> WITP v. UV Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI