Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Please report Game Results!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> After Action Reports >> RE: Please report Game Results! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/3/2005 1:52:47 AM   
5cats

Hummm, hard to picture teh Axis winning without Autovictory in PBEM.
Of course against the AI... lol!
I tried beating up Sweden once or twice, against AI, but found it took too many troops which could be better employed elsewhere.

No Will but Thy Will
No Law but the Laws You make

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 31
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/3/2005 1:54:52 AM   
Manfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: CharonJr

Very good point about getting closer to autovictory without involving the US/Russia this way.

CharonJr

you should read my AAR above

"Nous vaincrons parce que nous sommes les plus forts."
Paul Reynaud, 20/03/1940

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 32
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/3/2005 4:53:08 AM   
MrQuiet

quote:

Hummm, hard to picture teh Axis winning without Autovictory in PBEM.

All they have to do to win is survive until fall46, not really all that hard to picture.

(in reply to 5cats)
Post #: 33
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/4/2005 2:15:11 AM   
Grotius

Game type: PBEM
Scenario: 1940
Difficulty: Advanced Supply On, Auto-Supply, otherwise defaults
Victory level: Decisive Axis Victory
Key turning points: (1) Taking Spain/Gibraltar (2) Taking Suez
(3) High German tank tech (4) German U-Boats
Last Turn Save: Ditto

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 34
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/4/2005 2:17:55 AM   
Grotius

Game type: AI
Scenario: 1943; I played Japan only
Difficulty: Challenging
Victory Level: Marginal Axis
Victory Points: 2585 Axis to 2501 Allied
Key turning points: The Wallies seem to content themsselves with picking off my transports. Only on the very last turn did the Wallies take Wake Island from me. I held Rabaul, Truk, Gilberts, Marianas, Bonins, Mandalay, Rangoon, and SRA all the way to end.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 35
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/8/2005 1:29:27 PM   
dembe73

Game type: pbem

Game difficulty: advanced supply

Victory level: autovictory Axis
Points awarded for each side: Axis - 4458 Allied - 1594

Key turning points or deciding factors: Quick Axis capture of Gibraltar. Invasion of Russia with both Japan and Germany taking huge amounts of ground.

Early D-Day in 1941 destroying Western France with the u-boat fleet inside to prevent auto-victory happening early, retreat from the German East Front to respond to allied threat. Too fast counter attack of Russia with many units against high tech Germans and Japanese following capture of Russia. English invasion in Gibraltar and Italy leading to Italian surrender prior to US entry.

End game: insuffient American ground troops to hold a beachhead after Russia was taken out. Late US entry because no Chinese non-coastal province taken.

Issues, Bugs or problems: No bugs encountered. The way you will be moved out of Russia or China with the WA after liberating them is annoying though, it makes it possible for the Axis to get an autovictory with very small amounts of troops left.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 36
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/8/2005 1:35:24 PM   
dembe73

Victroy level: Axis autovictory

Points awarded for each side: didnt save the last file

Key turning points or deciding factors: Succesfull Sealion, taking out WA threat early. Destroying most of the WA transport capability.

Issues, Bugs or problems: autovictory prior to US entry probably has too low number of points because only a few territories in Russia are needed if you can take all undefended WA territory.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 37
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/8/2005 1:42:07 PM   
dembe73

Game difficulty: advanced supply, no end date
Victory level: Axis victory, player gave up

Points awarded for each side: dunno
Key turning points or deciding factors: Early u-boat war. Succesfull Sealion, taking out WA threat early, Japanese/German combined offensive in Russia with very high tech German tanks against inferior Soviet material.

Issues, Bugs or problems: If people do not invest in similar technology good tanks cannot be stopped in any way.

< Message edited by dembe73 -- 5/8/2005 2:45:46 PM >

(in reply to dembe73)
Post #: 38
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/12/2005 5:17:33 AM   
Grotius

Game Type: AI (I had China/USSR/WA, AI had Axis)
Game Difficulty: "Challenging", with Adv Supply and Auto-Supply and Fog of War ON
Victory Level: Total Allied Victory
Score: Allied 7033, Axis 101
Key turning points: Won the Pacific War first, in early 1945; had to assault West Germany about 3 or 4 straight turns with both Sovs and WAllies before I finally took it in late '45 or early '46.
Bugs: At one point, it seemed the game had a pathing problem with strategic movement of supply from the US east coast to Russia (lend-lease). It would deliver 2 trucks, then say illegal move; but if I moved the cursor back to the USA, I would be able to deliver two more trucks. A minor irritation.

(in reply to dembe73)
Post #: 39
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/12/2005 8:02:31 AM   
pyrhic

Type: 1x1 pbem

scenario:1940, advanced supply, no auto, no area supply

Result: Axis decisive victory

Methods employed: axis teched up/built tac bombers. took over the med, Hitting with 10 plus bombers/round the few fighters i could put up couldnt stop it. Took england with 1 militia and a paratroop. only declared war on russia/usa in F42 and won the game by autovictory in like Su43 or Sp43. Russia in particular totally overpowered the germans, but needed another round to prevent the autovictory - despite taking romania...

bugs: for some reason after turkey became allied and a WA fleet was in the black sea, a german/china combat marker appeared in instanbul and wouldn't go away (or do anything other than stay there)...

< Message edited by pyrhic -- 5/12/2005 8:04:21 AM >

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 40
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/12/2005 9:12:00 AM   
wobbly

1 vs 1 game
1940 scenario
Advanced supply, no area supply

Allied Victory by surrender of Axis opponent in 1943

Um, not entirely sure how this occured. First game by me in PBEM and I think I got a bit of luck. Early losses to Axis included loosing Suez and Gibralter - yuk yuk.
Loss of Suez meant loss of India (eventually and despite trying to heavily reinforce Western India - he bought 4 tanks!).
The British saved the day - garrisoned the Marocco with FB, arty and fighter which allowed me to hit his transports off the coast of Spain. RN covers entrance from Med into Atlantic and the Irish sea.
He set up for a tag team against Russia and I managed to pull off an invasion of Western Europe. he booted me out and spanked most of the RN. But it managed to make him postpone his Russian invasion a turn.
RN recovered faster than KM and conducted attack of Norway (he had taken this too).

He should have attacked Russia in the next turn (I think he had supply problems) but didn't and the next turn was Winter.

Russians researching fighters and artillery plus a bit on infantry and tanks. He has 9, 9 tanks and attacks ( I have land attack 8 arty - about 15 of).
I heavily reinforce Kharkov and Leningrad (5 arty, 3 fighter, 18 or so assorted infantry each) while leaving Moscow relatively empty. I also put large hurdles based mainly on upgraded fighters and tanks against Japs. I don't attack but set up pincers to cut off his German tanks if he does a two location move. I target his airpower with my Russian fighters managing to cull about 4 or 5 per turn (for the loss of about the same myself, but the German subs have been hurt and I am getting Allied aid to Russia). The allies are doing the same on the Western front. Other bad move by him this turn as he leaves 3 tanks in a location by themselves airpower hits all 3 - luck again for the newby.

Supplies during this time have risen to about 180 for Russians so I give about 40 to the Chinese (who have been nuetered by Jap bombing). They manage to attack and take fuchon (sp).

Allies attack and take Spain - massive combined attacks here - naval bombers, heavy bombers and range 2 fighters. Then 2 arty and 2 infantry with 3 BBs bombarding - really lucky here - just looking to cull numbers but actually manage to take the place (more dead resources). Move in a smattering of units as I have culled them hard on my attacks - but I have also stomped on his transports so a weakly defended UK is still pretty safe.

Next turn he spanks Spain - taking it back and tries to take kharkov - it holds but looses about 10 infantry and damages 2 arty. Japs roll on into Siberia.
I don't retaliate at all in Russia - again putting up blocking force against Japs but Allies bomb factories in West Germany and resupply Russia.

Then the kicker - he moves on Moscow with all his tanks and puts in some rail to move up infantry and AAA. Japs move on America as 1943 rolls over. but wait - it's winter...

Massive Russian attacks from Leningrad and Kharkov smash through centre. I kill about 18 assorted units for the loss of about 8. The important thing is I manage to get 2 land areas between help and the Germans outside Moscow - they are surrounded and out of supply. 6 of his priceless tanks will go into the bag. Another attack by China takes th eland area North of Fuchon (sp) and a single supply given to the Militia in Mongolia is enough to move them to the rail line, which is unguarded, to the Jap front lines.

yanks are in the match and the Germans are in massive trouble - opponent gives up.

(in reply to pyrhic)
Post #: 41
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/15/2005 10:31:48 AM   
dembe73

Victory level: 1943 or 1944: Allied player surrenders

Points awarded for each side:

Key turning points or deciding factors: Chinese conquest, early won Battle of Britain, destruction of WA shipping capability. 67 resources for Axis at this point and invasion of Australia starting next turn.

Issues, Bugs or problems: None encountered

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 42
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/16/2005 10:54:46 AM   
dembe73

Victory level: Axis get autovictory in Summer 1943

Points awarded for each side: 4359 Axis -1849

Key turning points or deciding factors: double team on Russia. This time the Russians were not overrun, but they didnt manage to get the Japanese out as well. The whole front held. Germany took Sweden and then moved into Turkey to attack Caucasus in the back.

German victory against the Caucausus with marginal forces (9 ground attackers vs 14 defenders before bombing started). Repairing the resources. Although the Germans captured the Middle East, they would be driven back on all fronts in the next turn. All the WA did wrong was not bomb all German factories in reach in Spring 1943 to stop this, because tactically all defense lines were overstretched and it would be an Allied victory a few turns later probably. Before the victory Axis were at 50 points and had just invaded the SRA.

Issues, Bugs or problems: very exciting game but it felt like land grabbing in the end.

(in reply to dembe73)
Post #: 43
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/21/2005 1:18:02 PM   
pyrhic

Game type:pbem 1x1

Scenario: 1940 campaign

Victroy: F45, Total Allied Victory ~ 6500 to 600

Axis set up for a conventional two pronged, german/japanese, soviet attack after seizing spain, norway, gibralter. Allies conserved strength, but seized all of non-vichy african med while axis was busy in north. Subtly moving my ships around I lured the axis into overconfidence. On the eve of the invasion of russia, destroyed all axis shipping in the med, repositioned transports and successfully landed in southern italy! Italy surrenders, including the entire garrison of northern italy. Allies swoop in and take the fortified territory uncontested (pivotal point).

Axis siphons off a portion of the russian attack to deal with the italian situation, but still goes ahead. Japan attack is pretty well done, pushing russia back to the urals. Meanwhile the german offensive, lacking resources that are attempting to clear norther italy, is faltering while russia mounts a counterattack on two fronts (aided by an aggressive china). West allied pours EVERYTHING into northern italy and it holds (so very barely). Meanwhile russia is nearing it's original borders and the us is entering the war.

Japans entry into war with the west is faulty. Realing from defeats in siberia and china, she is ill equiped to go to war with the US or the commonwealth. A skilled counterattack sends her precious carriers to the bottom of the central pacific and a screen of subs wreak havock on her underdefended transports. Soon she sits idle, her still sizable fleet overextended and without supplies. The allies creep in, land in hokkaido and then in the south. In the spring of 45, she surrenders.

Germany sees the handwriting on the wall and slowly pulls its armies back. Over 80 units make the final stand in West Germany, including 15+ tanks, 20+ artillery and 13 AA guns. This massive, well supplied, force requires patience, and for almost a year the allies build their forces and prepare for the onslaught. The offensive starts in Spring 45, and 2 seasons later the Western allies are victorious.

It was a good game, but it ended a little dull.There were some bad glitches near the end but these were due to the patch (things like my own forces opfiring on planes, research beakers showing wrong research values)

(in reply to dembe73)
Post #: 44
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/22/2005 10:22:13 PM   
Ron

Game type: PBEM vs Big Lou

Scenario: SPRING 1940

Game difficulty: Advanced Supply/FOW/AV/End Date

Victroy level: Axis Auto Victory Spring 1943

Points awarded for each side: ~4800-1900

Key turning points or deciding factors:

I normally play semi-historically, but by Win41 of this game I was hopelessly behind in tech vs the WAllies who had got 1 or 2 advances all across the board - Infantry/Artillery/Fighters/CAG/Light and HeavyFleets. That's not even considering the burgeoning Russia with a huge buildup in Artillery and Tanks with the subsequent tech lead in each also. The Atlantic was a Sub deathtrap so Germany concentrated on making the Med their own and subsequently Africa and India. Periodic forays over England to keep them honest and even a successful invasion of Scotland to keep them busy allowed the slow repair of Resources. Japan slowly buildt up her supplies and Transports while keeping China down before attacking Win43. At the end Germany had Tanks/Sub/Fighters and TAC at high enough tech levels to compete but was hopelessly outnumbered.

Issues, Bugs or problems:

The huge WAllied tech lead by Win41 threw me for a loop and kind of lessened the enjoyment - as I said earlier I like to play semi-historically. After the Auto Victory screen came on and I closed it, it booted me to the main menu not allowing me to save and send to my opponent. I'm attaching the last Axis turn.

Ron

Attachment (1)

Post #: 45
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/28/2005 1:12:11 PM   
a511

Game type: Vs AI

Scenario: Sp40 (Russia, China, WA under my control)

Game difficulty: Normal (cost its my first game playing the Allies) w/ adv supply on, fuel on (patch 1.033)

Victroy level: Decisive Victory in Wi45

Points awarded for each side: Allies ~6730 vs Axis 70

Key turning points or deciding factors: Russia able to hold Germany's attack in Su41 and Allies landing in Southern Europe in Au41. Delay in ending the war due to inexperience in handling the pacific war (esp. logistic mgt).

Issues, Bugs or problems: Russia air units Op-fire by Allies units

cant upload the save game file not support sav files?

AN

< Message edited by a511 -- 5/28/2005 1:15:44 PM >

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 46
RE: Please report Game Results! - 5/29/2005 2:13:43 PM   
dembe73

Game difficulty: adv supply on, fuel on (patch 1.033)

Victory level: Axis autovictory Fall 1942

Points awarded for each side: Axis 4102- Allies 1969

Key turning points or deciding factors: Japanese conquest of China. Axis capture all European Neutrals and Middle-East. WA made one or 2 errors with counter invasions and do not manage to stop shipping routes that get the resources back to Germany.

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 47
RE: Please report Game Results! - 6/1/2005 8:46:08 PM   
dembe73

Victory level: Allied Total Victory Fall 1945

Points awarded for each side: Axis 330- Allies 7082

Deciding factors:

Failed Sealion left Germany weak. Japan did ok taking out India. Germany was quickly run over by the Russians, but Japan held till Fall 45.

(in reply to dembe73)
Post #: 48
RE: Please report Game Results! - 6/2/2005 7:56:18 PM   
dembe73

Victory level: Axis autovictory
Points awarded for each side: Axis 4398 - Allies 1913

Deciding factors:

Germans win fleet war. Late but succesfull sealion destroying basically all WA forces. Japan took whole China and most of SRA, but didnt have to repair everything.

(in reply to dembe73)
Post #: 49
RE: Please report Game Results! - 7/4/2005 4:36:02 PM   
mnewcomb

Game type: Verse AI

Scenario: 1941 Start

Game difficulty: Impossible, with Fog of War, and Extra Fuel Cost -- I figured this would be hardest to beat.

Victroy level: Decisive in 1969 -- with more careful play could have finished up by 1964 -- got lazy.

Points awarded for each side: 8119 for Axis and -1140 for Allies

Key turning points or deciding factors: DIscussion about what you felt the game turned on.
The AI has positional weaknesses that allowed to win after 1950 or so.
Basically, if you take Panama (Central America) the Americans sort of ignor you. This results in the Pacific fleet not doing anything withitself after taking out Japan -- which is impossible to defend in impossible, but which does if used to attack the Russians wear out the Russians to allow the Germans to finish off the Russians in 1943 or 44.

Basically these are the errors I saw:
When using a German Armor early in the Game to go next to Suez Canal the Brits will through almost their entire Suez force against a empty german controlled El-Alamain (sp) and since I have used the Italian navy to put 7-8 German Inf in Palestine -- I always easily capture Suez (even under impossible) and further 1-4 Brit Air and 8-9 militia and 1 regular inf and on artillery will be stuck with no supply in El-Almain (sp).

I don't care if I lose 3 Armor wounded taking france as I never attack Russia until I have more Armor anyway, and I always take Leningrad on the first turn or will not attack.

I ignor subs, and eat up the German Heavy Fleets and Aircraft Carrier to feed my Air Fleets of range 3-4-5-6-7-8 bombers as bombers completely dominate the game under impossible. Fleets with Fuel on cost to much to use except for specific needs such as taking Palestine.

I generally build 10+ heavy german and 10+ heavy japanese bombers on the first turn as the German bombers with as much ground attack as possible will damage the British even (Southern Britian). I generally do not waste time on Spain -- in this game I did not take Gibralter until Mexico was on the plate, and simply bombed it into non-existance.

The Japanese heavy bombers I use to reduce the Chinese to nothing and at a point I turn them the Russians -- I almost always attack Russia in Fall 1942, I do not waste time attacking the Americans at all in the Pacific as the AI takes a few years to get to Japan giving Japan time to take the Western Urals a few times in a back and forth war with Russia while Germany continues a very aggressive Air war against the Allied Shipping and focuses on control of the Caucuses (Southern Russia).

The game could be improved by having the Americans once England is taken -- generally a partial take in Spring/Summer 1941 with a full completion the next good weather turn. This is because I build with Germany around 4-5 transport fleets and I simply suffer the partisan attacks from the British until I have enough militia to put in. Once England is gone, I move in mass (at whatever cost) the Armor back to Eastern Europe and do the standard taking of Leningrade and a save attackin the Fall so the first Russian winter is wasted as the russians do not have the ability to attack very aggressively with a fluid German defense -- finishing the improvement -- I would have the American remaining transport fleet defended by around 20-30 fighters on the US East Coast Until there are enough to actually mount a English Invasion. The North Africa thing is useless and weak strategy. As it stands the German air force per every other bomber pretty much takes out at least one transport fleet a turn until there are none left. Submarines for this purpose are a joke, their only real value is holding space when a land location with a fleet is taken so the fleet cannot retreat.

Secondly, when the Germans take out South America in 1944 or so, it is really wise if the Americans would aggressively attack -- even if it requires invading Mexico and put 10-20 Armor and inf in Central America. This way the American Pacific fleet can move to the aid of the Western Invasion, or optionally it should be programmed that if Germans show up in Eastern Russia and China that it initiates aggressive bombing of the German units with a counter invasion -- its only purpose should not be Japan once Japan is taken.

I would if I was the British / Allied player make a point of finding a technology to at least make India hard to take as a Southern German Strategy yields a fairly easy victory even with average/heavy losses by the Germans given the Germans start with a -4 modifier.

Finally, putting a sub next to Holland as well as a one plane attack on the Chechs is pretty clear as well as leaving the German fleet in port otherwise as it is a waste of critical supply to move the German fleet, and I also always use the Italians to bombard with the heavy fleets the Chechs the first turn if I have enough air left over as well as move the air with fire movement towards the Med. I seldom move the Italian (fleets light/heavy) more then one square at a time.

Attach a last turn save. How? I have one,

Attachment (1)

erk? I want to get to play a pbem WWII game

(in reply to 5cats)
Post #: 50
RE: Please report Game Results! - 7/8/2005 3:34:15 AM   
mnewcomb

This one was from the Allies side.
I ran it as Impossible, Fog of War, Fuel Costs
By 1943 Germany was pretty much done for.
By 1948 Germany fell -- simply a slow squeeze -- could have been done faster.
Used a series of quick invasions followed bomber attacks against France and Spain (Alternating), until I put in a heavy force in 1944/45.

Went after Japan in 1948, and it was conquered in its north and southern islands by 1951ish, but the game would not end, I think there is a bug where if Russia conquers most of japan it seems not to realize the whole game is over.

I couldn't find any way to get it to give me my victory, but I can say, that the same Bomber strategy in reverse that I used in the other Impossible, Fog of War, Fuel Costs done a few days ago worked even better for the Allies.

Someone wrote the game was tipped against the allies somewhere recently. That is hogwash. With good play against impossible I can probably end the Allies in 1965-68, while I can end the Axis in 1950 pretty easily.

The fact is all these games have a weakness in the area of Strategy verse Tactics. Same as in Chess. I am a USCF Postal master (2277) and I occasionally pick up draws against Chessmaster 10th Edition (rated 2900+) because it has no positional sense, only tactics. These games across the board suffer from a lack of analysis to simulate strategy WITH tactics. For example japan in this last game that I played could have (AI -- a bad term for this system) take out Australia, but simply sat there and left that factory alone, it further did weak assults into India which a Human would have easily have won. In short I am not winning these because of tactical brilliance, simply simple evaluations of the position and taking advantage of the games (so called AI) weaknesses tied to no programming by the programmers of any type of positional evaluation. I saw the same thing in a really enjoyable game that Gary wrote a few years back which was a very heavy land war game. This game has great graphics, but it should only be played by mail, which so far no one has challenged me. I would be very curious in how it would play on either side with a competent human player. my email for someone who is experienced and wants either side is mnewcomb@ultrahighfiber.com.

To date in these forums I have not seen anyone else with victories against the Impossible with any option, but really this system of computer programmed moves (so called AI) would have around a 300 rating under the USCF.

Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> After Action Reports >> RE: Please report Game Results! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI